Around the NBA (2019-20 season)

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Around the NBA (2019-20 season) 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Craziest ever offseason in NBA history is almost over, teams roster are settled for the next season.

Here is recapitulation what is happen (so far) this Summer (FA market, trades, draft)
Spoiler:

So, we can already start to discuss here our overall 2019-20 expectations, 2019-20 rookie class, MVP race, and All-Star roster predictions, trades, injuries, players updates... etc... just like we do it in last season's "Around NBA" thread toward 2018-19 season.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Re: Around the NBA (2019-20 season) 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:21 pm

What happened to the other thread, couldn't you have just edited the title ???
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:19 am

skywalker33 wrote:What happened to the other thread, couldn't you have just edited the title ???

2018-19 "Around NBA" thread is not "sticky" anymore, just normal thread.

The reason why this thread is not started right after the end of the previous season is to not mess with parallel "2019 Draft" and "2019 Off-season" threads. Now when we know rosters for the new season we can start discussing Western Conference race for the playoff (new thread opened yesterday), and about the league in general in this thread (subjects not directly related to Denver Nuggets or Western Conference playoff race).
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#4 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Experts expectations and early odds for the 2020 MVP award surprising me. I thought lone stars from teams with realistic chances to have TOP3 best regular-season record (Giannis, Jokic, Embiid), should be favored compared over those stars from big contenders with two big stars (co-stars Kawhi-George, James-Davis, Harden-Westbrook), or Steph Curry, which GSW regular-season record due Klay Thompson injury is not expected to be great. But except in Giannis case, they obviously used some other criteria.
EARLY 2020 MVP ODDS:
4 Giannis Antetokounmpo (+300)
6 Stephen Curry (+500)
7 James Harden (+600)
8 LeBron James (+700)
9 Kawhi Leonard (+800)
10 Anthony Davis (+900)
12 Paul George (+1100)
12 Joel Embiid (+1100)
15 Russell Westbrook (+1400)
15 Nikola Jokic (+1400)
25 Karl-Anthony Towns (+2400)
30 Damian Lillard (+2900)
35 Kyrie Irving (+3400)
50 Luka Doncic (+4900)

Not because I'm biased, but I really expecting from Jokic at least same status in the 2020 MVP race as he has in 2019 (contender #4). His personal stats can be only better (more mpg than 31 for sure), he is now established star, and I see Denver repeating NBA TOP5 record this season again. I expecting to see load management from LBJ, Davis, and Leonard, and George will miss opening about 15 games anyway. The regular season record of GSW (Curry) is questionable, but Lakers (LBJ, AD) too if they going to calculate as usually LeBron teams doing during the regular season, while Embiid with his often injury problems still waiting for career first 65+ games season. I see right now only Giannis and Harden in the better starting position for 2020 MVP race, and give Joker #10 chances is just ridiculous.

I googled and find even some early odds for 2020 Rookie of the year award. It is clearly Zion vs Field case. MPJ is not forgotten, but unlike most of the lottery picks from 2019 draft class, which will get a full-time job to develop in rebuilding teams, MPJ in best case scenario will not play much over 20mpg due precaution reasons. So, if he can get all-rookie first team playing for an elite playoff team with reduced playing time, I'm going to be more than happy with that!
EARLY 2020 ROY ODDS:
1.6 Zion Williamson (+60)
5 Ja Morant (+400)
6 R.J. Barrett (+500)
15 Darius Garland (+1400)
20 De'Andre Hunter (+1900)
20 Michael Porter Jr (+1900)
25 Coby White (+2400)
30 Jarrett Culver (+2900)
35 Tyler Herro (+3400)
40 Rui Hachimura (+3900)
50 Cameron Reddish (+4900)
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#5 » by THE J0KER » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Pau Gasol was on my whishing list. It is not how much he can contribute ON COURT at 40, but OFF COURT when the team is so young. He can be a great mentor of Bol Bol or compatriot Juancho, and very helpful to Jokic. Good move for Portland, his great experience and winning culture locker room impact will go to them.
skywalker33

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Gasol to POR makes me wonder what is going on with Nurkic, not sure what that signing means up there in the NW

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#7 » by The Rebel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:21 am

skywalker33 wrote:Gasol to POR makes me wonder what is going on with Nurkic, not sure what that signing means up there in the NW

It took George over 2 years to really get back to what he was after his injury and Hayward was finally starting to look decent at the end of 19 months after his injury, I doubt they are planning on him being back and a high enough quality player for at least the next year and a half. So they really need another backup big as right now they only really have Whiteside, Collins, and Toliver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:48 pm

https://fadeawayworld.net/2019/08/06/nba-rumors-4-best-trade-packages-for-bradley-beal/

The above article is about a trade package of Harris & Porter for Beal (with Denver including some 1st round picks). I'd love it but that isn't why I posted it here. Look at the bolded text in the quote below (the first two sentences).
The Denver Nuggets might be the deepest team in the league. They can go 10-deep, and play 10 quality NBA players during the course of an entire game without any loss in production. Led by All-Star Nikola Jokic, the Nuggets have an excellent array of talent that almost reached the Western Conference Finals last year. If they want to take the next major step, they might be willing to add a second All-Star to Nikola Jokic.

In order to pair Beal with Jokic, they would have to part ways with current starting shooting guard Gary Harris and rookie Michael Porter Jr. Harris has developed into a quality starting two-guard in the NBA, thanks to his sharpshooting and tough defense. Porter Jr. missed the entire 2018-2019 season thanks to a suspect back injury and is also one of the more underrated prospects from last year’s draft. If he can return healthy, he can be a real gem for his team.

For Washington, they will also likely ask for first-round picks to sweeten the deal and convince them to part ways with their All-Star. While losing Harris would hurt for Denver, they would be improving their chances to compete with the best teams in the West including the Clippers and Lakers. For Washington, it is a matter of betting on Porter Jr.’s health and the quality of the first-round picks.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:09 am

Lots of people saying Carmelo Anthony should sign with Denver; clearly they are voting with their hearts. Melo is a PF these days and Denver has Millsap + Plumlee + Grant + Vanderbilt + Hernangomez and maybe Porter that can all play PF and all fit better with Jokic.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#10 » by THE J0KER » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:26 am

NuggetsWY wrote:Lots of people saying Carmelo Anthony should sign with Denver; clearly they are voting with their hearts. Melo is a PF these days and Denver has Millsap + Plumlee + Grant + Vanderbilt + Hernangomez and maybe Porter that can all play PF and all fit better with Jokic.

I don't understand why the New York Knicks does not give him a farewall tour? They going to tank another season (with such weak team they actually don't need to tank at all to get TOP5 pick) and everyone with the ability to bring some attention and sell the tickets is welcome this season. Denver is contender, and bad fit with potential locker room troubles is last thing team needs now. Melo is the face of the Denver franchise for so many years, and once he retires his Nuggets #15 jersey should be retired (but not before Jokic#15 :lol: ). So my comment has nothing to revenge, but he is just bad fit right now. We have an ugly divorce with Iguodala too, but I would be happy to see him this season in Denver. Melo is right now bad fit for Nuggets and potential chemistry risk.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#11 » by TunaFish » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:15 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:Lots of people saying Carmelo Anthony should sign with Denver; clearly they are voting with their hearts. Melo is a PF these days and Denver has Millsap + Plumlee + Grant + Vanderbilt + Hernangomez and maybe Porter that can all play PF and all fit better with Jokic.

