ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Nets '19-'20 season hype thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Official Nets '19-'20 season hype thread 

Post#1 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:17 am

Going to post videos and stats here as we count down to the season. All the hype is obviously on Kyrie but im going to do this in the order things happened this season.

1. Nets Aquire Taurean Prince from the hawks for the #17 pick
2. With the 31st pick, the Nets Select Nicholas Claxton
3. With the 56th pick, the Nets Select Jaylen Hands
4. WOJ BOMB: Kyrie & KD to sign with the nets (Part I: Unclde Drew)
Prokorov
RealGM

Re: Official Nets '19-'20 season hype thread 

Post#2 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:04 am

Taurean Prince
6'8" 220 lbs.
25 years old; 4th year out of Baylor.

Last Season:
13.5 points per game
3.6 rebounds per game
1.0 steals per game
44/39/82 | FG/3P/FT
57.5 TS%

Notes: prince was aquired via trade from Atlanta this offseason in a larger deal that also saw 2 picks and Allen Crabbe go to the Hawks for the cap space needed to add Irving and Durant. Prince was brought in to fill the void left by Demarre Carroll as a 20-25 mpg 3 & D/7th man off the bench providing spacing and energy. Prince has been an outstanding 3PT shooter in his career, 39% last year on nearly 6 attempts. that is inline with Carrolls best seasons. he gets to the line a bit less then Carroll but scores at the same volume with more efficiency in a similar style. There are few players who are a better fit to replace Carroll, although Prince defensively has not lived up to his potential as of yet.

Fun Fact: out of high school Prince orginally played college basketball at LIU-Brooklyn.

What Hawks fans have to say about him:

Years80HAWKS wrote:ho can defend, rebound, penetrate and do the dirty job. He can shoot from three. But he has to be far from making offesive decissions or handle the ball regularly.

gurpilo wrote:I will miss Prince, I think he had the full package to suceed but for some reason did not work as expected, I think he lack passing and for some reason good defensive tools did nit work completely.

jayu70 wrote:He was a perfect fit for Bud's system where he wasn't asked to do too much, play a role. He's great from 3 shot 38% this season even through injury. His defense needs work but he's capable when focused. After, his injury he came back more focused on the things he was good at.
He'll fit with Kenny's system.

Hype Video:
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Nic Claxton
6'11" 217 lbs.
20 years old; Rookie out of Georgia

Last Season (NCAA):
13.0 points per game
8.6 rebounds per game
2.2 Blocks per game
46/28/64 | FG/3P/FT
26-86 from three in 2 years at UG

Notes: Claxton was drafted #31 overall with the Knicks second round pick they acquired from philly in the Trevor Booker trade. Claxton spent 2 years at Georgia but really flourished his sophmore season under new head coach Tom Crean who embraced Claxton's unique ball handling skills for a 7-footer. He utilized Claxton in pick and rolls as both the screener and the ball handler. Encouraged Claxton to attack off the dribble, let it fly from three and go coast to coast off rebounds. Defensively, claxton's shot blocking stands out but his quickness and agility for a player his size allowed him to gaurd smaller players on the perimeter. It is unclear yet what role Claxton will play on the nets. According to Sean Marks:

"“I think there’s a tremendous amount of upside there with him. The way he moves, the way I think he’ll eventually be able to stretch the floor, the way he can handle the ball already. It’s always nice when you get a guy with that build and hopefully add to that frame. I think Nic is a guy that we’ll let develop and we’ll see where that translates and see where he goes from a development standpoint. I’d hate to pigeonhole him.
-Nets GM Sean Marks

The best NBA comparison for Claxton may be former Piston and Kentucky Wildcat Tayshaun Prince; whose 6'10" frame, 7'2" wingspan combined with shooting, ball handling, and agility allowed him gaurd all over the floor and cause matchup problems for opposing forwards. Claxton has also been compared to former Wizard and Indiana Hoozier Jared Jeffries.

Fun Fact: Claxton's college teammates gave him the nickname "The Slim Reaper"

What Bulldog fans have to say about him:

CP War Hawks wrote:This dude sprouted out of nowhere. For a near 7 footer he's a great athlete. I guess poorman's JJJ or softer defensive Chandler. Just off short clips of this dude. Didn't follow UGA ball for a min.

King Ken wrote:This 6'11 former PG in HS was highly rated by me for his potential. I didn't think he was a 2 and done player but more of a three year and we should see type. Since Coach Crean came in, his profile has been elevated to another level and he has a shot at being a potential 1st rounder in this year's class. He has an unpolished versatile game where he can do it all. Think a smaller Rasheed Wallace without the polish and frame in terms of his can do it all status. While he is skinny and was extremely skinny, he does have broad shoulders average width. So you wonder how much weight can he carry. He is already bigger than Brandan Wright so it should be more than that. His versatile nature and ability to switch and guard perimeter players should appeal to teams looking for modern 5s.

