ImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

FIBA World Cup 

Post#1 » by chakdaddy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:47 am

So Kemba and Tatum are on the team and Smart and Jaylen might join?

Any thoughts? Might be a nice team building chemistry exercise? Might count as championship #18? Can we hang a banner?
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Re: FIBA world cup 

Post#2 » by Slartibartfast » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:59 am

Roster is surprisingly low on star power.

It's nice that they got away from the big name hunting (and underappreciation of shooting/roleplaying) that brought them down in 04 but they might have veered a bit too far in the other direction.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#3 » by Edug27 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Roster is surprisingly low on star power.

It's nice that they got away from the big name hunting (and underappreciation of shooting/roleplaying) that brought them down in 04 but they might have veered a bit too far in the other direction.

Not by choice. The big names have little to no interest in playing.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,221

Post#4 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:18 am

chakdaddy wrote:So Kemba and Tatum are on the team and Smart and Jaylen might join?

Any thoughts? Might be a nice team building chemistry exercise? Might count as championship #18? Can we hang a banner?

Read on Twitter

Smart's now on the Training Camp Roster, for Team USA Basketball.
And Jaylen Brown may follow. He's on the "short list".

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,671

Post#5 » by yeahM8 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:10 am

I’m all about this! More playing time together = more better imo
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#6 » by Green89 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:10 am

I think there's a good 6 games to be played for the team making it to the finals.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,860

Post#7 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#8 » by Tiny ball » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Edug27 wrote:

Why would would they. Their bodies need rest and strength training to get through another long NBA season.. Plus adding something to their game. Even young players I don't think it is good idea. Smart is a walking injury no way would I want him to play in any meaningful game if I was paying him.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#9 » by 3D Chess » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:39 pm

So now Lillard is out... Is Kemba the starting PG?
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#10 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Kemba is the best PG now after Lillard dropped out. Lowry should recover his hand injury.

Harris out too, hope all Celtics make the roster.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#11 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:29 pm

Business Insider:
Here is the current roster, which will have new additions because of the dropouts:

Guards: Walker, Lowry, Donovan Mitchell

Wings: Middleton, Jayson Tatum, Kyle Kuzma, Harrison Barnes, P.J. Tucker

Bigs: Kevin Love, Andre Drummond, Myles Turner, Paul Millsap, Brook Lopez

Charania reported on Tuesday that Jaylen Brown and Julius Randle were added to the roster.

Hope Lowry, Barnes and Tucker gets cut or one (Lowry) drops out to get all Celtics in.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 630

Post#12 » by remi_222 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Vincent Poirier will be here for you guys to keep up your mood !
Yabu is part of the reserve players so he'll probably be part of the training camp, but i doubt he'll make the team
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#13 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Why would would they. Their bodies need rest and strength training to get through another long NBA season.. Plus adding something to their game. Even young players I don't think it is good idea. Smart is a walking injury no way would I want him to play in any meaningful game if I was paying him.

Yeah, Celtics could have Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum for USA. And Semi for Nigeria, Poirier for France, Theis for Germany. Seems really risky to have 7 of your top-10ish players in this tournament. Luckily Kanter is who he is so we don't have to deal with him playing for Turkey.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#14 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:47 pm

This tournament just went from another complete waste of NBA players time, into a must-watch with all our best players playing! Haha.

I like this trend though, I think any player that has made more than 2 all-stars shouldn't play in meaningless international basketball tournaments. They're worth nothing and could lead to injury. Let the younger players build their $brand$ and gain some experience. Not a full reboot to college only players, but a half measure between.

edit: Good point by Tiny Ball, I forgot with the exception of his breakout season Smart is an extremely injury prone player. He should sit this out. Not worth it at all.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#15 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter

6 or 7 Celtics, in the FIBA World Cup, huh?
Half the team is playing. -- That's our First Training Camp.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#16 » by 2Mas » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:10 pm

I'd assume Lowry would sit out. Really don't see why he'd play. Can't see Team usa keeping that many bigs. Love, Drummond, Lopez, Millsap, Young, Turner, Randle is a lot of pf/c's. Not including Barnes, Tucker, Tatum, Kuzma who could all play some 4 for the team.

Yeah think of the C's make it. Gonna be really short on guards. Walker/ Middleton -- Smart / Mitchell -- Brown. They should all make it.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#17 » by Tiny ball » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Yeah, Celtics could have Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum for USA. And Semi for Nigeria, Poirier for France, Theis for Germany. Seems really risky to have 7 of your top-10ish players in this tournament. Luckily Kanter is who he is so we don't have to deal with him playing for Turkey.

Yes it would appear the Celtics front office wants to sabatoge the team before the season starts. Not shocking with Danny and Brad. On the bright side we have some fun rookies to watch when those guys are broke down in hospitals and rehab. Carsen Edwards shooting us into the eastern conference finals would be a blast to watch. Be so great Brad was forced to play Tacko.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#18 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter

1. Were all the mass dropouts from the World Cup really necessary?
2. Do we still have enough talent to Win in the World Cup; and the Olympics?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#19 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: Why would would they. Their bodies need rest and strength training to get through another long NBA season.. Plus adding something to their game. Even young players I don't think it is good idea. Smart is a walking injury no way would I want him to play in any meaningful game if I was paying him.

Yes it would appear the Celtics front office wants to sabatoge the team before the season starts. Not shocking with Danny and Brad. On the bright side we have some fun rookies to watch when those guys are broke down in hospitals and rehab. Carsen Edwards shooting us into the eastern conference finals would be a blast to watch. Be so great Brad was forced to play Tacko.

You seem to have a real Negative view of Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#20 » by ParticleMan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:38 pm

if we had title aspirations i would be worried about burnout. but given that we've got a new team that needs as much time together as possible, particularly our main guys kemba and the jays and marcus, this is awesome. playing against poirier and theis will also help. too bad about semi, wonder why he is not playing.

Return to Boston Celtics