ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,223

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#701 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:35 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:You actually typed this.

Come on y’all, we’re better than this. Temper expectations or at least use green font. This is why we get clowned.

Even if we believe this, it’s better to keep it to yourself until it happens.

He wasn't walking down Broadway with a sandwich board declaring imminent playoff seeds. They were posting on a forum for hoops maniacs so not sure why you need to temper them.

AFAIK:

we're probably the deepest team in the East. We upgraded every position to the point we can field two full units and wear out other teams

we already have several players who would start on the other clubs in our conference

Randle looks like a star ready to break out and he looks fit as fuq

DSJr's shot does look fixed so our backcourt is starting to look very competitive. Payton/DSJr? That's a starting backcourt that can compete with any team in our conference and that doesn't even begin to consider our depth there with RJ taking some big guard duties

By my count we have almost a full roster with significant upside that can manifest this season once you subtract proven players like Taj, Morris and Ellington. Every other player on the roster ranges from having some upside to breakout potential

Long story short, with this kind of depth and upside, at least 7-8, i.e. half of the 15 players on the rosters, are poised to have their best seasons yet in the NBA

What's so great about the Eastern Conference that they can't compete for a playoff berth?

All it takes is rational analysis of the players we actually have now instead of falling back on defeated attitudes from being a beaten up Knicks fan and it is easy to say they should be able to play .500 ball with halfway decent coaching.

So IDGAF about tempering expectations. Different strokes for different fans is what I say. Let people get excited if they want to

Could RJ and DSJ develop into a Clyde/Earl type of backcourt if they reach their potential?

Hmmm, well perhaps RJ could bring some of the Clyde, but Earl was a very different player from Dennis.

Could they become as good a duo? That's a reach because Clyde was one of the greatest PGs of all time, but I think they could become a championship caliber backcourt.

RJ may be fairly cerebral which is why some thought the T-Mac comp may hold up due to way they play (T-Mac was more physically gifted though).

But Dennis is mostly instinctive from what I can see. Earl was more cerebral than he is given credit for. He was Clyde's enemy and when they joined up he conceded the playmaking duties to Frazier, but Earl could run an offense too. Mostly he was a SG.

I wouldn't comp these guys to Clyde and Earl particularly, though I do see a bit of Clyde potential in RJ because he seems fairly aware of where his teammates are on the floor and at his size he can pass over and around to hit them. Clyde was a fairly big guard for his era and he did the same.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,207

Post#702 » by Kampuchea » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:33 am

ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
You think Hawks will make the playoffs?

Yep i see them battling it out with us for seeds 5-7.

You actually typed this.

Come on y’all, we’re better than this. Temper expectations or at least use green font. This is why we get clowned.

DAFUQ is wrong with you? Who cares if someone is "clowning" someone else?

I do not agree we should keep our projections to ourselves because we are afraid of the reactions. Maybe you shouldn't read the board if random projections wet your anus?
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#703 » by ny-n-md » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 am

Kampuchea wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

You actually typed this.

I do not agree we should keep our projections to ourselves because we are afraid of the reactions. Maybe you shouldn't read the board if random projections wet your anus?

That’s your opinion, just like I gave mine. We do this every year and look stupid. I remember when we had DRose and that metric predicted like 27 wins, we went crazy and were saying we were a playoff team. We were just as bad as predicted. Well, that metric system predicted the same this year and we are talking about 5-7 seed? I hope it’s wrong and we are a playoff team. I’ve just seen this over and over and we get clowned as a result.

So salty. :lol:
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
melo4three
Senior
And1: 253

Post#704 » by melo4three » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:02 am

ny-n-md wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

That’s your opinion, just like I gave mine. We do this every year and look stupid. I remember when we had DRose and that metric predicted like 27 wins, we went crazy and were saying we were a playoff team. We were just as bad as predicted. Well, that metric system predicted the same this year and we are talking about 5-7 seed? I hope it’s wrong and we are a playoff team. I’ve just seen this over and over and we get clowned as a result.

That team did have 16 wins by christmas and looked like they would crush that prediction, but then KP got tired and fell off and they started tanking since they actually had their pick that year. Even still they beat that projection pretty handily.

Either way I think the over on 27 wins this year is free money.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#705 » by blanko » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:05 am

We aint no 5 seed, we will be in contention for the 8th seed though. The east didnt get much better, it anything it got worse.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
ny-n-md
Sixth Man

Post#706 » by ny-n-md » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:25 pm

melo4three wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

That team did have 16 wins by christmas and looked like they would crush that prediction, but then KP got tired and fell off and they started tanking since they actually had their pick that year. Even still they beat that projection pretty handily.

I just have “Battered Knicks Fan Syndrome.” Every year Patrick Ewing would guarantee a chip and I would go to bat for him with all my friends and look stupid. There was always some excuse/reason why it didn’t happen that year but the next one...

...that was the one we were winning! :lol:

It kind of continued with STAT and Melo. The excuses kept coming.

After a while, you just learn to talk confidently AFTER the Knicks deliver. :dontknow:
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,223

Post#707 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 pm

ny-n-md wrote:
melo4three wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:That’s your opinion, just like I gave mine. We do this every year and look stupid. I remember when we had DRose and that metric predicted like 27 wins, we went crazy and were saying we were a playoff team. We were just as bad as predicted. Well, that metric system predicted the same this year and we are talking about 5-7 seed? I hope it’s wrong and we are a playoff team. I’ve just seen this over and over and we get clowned as a result.

I just have “Battered Knicks Fan Syndrome.” Every year Patrick Ewing would guarantee a chip and I would go to bat for him with all my friends and look stupid. There was always some excuse/reason why it didn’t happen that year but the next one...

...that was the one we were winning! :lol:

It kind of continued with STAT and Melo. The excuses kept coming.

After a while, you just learn to talk confidently AFTER the Knicks deliver. :dontknow:

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,374

Post#708 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#709 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 am

Ok dsj.
Looking over his shooting:

1. Has to improve FT shooting. Seriously the way was shooting that 3 ball in that vid, I'd think he is capable of hitting 80% one day. Let's say 75% is a more realistic goal. With his 44% ftr in college, that's is a star rate so hitting his FTs and getting back to drawing fouls it could really benefit his scoring total. Seriously that could be the difference from being a 15 ppg scorer to 19-20 ppg scorer.

2. Gotta get his efg% on 3's to over 50%. It's at 48.3% right now and we know he has been working on his shot so I believe this is doable.

3. His layup %. Right at around 50% conversion. Layup is easiest shot in basketball, would like it as close to 60% as possible. We know he is an amazing finisher.

Off shooting)
We know some players don't care about turnovers. Some high usage guys can get by high turnover with the mass production. Dsj won't really have this chance to produce like that but the consequence in being high turnover statiscally shows up in offensive rating.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithde03/shooting/2019
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#710 » by BasicBall » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Folks forget how young this kid is...very young. Came to team last season clearly out of shape. Went into off-season with things to fix (shooting) I expect a much improved player and a much improved team. It comes down to coaching. If they don’t win at the very least double their win total from last season, I’d be very disappointed. I’m expecting at least 17 wins at the garden alone.

Oh and I want Payton, DSJ, Morris, Mitch and Randle starting. With Portis, Trier, RJ, Taj as my rotation players with Frank, Iggy & Dotson on the outside looking in.

I’m also expecting Taj & Dotson to be traded at the deadline :nod:
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,379

Post#711 » by robillionaire » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:37 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:Ok dsj.
Looking over his shooting:

1. Has to improve FT shooting. Seriously the way was shooting that 3 ball in that vid, I'd think he is capable of hitting 80% one day. Let's say 75% is a more realistic goal. With his 44% ftr in college, that's is a star rate so hitting his FTs and getting back to drawing fouls it could really benefit his scoring total. Seriously that could be the difference from being a 15 ppg scorer to 19-20 ppg scorer.

2. Gotta get his efg% on 3's to over 50%. It's at 48.3% right now and we know he has been working on his shot so I believe this is doable.

3. His layup %. Right at around 50% conversion. Layup is easiest shot in basketball, would like it as close to 60% as possible. We know he is an amazing finisher.

Off shooting)
We know some players don't care about turnovers. Some high usage guys can get by high turnover with the mass production. Dsj won't really have this chance to produce like that but the consequence in being high turnover statiscally shows up in offensive rating.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithde03/shooting/2019

good analysis on the FT shooting. It might be the difference between him making it in the NBA, the best game he had with us last year against the pistons when he had 31 pts and 8 ast he was 11-19 from the line, this is a guy capable of going to the line double digit times but you can't leave that many points on the board
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#712 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:48 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#713 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:07 pm

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,309

Post#714 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:36 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:

You actually typed this.

Right. If anything it makes it satisfying when you make a bold claim that everybody thinks your crazy and it actually happens.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#715 » by malik959 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:52 pm

ny-n-md wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

Nobody here has ever said anything about 5-7 seeds and that's just crazy. Most of us feel that we would barely even make the playoffs. I myself feel that 8th seed is actually a possibility due to the weaknesses in the bottom teams. Do we expect Detroit to improve from last year? Orlando sucks, Wizards suck, Charlotte sucks, Chicago sucks, and Cleveland sucks. These are the teams we have to fight against to make 8th seed? None of those team have made any improvements this offseason, but compared to last year we have. So we should be confident in our possibilities this upcoming season.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#716 » by Knicksfan1992 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:09 pm

Dennis looks like he's in the best shape of his life. That's the first step in making the "leap" that a lot of people here are hoping he can make.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#717 » by DE FENSE » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:37 pm

malik959 wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

Nobody here has ever said anything about 5-7 seeds and that's just crazy. Most of us feel that we would barely even make the playoffs. I myself feel that 8th seed is actually a possibility due to the weaknesses in the bottom teams. Do we expect Detroit to improve from last year? Orlando sucks, Wizards suck, Charlotte sucks, Chicago sucks, and Cleveland sucks. These are the teams we have to fight against to make 8th seed? None of those team have made any improvements this offseason, but compared to last year we have. So we should be confident in our possibilities this upcoming season.

No, someone did say 5-7 seed, thats what started this ruckus.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,250

Post#718 » by DOT » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:01 pm

I mean, I'm excited to see what he can do this year

3rd year, usually around the time guys break out. Really only needs his jumper to come along and he'll be fine

Him and RJ could be a pretty fun backcourt if we develop them right
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
ny-n-md
Sixth Man

Post#719 » by ny-n-md » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:02 pm

malik959 wrote:
ny-n-md wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:

Now I can rock with what you just typed. However, someone said 5-7 seed which is cool if you feel that way, but nobody else is saying this. Analysts, metric systems data, etc... nobody. I think that’s the fun part of being a fanatic. When it happens, we look like geniuses, but when it doesn’t? Circus clown show that operates in fantasy land and not reality. I’ve been this clown my whole life. LOL

I’ve reached a point of staying loyal without the guarantees and overly excited predictions. When we reach a point of serious contention, that part of me will come back in a major way though. :lol: :lol:
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Post#720 » by F N 11 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 12:35 am

CEO of the not trading RJ club.

Return to New York Knicks