ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Nic Claxton Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,826

Re: The Official Nic Claxton Thread 

Post#21 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 pm

I literally said that the dude will be in the G League and some of yall act like I said he'll be starting from day one. He has a lot to work on but i can see him playing PF in our system based on his skillset in time.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#22 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I literally said that the dude will be in the G League and some of yall act like I said he'll be starting from day one. He has a lot to work on but i can see him playing PF in our system based on his skillset in time.

Yea he reminds me of Siakam a little bit, a tall lanky power forward that can dribble and score a little bit but needs time developing like Siakam. If he can move his feet quick enough to defend the 4's of today and knockdown the 3 , then he can play definitely be a power forward despite how tall he is.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#23 » by JoseRizal » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm

He’s definitely a 4. Moves very fast, quick laterals & can shoot the 3. What really impresses me however is his defense. He’s able to lock down guards, can defend the pnr & good help D as well. He can definitely compliment Allen, but both needs to build muscle mass, otherwise we’ll be looking at the toothpick twin towers.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#24 » by Paradise » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#25 » by Prokorov » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:29 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I literally said that the dude will be in the G League and some of yall act like I said he'll be starting from day one. He has a lot to work on but i can see him playing PF in our system based on his skillset in time.

yea... he is like a black left handed kurucs. really savy and plays with a chip on his shoulder. alot of similarities with his cutting and agression in transition.

not sure if he is a 4 or a 5 but coming off the bench it matters less
Paradise

The Official Nic Claxton Thread 

Post#26 » by Paradise » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Prokorov wrote:

yea... he is like a black left handed kurucs. really savy and plays with a chip on his shoulder. alot of similarities with his cutting and agression in transition.

not sure if he is a 4 or a 5 but coming off the bench it matters less

He’s a prospect that would be considered a poor man’s Marvin Bagley.

Read on Twitter
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#27 » by Rockice_24 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:33 pm

For what it's worth ESPN had him rated at #15 based on their analytical measure. Always nice to hear that analytically he is rated that high. Seems like we have a great analytics staff which is why we liked him so much.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#28 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:16 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:For what it's worth ESPN had him rated at #15 based on their analytical measure. Always nice to hear that analytically he is rated that high. Seems like we have a great analytics staff which is why we liked him so much.

It's probably why Marks said to hell with wasting money on a 1st round pick in the late 20s when the guy he wanted would be there with the Knicks pick.

I would love to get some insider info on the Nets' draft night process. They always seem to have a steady hand.

Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#29 » by Rockice_24 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:26 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:For what it's worth ESPN had him rated at #15 based on their analytical measure. Always nice to hear that analytically he is rated that high. Seems like we have a great analytics staff which is why we liked him so much.

It's probably why Marks said to hell with wasting money on a 1st round pick in the late 20s when the guy he wanted would be there with the Knicks pick.

I would love to get some insider info on the Nets' draft night process. They always seem to have a steady hand.

We needed that extra 2M though to ensure we could fit in KD. I don't think Marks was risking getting or not getting Claxton over losing that extra space for KD. That was a move that was happening if Claxton was gonna be at #31 or not.

I do love that we are so analytics driven. Whatever it is as long as Marks keeps finding these late round gems I'll be happy.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#30 » by GTR11 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:46 am

Will definitely pay attention during summer league.
bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#31 » by bud29 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:13 am

This guy sure is interesting.
Read on Twitter

Fluid, 7-foot athletes don't grow on trees. How many centers are that comfortable running the floor and going coast to coast like Claxton does? He's awfully raw but has a sky-high ceiling.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#32 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:00 am

bud29 wrote:This guy sure is interesting.
Read on Twitter

Fluid, 7-foot athletes don't grow on trees. How many centers are that comfortable going running the floor and going coast to coast like Claxton does? He's awfully raw but has a sky-high ceiling.

i think he is a F in our system. he is more Kuruvs then allen
Paradise

Post#33 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 9, 2019 5:44 am

LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#34 » by LOUiS-D » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:34 am

Long strides, secure handles, fluid mover, long arms, gets to his spot, finishes with contact. Interesting skill set.
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#35 » by Lamak » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:31 pm

not sure what position he could play, but his length could come in handy. i like mikki moore comparison. siakam vibes as well.
Brooklyn Nets
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#36 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:16 am

I like his ball handle and soft touch around the rim, he also has some nice body control when he gets in the air and gets hit. He is definitely a 4 in our system and not a C.

It will be good for him next season to get into practice and play versus Kevin Durant. I think he can learn a lot from KD.

i can't believe I just typed out the last sentence.

LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#37 » by LOUiS-D » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:49 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I like his ball handle and soft touch around the rim, he also has some nice body control when he gets in the air and gets hit. He is definitely a 4 in our system and not a C.

It will be good for him next season to get into practice and play versus Kevin Durant. I think he can learn a lot from KD.

i can't believe I just typed out the last sentence.

It'll be like when KG was mentoring future hall of famer Mason Plumlee.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#38 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Lamak wrote:not sure what position he could play, but his length could come in handy. i like mikki moore comparison. siakam vibes as well.

He is a forward... nothing like Mikki Moore. Mikki was never a pick and roll ball handler. he was never crossing guys up in isolation at the top of the key. he wasnt taking pull up wing threes. he wasnt going coash to coast with behind the back dribbles.

I know the guy is almost 7 feet and people just think he is the next Allen or something but that isnt who he is. He was a PG in high school and was recruited as a swingman. He had a late growth spurt. he has wing handles and skills.

This is NOT stuff you see Jarrett Allen or Mikkie Moore doing:

The best comparison/upside for Claxton is Tayshaun prince. look at a young prince
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#39 » by kamaze » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:28 pm

Nets coach Kenny Atkinson likes to describe as the modern NBA center — long, athletic, ready to defend the rim on defense, operate on the perimeter and roll to the basket on offense.

The same with Henry Ellenson.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#40 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Nic Claxton was a point guard in HS. So was Anthony Davis. Both guys might prefer to play the PF or even wing-forward, but when it comes down to winning, their best position to close out games is at C.

At PF or especially SF, Nic is a liability due to limited ball-handling and playmaking ability. Great for a 7-footer, but extremely raw for a SF. Can he consistently keep up with Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard, off of flare screens or in P&R defense? He can switch admirably I'm sure, but no coach wants Nic's primary responsibility to be chasing those guys around. It's a waste of his talent.

On the Mikki Moore comparison, I'm sure someone could compile a video of OOH and AAH moments for him as well, to compare favorably with Nic. The Mikki comp is not a knock. If he were brought up in this era, you'd better believe he'd have been hoisting 3's. He would have been encouraged to bring up the ball more. Otherwise, their games are quite similar. Tayshaun could check 1's all day long in his prime, that's not going to happen with Claxton. And that's cool, we still have a heckuva 2nd-round gem.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Brooklyn Nets