I don't understand why the New York Knicks does not give him a farewall tour? They going to tank another season (with such weak team they actually don't need to tank at all to get TOP5 pick) and everyone with the ability to bring some attention and sell the tickets is welcome this season. Denver is contender, and bad fit with potential locker room troubles is last thing team needs now. Melo is the face of the Denver franchise for so many years, and once he retires his Nuggets #15 jersey should be retired (but not before Jokic#15 :lol: ). So my comment has nothing to revenge, but he is just bad fit right now. We have an ugly divorce with Iguodala too, but I would be happy to see him this season in Denver. Melo is right now bad fit for Nuggets and potential chemistry risk.

My guess is that Knicks' fans may have had some issues with the way the Knicks imploded with Melo in the middle of it.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:24 pm

TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

My guess is that Knicks' fans may have had some issues with the way the Knicks imploded with Melo in the middle of it.

You might be right but my guess is the Knicks owner is an idiot that Melo doesn't want to deal with again even if it means no farewell tour. It seems like no one else wants to play their either.
skywalker33

Post#13 » by skywalker33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Lakers Magic continues...DMC goes down with another ACL injury

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#14 » by THE J0KER » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Lakers Magic continues...DMC goes down with another ACL injury

I expecting the domino effect on Lakers with this injury. Lakers biggest hopes for upcoming seasons are Kuzma and DMC as key support to LBJ and AD. I think the fact that Porter was not able to debut in Summer League triggered our FO to do something to finally get some notable forward, and we take Grant. Iguodala buyout with giving something to Memphis seems the most realistic scenario to me. Lakers don't have assets anymore to hunt names like Beal, and the salary cap is a problem.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:44 am

Dwight Howard to the Lakers??? Interesting and not a bad choice in my opinion. It could be one of the best options for Howard. Playing next to Davis & LeBron --- would be a decent fit for Howard and not bad for the Lakers IMO.

It's just a blurb somebody spit out of some orifice but ...
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#16 » by The Rebel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 am

NuggetsWY wrote:Dwight Howard to the Lakers??? Interesting and not a bad choice in my opinion. It could be one of the best options for Howard. Playing next to Davis & LeBron --- would be a decent fit for Howard and not bad for the Lakers IMO.

It's just a blurb somebody spit out of some orifice but ...

Howard is interesting, he has had problems with Kobe, Harden, Nash, and Walker in his various stops but he is still is a walking double double when he plays. It will be interesting how McGee handles it as well, he reportedly was bitching about Zubac last year and forced them to make that deal.
skywalker33

Post#17 » by skywalker33 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:10 am

Bol Bol has stated his foot is 100% healthy again, he's working out 2x a day here in Denver. We still can sign him to the active roster spot and put Dozier (who I like as well) on the 2nd 2-way. As the G-League is more of a guard/wing platform, and given the health uncertainty of Bol, this appears to be a better course of action IMO. Can't see why the Nuggets would trade for this guy only to diminish his potential in a league that doesn't emphasize Centers

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#18 » by THE J0KER » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 am

NBA is business too. This is an interesting view of how New Nuggets is anticipated in the NBA in terms of marketability and as a brand.

Darren Rovell: Denver Nuggets don't get credit they deserve
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Interesting article that is mostly about Wiggins. The new team president makes an interesting statement regarding Wiggins and the article looks at that statement - see below.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/08/22/minnesotas-gersson-rosas-says-andrew-wiggins-must-be-main-contributor-to-t-wolves/
Most Timberwolves fans, and the rest of the league, have moved on from Wiggins, who has four years, $122 million left on his max contract. While he averaged 18.1 points per game last season, he doesn’t get those buckets efficiently nor consistently, and the result is an average/slightly below-average wing whose contract is an anchor on the franchise. We’ve learned no contract is untradable in the NBA, but this is as close to that line as it gets — the sweeteners Minnesota would have to throw in right now make a deal are prohibitive.
skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:22 pm

May be harder to watch the Nuggets this year, good reveal on Altitude/Comcast feud.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2019/8/28/20838028/is-altitude-tv-really-at-risk-of-getting-cut-out-by-the-local-cable-providers

Return to Denver Nuggets