ImageImageImage

Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15)

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Fri May 24, 2019 9:15 pm

One of the most interesting parts of 2019 off-season is the upcoming World Cup in China, during the first half of September, considering that both biggest stars of the Nuggets team, Nikola Jokic (Serbia) and Jamal Murray (Canada), are leading stars of two legit medal contenders Serbia and Canada. For Canada will most likely play Trey Lyles too, but we don't know will he play in Denver next season. Torrey Craig is a member of the Australia national team, and most probably Juancho Hernangomez will play for Spain. Australia and Spain are also medal contenders. Paul Millsap is the oldest player out of 20 which Greg Popovic called to join Las Vegas for preparations. He will probably not be part of final 12, except in case too many players withdraw from the USA team.

Chances (Odds):

Draw (Groups):
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Re: Nuggets players at FIBA World Cup 2019 (China, Aug 31 - Sep 15) 

Post#2 » by Coeur » Sat May 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Glad the Nugs have some of the worlds best. Can only help. Just have to hope for the best results for them, their teams, and their health for the Nugs

Canada- who all plays on that team? I know they kept thinking they’d be getting better.

Australia is interesting. They didn’t want Simmons? Now I think he is playing?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#3 » by The Rebel » Sat May 25, 2019 3:44 pm

Canada looks to have a tough bracket, but they have a talented young team headlined by Murray of course. RJ Barrett (likely 3rd overall pick), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Dillon Brooks, Corey Joseph, Nik Stauskas, Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell, and Kelly Olynyk are all NBA players that are likely to be on the roster. They are going to have to gel quick though as Senegal is the weakest team they face in the opening round and they are likely the best team from Africa. Australia and LIthuania are likely to be good teams themselves.
FilNugsFan
Sophomore
And1: 255

Post#4 » by FilNugsFan » Tue May 28, 2019 6:40 am

I'm pretty excited to see our Philippine team go up against the Joker and the rest of Team Serbia in the opening round.

We'll probably lose that one, but it should be fun.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#5 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Paul Millsap is chosen to be part of USA National 20 players Team Camp in Las Vegas in Early August. But I guess younger players will get the advantage for the final 12-players cut.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#6 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:48 am

After several withdraws which hit the USA national team this week, but also some international players withdrew too, Denver Nuggets are the only team which 4 starters will most probably play on FIBA world cup in China (Murray, Craig, Millsap, Jokic)! Two other teams, Bucks and Jazz, will have three starters in China if there is no new withdraws.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#7 » by Manolito » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:41 am

IMHO it is a joke that Milsap is participating at the Worldcup. He is getting paid 30M, is 34 and has lost more than 50 games in the last two seasons.

Sent from my Aquaris M5 using RealGM mobile app
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Manolito wrote:IMHO it is a joke that Milsap is participating at the Worldcup. He is getting paid 30M, is 34 and has lost more than 50 games in the last two seasons.

Worldcup is not just about the best or most famous player. It is difficult to form a team attitude in a short period of time. Coaches all have their preferences regarding player types and Millsap is certainly a team-first, all-around solid player.

As for losing over 50 games; he also won more than 100. :lol:
Manolito
Senior
And1: 391

Post#9 » by Manolito » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:59 pm

I actually meant that he should be resting at home trying to be prepared for such a challenging season with a team that is paying him 30M.

By losing games I meant he did not play because he was injured.

It does not seem to be the best idea to spend two months with usab when he will be 35, specially after he completely ran out of gas during Portland series.

Sent from my Aquaris M5 using RealGM mobile app
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#10 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:15 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Manolito wrote:IMHO it is a joke that Milsap is participating at the Worldcup. He is getting paid 30M, is 34 and has lost more than 50 games in the last two seasons.

Worldcup is not just about the best or most famous player. It is difficult to form a team attitude in a short period of time. Coaches all have their preferences regarding player types and Millsap is certainly a team-first, all-around solid player.

As for losing over 50 games; he also won more than 100. :lol:

To be honest, when Greg Popovic couple weeks ago announces 20 names list for US Camp Las Vegas preparations, I was almost sure that Millsap will be one of these 8 which will not travel to China, as clearly oldest. But after so many late withdraws I'm not so sure now.

Here is an original list of 20 USA NT players for Las Vegas camp:
G Bradley Beal Wizards
G Eric Gordon Rockets (withdrew)
G James Harden Rockets (withdrew)

G Damian Lillard Trail Blazers
G Kyle Lowry Raptors (surgery report, but still not officially withdrew)
G CJ McCollum Trail Blazers
G Donovan Mitchell Jazz
G Kemba Walker Hornets
F Harrison Barnes Kings
F Tobias Harris 76ers
F Kyle Kuzma Lakers
F Kevin Love Cavaliers
F Khris Middleton Bucks
F Paul Millsap Nuggets
F Jayson Tatum Celtics
F P.J. Tucker Rockets
F/C Anthony Davis Pelicans (withdrew)
C Andre Drummond Pistons
C Brook Lopez Bucks
C Myles Turner Pacers

Despite so many withdraws, I still believe Millsap will not play this FIBA WC because all USA players which withdraw so far (except Anthony Davis) are guards. If Lowry withdraws too as expected after latest surgery, I even expecting some urgent calls of some new guards outside these 20 names to join US team. It would be hilarious if Pop call Gary Harris too, so entire Nuggets starting lineups would be involved, while all other ring contenders except Nuggets, Bucks, and Jazz, playing dirty about this.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#11 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:07 pm

Lillard, Beal, and T.Harris are withdrawing in the meantime, while Celtics Brown and Smart are added.

Nuggets, Jazz, Bucks, and Celtics send 4-5 players each, while other contenders send zero players or just one :noway:
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:42 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Paul Millsap is chosen to be part of USA National 20 players Team Camp in Las Vegas in Early August. But I guess younger players will get the advantage for the final 12-players cut.

Most of the bigger names have already been pulling out so PM has a good shot at the team IMO. Interesting, most foreign players that are in the NBA are joining up with their Nat'l teams while US players are pulling out to prepare for their NBA teams...priorities or loyalties ????
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#13 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:02 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:Paul Millsap is chosen to be part of USA National 20 players Team Camp in Las Vegas in Early August. But I guess younger players will get the advantage for the final 12-players cut.

Most of the bigger names have already been pulling out so PM has a good shot at the team IMO. Interesting, most foreign players that are in the NBA are joining up with their Nat'l teams while US players are pulling out to prepare for their NBA teams...priorities or loyalties ????
It is obviously connected in which team they playing too. Horford and Simmons are foreign stars and Tobias Harris get USA NT call, but after all-three signed max deals with Sixers this summer, all three withdraws lately.

The pressure on foreign stars is way bigger because of players like Giannis, Jokic, Gobert, Vucevic... are so much better than anyone else in their NT, and even some mediocre players for NBA standards are irreplaceable in their national teams, while the USA team stays overwhelming favorite even without any of their 15 best players.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:38 am

THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

It is obviously connected in which team they playing too. Horford and Simmons are foreign stars and Tobias Harris get USA NT call, but after all-three signed max deals with Sixers this summer, all three withdraws lately.

The pressure on foreign stars is way bigger because of players like Giannis, Jokic, Gobert, Vucevic... are so much better than anyone else in their NT, and even some mediocre players for NBA standards are irreplaceable in their national teams, while the USA team stays overwhelming favorite even without any of their 15 best players.

Another misguided presumption considering AD (LAL), McCollum (POR), Gordon & Harden (HOU) have also withdrawn, no correlation among those players as to signing big deals
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#15 » by THE J0KER » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:30 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Another misguided presumption considering AD (LAL), McCollum (POR), Gordon & Harden (HOU) have also withdrawn, no correlation among those players as to signing big deals
But just like Philadelphia, these teams are contenders. But as I already noted, some other contenders, Nuggets, Bucks, Jazz, and Celtics are fair about this, and all will have 5+ players in China, including their biggest stars. I've mentioned Sixers because they are the team with 3 big international stars and 2 notable US players, but nobody will play in China this year - it can't be a coincidence.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,616

Post#17 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:58 pm

I think serbia can actually won this thing, that team is STACKED
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#18 » by The Rebel » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:19 pm

Milsap withdrawing and plumlee being put in should help some of you guys ease your fears. I personally think this is shaping up like the 2002 World cup in Indiana, that was a disaster for team USA and it appears this will be as well.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#19 » by THE J0KER » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:46 pm

The Rebel wrote:Milsap withdrawing and plumlee being put in should help some of you guys ease your fears. I personally think this is shaping up like the 2002 World cup in Indiana, that was a disaster for team USA and it appears this will be as well.

That 2002 team was individually much better than the current USA team after all those withdraws, but they have ridiculous preparations like WC is some kind of prolonged all-star weekend, unlike current team which will make some serious preparations under Greg Popovic.

Despite USA-2019 team already don't have big stars like Giannis (Greece) or Jokic (Serbia), they are still overwhelming favorites to win the gold thanks to "quantity". A TOP10 player of every pg-sg-sf-pf-c position playing for the USA in starting lineup (so, they all are TOP50 level), and most of the backup options are NBA starters.
Kemba-Mitchell-Middleton-Kuzma-Drummond (6th Turner) are best starting lineup, while the backup lineup Lowry-Brown-Tatum-Randle-B.Lopez (6th Harrell) would be TOP3 lineup too.
aleksandarser
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#20 » by aleksandarser » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:42 am

1'st NBA team

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Return to Denver Nuggets