ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What book are you currently reading?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

zeke45
Sophomore
And1: 139

Re: OT: What book are you currently reading? 

Post#461 » by zeke45 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:18 pm

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Highly recommended.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,051

Post#462 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 am

60% of the way through Book # 2 of the Murderbot Diaries & I've loved every second of it thus far. I'd highly recommend this series to any sci-fi fans out there.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant

Post#463 » by Cubbies2120 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 am

Time to bump this thread for the Red Rising fans. About to start a re-read of Iron Gold in preparation for the upcoming sequel Dark Age.
Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Post#464 » by Zerostatic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:14 am

The Stand by Stephen King. Loving it! Truly Epic but it’s huge.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,617

Post#465 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:16 am

finishing first Wtcher
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant

Post#466 » by Cubbies2120 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:10 am

UcanUwill wrote:finishing first Wtcher

Read the series earlier this year. I gotta say that the first 2 books are my favorites. The short stories make it feel more like the video game rather than your traditional epic fantasy book. That's not to say that the rest them were bad or anything because they are definitely not.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#467 » by blanko » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:03 am

Adam Savage: every tool is a hammer, life is what you make of it.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#468 » by KnixinSix » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 am

The Bible. Best book ever! A relationship with God through his Word.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,817

Post#469 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:15 am

Devil in the White city
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#470 » by King of Canada » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:24 am

Zerostatic wrote:The Stand by Stephen King. Loving it! Truly Epic but it’s huge.

I just borrowed the stand from the library. Will start reading it as soon as I’m done this dog **** Michael Crichton book I’m reading now. God damn Michael Crichton is awful at writing books!!!!’
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#471 » by King of Canada » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:26 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:Time to bump this thread for the Red Rising fans. About to start a re-read of Iron Gold in preparation for the upcoming sequel Dark Age.

I loved the first book, but it started falling apart a bit later on. Didn’t finish book 4, but would like to try again.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#472 » by DOT » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:08 am

King of Canada wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:Time to bump this thread for the Red Rising fans. About to start a re-read of Iron Gold in preparation for the upcoming sequel Dark Age.

I loved the first book, but it started falling apart a bit later on. Didn’t finish book 4, but would like to try again.

I feel like the first 3 were really good, I was kinda disappointed with book 4 though. Just seems like it was unnecessary to me

I'll read Dark Age, but I'm not super hyped for it

But in terms of what I'm reading right now, I'm full speed ahead on reading Malazan. Finally finished book one a few weeks ago, and I plowed through 2, 3, and 4. Really looking forward to the rest of the series, it's really what I needed now that GoT finished and was pretty lackluster. Up next after Malazan for me is either Wheel of Time or The Expanse. I'm leaning Expanse just cause it'll give me a bit of a palette cleanser and I liked the first book more than the first two WoT books
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant

Post#473 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:25 am

K-DOT wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

I feel like the first 3 were really good, I was kinda disappointed with book 4 though. Just seems like it was unnecessary to me

Yeah Iron Gold is focuses more on political aspect of the world than any of the first three. Because of this, and the new POVs, it takes a long while(around 60-65%) for the overall plot to come together and get back to the pace we saw in the first three books. I think of IG as a prequel to Dark Age and book Six. And after the ending of IG I'm expecting Dark Age plot to be on par with Golden Son, which I consider to be one of best books I've ever read.

K-DOT wrote:But in terms of what I'm reading right now, I'm full speed ahead on reading Malazan. Finally finished book one a few weeks ago, and I plowed through 2, 3, and 4. Really looking forward to the rest of the series, it's really what I needed now that GoT finished and was pretty lackluster. Up next after Malazan for me is either Wheel of Time or The Expanse. I'm leaning Expanse just cause it'll give me a bit of a palette cleanser and I liked the first book more than the first two WoT books

I read WoT earlier this year. While I enjoyed the overall story I wasn't really a fan of the pacing for books 4-10. Felt like that could've been condensed quite a bit, imo. Also, most of the female characters can be quite irritating at times.

I've got Ender's Game, Malazan, Bobiverse and The Expanse all on my to be read list for this year. Just not sure about which order yet.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#474 » by DOT » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:But in terms of what I'm reading right now, I'm full speed ahead on reading Malazan. Finally finished book one a few weeks ago, and I plowed through 2, 3, and 4. Really looking forward to the rest of the series, it's really what I needed now that GoT finished and was pretty lackluster. Up next after Malazan for me is either Wheel of Time or The Expanse. I'm leaning Expanse just cause it'll give me a bit of a palette cleanser and I liked the first book more than the first two WoT books

I read WoT earlier this year. While I enjoyed the overall story I wasn't really a fan of the pacing for books 4-10. Felt like that could've been condensed quite a bit, imo. Also, most of the female characters can be quite irritating at times.

I've got Ender's Game, Malazan, Bobiverse and The Expanse all on my to be read list for this year. Just not sure about which order yet.

My problem with WoT is that it feels kind of, generic I guess. I've only read the first two books, so I can't speak for the whole series, but it just didn't grip me like some other books do. It's quality stuff, just to me, it feels like I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't read stories like GoT and Malazan first. If I hadn't read LotR as a teenager, I think that'd be how I felt about it too. But I am going to eventually get through them

I'l just speak to Malazan, it's very hard to get into but very worth it in my opinion. Like, I don't think there's a single exposition dump until halfway through the first book, and even then it doesn't really explain much of what's going on. It's like if you were to read ASoIaF but just skip book one and start on book two. And then book two of Malazan pretty much has a completely different cast in an entirely different location, but for me, it's what sold me on the series. The Chain of Dogs sequence in particular is probably my favorite part of what I've read so far, up to book 5, and everything up to this point just feels like set up for the real story to come. If you're going to read it, there's a guide for the first three books that I'd say is pretty much mandatory, cause you're just going to be super lost without it. Or at least, I was, and you might be significantly smarter than me so you don't need it. Definitely recommend it, but it's not as easy to get into as the other books you mentioned that I've read.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant

Post#475 » by Cubbies2120 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:19 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

My problem with WoT is that it feels kind of, generic I guess. I've only read the first two books, so I can't speak for the whole series, but it just didn't grip me like some other books do. It's quality stuff, just to me, it feels like I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't read stories like GoT and Malazan first. If I hadn't read LotR as a teenager, I think that'd be how I felt about it too. But I am going to eventually get through them

I'l just speak to Malazan, it's very hard to get into but very worth it in my opinion. Like, I don't think there's a single exposition dump until halfway through the first book, and even then it doesn't really explain much of what's going on. It's like if you were to read ASoIaF but just skip book one and start on book two. And then book two of Malazan pretty much has a completely different cast in an entirely different location, but for me, it's what sold me on the series. The Chain of Dogs sequence in particular is probably my favorite part of what I've read so far, up to book 5, and everything up to this point just feels like set up for the real story to come. If you're going to read it, there's a guide for the first three books that I'd say is pretty much mandatory, cause you're just going to be super lost without it. Or at least, I was, and you might be significantly smarter than me so you don't need it. Definitely recommend it, but it's not as easy to get into as the other books you mentioned that I've read.

You're spot on with the that Malazan description. I actually got through around 25% of the first book before realizing that I had no idea wtf is going on and dropping it in favor of WoT and Dresden Files back in February. I eventually found a handy little guide on reddit and am definitely planning on utilizing it when I restart the book in near future.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#476 » by DOT » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:41 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:

You're spot on with the that Malazan description. I actually got through around 25% of the first book before realizing that I had no idea wtf is going on and dropping it in favor of WoT and Dresden Files back in February. I eventually found a handy little guide on reddit and am definitely planning on utilizing it when I restart the book in near future.

Yeah, that's about as far as I got the first time too. It took me at least a year, maybe more, of starting and stopping to finally get through the whole thing. But so far, I'd say it has been very worth it, and it's pretty high up on my list of favorite fantasy series already.
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#477 » by Dave DaButcher » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Finally getting around to Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff". So far, even better than the movie, which I loved.

It's the story of a group of heroes undertaking a noble quest as they make history. Reminds me a lot of the 2019-20 Knicks squad.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#478 » by NYKAL » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:41 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
King of Canada wrote:

Yeah Iron Gold is focuses more on political aspect of the world than any of the first three. Because of this, and the new POVs, it takes a long while(around 60-65%) for the overall plot to come together and get back to the pace we saw in the first three books. I think of IG as a prequel to Dark Age and book Six. And after the ending of IG I'm expecting Dark Age plot to be on par with Golden Son, which I consider to be one of best books I've ever read.

It was supposed to be fewer books but, the publishers asked him to stretch them out. You can really feel the change after book 3.
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#479 » by Nostrand Ave » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:11 am

Finally I'm back. I got a new PC and I didnt save my site info. :)
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant

Post#480 » by Cubbies2120 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:36 am

Just finished Dark Age and damn! What an insane ride that book turned out to be. It was fast paced, absolutely brutal(literally had to put the book down and find an emotional pick me up at one point) and full of crazy twists & turns, but without losing any of the emotional depth that I've come to expect from a Pierce Brown book. I am equal parts terrified and excited to see how this saga will finally end.

Adding Virginia's POV is an absolute stroke of genius, especially considering how well PB executed it. He's really grown as a writer since the first Book.

I think I'm ready to put RR at the top of my GOAT series list. Before this book, it was a deadlock between RR, GoT, Stormlight, First Law, KKC & LoTR.

Return to New York Knicks