Hype Video:
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#4 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Jaylen Hands
6'3" 180 lbs.
20 years old; Rookie out of UCLA

Last Season (NCAA):
14.3 points per game
6.1 Assits per game
1.3 Steals per game
41/37/78 | FG/3P/FT
53.7 TS%

Notes: Hands was drafted 56th overall as part of a trade with the Clippers (Nets sent pick #27 for the #56 pick and LA's 2020 1st round selection). Hands is an exceptional athlete with a 38" verticle and outstanding end to end speed. He has drawn comparisons to former HS standout and Milwaukee Buck Brandon Jennings, however i dont see nearly the skill/scoring ability. I think former Nt Markel Brown is a better comparison as a super athlete picked late who the team hoped could develop PG skills. He is said to be big on watching film and has expanded his game from a Raw athlete to having some NBA ready gaurd skills. he will need to continue that development, improve his shooting, specifically in the lane, and use his tools to become a competent defender. Had a tendancy to have tunnell vision and play hero ball at the NCAA level. He is expected to start the year in the G-League

Jaylen’s an explosive young guard. I’m very intrigued by him, so it will be interesting to see him and get up close and personal, get to know him, and see where he goes from there.”

-Nets GM Sean Marks

Fun Fact: Was High School teammates with 2018 #1 overall pick Deandre Ayton

What Bruins fans have to say about him:

Hoopz Afrik wrote:Not feeling Jaylen Hands as much. Great athlete but super erratic. Doesn't seem poised or composed out there yet which is one of the things I was looking for from him after his freshman campaign.

kb02 wrote:Hands has not developed the way any one hoped. Undersized, one speed.

Hype Video:
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,861

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:Image

Taurean Prince
6'8" 220 lbs.
25 years old; 4th year out of Baylor.

Last Season:
13.5 points per game
3.6 rebounds per game
1.0 steals per game
44/39/82 | FG/3P/FT
57.5 TS%

Notes: prince was aquired via trade from Atlanta this offseason in a larger deal that also saw 2 picks and Allen Crabbe go to the Hawks for the cap space needed to add Irving and Durant. Prince was brought in to fill the void left by Demarre Carroll as a 20-25 mpg 3 & D/7th man off the bench providing spacing and energy. Prince has been an outstanding 3PT shooter in his career, 39% last year on nearly 6 attempts. that is inline with Carrolls best seasons. he gets to the line a bit less then Carroll but scores at the same volume with more efficiency in a similar style. There are few players who are a better fit to replace Carroll, although Prince defensively has not lived up to his potential as of yet.

Fun Fact: out of high school Prince orginally played college basketball at LIU-Brooklyn.

What Hawks fans have to say about him:

Years80HAWKS wrote:ho can defend, rebound, penetrate and do the dirty job. He can shoot from three. But he has to be far from making offesive decissions or handle the ball regularly.

gurpilo wrote:I will miss Prince, I think he had the full package to suceed but for some reason did not work as expected, I think he lack passing and for some reason good defensive tools did nit work completely.

jayu70 wrote:He was a perfect fit for Bud's system where he wasn't asked to do too much, play a role. He's great from 3 shot 38% this season even through injury. His defense needs work but he's capable when focused. After, his injury he came back more focused on the things he was good at.
He'll fit with Kenny's system.

Hype Video:

Looking forward to this guy in the line up. It will be real interesting to see if he can crack the starting rotation, adding a 39% shooter to the offense is nothing to sneeze at. It will be fun getting him and Rodi on the floor at the same time as well.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Looking forward to this guy in the line up. It will be real interesting to see if he can crack the starting rotation, adding a 39% shooter to the offense is nothing to sneeze at. It will be fun getting him and Rodi on the floor at the same time as well.

I am as well... lottery pick and KU standout. he still has alot of ceiling left. he was drafted as a core player, not just a 3 & D guy.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#7 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Yea Prok do work !!

Prince is a perfect addition to our system. He is a lot like DMC but younger and can do more offensively. He can dribble, get his shot off the dribble and make the jumper coming off of screens which is HUGE in our system. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the next step next season. I'm just upset that we might have to bring out the brinks truck for him next off season.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#8 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Yea Prok do work !!

