ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Nic Claxton Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: The Official Nic Claxton Thread 

Post#41 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Nic Claxton was a point guard in HS. So was Anthony Davis. Both guys might prefer to play the PF or even wing-forward, but when it comes down to winning, their best position to close out games is at C.

At PF or especially SF, Nic is a liability due to limited ball-handling and playmaking ability. Great for a 7-footer, but extremely raw for a SF. Can he consistently keep up with Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard, off of flare screens or in P&R defense? He can switch admirably I'm sure, but no coach wants Nic's primary responsibility to be chasing those guys around. It's a waste of his talent.

On the Mikki Moore comparison, I'm sure someone could compile a video of OOH and AAH moments for him as well, to compare favorably with Nic. The Mikki comp is not a knock. If he were brought up in this era, you'd better believe he'd have been hoisting 3's. He would have been encouraged to bring up the ball more. Otherwise, their games are quite similar. Tayshaun could check 1's all day long in his prime, that's not going to happen with Claxton. And that's cool, we still have a heckuva 2nd-round gem.

the mikki moore comparison is absolutlely terrible and a lazy one.

those vidoes are not about highlight or oohs and aahs. its about showing his skillset.

-show me the mikki moore video where he is the pick and roll ball handler?
-show me the mikki moore video where he gets a rebound, crosses a guy at mid court and goes coast to coast
-show me the mikki moore video where he takes an off-the-dribble wing three
-Show me the mikki moore video where he drives right, spins and takes a step back mid-range jumper

those are not things mikki moore ever did or was capable of. Claxton is every bit the ball handler kurucs is and as a lefty has a small inherit advantage there. he is every bit a F for us. He might be mikki moore as far as impact/how good he is overall, but his game is polar opposite of moore who was basically alergic to dribbling.

The prince comparison (as far as style/skillset) is much more comparable. although he clearly isnt the prospect prince was and likely his ceiling falls short of that.

Likewise, he is nothing like Jarrett Allen either, other then both are 7 feet and really enjoy dunking
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#42 » by Claud » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:04 pm

Interesting comp, Prok. If we could get Claxton to give us what Prince gave to those Pistons squads from early 2000s then we have another gem at our hands.

The previous poster said he doesn't see Clax guarding 1s but from what I've seen he can guard 1-5 which is one of his strengths. You think the Fro is a mobile big? Claxton is actually taller and faster than Allen but with better ballhandling/passing. Claxton's calling card in the NBA will be defense in my mind which is why I lowkey like the Prince comparisons.

The truth is we'll just have to wait and see how he progresses during his rookie deal but the kid has a lot of excellent tools in the bag for the 31st pick in an okay draft.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#43 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:08 pm

Claud wrote:Interesting comp, Prok. If we could get Claxton to give us what Prince gave to those Pistons squads from early 2000s then we have another gem at our hands.

The previous poster said he doesn't see Clax guarding 1s but from what I've seen he can guard 1-5 which is one of his strengths. You think the Fro is a mobile big? Claxton is actually taller and faster than Allen but with better ballhandling/passing. Claxton's calling card in the NBA will be defense in my mind which is why I lowkey like the Prince comparisons.

The truth is we'll just have to wait and see how he progresses during his rookie deal but the kid has a lot of excellent tools in the bag for the 31st pick in an okay draft.

To be clear, im comparing Claxton to Prince in their stlye of play, not in their overall ability.

Claxton isnt the shooter or overall calibur or player prince was, even as a rookie. but their games are very similar

and i agree. claxton can gaurd 1-5
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#44 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:59 pm

To be clear, I agree that Claxton can guard 1-5. The difference for Tay was that he could THRIVE all-game guarding 1's, or really any perimeter player.

Also to be clear, you're not going to see footage of Mikki doing all of the things that Nic does, because it's a different era. Bigmen of a middling skill set were not encouraged to freelance with ball-handling and passing opportunities. Honestly, even the premier PFs and C's before the 90's would be called to the bench for not handing off the ball to their guards and ducking down into the paint. It's a different game now. Nic's skill set is not so different, only more encouraged. If Claxton were playing in the 80's, he wouldn't dare do some of the things he does with the basketball, because a coach would yank him. Look at Mikki's form and frame. Look at his spin move, his footwork aroudn the basket. I'm not just pulling a name of a former Net, he's really the closest comp of anyone I've seen in the league over the last 30 years. When dealing with players of different era's, you have to make apples-to-apples comparisons. Of the things that bigmen do then that they still do now, Moore and Claxton are twins.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#45 » by kamaze » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 pm

quote="kamaze"]
Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:

So Claxton isn't 6'11? He's not athletic like Allen? He's not a shot blocker? He shot 3's better than Allen did in college and the center taking 3's is part of the offense...This is just you being stubborn for no reason.

dwayne wade was a shot blocker. would you compare him to allen?
Dirk was 6'11" would you compare him to allen

-when have you ever seen Jarrett allen bring the ball up court and initiate the pick and roll as the ball handler?
-When have you seen allen grab a rebound, cross a guy up at mid court, and finish coast to coast?
-when have you ever seen Allen drive to his off hand then take a step-back 18 foot shot?
-when have you ever seen allen take a top of the k ey or wing three off the dribble?
-when have you ever seen allen catch at 18+ feet out and beat his man off the dribble drive for a lay-in dunk?

these are not things allen does but things that Claxton did on the regular at UG. MAybe they play Claxton at center when they want to go 5-out like the rockets, but he is certainly alot more similar to trevor booker and kurucs then he is to allen or jordan

Dwayne Wade's a shooting guard wtf do you bring him up? Dirk will be a HOF 7 footer for scoring of jump shots but he checks of 3 out of 5 skills on the list.
long, athletic, ready to defend the rim on defense, operate on the perimeter and roll to the basket on offense.

Remember Dirk was a power forward mainly in his career, he didn't have the physicality or toughness to play as a center.

Nick Claxton is more mobile and a better ball handler than Jarrett that's all it is. And he did bring the ball up in summer league trying out new things. Being able to bring the ball up is one of the things the coach expects from a modern NBA center.[/quote]
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#46 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:49 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:To be clear, I agree that Claxton can guard 1-5. The difference for Tay was that he could THRIVE all-game guarding 1's, or really any perimeter player.

Also to be clear, you're not going to see footage of Mikki doing all of the things that Nic does, because it's a different era. Bigmen of a middling skill set were not encouraged to freelance with ball-handling and passing opportunities. Honestly, even the premier PFs and C's before the 90's would be called to the bench for not handing off the ball to their guards and ducking down into the paint. It's a different game now. Nic's skill set is not so different, only more encouraged. If Claxton were playing in the 80's, he wouldn't dare do some of the things he does with the basketball, because a coach would yank him. Look at Mikki's form and frame. Look at his spin move, his footwork aroudn the basket. I'm not just pulling a name of a former Net, he's really the closest comp of anyone I've seen in the league over the last 30 years. When dealing with players of different era's, you have to make apples-to-apples comparisons. Of the things that bigmen do then that they still do now, Moore and Claxton are twins.

you admit morre is nothing like Claxton, then go on to say he is the closest comparison in 30 years?

yes bigmen of the prior generation didnt do the things claxton did, which is why it makes zero sense to compare him to those guys whose games were nothing like claxton.

Claxton is a tweener F/Big who handled the ball not just on occasion, but a TON. who thrived on handling the ball, who worked as apick and roll ball handler, who took tons of jump shots and alot of threes.

mikki moore did NONE o f that.

there is not a worse possible comparison then mikki moore other then they both had similar hair
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#47 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:50 pm

kamaze wrote:quote="kamaze"]
Prokorov wrote:
kamaze wrote:

So Claxton isn't 6'11? He's not athletic like Allen? He's not a shot blocker? He shot 3's better than Allen did in college and the center taking 3's is part of the offense...This is just you being stubborn for no reason.

dwayne wade was a shot blocker. would you compare him to allen?
Dirk was 6'11" would you compare him to allen

-when have you ever seen Jarrett allen bring the ball up court and initiate the pick and roll as the ball handler?
-When have you seen allen grab a rebound, cross a guy up at mid court, and finish coast to coast?
-when have you ever seen Allen drive to his off hand then take a step-back 18 foot shot?
-when have you ever seen allen take a top of the k ey or wing three off the dribble?
-when have you ever seen allen catch at 18+ feet out and beat his man off the dribble drive for a lay-in dunk?

these are not things allen does but things that Claxton did on the regular at UG. MAybe they play Claxton at center when they want to go 5-out like the rockets, but he is certainly alot more similar to trevor booker and kurucs then he is to allen or jordan

Dwayne Wade's a shooting guard wtf do you bring him up? Dirk will be a HOF 7 footer for scoring of jump shots but he checks of 3 out of 5 skills on the list.
long, athletic, ready to defend the rim on defense, operate on the perimeter and roll to the basket on offense.

Remember Dirk was a power forward mainly in his career, he didn't have the physicality or toughness to play as a center.

Nick Claxton is more mobile and a better ball handler than Jarrett that's all it is. And he did bring the ball up in summer league trying out new things. Being able to bring the ball up is one of the things the coach expects from a modern NBA center.
[/quote]

it wasnt "trying out new things". Claxton was one of georgias primary ball handlers
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#48 » by Netaman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:52 am

Claxton made 18 3's last year in 32 games. His skillset is really intriguing but he's got a long way to go. It's really hard for me to think of a good comp for him, but the best I can come up with is a bigger, rawer, less skilled, version of Tayshaun Prince. Prince obviously played all 4 years in college and was much more dominant on the ball so he was able to develop that more consistent game - especially his shooting. But he similarly his greatest asset was his length and ability to disrupt on the defensive end. Offensively he was just good enough at everything to be a good role player but not standout in any area. He could pass a little, drive a little, and shoot a little. And obviously finish in transition. Maybe a more skilled/perimeter oriented version of Camby?

