ImageImageImage

Cavs 2019-2020 Regular Season

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavs 2019 off-season 

Post#81 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Cavs are supposedly kicking the tires on Bender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Well I guess considering how badly PHO has been at developing raw forwards like Chriss,Jackson and Bender... I would take a flier on him and see what Beilein can do with him. The shooting is decent not much else
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#82 » by Richfield » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:38 pm

I've watched a little footage on Bender to re-acquaint myself.

His highlights consist of about 9 standing catch and shoot three pointers followed be 1 wide open easy layup finish.

Then another 9 catch and shoots.

Does he do anything else at all?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#83 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Richfield wrote:

I've watched a little footage on Bender to re-acquaint myself.

His highlights consist of about 9 standing catch and shoot three pointers followed be 1 wide open easy layup finish.

Then another 9 catch and shoots.

Does he do anything else at all?

The knock on him is he's too soft for the league. He tries to avoid the contact too much for a big man. The hope was that he'd put some weight on so the physicality of the league wasn't so intimidating.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#85 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:21 pm

This is more of a 2020 off-season comment, but do you see the Cavs throwing max money at someone like Jaylen Brown next off-season letting them get a good young SF that would fit the timeline of the rest of the rest of the young players or at the very least putting Boston in a tough spot in needing to match? They'll end up with 36-45 mil in cap space if they don't take on longer deals for their expirings and if this team looks good I definitely could see that being a possibility.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Revenged25 wrote:This is more of a 2020 off-season comment, but do you see the Cavs throwing max money at someone like Jaylen Brown next off-season letting them get a good young SF that would fit the timeline of the rest of the rest of the young players or at the very least putting Boston in a tough spot in needing to match? They'll end up with 36-45 mil in cap space if they don't take on longer deals for their expirings and if this team looks good I definitely could see that being a possibility.

I'm not sure Brown is a small forward. I'm also not sure he's worth the max. He's had a pretty up and down career so far. At some point, the Cavs have to start thinking about Love's replacement. Big men take longer to develop and they've got nobody behind him.

The thing with Brown is that if he plays well this season, the Celtics are just going to match, or maybe even offer him a 5-year max. If he doesn't play well, then he's only had one good season out of four. Do you want to max that guy?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#87 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:This is more of a 2020 off-season comment, but do you see the Cavs throwing max money at someone like Jaylen Brown next off-season letting them get a good young SF that would fit the timeline of the rest of the rest of the young players or at the very least putting Boston in a tough spot in needing to match? They'll end up with 36-45 mil in cap space if they don't take on longer deals for their expirings and if this team looks good I definitely could see that being a possibility.

I'm not sure Brown is a small forward. I'm also not sure he's worth the max. He's had a pretty up and down career so far. At some point, the Cavs have to start thinking about Love's replacement. Big men take longer to develop and they've got nobody behind him.

The thing with Brown is that if he plays well this season, the Celtics are just going to match, or maybe even offer him a 5-year max. If he doesn't play well, then he's only had one good season out of four. Do you want to max that guy?

I was just looking at next years class and it seemed like Brown would've been the closest to an actual fit that might be able to get offers. I personally don't want to have to max him, but considering the likely other options for the Cavs, that one makes some sense if they were to target someone in FA, which I'm sure they will, he'd be the one I would at least put my money on to be able to turn the page on a different team even if he improved from last year, but didn't quite take that big step forward.

