Welcome Trey Burke

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Re: Welcome Trey Burke 

Post#41 » by Aussiepiston1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
sixers78 wrote:Cool addition but man you guys are talking up a guy who hasn’t played more than 60 games in 3 seasons. And finally got a 1yr deal late July. Unless I’m missing a joke here

Look closer into his numbers the past couple of years. Then go watch his highlights. GM make terrible moves all the time that doesn't speak to the quality of the player. I look at the insanely awful deal Terry Rozier got and wonder how some of these GM's even get their jobs. Burke just two seasons ago when given free reign played at an All-star level for the end of the season. Knicks just decided to tear it all down the following season and go with a youth movement.

Totally agree look at the contract Van Fleet got last year and he's only 1 year and 3 months younger than Burke.
They both averaged the same points but Burke played 8 mins less per game, if He got more consistent minutes I think he could average 13 and 5 at better efficiency like he did in 17-18.
now if He could just up his 3pt% up 2% from the 17-18 season and shoot at 38% He'd get the same type of money or even more.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#42 » by phillynative » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 pm

I think he is hungry and will want to solidify being the back up PG. He's going to go at raul and shake
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#43 » by ckchen » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:21 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
ckchen wrote:
76ciology wrote:There are some teams where players would demand trades to play for. We are not one of those teams.

Some of you have been a sixers fan longer than I do. But from what Ive seen, we’re never the bride and always the bridesmaid. The option B. Elton knows it best when he has to settled for us after Sterling lowballed him.

That said, Elton has done a great job with the cards he has dealt with.

Elton was one shot away from being last year’s EOY. IF kawhi missed that shot... think about it.

Not sure where you came up with this idea - as he was 14th in league voting for EOY, which is very much the definition of middle of the pack. Masai Ujiri actually WON the title and still was only 4th in voting for EOY. i would argue that EB hasn't really done all that much more with the cards he was dealt with than anyone else, he was just dealt a much better stack of cards.

I’m pretty sure they vote for the award before the playoffs start.

Anyway a guy getting the executive of the year award when he wasn’t even in the job until the offseason was over doesn’t seem very likely.

Correct, and no argument there. I'm just trying to tamp down the massive homer bias and thinking that somehow signing Trey Burke in late July makes EB the greatest GM in the league.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#44 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:34 pm

ckchen wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
ckchen wrote:
Not sure where you came up with this idea - as he was 14th in league voting for EOY, which is very much the definition of middle of the pack. Masai Ujiri actually WON the title and still was only 4th in voting for EOY. i would argue that EB hasn't really done all that much more with the cards he was dealt with than anyone else, he was just dealt a much better stack of cards.

Anyway a guy getting the executive of the year award when he wasn’t even in the job until the offseason was over doesn’t seem very likely.

Correct, and no argument there. I'm just trying to tamp down the massive homer bias and thinking that somehow signing Trey Burke in late July makes EB the greatest GM in the league.

Yeah I don’t think anyone said that, people like the move as part of an obviously much larger offseason. It’s not like Horst won the EOY award for signing Pat Connaton.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#45 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Talented, but both Quin Snyder and Scottie Brooks seemed to dislike Trey Burke. I wonder how this signing lands with Brett Brown.

Hopefully Trey is fully over himself and ready to contribute to a winning team.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#46 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:42 pm

I for one am probably a bit overly excited about this signing! Burke with a green light is instant offense and we desperately needed it with our reserves. I think he gets a lot of minutes this year and I think he proves to be a steal of a signing. He draws attention from defenses and having a reserve that can do that in the postseason is a valuable thing. Hopefully he can take the pressure off of our starters while they rest without being too big of a liability on the other end. He's definitely not Gary Payton on defense, but Burke is going to alleviate some of the offensive issues for sure.
nycphils
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#47 » by nycphils » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Burke was 20th among PGs this past season in PER and he wasn’t playing with guys like Embiid, Horford and Harris, and this is a team that can cover for his defensive limitations. I think he will be a solid reserve during the regular season; don’t know how this isn’t a good signing with some upside potential.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,591

Post#48 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Is it possible Burke starts in the games Embiid or Horford sits? Or maybe Neto?
sixers78
Senior
And1: 116

Post#49 » by sixers78 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
sixers78 wrote:Cool addition but man you guys are talking up a guy who hasn’t played more than 60 games in 3 seasons. And finally got a 1yr deal late July. Unless I’m missing a joke here

Look closer into his numbers the past couple of years. Then go watch his highlights. GM make terrible moves all the time that doesn't speak to the quality of the player. I look at the insanely awful deal Terry Rozier got and wonder how some of these GM's even get their jobs. Burke just two seasons ago when given free reign played at an All-star level for the end of the season. Knicks just decided to tear it all down the following season and go with a youth movement.

Every gm including ours could’ve signed him this summer. It’s wnd of July and we add him because we aren’t fully confident in the depth at pg. I just think folks are a little too hype over him. It’ll probably come down to him or Neto who is kept on this roster long term this season.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#50 » by agiaco » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Talented, but both Quin Snyder and Scottie Brooks seemed to dislike Trey Burke. I wonder how this signing lands with Brett Brown.

Have to imagine Brown would endorse most if not all the signings or have some say in it first, no?
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,367

Post#51 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:29 pm

ckchen wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
ckchen wrote:

Masai Ujiri deserved EOY good for him.

Man I hope one day soon we will have a guy with EOY credentials running this team. It would be great to have someone like that in charge. Someone that could make great deals and draft with authority and certanity. I would feel a real sense of comfort if that were to happen. :lol:
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#52 » by sixers hoops » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:35 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Talented, but both Quin Snyder and Scottie Brooks seemed to dislike Trey Burke. I wonder how this signing lands with Brett Brown.

I don’t know much about him, but that was a few years ago when he was getting benched for poor defense. Around his hot streak with the Knicks, there were some articles about his newfound commitment to defense. Some quotes of him finally recognizing that he needs to commit to being a defender. So I hope he did learn a lesson from those experiences.

You said hopefully “he is over himself,” and I think only getting a contract offer to play in the g-league can humble and motivate a player. He seems to taken that opportunity and improved himself as a player. I hope we reap the rewards.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#53 » by sixers hoops » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
ckchen wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Man I hope one day soon we will have a guy with EOY credentials running this team. It would be great to have someone like that in charge. Someone that could make great deals and draft with authority and certanity. I would feel a real sense of comfort if that were to happen. :lol:

We had a 2x winner with the big time collars to match, and he ran this roster into the ground the best he could. Lol
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#54 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:47 pm

I hope the 76ers give Neto a serious chance to compete for the backup PG spot. I like him more than Burke, though Burke is pretty darn good in the instant offense role. Neto's career has really been set back by injuries. He's only averaged about 40 games per season the last three seasons.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#55 » by DaSixers » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:57 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I for one am probably a bit overly excited about this signing! Burke with a green light is instant offense and we desperately needed it with our reserves. I think he gets a lot of minutes this year and I think he proves to be a steal of a signing. He draws attention from defenses and having a reserve that can do that in the postseason is a valuable thing. Hopefully he can take the pressure off of our starters while they rest without being too big of a liability on the other end. He's definitely not Gary Payton on defense, but Burke is going to alleviate some of the offensive issues for sure.

A lineup of burke, thybulle, richardson, scott, embiid is a pretty scary 1/5 PnR team with 3 shooters on the outside and 2 really good wing defenders out there to cover for him with embiid in the paint

lets the other unit of simmons, zhaire, ennis, tobias, horford work really well also. Can even do tobias PnR with simmons rolling and horford spacing as the 5

I really think our team fits great together on both ends now, really loving this move and this team

I cant wait for the season, hopefully our defensive scheme is better and brown has figured out how play to players strengths rather than just running a motion offense with handoffs and putting some of our best weapons in the corners
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#56 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
ckchen wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

We had a GM with EOY 'credentials'...

...that guy's accomplishments in two years wth the 76ers:

1. Draft TLC and Korkmaz in the 1st round of the same draft (over Siakam and Brogdon)
2. Sign Jeryd Bayless for 3 years 30m
3. Trade a future 1st for Pasecniks
4. Sign Amir Johnson for 11 million
5. Trade away a 2019 Knicks 2nd (#31) to get rid of Okafor.
6. Trade Hinkies entire remaining warchest for Markelle Fultz
7. Get caught on Twitter insulting his best player and his coach.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#57 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:01 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
ckchen wrote:

1. Draft TLC and Korkmaz in the 1st round of the same draft (over Siakam and Brogdon)

Honestly, we missed out:

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#58 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:23 pm

ckchen wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
ckchen wrote:

My bad on the EOY take. I didnt know that they vote for that award before the playoffs.

But for me Brand deserved a lot of credit for the team he built for us last season. To start the season with relying a lot on Fultz’s development. Then when Fultz starts to look like a flop, he was able to turn a bunch of role players and future role players into Tobias and Butler. Both moves turned our team into serious contender. If we stayed with our status quo, we would have made a big dent to our championship window.

Then for this offseason, when Butler is out of the picture, EB has done a great job turning EB into JRich. Adding Horford is another stroke of genius to me.

For me, he didn’t just saved our team from disaster, twice. But he also built 2 versions of a contender on the fly!

P.S. Thybulle is also looking like a steal to me.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#59 » by Da ThRONe » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:23 pm

sixers78 wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:

Every gm including ours could’ve signed him this summer. It’s wnd of July and we add him because we aren’t fully confident in the depth at pg. I just think folks are a little too hype over him. It’ll probably come down to him or Neto who is kept on this roster long term this season.

How many GM's passed on Draymond Green?

My point is front office people make a bunch of mistakes. I'd gauge my level of "excitement" on what your on evaluation of Burke is not just on the fact that he hasn't earned a large contract. It may very well be a situation were Trey and his reps thought playing one year for a contender would do more for his long term value. Not sure if you know or remember, but this is a guy who turned down a guaranteed contract with the Thunder 2 years ago to sign with the Knicks G-League team.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#60 » by agiaco » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:29 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
ckchen wrote:

What a depressing list. To think how quickly Brand turned things around is even more of a testament to how well he's done so far.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers