ImageImageImageImageImage

[The Athletic] - What will the Knicks’ rotation look like?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,881

[The Athletic] - What will the Knicks’ rotation look like? 

Post#1 » by GONYK » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Mike Vorkunov wrote a solid article detailing the thought process a lot of us have been mulling over on this board. Obviously, this is all speculative before training camp, but here is his prediction based on the tea leaves he's been reading:

Thoughts?
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,617

Re: [The Athletic] -What will the Knicks’ rotation look like? 

Post#2 » by stuporman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Not that bad of a chart with the breakdown but just seeing the fewer mins for the young bucks is a little frustrating.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Re: [The Athletic] - What will the Knicks’ rotation look like? 

Post#3 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:07 pm

this is the problem we will def see but no way we play 13 men. Whats the point of playing Frank and Dotson 16 combined minutes how do you expect any of them to be in a rhythm.

I just see there extra minutes going to trier and payton more and that will probably be the rotation.

Fiz has a tough job and I already don't think he's a great coach. But he will have to sit there and answer rotational questions and who's playing after every loss now with this roster. It's going to be complicated.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
melo4three
Senior
And1: 253

Post#4 » by melo4three » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:11 pm

some changes for me
21 for barret 21 for trier 10 for ellington
20 for morris 14 for knox 13 for iggy
30 for dsj 12 for payton, give payton frank's minutes if he doesn't show promise/ give frank more minutes if he does
27 for mitchell 6 for taj
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#5 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:15 pm

I wouldn't mind this mostly but I think eventually Dot is going to get more minutes.

I've pretty much given up on Frank both as a player and as someone the organization really cares about long term. If he shows out in limited minutes... GREAT. if not... oh well just chalk it up as a busted pick from a previous regime and we got the guy I wanted us to draft anyway to be the PG of the future. Obviously not rooting for Frank to fail but just the reality of the situation.

Eventually, I think the rotation is going to settle to 10-11 guys and the rest will either be traded or bought out. Also, in a league that's become ever so aware of "load management" I think starting the year off with most guys getting less workload than they may see at the end of the year might be a smart unintended or possibly intended consequence of signing a lot of rotation eligible guys :dontknow:
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,181

Post#6 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:35 pm

mpharris36 wrote:Image

this is the problem we will def see but no way we play 13 men. Whats the point of playing Frank and Dotson 16 combined minutes how do you expect any of them to be in a rhythm.

I just see there extra minutes going to trier and payton more and that will probably be the rotation.

Fiz has a tough job and I already don't think he's a great coach. But he will have to sit there and answer rotational questions and who's playing after every loss now with this roster. It's going to be complicated.

You don't play 13 men when you don't have the depth to play them

The old argument that you need a 8-9 man rotation to keep sharp is only true when a team is boring down during the playoffs, but even then depth comes in handy and a coach can go deeper into the rotation if they've got the pieces

We're all guessing what Fizdale will do, but I would never bet against using a roster this deep
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,007

Post#7 » by god shammgod » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:35 pm

he's playing a 13 man rotation ? even he's not that crazy. that's not what he did last year. he played some guys some games and some guys others.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,834

Post#8 » by BowlRips » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:37 pm

You start with this 13 man rotation to begin the season and as time ticks on you allow these guys to prove they belong on the court.
And then trade possibilities will open up.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,881

Post#9 » by GONYK » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:37 pm

god shammgod wrote:he's playing a 13 man rotation ? even he's not that crazy. that's not what he did last year. he played some guys some games and some guys others.

Yea. He usually plays a 9 man rotation, swapping out 6 guys every 13 days.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#10 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:37 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:I wouldn't mind this mostly but I think eventually Dot is going to get more minutes.

I've pretty much given up on Frank both as a player and as someone the organization really cares about long term. If he shows out in limited minutes... GREAT. if not... oh well just chalk it up as a busted pick from a previous regime and we got the guy I wanted us to draft anyway to be the PG of the future. Obviously not rooting for Frank to fail but just the reality of the situation.

Eventually, I think the rotation is going to settle to 10-11 guys and the rest will either be traded or bought out. Also, in a league that's become ever so aware of "load management" I think starting the year off with most guys getting less workload than they may see at the end of the year might be a smart unintended or possibly intended consequence of signing a lot of rotation eligible guys :dontknow:

That's the closest we can get to a prediction at this time I think.

I agree that the rotation will tighten later in the season, but lots of bodies will see the floor before that shakes out

Let's not forget Fizdale had some wacky justifications for his rotations last season. Who knows what reasoning he'll use this time to justify whom he decides to play. Guys last year got dog-housed after some of their best play so I really don't know what to expect from this guy
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#11 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:38 pm

GONYK wrote:
god shammgod wrote:he's playing a 13 man rotation ? even he's not that crazy. that's not what he did last year. he played some guys some games and some guys others.

Yea. He usually plays an 9 man rotation, swapping out 6 guys every 13 days.

Touche
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#12 » by god shammgod » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:39 pm

GONYK wrote:

it is almost as ridiculous, no doubt about that
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#13 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:40 pm

GONYK wrote:Mike Vorkunov wrote a solid article detailing the thought process a lot of us have been mulling over on this board. Obviously, this is all speculative before training camp, but here is his prediction based on the tea leaves he's been reading:

Thoughts?

That chart is a very good speculation actually. It doesn't mean every guy plays every game of course, but on the whole the minute distribution makes sense while allowing for adjustments based on performance

(strange that they couldn't bother to get just RJ's picture in there)
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#14 » by god shammgod » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:45 pm

i went and looked and it seems he basically stuck to 10 outside of garbage time
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Post#15 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 pm

god shammgod wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I think unless there is an injury to open up major playing time it will be a wild ride. We will probably have a 10-11 man rotation and Frank/Iggy/Dot playing light minutes. Then if someone is struggling or fiz gets tired of that rotation he will probably throw them in for a kick in the pants. I see a lot of movement with rotation throught the year. It's fiz's MO and he has the roster to completely change up from week to week.

As long as RJ and Mitch don't get lost in the shuffle we should be alright. But we should really focus on the players that compliment those two the most. Along with Randle and Morris being big vet contributors.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#16 » by god shammgod » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:51 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I think unless there is an injury to open up major playing time it will be a wild ride. We will probably have a 10-11 man rotation and Frank/Iggy/Dot playing light minutes. Then if someone is struggling or fiz gets tired of that rotation he will probably throw them in for a kick in the pants. I see a lot of movement with rotation throught the year. It's fiz's MO and he has the roster to completely change up from week to week.

As long as RJ and Mitch don't get lost in the shuffle we should be alright. But we should really focus on the players that compliment those two the most. Along with Randle and Morris being big vet contributors.

the only thing really off on the chart to me is trier's minutes. i think he'll get more than the chart suggests. he'll be the number one scoring option off the bench. he's the only guy who can get his own shot.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Post#17 » by Chanel Bomber » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 pm

I feel like Trier and Ellington deserve more minutes because of their scoring efficiency, while Knox and Frank are so far behind that they probably don’t deserve any playing time compared to the other guys imo. They will get minutes, I’m just not sure they will deserve them.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#18 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:18 pm

My updated predictions in red (as opposed to preferences)

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,617

Post#19 » by stuporman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Your mom plays a 13 man rotation......
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,981

Post#20 » by Capn'O » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Rotation needs shortening. Some people aren't going to play much, barring injury. I don't see a role for Ellington, Gibson, or Frank.

I want to see some units with:

Payton
Trier
Knox
Portis
Mitch

Bomb squad with Trier playing the Lou Williams, Payton providing steady PG play, and Mitch cleaning up.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks