M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 6,968

Re: Woj: Bucks Sign Kyle Korver 

Post#201 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:53 pm

skones wrote:
worthlessBucks wrote:
skones wrote:
Set shots are for free throws, that's it.

Dell Curry would like a word with you sir.

He didn't use a lot of elevation, but make no mistake, he was a jump shooter. You don't need maximum elevation for a jump shot. A set shot is a weight transition onto your toes.

As for Giannis, he'll be at his peak if he learns to shoot on the move in difficult situations. THAT'S what's going to make him unguardable. Team's won't be able to wall him off like Toronto did in the playoffs when he can rise up over defenders and stick from 15 feet on the move. A set shot just doesn't provide the shot versatility to allow that. He doesn't have to explode to shoot a jumper.

Sam Perkins and Marc Gasol were mentioned earlier in this thread, if you think either of those guys were shooting "set shots," Giannis already is.....

If this is not the proper definition of set shot, then tell me what you call it. Just a lot less motion going on, which I think would help Giannis.

;t=45s

M-C-G
RealGM

Post#202 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:53 pm

By the way, I am happy to be wrong and have him be a good jump shooter, like really happy to be wrong.
JimmyTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 2,621

Post#203 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Korver has been on six teams and literally had hundreds of teammates. Shooting is not something as easily passed on to teammates as leadership, defense and intensity. Doubt there is any huge impact for Giannis besides extra spacing. Doesn't hurt that Giannis is practicing though.

Just catching up on the thread. Was about to claw out my eyes until I saw your post. Thank you for this.

:D

I know I've mentioned it before but I'll be surprised if Giannis ever develops a "reliable" jumper. The size of his hands and the length of his limbs make it extraordinarily difficult to repeat an identical shooting motion. That said, I'd never bet against Giannis.
skones
RealGM
And1: 5,840

Post#204 » by skones » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:13 pm

M-C-G wrote:
skones wrote:
worthlessBucks wrote:Dell Curry would like a word with you sir.

He didn't use a lot of elevation, but make no mistake, he was a jump shooter. You don't need maximum elevation for a jump shot. A set shot is a weight transition onto your toes.

As for Giannis, he'll be at his peak if he learns to shoot on the move in difficult situations. THAT'S what's going to make him unguardable. Team's won't be able to wall him off like Toronto did in the playoffs when he can rise up over defenders and stick from 15 feet on the move. A set shot just doesn't provide the shot versatility to allow that. He doesn't have to explode to shoot a jumper.

Sam Perkins and Marc Gasol were mentioned earlier in this thread, if you think either of those guys were shooting "set shots," Giannis already is.....

If this is not the proper definition of set shot, then tell me what you call it. Just a lot less motion going on, which I think would help Giannis.

I'd call those all jumpers. The proper traditional definition of a set shot is the free throw. Bend knees, flick wrist, transfer weight onto toes. You're not leaving the ground. If you're leaving the ground, it's a jumper. Like I said, Giannis isn't pushing with a whole lot of elevation as is. It's not like he's currently exploding into his release like you might see wings do. Our definitions probably differ.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#205 » by M-C-G » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:18 pm

skones wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
skones wrote:

I'd call those all jumpers. The proper traditional definition of a set shot is the free throw. Bend knees, flick wrist, transfer weight onto toes. You're not leaving the ground. If you're leaving the ground, it's a jumper. Like I said, Giannis isn't pushing with a whole lot of elevation as is. It's not like he's currently exploding into his release like you might see wings do. Our definitions probably differ.

Yeah, that is fine, I don't know if he has the touch Sleepy Sam does where he can just flick it, but if he ended up closer to Gasol, that'd take out a pretty good amount of movement. In the end whatever works for him. I actually would prefer he work his post game and develop a hook/push shot that gives him more scoring range in that 5-7 foot area. For everything he does, he still has not figured out how to consistently make a shot 'easy' on himself from that range and I think he is more than capable of developing that.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks