ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#401 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?
Will we ever see thee play, Romeo?

Yeah, cuz waiting all the way to the preseason of his first year to see him play is just terrible.

Imagine being a sixers fan knowing each draft pick will need min 2 years before you see them due to injury.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#402 » by BigTrade92 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:30 pm

It’s crazy that as impressive as our draft class has looked so far, our highest picked player still hasn’t even stepped on the court yet....

Hype.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#403 » by celtxman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:16 am

I have to admit having FOMO on Tyler Herro and wondering if Ainge should have worked a trade with Charlotte to move up 2 slots. I also hope that Langford's injury doesn't slow things down like it did with Avery Bradley. With some terrible picks (Yabu , James Young) fresh on our mind in this area of the draft, it doesn't feel great that Ainge drafted someone projected to go lower....AGAIN....and he is also injured. I'm hoping for higher risk , higher reward, but I'm not confident of that result.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#404 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:05 pm

celtxman wrote:I have to admit having FOMO on Tyler Herro and wondering if Ainge should have worked a trade with Charlotte to move up 2 slots. I also hope that Langford's injury doesn't slow things down like it did with Avery Bradley. With some terrible picks (Yabu , James Young) fresh on our mind in this area of the draft, it doesn't feel great that Ainge drafted someone projected to go lower....AGAIN....and he is also injured. I'm hoping for higher risk , higher reward, but I'm not confident of that result.

Langford was a projected top-5 pick before the college season in which he was injured. How much more high-reward do you want at 14?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#405 » by Bar Fight » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:57 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
celtxman wrote:I have to admit having FOMO on Tyler Herro and wondering if Ainge should have worked a trade with Charlotte to move up 2 slots. I also hope that Langford's injury doesn't slow things down like it did with Avery Bradley. With some terrible picks (Yabu , James Young) fresh on our mind in this area of the draft, it doesn't feel great that Ainge drafted someone projected to go lower....AGAIN....and he is also injured. I'm hoping for higher risk , higher reward, but I'm not confident of that result.

Langford was a projected top-5 pick before the college season in which he was injured. How much more high-reward do you want at 14?

Draft projections before the college season mean almost nothing.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#406 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:44 pm

Bar Fight wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

How so? Google any year 'early mock draft' and 90% of the players are mocked roughly where they end up. There are always outliers, guys who get injured, guys who breakout, etc., but you can go back and red an article from right after the 2018 draft that projected the 2019 draft and it would look pretty good. Guys like Nassir Little drop, guys like Ja Morant breakout, Romeo Langford has an injury, Zion has the best college season in the last 20 years.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2789663-way-too-soon-2019-nba-mock-draft-rj-barrett-early-favorite-to-go-no-1#slide12

They missed on Nassir Little (mediocre, still picked in first round), Quentin Grimes (didn't declare), Jaylen Hoard (mediocre), Jontay Porter (injured), Bol (injured), Naz Reid, Louis King (mediocre), Charles Bassey (didn't declare), Jalen Smith (didn't declare), Jalen McDaniels, Jaylen Hands (WTF are there so many Jaylens), Lindell Wigginton, Killian TIllie (didn't declare), Shamorie Ponds. Even a bleacher report bozo was able to, before almost any of these kids played above the high school level, nail half of the first round picks. Skip the guys who didn't declare, guys who were injured, and you have only 4 real misses.

Or just look at RSCI rankings of guys in high school and anyone top-5 is going to be pretty good unless they get injured.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/recruit_rankings_2017.html
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#407 » by grindtime22 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 pm

Bar Fight wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

It seems to be right around where he was projected. It's not like Langford was a huge reach at 14.

ESPN - 16
Ringer - 15
Athletic - 15
SI - 21
BR - 13
CBS - 15
Basketball Insiders - 9
Yahoo - 13
Sporting News - 26
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#408 » by Slartibartfast » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:15 am

Bar Fight wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

Maybe, but Romeo didn't have a bad year or an athleticism-threatening injury like a lot of guys who drop.

He was great in high school and he was a very good freshman. He just got hit by a 1-2 punch of shooting red flags and motor concerns.

He also suffered from a lack of immediate star comparisons. Cam Reddish had Paul George, Darius Garland had Damian Lillard. Romeo didn't fit a distinct star prototype, with a lot of people seeing Evan Turner.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#409 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:25 am

LOL, Shabazz Muhammad was projected as the !# pick for quite awhile in 2013 and went 14th, just like Romeo Langford.
Mr. Muhammad is now starring for the Shanxi Brave Dragons of the Chinese Basketball Association.

I'm not reaching any conclusions about Langford until I see him play against NBA players.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#410 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:51 am

Curmudgeon wrote:LOL, Shabazz Muhammad was projected as the !# pick for quite awhile in 2013 and went 14th, jut like Romeo Langford.
Mr. Muhammad is now starring for the Shanxi Brave Dragons of the Chinese Basketball Association.

I'm not reaching any conclusions about Langford until I see him play against NBA players.

I'm sure he can't do any worse than D Bender....
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#411 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:16 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:LOL, Shabazz Muhammad was projected as the !# pick for quite awhile in 2013 and went 14th, jut like Romeo Langford.

I'm sure he can't do any worse than D Bender....

Why not?

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#412 » by Slartibartfast » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:16 am

I thought you said it was a terrible pick - that's a conclusion too. But we do need a devoted Romeo skeptic to counter my irrational enthusiasm, so I'm looking forward to future battles.

Shabazz is an interesting comp though - sort of the inverse of Romeo in that he did everything off the catch in college. And he wasn't really a disappointing pro - he could certainly score at the NBA level. He just showed no interest or capacity to do anything else.

The Rashad McCants trap - scorers who never diversify and aren't elite enough as scorers for teams to accommodate them.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#413 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:48 am

Terrible pick? Well, I would certainly have taken Doumbouya, Bitadze and Samanic ahead of him. I may have taken Okeke ahead of him too, if I were satisfied that Okeke's ACL surgery went well.

But at this point, who knows about Langford?

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#414 » by Homerclease » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:06 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Terrible pick.

Hmm
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#415 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:11 am

Curmudgeon wrote:LOL, Shabazz Muhammad was projected as the !# pick for quite awhile in 2013 and went 14th, just like Romeo Langford.

Yeah I can cherry pick individual players too. Like Dragan Bender.

Shabazz was in a terrible draft anyway. He's 11th overall in Win Shares for that draft which tells you how **** it was. Terry Rozier might end up top-5 in that draft class somehow. If your argument is to use one player from one garbage draft, well, your argument is awful.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#416 » by celtxman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:59 am

grindtime22 wrote:
Bar Fight wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Langford was a projected top-5 pick before the college season in which he was injured. How much more high-reward do you want at 14?

It seems to be right around where he was projected. It's not like Langford was a huge reach at 14.

ESPN - 16
Ringer - 15
Athletic - 15
SI - 21
BR - 13
CBS - 15
Basketball Insiders - 9
Yahoo - 13
Sporting News - 26
Agreed he was not a huge reach, but certainly a curious choice as currently he doesn't fill a need. So I guess we assume Ainge felt he was so much of a value as the best player available that he couldn't pass him up. My fear is drafting Yabu, James Young, and KO (over Giannis) in this range doesn't give me extreme confidence here
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#417 » by Homerclease » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:The Celtics will regret not taking Doumbouya. Once again they took the known quantity out of Indiana HS and AAU ball instead of swinging for the fences. Guys with Langford's skills are a dime a dozen in the NBA. Why invest a lotto pick in the second coming of Kentavious Caldwell-Pope?

For someone not jumping to conclusions until they see him against NBA players, you sure are jumping to a lot of conclusions
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#418 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Well, on draft day none of the choices have played against NBA players. We did have a guy (Doumbouya) who had done very well in French Pro A, which is better than college ball.

To date, Langford is a total black box. Except for that film with the ping pong paddles, we've seen absolutely nothing.

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#419 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Well, on draft day none of the choices have played against NBA players. We did have a guy (Doumbouya) who had done very well in French Pro A, which is better than college ball.

To date, Langford is a total black box. Except for that film with the ping pong paddles, we've seen absolutely nothing.

I get the idea he is less mature and less academically inclined than the other C's rooks as well. No pics or reports of him hanging with them anywhere. (As opposed to Tacko, whom everyone seems to want a piece of.)
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#420 » by sam_I_am » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Well, on draft day none of the choices have played against NBA players. We did have a guy (Doumbouya) who had done very well in French Pro A, which is better than college ball.

Except that Dombouya didn’t really look that great. Lots of holes in his game and lots of potential but still unrealized upside. Langford has been a basketball player and not just an athlete for a long time but we need to see him do it against real NBA lengthy defenders. Dombouya has an elite NBA physique and can run catch and dunk but can he actually play a complete game? Is he the next Jerome Moisu or can he be a poor man’s Siakam?

Return to Boston Celtics