ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,097

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#681 » by Juco24 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:18 am

Went back and looked at his jumper before... and notice how he would JUMP FORWARD ABOUT TWO FEET?!! That's gone in this new video. Shots definitely changed!! Could be the key to our future and I don't think I'm overstating that
TruthBeTold
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#682 » by TruthBeTold » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 am

All jokes aside, it's going to be interesting to see if Mr. Smith's reworked jumper can translate in an actual NBA game. :nod:

I remember Hoodie Melo was in that same gym, working out with other superstar players, looking like he was about to have a great upcoming season. Well, we all know how that upcoming season turned out for him in OKC.

So far I like what I'm seeing from Mr. Smith mechanics on his new jumper. :nod: He wants to take that next level to become an all star, so he can lead the Knicks to a playoff birth. You have to respect a player with that type mentality and mindset, but actions like always, speak louder than words. I've always liked DSJ and wanted the Knicks to draft him instead of Frank in 2017. However, so far his NBA career, I was shocked to see his poor shooting since becoming pro, which hurt his confidence and held back his full potential.

If you guys really want to post true signs of Smith Jr. improved shooting, then also post videos of him making multiple free throws in a row, no air balls. :D If I see that, then I might become an early believer. For now I'll wait for the preseason, hoping things workout well for DSJ this upcoming season. 8-)
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#683 » by Juco24 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:24 pm

TruthBeTold wrote:All jokes aside, it's going to be interesting to see if Mr. Smith's reworked jumper can translate in an actually NBA game. :nod:

I remember Hoodie Melo was in that same gym, working out with other superstar players, looking like he was about to have a great upcoming season. Well, we all know how that upcoming season turned out for him in OKC for Melo.

So far I like what I'm seeing from Mr. Smith mechanics on his new jumper. :nod: He wants to take that next level to become an all star, so he can lead the Knicks to a playoff birth. You have to respect a player with that type mentality and mindset, but actions like always, speak louder than words. I've always liked DSJ and wanted the Knicks to draft him instead of Frank in 2017. However, so far his NBA career, I was shocked to see his poor shooting since becoming pro, which hurt his confidence and held back his full potential.

If you guys really want to post true signs of Smith Jr. improved shooting, then also post videos of him making multiple free throws in a row, no air balls. :D If I see that, then I might become an early believer. For now I'll wait for the preseason, hoping things workout well for DSJ this upcoming season. 8-)

I completely feel you on this... Melo proved we can't use off-season videos to gauge real-season success. But like you - I also look at the mechanics as that's the thing that pretty much stays the same whether it's backyard, gym, real game, whatever! And his mechanics have changed greatly and that's something you can't fake. Just watch from previous - even @ NC State how his legs kick out and he lands like 18" in front of where he begins.... but now he has less lift on his jumper and he's not moving forward nearly as much upon his landing. By the way... Trae Young is NASTY.

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,052

Post#684 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:20 pm

2010 wrote:Shot looking very fluid and compact. I'm expecting Melo in here any minute now like...

Spoiler:

Me next year when hes an all star shutting down all the haters and doubters that wanted to give up on him
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,944

Post#685 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:37 pm

As an aside trae young will be in the mvp convo this upcoming season.

Dude looks like prime steph rn.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#686 » by N8isScofield » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:37 pm

DSJ with a J is an all star caliber talent. What I love about him too is that you can see that he's willing to work. It takes dedication to get even to where he is in those clips compared to where he was. He's also not awful defensively and if he's willing to continue to work on that as well then we have a monster that we were able to acquire for an immature gimp.
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#687 » by jermsknicks » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:55 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
2010 wrote:Shot looking very fluid and compact. I'm expecting Melo in here any minute now like...

Spoiler:

Me next year when hes an all star shutting down all the haters and doubters that wanted to give up on him

Beans!!!!
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,206

Post#688 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:54 pm

the jumper looks considerably smoother. Game action will really tell the true tail but so far so good.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#689 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:32 pm

DSJ And Knox my top 2 Knicks players that will qualify for Most Improved Player next season
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#690 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:52 pm

This is the reason why jumping all over a kid whose barley able to drink should be criminal. Any other sport besides NFL, you'll have to likely wait 1-3 years before you see them on the professional level. Why? So they can develop their game. Guys like DSJr, Knox, Frank are too young to be hard on, you need to let them grow, and it takes **** years to do so.

This is what you want to see from DSJr.. I can see him breaking out this season big time. His shot improvement will open his game up incredibly.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,052

Post#691 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:17 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Jumper looks good. DSJr might be > Payton after all.

