ImageImageImage

Welcome Trey Burke

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Re: Welcome Trey Burke 

Post#61 » by kuclas » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:45 pm

76ciology wrote:Could be the biggest surprise this season.

Two man game of Burke and Embiid.

Any small guard who is aggressive to the rim will succeed with embiid.

Burke isn’t even a good shooter but embiid on the floor in a pick and roll wit open up so much room for Burke if he’s willing to attack the basket with his dribble. He’s not the quickest guard though.

That’s why I wish Kemba would have given sixers a chance. He and embiid would be Incredible
sixers78
Senior
And1: 116

Post#62 » by sixers78 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:26 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
sixers78 wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
Look closer into his numbers the past couple of years. Then go watch his highlights. GM make terrible moves all the time that doesn't speak to the quality of the player. I look at the insanely awful deal Terry Rozier got and wonder how some of these GM's even get their jobs. Burke just two seasons ago when given free reign played at an All-star level for the end of the season. Knicks just decided to tear it all down the following season and go with a youth movement.

Every gm including ours could’ve signed him this summer. It’s wnd of July and we add him because we aren’t fully confident in the depth at pg. I just think folks are a little too hype over him. It’ll probably come down to him or Neto who is kept on this roster long term this season.

How many GM's passed on Draymond Green?

My point is front office people make a bunch of mistakes. I'd gauge my level of "excitement" on what your on evaluation of Burke is not just on the fact that he hasn't earned a large contract. It may very well be a situation were Trey and his reps thought playing one year for a contender would do more for his long term value. Not sure if you know or remember, but this is a guy who turned down a guaranteed contract with the Thunder 2 years ago to sign with the Knicks G-League team.

You’re comparing an unproven rookie to a guy who has been on the league and on a few teams already. Not the best of comparisons when it comes to GMs making mistakes.

Trey could be a bench player who helps an area of need which is a shot creating scorer. But to say this is a steal of a signing. Great pick up? A bit of a stretch. I like the addition and I hope he can help. But I’m not putting a lot of stock in him right now. He’s gotta prove it just as much as Neto does. Hopefully he can.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#63 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:30 pm

nice write up on Liberty Ballers on Burke, his game and how he could thrive in Philly:

https://www.libertyballers.com/2019/7/26/8931624/trey-burke-philadelphia-76ers-nba-free-agency-2019-new-york-knicks-dallas-mavericks

I would LOVE for Brown to run Burke in a lot of the old Tony Parker/Patty Mills Spurs sets...I think he could absolutely beast in that type of setting, and we have the personnel to make it work.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#64 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:35 pm

I recall watching Burke light it up for the Knicks 2 seasons ago. Why was he available this late in the off season?

*Edit: the article answered my question

"You’re probably wondering, “If he’s such a good signing, how was he available at this stage of the summer?” It’s a good question. He probably hasn’t yet shaken the reputation he formed during his first few seasons in the NBA, when his approach to the game and desire to improve were called into question. Plus, he’s been putting up numbers on bad teams. But I believe that the level Burke has gotten to as a scorer should testify to the change in approach the now 26-year-old has harvested. Burke is a professional scorer these days."

Thanks PhilasFinest
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#65 » by Eyeamok » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:41 pm

agiaco wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Masai Ujiri deserved EOY good for him.

Man I hope one day soon we will have a guy with EOY credentials running this team. It would be great to have someone like that in charge. Someone that could make great deals and draft with authority and certanity. I would feel a real sense of comfort if that were to happen. :lol:

We had a GM with EOY 'credentials'...

...that guy's accomplishments in two years wth the 76ers:

1. Draft TLC and Korkmaz in the 1st round of the same draft (over Siakam and Brogdon)
2. Sign Jeryd Bayless for 3 years 30m
3. Trade a future 1st for Pasecniks
4. Sign Amir Johnson for 11 million
5. Trade away a 2019 Knicks 2nd (#31) to get rid of Okafor.
6. Trade Hinkies entire remaining warchest for Markelle Fultz
7. Get caught on Twitter insulting his best player and his coach.

What a depressing list. To think how quickly Brand turned things around is even more of a testament to how well he's done so far.

You know studies have shown that generational wealth very rarely gets past the first generation. About 70% of riches get spent by the first generation and 90% of it is gone by the second generation. Daddy Colangelo got his son a job with an embarrassment of riches (some other poster used that term here..I like it :D ). So it's no wonder he squandered so much of it. He did not earn it.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#66 » by Da ThRONe » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:42 pm

sixers78 wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
sixers78 wrote:
Every gm including ours could’ve signed him this summer. It’s wnd of July and we add him because we aren’t fully confident in the depth at pg. I just think folks are a little too hype over him. It’ll probably come down to him or Neto who is kept on this roster long term this season.

My point is front office people make a bunch of mistakes. I'd gauge my level of "excitement" on what your on evaluation of Burke is not just on the fact that he hasn't earned a large contract. It may very well be a situation were Trey and his reps thought playing one year for a contender would do more for his long term value. Not sure if you know or remember, but this is a guy who turned down a guaranteed contract with the Thunder 2 years ago to sign with the Knicks G-League team.

You’re comparing an unproven rookie to a guy who has been on the league and on a few teams already. Not the best of comparisons when it comes to GMs making mistakes.

Trey could be a bench player who helps an area of need which is a shot creating scorer. But to say this is a steal of a signing. Great pick up? A bit of a stretch. I like the addition and I hope he can help. But I’m not putting a lot of stock in him right now. He’s gotta prove it just as much as Neto does. Hopefully he can.

It was a loose comparison I'll admit. However I could have said something like how many GM's tried to traded for Victor Oladipo. The point being the same.

I'm saying it's a steal of a signing because of Burke's game, it being a min contract, and the Sixers needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does start some games or he's apart of the 6ers best lineups. Not sure a front court of Embiid/Horford/Harris will be able to spend big mins together when teams start going small. I could see 6ers finishing games with Embiid/Harris/Simmons/Richardson/Burke.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#67 » by kuclas » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:53 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
sixers78 wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:

It was a loose comparison I'll admit. However I could have said something like how many GM's tried to traded for Victor Oladipo. The point being the same.

I'm saying it's a steal of a signing because of Burke's game, it being a min contract, and the Sixers needs.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does start some games or he's apart of the 6ers best lineups. Not sure a front court of Embiid/Horford/Harris will be able to spend big mins together when teams start going small. I could see 6ers finishing games with Embiid/Harris/Simmons/Richardson/Burke.

Horford (if he’s healthy) will be in at end of games. Defense is so valuable in nba. Real defense. Harris was a liability on defense in playoffs.

It will be interesting to see the closing lineup. If sixers up by 4-5. I think Horford/embiid/simmons

If sixers down 4-5. I could see Harris in

So it could be situational.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#68 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:10 pm

kuclas wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
sixers78 wrote:

Horford (if he’s healthy) will be in at end of games. Defense is so valuable in nba. Real defense. Harris was a liability on defense in playoffs.

It will be interesting to see the closing lineup. If sixers up by 4-5. I think Horford/embiid/simmons

If sixers down 4-5. I could see Harris in

So it could be situational.

Cut it out. Tobias isn't coming off the court for defensive substitutions. He isn't a great defender, but he isn't the type of players you take out for defense, unless the other team is going extremely small for some reason.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#69 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:14 pm

The best thing about Trey Burke is Brett can't play TJ McConnell with Ben Simmons at the same time anymore.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,844

Post#70 » by Ben » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:49 pm

I've been pining for a bench scorer this whole offseason-- figured/hoped it would be Bobi, and when that didn't happen kept waiting for a signing that wouldn't seem to come-- so I'm pleased with Burke.

At my most ridiculously optimistic I wish for him to be a kind of Lou Williams Lite, as Sweet Lou was my favorite Sixer during the days when I first became a fan, with an emphasis on the "Lite." Lou was/is more aggressive, and has always gotten to the line at an elite level, which is what lets him be such an able microwave. Burke has never shown that particular ability. Nonetheless, Sweet Lou Lite is my best-case Burke scenario. (I rooted for him at Michigan, so you'll forgive my bias.)

At my most realistic, I'm just pleased that we have another PG and someone who could/should be able to score against other teams' 2nd and 3rd units.

Either way, it's a fine use of a 1-year vet minimum. I'd bet on it being a better investment than Mike Scott at the mid level exception.
Sixerfever216
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#71 » by Sixerfever216 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:02 pm

I think we all like Burke for his bench scoring. But he was also a solid PG and play makes for others. I think he did a great job of evolving his game to a scorer that's what kept him in the league. Just like the fact he has the know how of how to run a team
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#72 » by phillynative » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:22 pm

If hes smart he will try to gain some chemistry with embiid and ben getting them easy baskets.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#73 » by LloydFree » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:48 pm

I could see Burke playing a lot with Al Horford on the 2nd unit. I imagine they could be a successful pick-and-pop duo.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#74 » by ankle420breaker » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:32 am

Love this move. Late bloomer, still only 26.

Good situation for him here. Legit scoring threat off the bench.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#75 » by thenbaman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:02 pm

kuclas wrote:
76ciology wrote:Could be the biggest surprise this season.

Two man game of Burke and Embiid.

Any small guard who is aggressive to the rim will succeed with embiid.

Burke isn’t even a good shooter but embiid on the floor in a pick and roll wit open up so much room for Burke if he’s willing to attack the basket with his dribble. He’s not the quickest guard though.

That’s why I wish Kemba would have given sixers a chance. He and embiid would be Incredible

If you watch the highlights of his 45 point game it was against kemba and he was blowing by him left and right
maybe why he is here,lol
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,421

Post#76 » by 76ciology » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:58 pm

The more I think of it, I think Burke is our counter for Lou Williams if ever we made it to the finals and face the Clippers
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,460

Post#77 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:01 pm

Just watched the 42/12 performance against the Hornets. Obviously the ability is there, he really looks like a slower Iverson in my opinion. Not as long as Iverson was either. Now I say slower Iverson only because I have yet to ever see a quicker player. So that's not to say that Burke can't break some ankles and dust some defenders. We can all agree he'll have to be used correctly for this to work. Burke plays a style of losing basketball, but what other choice did he have during his time with the Knicks? This is his second stop on a contending team, lets hope he finds a scorers role and buys in to winning a few rings. He's definitely going to be useful.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,043

Post#78 » by Sixerscan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 pm

76ciology wrote:The more I think of it, I think Burke is our counter for Lou Williams if ever we made it to the finals and face the Clippers

Burke certainly has an opportunity to earn backup 1 minutes, but imo the way to neutralize Lou is to bother him with length on both ends. You give him another shorty to go again and you give him the path to go off.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#79 » by Da ThRONe » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:01 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Just watched the 42/12 performance against the Hornets. Obviously the ability is there, he really looks like a slower Iverson in my opinion. Not as long as Iverson was either. Now I say slower Iverson only because I have yet to ever see a quicker player. So that's not to say that Burke can't break some ankles and dust some defenders. We can all agree he'll have to be used correctly for this to work. Burke plays a style of losing basketball, but what other choice did he have during his time with the Knicks? This is his second stop on a contending team, lets hope he finds a scorers role and buys in to winning a few rings. He's definitely going to be useful.

I believe Burke has a 6'5.5 wingspan. Iverson's is listed at 6'3.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#80 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:04 pm

Burke is quick, shifty, changes pace well and knows how to get to his spots....He thrives in the mid range where he can either pull-up or use his handle to penetrate, and like mentioned before, he utilizes the PNR pretty well.

No reason why he cannot thrive and feast in our system under Brown with either Embiid/Horford running as the Tim Duncan in Tony Parker/Patty Mills like Spur sets. While Burke is obviously not as good as Parker, he has a similar traits: quick burst and utilizes his dribble/mid range game to probe and get his offense like Parker did so often.The only tough task may be him picking this up in just 1 off-season.

Not overreacting to this signing, as there is a legitimate chance Burke doesnt even dress on certain games....but he does bring a unique scoring mindset/package to the team that we have not had in awhile. If he buys in, gets the minutes and is utilized in the right way...he can seriously help elevate our bench to a strength rather than a weakness like in years prior.

Zhaire/Thybulle/Ennis are capable of filling the Danny Green role off the bench as guys who just defend, keep the ball moving and being targets for open shots offensively. Scott will space the floor and is capable of being a pick and pop threat due to his shooting ability....and 1 of Embiid/Horford are likely going to be manning the 5 spot a majority of the time, allowing you to run the offense around them from a variety of positions in the post.

SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .

Return to Philadelphia 76ers