Poor man's Kirilenko isn't the craziest comp either, but that would obviously be a very high end outcome.

Early on I expect him to be mostly an energy guy like Hakim Warrick/Sean Williams. Where he goes from there will depend on how many of his skills improve/develop.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#49 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:50 pm

I agree that the Mikki Moore comparisons are terrible. The ONLY things Claxton & Moore have in common are frame (somewhat) and hair. They're very different players beyond that. If anything, he's a very raw version of Lamar Odom.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#50 » by Netaman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:29 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:I agree that the Mikki Moore comparisons are terrible. The ONLY things Claxton & Moore have in common are frame (somewhat) and hair. They're very different players beyond that. If anything, he's a very raw version of Lamar Odom.

Lamar Odom was multiple tiers higher as a prospect. That's just not a fair comparison for Claxton. As a 20 year old in the NBA he started 70 games, averaged 17 ppg / 8 reb / 4 assts / 1+ steal / 1+ block and shot 36% from 3. He's not just raw compared to Odom, he is significantly less talented offensively. Odom had a similarly diverse stat line in his 1 dominant year at Rhode Island before entering the NBA, and he was 4th pick in the draft, behind 3 other all stars, for a reason - he had enormous talent.

Claxton is entering initially with a profile/skillset much more suited to being an energy guy, with offensive skill that's going to need to develop in a number of areas before it's at an NBA level. The ball handling and shot blocking does make him highly intriguing. He's kind of like a taller version of Rodi - who we all love and far exceeded our expectations last year starting 46 games, and yet still has a very long way to go to develop his own offensive game and become more than an energy guy. As a starter he averaged 9 pts / 4 rebs / 1 asst and shot just 32% from 3. I think any accurate comparison for Claxton likely needs to start with long, athletic, energy guys whose offense was very raw when they stepped into the NBA. Mikki Moore isn't a terrible comp but it's really a worst case since he was a fringe NBA player at best.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#51 » by PerkinsFor3 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Havent watched Claxton a lot, but how about something like WCS/rookie Noah?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#52 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:Havent watched Claxton a lot, but how about something like WCS/rookie Noah?

Not really similar to either of those guys. he spends most of his time handling the ball, on the perimeter. nothing close to the defensive beast or beast on the glass noah was.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#53 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:11 pm

Netaman wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I agree that the Mikki Moore comparisons are terrible. The ONLY things Claxton & Moore have in common are frame (somewhat) and hair. They're very different players beyond that. If anything, he's a very raw version of Lamar Odom.

Lamar Odom was multiple tiers higher as a prospect. That's just not a fair comparison for Claxton. As a 20 year old in the NBA he started 70 games, averaged 17 ppg / 8 reb / 4 assts / 1+ steal / 1+ block and shot 36% from 3. He's not just raw compared to Odom, he is significantly less talented offensively. Odom had a similarly diverse stat line in his 1 dominant year at Rhode Island before entering the NBA, and he was 4th pick in the draft, behind 3 other all stars, for a reason - he had enormous talent.

Claxton is entering initially with a profile/skillset much more suited to being an energy guy, with offensive skill that's going to need to develop in a number of areas before it's at an NBA level. The ball handling and shot blocking does make him highly intriguing. He's kind of like a taller version of Rodi - who we all love and far exceeded our expectations last year starting 46 games, and yet still has a very long way to go to develop his own offensive game and become more than an energy guy. As a starter he averaged 9 pts / 4 rebs / 1 asst and shot just 32% from 3. I think any accurate comparison for Claxton likely needs to start with long, athletic, energy guys whose offense was very raw when they stepped into the NBA. Mikki Moore isn't a terrible comp but it's really a worst case since he was a fringe NBA player at best.

the comparisons to Odom, Prince, etc are not for skill level/ceiling/expections... but on skill set and style.

Claxton could not be further opposite from mikki moore unless he was 5'5"
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Official Nic Claxton Thread 

Post#54 » by Paradise » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Kyrie and Spencer call Claxton the 2nd most talented player on the team. Backing up comments from KD, DJ, Atkinson. Wow.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#55 » by Papi_swav » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Wow big praises and huge expectations. Can't wait to see more of the kid.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#56 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:12 am

And where did he play? At the 5, where his skills are most useful. I'm sure he can get minutes at the 4 in a pinch, but in most cases, you put yourself at a disadvantage in today's NBA if he's not your C. As a pivot, he bring special qualities in addition to all of the basics.

I'm proud of Nic, and I hope to see plenty more of him soon. GO NETS!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#57 » by NetsJets » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 am

They should consider playing him at the 4 alongside Allen or Jordan. I mean why not?
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#58 » by jbeachboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:13 pm

claxton should play over kurucs for pf minutes
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#59 » by NetsJets » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#60 » by jbeachboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:32 pm

i hope kenny backs this statement up and plays claxton.

Return to Brooklyn Nets