:-)

Capn’o right now
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#692 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:19 pm

If Smith's shot does fall, he could average 20+ PPG in his sleep and have a decent bump in assists too

A good shot takes his ability to break down defenses to a new level

Blowing past defenders trying to prevent his threes means defenses will have to collapse on him in the paint as he is obviously going to rim if there is no one there to contest his dunk

Long story short, Dennis should be able to break down defenses and flip tons of lob passes to our centers and big wings who will trail the play any time DSJr makes it into the paint
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#693 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:52 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:As an aside trae young will be in the mvp convo this upcoming season.

You think Hawks will make the playoffs?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,944

Post#694 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:As an aside trae young will be in the mvp convo this upcoming season.

Yep i see them battling it out with us for seeds 5-7.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#695 » by ny-n-md » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:42 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

You actually typed this.

Come on y’all, we’re better than this. Temper expectations or at least use green font. This is why we get clowned.

Even if we believe this, it’s better to keep it to yourself until it happens.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#696 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:56 pm

ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

You actually typed this.

Come on y’all, we’re better than this. Temper expectations or at least use green font. This is why we get clowned.

He wasn't walking down Broadway with a sandwich board declaring imminent playoff seeds. They were posting on a forum for hoops maniacs so not sure why you need to temper them.

AFAIK:

we're probably the deepest team in the East. We upgraded every position to the point we can field two full units and wear out other teams

we already have several players who would start on the other clubs in our conference

Randle looks like a star ready to break out and he looks fit as fuq

DSJr's shot does look fixed so our backcourt is starting to look very competitive. Payton/DSJr? That's a starting backcourt that can compete with any team in our conference and that doesn't even begin to consider our depth there with RJ taking some big guard duties

By my count we have almost a full roster with significant upside that can manifest this season once you subtract proven players like Taj, Morris and Ellington. Every other player on the roster ranges from having some upside to breakout potential

Long story short, with this kind of depth and upside, at least 7-8, i.e. half of the 15 players on the rosters, are poised to have their best seasons yet in the NBA

What's so great about the Eastern Conference that they can't compete for a playoff berth?

All it takes is rational analysis of the players we actually have now instead of falling back on defeated attitudes from being a beaten up Knicks fan and it is easy to say they should be able to play .500 ball with halfway decent coaching.

So IDGAF about tempering expectations. Different strokes for different fans is what I say. Let people get excited if they want to
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#697 » by Juco24 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:If Smith's shot does fall, he could average 20+ PPG in his sleep and have a decent bump in assists too

A good shot takes his ability to break down defenses to a new level

Blowing past defenders trying to prevent his threes means defenses will have to collapse on him in the paint as he is obviously going to rim if there is no one there to contest his dunk

Long story short, Dennis should be able to break down defenses and flip tons of lob passes to our centers and big wings who will trail the play any time DSJr makes it into the paint

Bruh, if DSJ can force defenders to respect his jumper... and if someone on the Knicks can consistently hit the 3 - he'll damn sure be an all-star. The talent is there and I don't know if anyone in the league can stay in front of him with his quickness and strength.

You know his statement about it being "on him" kinda made me think he was selfish initially but he was speaking the truth! As he goes, so does the Knicks. Man, if these f'ing kids ALL ever reach their potential --- LAWDHAVEMERCY :eek1: :droop: :pray: :pray: :pray:
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,776

Post#698 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 pm

If Smith and Randle can shoot threes and average a combined 11 apg, we'll probably be a pretty good offensive team. I could see both of them putting up 20 points per game each too. Really hope it translates into actual games.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#699 » by TheBigBoss » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

You actually typed this.

He wasn't walking down Broadway with a sandwich board declaring imminent playoff seeds. They were posting on a forum for hoops maniacs so not sure why you need to temper them.

AFAIK:

we're probably the deepest team in the East. We upgraded every position to the point we can field two full units and wear out other teams

we already have several players who would start on the other clubs in our conference

DSJr's shot does look fixed so our backcourt is starting to look very competitive. Payton/DSJr? That's a starting backcourt that can compete with any team in our conference and that doesn't even begin to consider our depth there with RJ taking some big guard duties

By my count we have almost a full roster with significant upside that can manifest this season once you subtract proven players like Taj, Morris and Ellington. Every other player on the roster ranges from having some upside to breakout potential

Long story short, with this kind of depth and upside, at least 7-8, i.e. half of the 15 players on the rosters, are poised to have their best seasons yet in the NBA

What's so great about the Eastern Conference that they can't compete for a playoff berth?

All it takes is rational analysis of the players we actually have now instead of falling back on defeated attitudes from being a beaten up Knicks fan and it is easy to say they should be able to play .500 ball with halfway decent coaching.

So IDGAF about tempering expectations. Different strokes for different fans is what I say. Let people get excited if they want to

Could RJ and DSJ develop into a Clyde/Earl type of backcourt if they reach their potential?
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#700 » by Juco24 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:30 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:You actually typed this.

AFAIK:

Could RJ and DSJ develop into a Clyde/Earl type of backcourt if they reach their potential?

I think they can be very good

Return to New York Knicks