SPURS NAME TIM DUNCAN AND WILL HARDY AS ASSISTANT COACHES

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,655

SPURS NAME TIM DUNCAN AND WILL HARDY AS ASSISTANT COACHES 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:51 pm

GOATS MAKING GOAT MOVES, GOAT RECOGNIZES GOAT whatever the kids say these days, this is AMAZING! LOVE IT!:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: SPURS NAME TIM DUNCAN AND WILL HARDY AS ASSISTANT COACHES 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:24 pm

This rather monumental move is officially announced in such a Spursy way. So much understated GOATness in five short sentences. I love it!:

SPURS ANNOUNCE ASSISTANT COACH UPDATES

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that Will Hardy and Tim Duncan will be added to Gregg Popovich’s bench as assistant coaches.

Hardy first joined the Spurs as a basketball operations intern in 2010 after graduating from Williams College.

“Will Hardy is a talented, young basketball mind who has earned a great deal of respect from everyone in the organization thanks to his knowledge, spirit and personality,” said Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich.

Duncan, a 1997 Wake Forest graduate, played 19 seasons with the Spurs before retiring in the summer of 2016.

“It is only fitting, that after I served loyally for 19 years as Tim Duncan’s assistant, that he returns the favor,” said Popovich.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-announce-assistant-coach-updates
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,149

Post#3 » by imagump1313 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 pm

Pop's quote is amazing.

All the stupid talk of the Spurs culture changing since Timmy retired can stop also. He was always around the team in SA and now he will travel with them also.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:42 pm

I'm so happy for the team and so happy for Pop, both of whom have experienced more than a fair share of departures, and so while I offer huge congratulations to Will and Timmy, having the latter around for Pop especially, because they're so close and have such a great rapport, will bring about a renewed energy to the team. Their kind of cohesive synergy will seep through the team. I'm so excited!

It's a brilliant stealth move that bridges our corporate knowledge to a new generation of Spurs through a guy that players are familiar with and have great respect for. And just like that, we made the GOAT off-season move, second only to Pop re-signing.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,960

Post#5 » by Phreak50 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:23 am

Awesome :)
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,591

Post#6 » by Baphomet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:42 pm

imagump1313 wrote:Pop's quote is amazing.

All the stupid talk of the Spurs culture changing since Timmy retired can stop also. He was always around the team in SA and now he will travel with them also.

Yeah, the weird anti-Pop narratives that have formed since Duncan's retirement shows how infantile and "what have you done for me lately" NBA fans can be.

I love everything about this move. A sentimental part of me is hoping that he's grooming Timmy to be his successor, but I shouldn't be thinking that far ahead. For now, it's wonderful just to have one of the greatest coach/superstar duos reunited in a new context.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#7 » by -Sammy- » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Never in a thousand years would I have expected this, and even after knowing for more than a day, I'm finding it hard to process; I thought Timmy was done with the bright lights forever. Frankly, I still can't believe he's not a full-time resident of the Virgin Islands.

I'm intrigued by his long game; could he actually be thinking of being a HC some day? My guess is that he wants to see what coaching is like because he feels like he might want to look at HC opportunities at some point. This is an excellent way for him to find out.

I'm super-excited about it. He's my favorite athlete of all time and I think he has the temperament to be a good coach.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#8 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:39 pm

When TD was first coming to practices I remember Pop said he's too smart to sit on the bench with them. Meaning he's helping to coach and mentor the guys but doesn't want the stress of games. But I'm sure he misses the thrill of competition. Best case scenario TD takes Pops place in 5 years and Pop continues with the Front Office so he's still there to Mentor Timmy as he takes the reigns.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)

Return to San Antonio Spurs