Prince is a perfect addition to our system. He is a lot like DMC but younger and can do more offensively. He can dribble, get his shot off the dribble and make the jumper coming off of screens which is HUGE in our system. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the next step next season. I'm just upset that we might have to bring out the brinks truck for him next off season.

much like with levert... if we do its a good thing it means they took a step forward as a player. both are at a level were another step makes them fringe/1 step below all-stars
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#9 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Prokorov wrote:

much like with levert... if we do its a good thing it means they took a step forward as a player. both are at a level were another step makes them fringe/1 step below all-stars

yep. If both guys come on strong this season that is going to create an interesting scenario for Prokhorov and Tsai's pockets :lol:

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#10 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:35 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

yep. If both guys come on strong this season that is going to create an interesting scenario for Prokhorov and Tsai's pockets :lol:

Yea I mean they can definitely afford it, but this is why I was saying we should try to resign them now before they dominate next year and we have to pay them some crazy number like the max. They might not accept it anyway.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#11 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:35 pm

In regard to Caris' and Taurean's contract extensions, it's a delicate dance. You don't want to pay them based on a big leap forward this season when you know that their role will be smaller next year after KD returns for a full campaign. BUT, other teams are going to lure them into offer sheets based on this Durant-less production. We have invested resources into their development, especially LeVert. They are valuable commodities, and won't want to let them walk just because the price becomes steep. To save ourselves from that financial crunch, we should extend proactively.

Ultimately, I think we will hedge our bet. I would love to see us lock up both guys on team-friendly 3-year deals with 4th-year player options. I originally said something like 4/90 for LeVert and 4/60 for Prince, but i think the market may allow for less than that. However, I totally would understand if Marks didn't want to commit to Prince before seeing him in an official Nets game, which would be after the October 21st deadline for extensions.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Extending Levert needs to be something that benefits the team. he would need to be paid at his current value. paying him anything over 4/80-90 would be a bad deal for the nets. 4 years at 17.5 million should be the offer. with his poor shooting, injury history and lack of consistency too many red flags to go out and give him 20+ million per year. odds are he doesnt earn more then 20ish million per year as he will likely miss some time to injury and will likely see less shots then kyrie and maybe dinwiddie. i dont think 20 ppg is something we will see.

if he does its because he became 38% three point shooter who went from poor to good/very good efficiency and stayed healthy. in wihch case im glad to pay him big money. the odds are more likely he doesnt earn 21-25 million per year then he does.

I see no reason to extend prince unless he approaches us and wants to take 4/50 or 4/60.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#13 » by Prokorov » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Kyrie Irving
6'3" 193 lbs.
27 years old; 9th year out of Duke.

Last Season:
23.8 points per game
7.0 assists per game
1.5 steals per game
49/41/88 | FG/3P/FT
59.2 TS%

Notes: Life long Nets fan, New Jersey native, 6-time All-star, and NBA champion Kyrie Irving has come home to sign a 4 year deal with the Brooklyn Nets. Irving is coming off back to back All-NBA seasons and the signing, along with Durant legitimizes the Nets franchise as a powerhouse in the NBA and marquee free agent destination. Irving, a perfect fit in Kenny Atkinson's PG friendly offense, could reach even further heights after already putting up stellar numbers in Steven's defense centric systems in Boston. The Nets early odds on the season are an over/under of 47.5, but should Irving take the next step under Atkinson, the Nets could challenge the franchise single season win total of 51 (under Kidd the year they won the eastern conference). Irving's impact will likely reach well beyond the court, as Nets ticket sales have already reach record highs for season tickets, Marketing opportunities are endless, and Kyrie's work as Unclde Drew is rumored to continue with a pepsi campaign in Rucker Park, the backdrop for the featue film Uncle Drew.

Fun Fact: Kyrie honed is elite dribbling skills by practicing with a ball covered with a plastic bag, a trick he learned from his godfather; former NBA star Rod Strickland.

What Celtics fans have to say about him:

PrettyMuchAllCelticsFansRightNow wrote:Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt Salt

Hype Video (Click image to play):
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Prokorov wrote:Extending Levert needs to be something that benefits the team. he would need to be paid at his current value. paying him anything over 4/80-90 would be a bad deal for the nets. 4 years at 17.5 million should be the offer. with his poor shooting, injury history and lack of consistency too many red flags to go out and give him 20+ million per year. odds are he doesnt earn more then 20ish million per year as he will likely miss some time to injury and will likely see less shots then kyrie and maybe dinwiddie. i dont think 20 ppg is something we will see.

if he does its because he became 38% three point shooter who went from poor to good/very good efficiency and stayed healthy. in wihch case im glad to pay him big money. the odds are more likely he doesnt earn 21-25 million per year then he does.

I see no reason to extend prince unless he approaches us and wants to take 4/50 or 4/60.

I think at this point we need to wait and see what happens. If both guys have good seasons and would want to stay on what could be a championship contender in 2020-21, deals can be worked out. I'm not too worried.

Return to Brooklyn Nets