ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: Welcome to Boston Vincent Poirier! 

Post#181 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:36 am

djFan71 wrote:
Gant wrote:Kanter, Poirier Should Give Boston Big Boost on Boards
By Taylor C. Snow

Standing at 7-foot-1 with a reach of nearly nine-and-a-half feet, Poirier provides a massive interior presence with a skill set of which Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge admires.

“He’s an active, athletic player,” Ainge said Wednesday. “He’s just another big body for us, with some things that we need to fine-tune. In our frontcourt, I think that he’s going to have a chance.”

During Euroleague play last season, Poirier averaged 11.9 points and a league-leading 8.3 rebounds per game, while shooting 62.1 percent from the field. Like Kanter, the 25-year-old, French big man is also a strong offensive rebounder, having tallied 5.23 offensive boards per 40 minutes while playing for the Spanish squad Baskonia.

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/misc-071919-kanter-poirier-should-give-boston-big-boost-boards?sf216011625=1

Wow. That's almost Gobertesque. Nothing on Tacko.... but I didn't realize Poirier was quite that big. I like the size, toughness and rebounding. Will be interesting to see him once he gets over here.

If its actually 9'6", then the only guys the last ten years to beat that at the combine are: Bol, Fall, Bamba, Gobert, McGee. But a broad word like 'nearly' can mean his reach is like 9'3", which adds in another 20+ guys. Either way I'm really excited to see how he looks.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#182 » by celtxman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:59 am

Remember what Brad Stevens focuses on - what a player CAN do and playing to that strength. I don't know about anyone else but I am hoping for a better rebounding team and that is where Poirier can help a lot. Also on the video you see him shooting a 3. Maybe he can develop this shot. Think of how Brook Lopez never used to shoot 3's.
I am not sure how well Stevens can coach narcissistic superstars. I am sure that Stevens can coach up players and change style based on personnel. We may be looking at a different big man situation by the trade deadline, but remember the Celtics were interested in Poirier long before Horford walked. I'm looking forward to seeing what Poirier can do.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#183 » by claycarver » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:If its actually 9'6", then the only guys the last ten years to beat that at the combine are: Bol, Fall, Bamba, Gobert, McGee. But a broad word like 'nearly' can mean his reach is like 9'3", which adds in another 20+ guys. Either way I'm really excited to see how he looks.

Ainge says it's a 9' 4.5" standing reach. But he also says he's 7' 1" so who knows. Whatever it is, plenty of length.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/tags/vincent-poirier
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#184 » by Roddy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Nah he is 7'0. He always give this height in french interview.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Post#185 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#186 » by Green89 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:32 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been saying he should be above RWIII on the depth chart. He wouldn't have turned down cash to be a 3rd stringer center over here. He'll definitely have to prove that in camp, but as long as he does, he should see the floor ahead of Rob.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,055

Post#187 » by Gant » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:33 pm

All anyone has to do to know Poirier has a great shot at playing time is look at huge centers like Embiid. Who else even could hope to guard a guy like that on this team?

I love Baynes. Baynes is gone. Poirier is the new longer, more athletic Baynes. Long live Poirier.
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#188 » by claycarver » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:33 am

Roddy wrote:Nah he is 7'0. He always give this height in french interview.

yes, that's my point. Ainge gave a specific number for reach and height. We know he was wrong on height, so that casts a bit of doubt on his exact reach number. Certainly, his reach isn't greater than what Danny said.

Regardless, he's tall and long.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Post#189 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Standard pear trees grow to about 18-20 feet tall and 12-13 feet wide. Vincent is no different.
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#190 » by PtruthP34 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:28 pm

claycarver wrote:

yes, that's my point. Ainge gave a specific number for reach and height. We know he was wrong on height, so that casts a bit of doubt on his exact reach number. Certainly, Danny his reach isn't greater than what Danny said.

Regardless, he's tall and long.

I thought his height was listed in international play at 6'11" (without shoes), whereas in the US they give measurements with shoes, so 7'1"

I'm guessing when Ainge gives his standing reach numbers, it's accurate but with shoes on as well.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#191 » by FakeScreenName123 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:58 pm

sick if he's good at rebounding we can trade Kanter for a protected 2nd at the trade deadline
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#192 » by JHTruth » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Green89 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been saying he should be above RWIII on the depth chart. He wouldn't have turned down cash to be a 3rd stringer center over here. He'll definitely have to prove that in camp, but as long as he does, he should see the floor ahead of Rob.

My guess he's starting by Christmas. Kanter was just brought in as training wheels for Poirier and Time Lord. There's no way his pick and roll defense or lack thereof doesnt drive Brad completely insane by Thanksgiving. Much like the Knicks last year with Mitch Rob.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#193 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:03 pm

I believe in Europe the convention is to list their real height, instead of to play the ridiculous NBA game of tacking on an inch or two for their shoes.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#194 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:05 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Green89 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

My guess he's starting by Christmas. Kanter was just brought in as training wheels for Poirier and Time Lord. There's no way his pick and roll defense or lack thereof doesnt drive Brad completely insane by Thanksgiving. Much like the Knicks last year with Mitch Rob.

I'm still betting on Rob to start, though probably not until January or February. And players take less money to come over here to the NBA all the time--even if they don't get to play much.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#195 » by Homerclease » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Question is whether or not he can handle the speed of the NBA. That was Zizics issue the first time he stepped on the court on this side of the pond. Looked great in Europe but moved in slow motion here.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#196 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:10 pm

based on SL, rob is about as close to starting as he is to be cast as the 14th Doctor. especially if poirier really is as good as people are saying, rob is battling theis for 3rd string minutes and atm he's behind. i'll be ecstatic if timelord is a 15 mpg contributor by the end of the season.

if poirier can defend and rebound and throw down an occasional p-n-r jam, he might very well start, and have kanter come off the bench to provide scoring on the 2nd unit. then go offense/defense down the stretch.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#197 » by Homerclease » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:15 pm

ParticleMan wrote:based on SL, rob is about as close to starting as he is to be cast as the 14th Doctor. especially if poirier really is as good as people are saying, rob is battling theis for 3rd string minutes and atm he's behind. i'll be ecstatic if timelord is a 15 mpg contributor by the end of the season.

if poirier can defend and rebound and throw down an occasional p-n-r jam, he might very well start, and have kanter come off the bench to provide scoring on the 2nd unit. then go offense/defense down the stretch.

I don’t see any basis for Poirier being above Williams on the depth chart at all. SL or no SL
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#198 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Homerclease wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:based on SL, rob is about as close to starting as he is to be cast as the 14th Doctor. especially if poirier really is as good as people are saying, rob is battling theis for 3rd string minutes and atm he's behind. i'll be ecstatic if timelord is a 15 mpg contributor by the end of the season.

I don’t see any basis for Poirier being above Williams on the depth chart at all. SL or no SL

this is the poirier thread so i'm just jumping aboard the poirier hype train :) tbh, i have no idea at all about poirier beyond those highlights of him dunking on 6-6 euro guys... the nba is a different beast.

but imo the bar is pretty low to pass rob on the depth chart. if poirier can rebound and defend at an nba level at all, with his size, he's already above williams, because williams can't defend at an nba level yet.
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/26/celtics-fans-should-expect-robert-williams-in-a-limited-role-next-year/
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#199 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Rob to me showed a lot in SL, particularly for a guy who didn't get to play much last year due to his knees and had limited, sub-par coaching before that. Great passing and rebounding, good energy, team player. Still learning.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#200 » by JHTruth » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Kanter will whine and complain if he's coming off the bench. Like he did on Twitter last year when Mitch Rob started to take his mins. There's a reason the terrible Knicks dumped him and the Blazers couldn't have cared less about bringing him back. He's a horrible, lazy defender and a selfish offensive player who uses his Turkish dissident persona and personality to win over media and fans. His act will tire quickly. No way he lasts past the deadline. Theis will be primary PF backup and 3rd string C in a pinch. TL or Frenchman to start

Return to Boston Celtics