Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#261 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:53 pm

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Miles surgery can't really help, can it?

This is the stress fracture that shortened C.J.'s 2018-19 season. Probably best to take care of it now. Sounds like a minor surgery.

"Our medical team has done a fantastic job of proactively diagnosing C.J.’s condition and establishing a treatment protocol,” new Wizards GM Tommy Sheppard said in a statement. “He will continue to be a positive influence on our team as he works through his rehab and we’re looking forward to getting him back on the court when he is healthy.”

Welp, Tommy made a point of saying how quickly he made the trade for Miles. Was it so quick that he didn't let the medical team have enough time to properly diagnose him?

More importantly, I think we should now hold off on buying Wizards championship tickets.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#262 » by nate33 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:04 pm

We have 11 weeks before the start of the season. Any type of stress fracture issue that was so minor that it wasn't even diagnosed is probably not going to take that long to heal. The Post article said it was a percutaneous surgery. I looked up percutaneous surgery and found this definition:

A percutaneous surgery foot surgery, also known as minimal incision surgery, is a novel surgical technique to treat foot pathologies affecting the bones or soft tissues. Local anaesthesia is used in practically all cases, leading to a very significant reduction in anaesthesia-related complications.

Another link said it is used to facilitate earlier weightbearing

He'll probably miss training camp, but my guess is that he won't miss any regular season games, or at least not that many of them.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#263 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:23 pm

DCZards wrote:

This is the stress fracture that shortened C.J.'s 2018-19 season. Probably best to take care of it now. Sounds like a minor surgery.

"Our medical team has done a fantastic job of proactively diagnosing C.J.’s condition and establishing a treatment protocol,” new Wizards GM Tommy Sheppard said in a statement. “He will continue to be a positive influence on our team as he works through his rehab and we’re looking forward to getting him back on the court when he is healthy.”

Definition of minor surgery - surgery on someone else :D

I wonder how long he is out?
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#264 » by WallToWall » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
DCZards wrote:

On the other hand, if there is (minor) surgery to be had, then do it in the off-season. As long as he is back in time for the start of pre-season, then fine.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#265 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Do we really care if CJ miles plays or not. His value is better ng around the team or as a filler contract in a trade, not on the floor. We have plenty of guys who can play the wing and we aren't really trying to win now,if we over preform fine, bit CJ playing isn't something we need to care about. His health, yes, I wish him the best and hope he gets better soon. !!!! I guess on the flip side if he plays and plays well that ups his trade value so, yeah let's just shoot to get him back by December and call it a day lol
WallToWall wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
DCZards wrote:

On the other hand, if there is (minor) surgery to be had, then do it in the off-season. As long as he is back in time for the start of pre-season, then fine.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#266 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sheppard mentioned on his interview with Sheehan that the team isn’t focusing on wins and losses this season but rather player development - they’ll be tracking hustle stats like 50/50 balls, defensive fg% etc and making sure that our team is playing hard and developing the right habits .. even if the wins aren’t coming.

This is very refreshing imo , it’s the first time in years that it feels like there is organizational alignment from ownership down to the players . I’ll be able to watch this season with no pressure and enjoy seeing the young guys develop.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,884

Post#267 » by TGW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:58 pm

There's no doubt in my mind Ted Leonsis is involved in picking players.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#268 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:03 am

nate33 wrote:We have 11 weeks before the start of the season. Any type of stress fracture issue that was so minor that it wasn't even diagnosed is probably not going to take that long to heal. The Post article said it was a percutaneous surgery. I looked up percutaneous surgery and found this definition:

A percutaneous surgery foot surgery, also known as minimal incision surgery, is a novel surgical technique to treat foot pathologies affecting the bones or soft tissues. Local anaesthesia is used in practically all cases, leading to a very significant reduction in anaesthesia-related complications.

He'll probably miss training camp, but my guess is that he won't miss any regular season games, or at least not that many of them.

If Miles plays this season the way he played the previous two seasons, it really doesn't matter how many games he misses. In fact, if it leads to more minutes for any of Schofield, Jones or Bonga, it's a good thing.

C.J. Miles has had one good season in his 14-year career -- 2016-17.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#269 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:14 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

You see this is the kind of thing that it's really important for an owner to say.

I mean... I really hate the way most owners say "We don't care what kind of effort our guys put out; it's ok for them to set lazy picks. The things we did badly last year, why don't we just go ahead & do them the same way again this year? That'd be ok with me."

I don't understand why other owners can't learn from Ted's powerful example instead of saying those kinds of things? After all, if they did, they'd have a chance to become the kind of owner Ted Leonsis has shown himself to be over his ten years at the helm of the Washington Wizards -- a real leader who knows how to build an effective & consistently successful NBA team.

Right?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#270 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:14 am

Illmatic12 wrote:...Sheppard mentioned on his interview with Sheehan that the team isn’t focusing on wins and losses this season but rather player development - they’ll be tracking hustle stats like 50/50 balls, defensive fg% etc and making sure that our team is playing hard and developing the right habits .. even if the wins aren’t coming.

This is very refreshing imo , it’s the first time in years that it feels like there is organizational alignment from ownership down to the players . I’ll be able to watch this season with no pressure and enjoy seeing the young guys develop....

I feel exactly the same way. I loved Tommy's interview with Sheehan (he really does sound like Mathew Mcconaughey!).

I feel that way despite my impatience with Ted, despite my skepticism about the effectiveness of his organizational management, despite my dissatisfaction with how the draft was managed.

I know I'm looking at a bad team. But I don't feel like I'm looking at a fake team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#271 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 am

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:We have 11 weeks before the start of the season. Any type of stress fracture issue that was so minor that it wasn't even diagnosed is probably not going to take that long to heal. The Post article said it was a percutaneous surgery. I looked up percutaneous surgery and found this definition:

If Miles plays this season the way he played the previous two seasons, it really doesn't matter how many games he misses. In fact, if it leads to more minutes for any of Schofield, Jones or Bonga, it's a good thing.

C.J. Miles has had one good season in his 14-year career -- 2016-17.

True.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#272 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:30 am

Looking at the Wizards in their current state with the idea of making an assessment of the team, is like looking at a house under construction with nothing in place but framing & saying, "Wow, what are they going to do when it rains?"
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#273 » by The Consiglieri » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:13 am

gambitx777 wrote:Do we really care if CJ miles plays or not. His value is better ng around the team or as a filler contract in a trade, not on the floor. We have plenty of guys who can play the wing and we aren't really trying to win now,if we over preform fine, bit CJ playing isn't something we need to care about. His health, yes, I wish him the best and hope he gets better soon. !!!! I guess on the flip side if he plays and plays well that ups his trade value so, yeah let's just shoot to get him back by December and call it a day lol
WallToWall wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Definition of minor surgery - surgery on someone else :D

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

The sense I got was it was all about getting Howard out of the building. He's been a cancer at every single stop going back much of this decade. I don't even think he realizes what he does that every teammate seems to find so annoying, but reportedly it goes all the way back to the Olympics a long time ago. I imagine the F.O. just wanted to eject him out of the locker room, for anything, healthy or not.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#274 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:23 pm

payitforward wrote:Looking at the Wizards in their current state with the idea of making an assessment of the team, is like looking at a house under construction with nothing in place but framing & saying, "Wow, what are they going to do when it rains?"

It is possible to start to see the formulation of an actual plan developing. With the reconstruction of the roster this offseason, the restructuring of the organization and management team, the unveiling of the new facility last season, the addition of the Go Go...

The objective is to make this a legitimate and viable destination. This is a great city, the nation's Capital, with a knowledgeable fan base and basketball rich tradition and community. Growing the Monumental Sports brand, the ownership group all in to provide the resources, bringing in people like JT III, improving the training and medical team and facilities. Bringing it all together, the Wizards and the current NBA, the young & hungry GoGo, the winning mindset of the Mystics, Alumni coming in to share their experience and knowledge, all under one roof, one umbrella. Really changing the culture of the organization, modernizing the facilities and the technologies available to players coaches and scouts. Adding analytics and data. Build something that emphasizes pride and a winning mentality.

Build a roster of hard working, high IQ, coachable, high character, team oriented, high motor players that love the game and want to be here.

Get the foundation of the roster to a place where we have a up and coming team, built on those kind of players with talent and work ethic and willing to find their roles. Ideally this happens and coincides with Wall coming back and proving to be healthy and productive, so we can move him and open up that cap space to bring in a bona fide top tier player.

Someone like The Greek Freak, just for an example...

Say we build a roster along the lines of this...

We get a high draft pick this year, and draft someone like Cole Anthony... Checks the Tommy Sheppard boxes high IQ player, high motor, well coached. PG enabling us to move on from Wall.

Cole Anthony, Robinson, Bonga, Beal, Admiral, TBJ, Rui, Bertans, Wagner, Bryant.

We move Wall and have the cap space.

Does someone like Giannis Antetokounmpo (for example) look here and see he can team up with Beal, and we have supporting cast of Rui, Bryant, TBJ, Anthony, etc. A great city, a strong ownership group, top rate facilities, a great work environment, good coaches and trainers, a fan base desperate for a winner.

Antetokounmpo as a free agent target makes sense. A hard worker, plays hard, versatile, in his prime, marketable. Coming from Milwaukee, D.C. is a major market and major city.

I think this is the plan. I think it's why they want to keep Beal. He is not a #1, but he is a #2 that a top guy can say I can go there and team up with him and win. And the plan is to build up everything else the roster, the management and organzation, from the ground up, so it is an appealing destination when the time comes and the opportunity presents itself. Sheppard said they are hitting a lot of singles right now. Well what that does is put you in a position to have the bases loaded, so you can hit a grand slam! Antetokounmpo would be a grand slam.

Imagine a roster...

Bryant / Wagner
Antetokounmpo / Bertans
Hachimura / Schofield / Jones
Beal / Brown Jr / Matthews
Anthony / Bonga / Robinson

Something like this, another player or 2 from 2020 2nd round , etc.

But imagine that starting 5. The versatility in matchups also... We can go big with Bryant, Antetokounmpo, Hachimura. We can go Antetokounmpo, Rui, TBJ. Or Bryant, Hachimura, TBJ.

Bertans gives us a big time shooter off the bench. TBJ & Admiral off the bench. Beal leading the team at SG, backed by any of TBJ, Admiral, Bonga. The quick Anthony running point backed by versatile Bongs & steady Robinson.

I think Ted learned from the KD fiasco, and repeatedly hearing this team is not a destination point and irrelevant.

The key is build the foundation in management, infrastructure, facility, resources, and roster. Set it up so a move like this is possible.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#275 » by verbal8 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:36 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
DCZards wrote:

4 to 6 weeks ?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#276 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:23 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:...The objective is to make this a legitimate and viable destination. ...Get the foundation of the roster to a place where we have a up and coming team, built on ...players with talent and work ethic and willing to find their roles. Ideally ...to bring in ...Someone like The Greek Freak, just for an example...

Say we ... get a high draft pick this year, and draft someone like Cole Anthony... Antetokounmpo as a free agent target makes sense. A hard worker, plays hard, versatile, in his prime, marketable. Coming from Milwaukee, D.C. is a major market and major city.

...Imagine a roster...

Bryant / Wagner
Antetokounmpo / Bertans
Hachimura / Schofield / Jones
Beal / Brown Jr / Matthews
Anthony / Bonga / Robinson

Something like this, another player or 2 from 2020 2nd round , etc....

The key is build the foundation in management, infrastructure, facility, resources, and roster. Set it up so a move like this is possible.

Makes perfect sense, if:

Rui Hachimura develops into an outstanding NBA player (hope so! but, it's a big "if")
Bertans is here a year or two from now -- big "if" -- & is good (another "if"_
Schofield turns into a solid NBA player. Another big "if."
Mo Wagner turns into a... oh, forget that one!
We keep Jones -- a big "if" -- & he is the disruptive player he's shown himself to be in 137 minutes. Another big "if."
Troy Brown Jr. develops optimally (big "if")
We actually get Anthony -- big "if."
Bonga, Mathews & Robinson become NBA players -- 3 big "ifs."

That would be great. But...
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:It is possible to start to see the formulation of an actual plan developing.....

might be just a tad optimistic for the present moment. :) Especially, since there's not much in your long list that one can "plan" to have happen!

Good if it does, though! May the wind gods favor your notions!
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#277 » by DCZards » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:25 pm

It is possible to start to see the formulation of an actual plan developing. With the reconstruction of the roster this offseason, the restructuring of the organization and management team, the unveiling of the new facility last season, the addition of the Go Go...

The objective is to make this a legitimate and viable destination. This is a great city, the nation's Capital, with a knowledgeable fan base and basketball rich tradition and community. Growing the Monumental Sports brand, the ownership group all in to provide the resources, bringing in people like JT III, improving the training and medical team and facilities. Bringing it all together, the Wizards and the current NBA, the young & hungry GoGo, the winning mindset of the Mystics, Alumni coming in to share their experience and knowledge, all under one roof, one umbrella. Really changing the culture of the organization, modernizing the facilities and the technologies available to players coaches and scouts. Adding analytics and data. Build something that emphasizes pride and a winning mentality.

PIF, I agree that the development of players like Rui, Troy, Schofield, etc. are all big “ ifs” and so is the roster status of Bertans and others.

But this first part of superballman’s post is the important part...and is the most significant as far as the future of Monumental Basketball and the Zards are concerned.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#278 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:30 pm

"May the wind gods favor your notions!"

You got me with that one, made me LOL ! :meditate: :wizard:
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#279 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:45 pm

It doesn’t have to be Cole Anthony who we draft in 2020. That class is gonna be deep with talented guards , and I think that was part of the bigger picture in the team not locking themselves into Satoransky’s contract.

I believe Cole Anthony, Anthony Edwards, Theo Maledon, RJ Hampton, Tyrese Maxey all have a chance to be really good starting-caliber NBA guards projected in next years lottery. All these kids coming out now are aggressive scorers and have 3pt shooting ability which complements Beal/Wall

He’s going to get overlooked bc he’s not super flashy but look out for Tyrese Maxey- this guy is basically a young Jrue Holiday

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#280 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:04 pm

DCZards wrote:

PIF, I agree that the development of players like Rui, Troy, Schofield, etc. are all big “ ifs” and so is the roster status of Bertans and others.

But this first part of superballman’s post is the important part...and is the most significant as far as the future of Monumental Basketball and the Zards are concerned.

Right Zards... I mean the players listed may or may not hit. Jones and Matthews are certainly long shots. Rui looks good, and others like TBJ, Admiral, Bonga, have shown talent and potential to have hope. But I like Sheppards apparent philosophy of acquiring young low cost players that have upside, and his checklist of high character, motor, coachabilty, IQ, etc. He hopefully will make some additional under the radar trades to pick up some other, maybe a Bryant-esque waived pick up, etc.

We should have a high draft pick, and if not Cole Anthony we will have a chance to take a good player. By the way Draft Room has us taking Anthony at 4.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2020-nba-mock-draft.html

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/cole-anthony.html

He just catches my eye as a guy who checks a lot of the Sheppard boxes, high IQ, leadership, well coached, motor, etc. Plus plays PG , which helps us get out of the John Wall business. AND we actually have a 2nd rounder... maybe someone like Mamadi Diakite? Or Killian Tillie ?

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/killian-tillie.html

And as well, if not Antetokounmpo, another FA. But he does seem like an ideal target.

But the main idea, I think, and I think it seems like a solid strategy, is to continue to add young talent around Brad, and the right kind of players to increase the odds of finding guys who stick and develop, and form a solid foundation and we become viewed around the league as a up and coming team. Move Wall when that becomes viable, improve the overall structure of the organization and how it is perceived. And as much as possible make the a place where a top tier FA will want to come here to join Brad to make this a contender.

Return to Washington Wizards