Also the only worthwhile PF I saw in FA was Siakam who is going to get the 5 year max by Toronto no questions asked.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#88 » by Richfield » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:34 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good. I think Cavs should set their expectations a little bit higher.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#89 » by Richfield » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:38 pm

I like Jaylen Brown. I don't like that teams are expected to pay their "best player" (if that's what he'd be on the Cavs) a "max contract". That's my whole issue with the max is teams feeling the need to use it on their best player. For some teams that aren't very good right now, their "best player" isn't a superstar. That's how Andrew Wiggins contracts happen. I'm all for players getting paid. But I think more guys can get paid what they're worth if they don't put all their eggs in a basket that can't hold them. Under more reasonable circumstance, that don't prevent us from adding other quality players, I'd love to get Jaylen Brown on the Cavs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:59 pm

Richfield wrote:I like Jaylen Brown. I don't like that teams are expected to pay their "best player" (if that's what he'd be on the Cavs) a "max contract". That's my whole issue with the max is teams feeling the need to use it on their best player. For some teams that aren't very good right now, their "best player" isn't a superstar. That's how Andrew Wiggins contracts happen. I'm all for players getting paid. But I think more guys can get paid what they're worth if they don't put all their eggs in a basket that can't hold them. Under more reasonable circumstance, that don't prevent us from adding other quality players, I'd love to get Jaylen Brown on the Cavs.
If Brown has a good season, he's getting maxed by someone. That's just reality. If he doesn't, he'll only have had one good season out of four and I'd offer him a team friendly deal that he'd probably turn down. He's an undersized SF. He really should be playing the 2 but his handle is shaky just like Wiggins

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#91 » by Richfield » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:03 pm

NOW is the time to bring over...

MIlan Macvan!
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#92 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:07 pm

^ LOL what the hell for? He 's pushing 30 man, never gonna happen
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#93 » by Richfield » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Figured he's worth a mention at least for a chuckle!
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#94 » by substancej » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Wizards are trying to hire Longabardi
Good riddance
Kevin Love finna get traded
ToneLocc
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#95 » by ToneLocc » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:37 pm

[url]

[/url]
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#96 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Who is he playing against? Pretty sure he should be dominating that level of competition, but it is nice to see that Knight's looking good though. If he can play well early on could make him more moveable at the DL.
ToneLocc
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#97 » by ToneLocc » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Who is he playing against? Pretty sure he should be dominating that level of competition, but it is nice to see that Knight's looking good though. If he can play well early on could make him more moveable at the DL.

Briante Webber, Dion Waiters, Derrick Jones Jr, Hassan Whiteside, Dewan Hernandez, Jeff Green, Chalmers, Amare.

I’m sure there’s some more fringe-NBA guys sprinkled in

Edit— but you’re right. You can’t put too much stock into these. Just good to see him playing confidently
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#98 » by Richfield » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:55 pm

Reports that Cavs might be interested in McLemore or Thornwell.

Shook my head at first at the first, but realized (hoped) it was only as a negotiation tool for the second.

Always liked Thornwell. Wouldn't mind giving him a look in Cleveland.
Richfield
Bench Warmer

Post#99 » by Richfield » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:21 pm

JP Macura signed to Exhibit 10 with Cavs.

I love that Cavs passed on one dimensional Bender for a more versatile player.

Not sure what he can do with this chance but I do know he's a fun player to watch and root for.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#100 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Richfield wrote:JP Macura signed to Exhibit 10 with Cavs.

I love that Cavs passed on one dimensional Bender for a more versatile player.

Not sure what he can do with this chance but I do know he's a fun player to watch and root for.

I am impressed with this front office a lot for this move...
Macura is one of the most overlooked solid young players in the league and it comes as no surprise
Charlotte failed to utilize him properly only using him twice... pathetic waste of a roster spot by them.
Those thinking he needs development are wrong. He is already NBA ready back up level player who is solid with no apparent weakness' just is not exceptional at any one thing either otherwise he would have been drafted in 2018.
Macura however was very reliable & was a strong presence in college making smart in game decisions and playing with Delly like tenacity.
Beilein type guy through and through with above avg shooting , cutting and passing tools along with good positional size off ball lateral quickness and decent above the rim pop athleticism and speed grabbing a lot of steals and turning them into transition points.
The biggest knocks on him in the draft imo aside from being a pretty strong draft in 2018, he never added much weight and likely won't with that frame, and he was already older. That being said I have no doubt he will emerge as a rotation player for this roster if they give him the chance.
Love this signing

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers