Image

I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!!

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, Jake0890, pacerfan

basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,041
And1: 2,060
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#1 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:16 am

And only about 100 posts to 15,000. Been here 15 years. How long have you been on this site?
Pacers_Freak
Starter
Posts: 2,334
And1: 2,057
Joined: Oct 06, 2016
   

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#2 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:15 pm

I got ya big dog!
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,175
And1: 1,544
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#3 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:09 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:And only about 100 posts to 15,000. Been here 15 years. How long have you been on this site?


looks like I just passed 10,000 but that puts me way behind you in about the same number of years. I suspect you've been more active during the season than I have.
Boneman2
General Manager
Posts: 7,658
And1: 1,020
Joined: Jul 07, 2003
Location: Indy
       

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#4 » by Boneman2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:22 pm

Basketballwacko2 you are a legit Pacers fan. Short for fanatic, nonetheless a valuable asset to the Pacers. Looking forward to the next 15 years.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,041
And1: 2,060
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#5 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:I got ya big dog!




Hey Pacer_Freak you're my 2000th and1!!
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,041
And1: 2,060
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#6 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:49 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Basketballwacko2 you are a legit Pacers fan. Short for fanatic, nonetheless a valuable asset to the Pacers. Looking forward to the next 15 years.


Thanks maybe I should change my name to PacersWacko!
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,175
And1: 1,544
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#7 » by Wizop » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:47 pm

15 more years? will I still be blogging in my 90's? then again, in 15 years computers might just read our thoughts.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,041
And1: 2,060
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#8 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:49 am

Wizop wrote:15 more years? will I still be blogging in my 90's? then again, in 15 years computers might just read our thoughts.



I'm gonna be 57 in about a month. Kinda weird qualifying for Sr Citizen discounts but I'm getting used to it.
HurricaneDij25
Sophomore
Posts: 209
And1: 84
Joined: Jul 17, 2017
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Contact:
     

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#9 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:59 am

Two years at RealGM. Started my sports message board life at CBSsports.com back in 2007 as a 19-year-old freshman at Vincennes University.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,175
And1: 1,544
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#10 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:19 pm

I won't translate this but I started on the CompuServe Sports Forum in 1982. I had a CPM computer with a terminal but there was no software involved. I would detach the terminal from the computer and attach it directly to a 30 baud modem and type in ATDT followed by the phone number. That's 30 - not 30 thousand or today's 30 million. The connection had nothing to do with the Internet which if it existed was probably still a defense department network.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,041
And1: 2,060
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:42 am

Wizop wrote:I won't translate this but I started on the CompuServe Sports Forum in 1982. I had a CPM computer with a terminal but there was no software involved. I would detach the terminal from the computer and attach it directly to a 30 baud modem and type in ATDT followed by the phone number. That's 30 - not 30 thousand or today's 30 million. The connection had nothing to do with the Internet which if it existed was probably still a defense department network.



Did you ever have a Commodore 64? Not sure if that's spelled right. I had a girlfriend back in the mid 80's who got one for Christmas 1987 I think. We played Jeopardy on it and she got mad at me for beating her repeatedly! She liked to think she was the smart one because she was going to Butler and I was at IU. I guess that 4.0 GPA she had didn't mean as much as she thought.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,175
And1: 1,544
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#12 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:06 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Did you ever have a Commodore 64?


No, but I remember them. I worked on some even earlier computers though. We had an IBM 7070 in my department at college - it was so big they had to build a special building before it. Then I had a summer job at PR Mallory on Washington Street and they had an IBM1620 and an NCR315. All were programmed by punching holes in paper cards. Storage was on magnetic tape. No disc drives yet.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,041
And1: 2,060
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Did you ever have a Commodore 64?


No, but I remember them. I worked on some even earlier computers though. We had an IBM 7070 in my department at college - it was so big they had to build a special building before it. Then I had a summer job at PR Mallory on Washington Street and they had an IBM1620 and an NCR315. All were programmed by punching holes in paper cards. Storage was on magnetic tape. No disc drives yet.


The old days! I remember the computer labs at IU we had those computers with the 12 inch screens and amber or green letters and numbers. I also remember the primitive spread sheet program that we had to use in our project for what was then called A-core, they call it I-core now. I found a sign error that they had put in the spread sheet to screw it up just to see if anyone could figure it out. I got extra credit for that.
User avatar
Wizop
RealGM
Posts: 10,175
And1: 1,544
Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:
   

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#14 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:24 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:The old days! I remember the computer labs at IU we had those computers with the 12 inch screens and amber or green letters and numbers.


yes, those "screens" were called terminals. the keyboard was part of the unit. when I said I disconnected my terminal from my computer and hooked it directly to my modem, that's what I was referring to.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
Posts: 15,041
And1: 2,060
Joined: May 11, 2002
Location: Just outside of No where.
     

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:33 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:The old days! I remember the computer labs at IU we had those computers with the 12 inch screens and amber or green letters and numbers.


yes, those "screens" were called terminals. the keyboard was part of the unit. when I said I disconnected my terminal from my computer and hooked it directly to my modem, that's what I was referring to.


Oh yeah I had forgotten the terminology. I don't know how I made it through a day without the internet and a cell phone back in 1986-87.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
Posts: 5,135
And1: 166
Joined: May 27, 2007
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: I'm 1 and1 away from 2000!! 

Post#16 » by Grang33r » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:36 am

Congrats!

I have a ways to go to join you! I started on basketballboards.net and then they were sold to like fox sports or something but everybody booked. I then went to the IndyStar.com boards and stayed there for a bit and when they changed formats, someone started Pacers Digest. I never went there for some reason, just felt that all those years of posting on forums was just coming to an end. Then after the Pacers missed the playoffs, i remember i took break from the playoffs, and then got brought back in with James/Cavs vs. the Pistons and looked around for a forum to post on and found this place.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r

Return to Indiana Pacers