ImageImageImage

Tacko Fall Signed to Two-Way (10-13-19)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,651

Re: Welcome to our SL team, Tacko Fall! 

Post#441 » by Green89 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:25 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:If you put Tacko in for 20 min this year he'll at least get block shots, defend drives to rim, and get a few layups.

On a bad team Tacko could easily get 10 points, 8 boards, 3blk this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

I think you underestimate how much harder it is to score in paint at NBA level compared to SL. Nothing is easy. His slow and deliberate post moves will get eaten alive at next level, and nobody has patience to set them up anymore anyway. To score he is going to have to learn to roll, catch and finish quickly. And why can’t he? Seems easier than a sky hook anyway.

To the point that he only needs to be good enough to be 15th man.....if that is true.....then who cares anyway? We want the next Rudy Gobert .... not the next Kosta Koufos....I mean come on.....there is more to this than just getting free Tacos because he barely squeaks onto roster.

He'll have a tougher time getting baskets, as NBA defenders will contest or foul him more than he got in SL. With his poor free throw shooting, an opposing coach will tell guys to foul rather than give up a dunk, and try to grab his arms. I would throw him in early in a quarter and go right to him with a few lobs. He's either going to dunk it or get fouled. Getting fouled early in the 2nd and 4th quarters will help with putting our starters at the line later in the quarter.

So, if anything, he'll be a great lob/dunk opportunity, or a put the other team in foul trouble quickly strategy.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#442 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Roland2000 wrote:The guy has so much potential. I am truly shocked that this is even a discussion. At the very least, develop him, pump up his value and use him to get an even better player.

I think they underestimated him and, while doing so, really filled in their big man spots with other good candidates like Kanter and Poirier. They also have Time Lord. So, at the moment, they are loaded. Time Lord better figure out how to be a power forward real quick. Otherwise, he's not getting much playing time at all. They have Theis too....who has to try power forward....

Anyway, I think Tacko will keep improving. He's just at the beginning of his development.

As someone who liked Fall coming into the draft the elevated expectations are getting ridiculous. He played four years of college basketball and while he was a good player he made 3rd team all conference as a senior in the American Athletic Conference that had zero players drafted into the NBA.

He is interesting guy as a situational player and a fun story but let get serious here.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,015

Post#443 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: Brad hates bigs.

You are aware that just because you say something like it's true that doesn't make it true, right?
He ran Horford out of town playing him at center. He seemed to refuse to want to win anyway but his way. I think he just refused to use Baynes and Horford together last year but they nearly got us to the finals the year before with couple young pups.
He abused Horford. He would not even give Williams development minutes. He could not get bigs in college and he not has a huge grudge against bigs.imho

Ya, but no. No.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#444 » by Big Joke Line » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 am

Do we have to get serious? Just when I was going to post this?

Hey Man, nice shot!
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#445 » by Roddy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:44 pm

This huge guy is moving pretty well. We have never seen anything like that before.

Read on Twitter
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#446 » by Justin33 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Roddy wrote:This huge guy is moving pretty well. We have never seen anything like that before.

Read on Twitter

We have actually seen much much better
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#447 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:

You are aware that just because you say something like it's true that doesn't make it true, right?
He ran Horford out of town playing him at center. He seemed to refuse to want to win anyway but his way. I think he just refused to use Baynes and Horford together last year but they nearly got us to the finals the year before with couple young pups.
He abused Horford. He would not even give Williams development minutes. He could not get bigs in college and he not has a huge grudge against bigs.imho

Ya, but no. No.

I'm with Tiny Ball on this.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#448 » by Roddy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Justin33 wrote:
Roddy wrote:This huge guy is moving pretty well. We have never seen anything like that before.

Read on Twitter

Yao was a far better player for sure. But Tacko seems faster.

When you look at Eaton, Bradley, Muresan, Boban, Rik Smits, Manute...they were all slower than Tacko.
Roland2000
Sophomore
And1: 359

Post#449 » by Roland2000 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Read on Twitter

This guy definitely is moving and built better than the majority of previous 7'-6" players. Still shaking my head that a guy of his proportions, moving like he can...Was UNDRAFTED! Unbelievable. Thank goodness someone on the Celts had the presence of mind to pick this guy up.

He's worth every bit of time taken to train him and see what his potential truly is. There's nothing at all to loose.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#450 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Roddy wrote:
Justin33 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yao was a far better player for sure. But Tacko seems quicker.

When you look at Eaton, Bradley, Muresan, Boban, Rik Smits, Manute...they were all slower than Tacko.

Yao was a great player at the NBA level--an AS all 8 years he played--but part of his game wasn't all that different in style from what we saw of Tacko at SL. Blocks with a lot of catch-and-dunks at the basket. In fact, if Tacko can develop enough to get some playing time, his production in terms of rebounds, blocks and dunks may not be that far from Yao's, for the time he is out there. It is the midrange and FT shooting (a career .833 on FTs) Yao had that we really don't have much basis to hope for from Tacko. That's the likely difference between Tacko's hope to be primarily a defensive, and likely situational, player and Yao being a great two-way player all around.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#451 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Plus Yao's incredible footwork, rebounding and passing ability, but yeah otherwise they are the same player.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#452 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:05 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: He ran Horford out of town playing him at center. He seemed to refuse to want to win anyway but his way. I think he just refused to use Baynes and Horford together last year but they nearly got us to the finals the year before with couple young pups.

Ya, but no. No.

He abused Horford? Horford played 69 games a year. Horford flourished under Stevens. Whether he left because he was playing Center, who knows, I'd imagine it was a combo of yeah, playing next to Joel Embiid, playing for a potentially better team, and also getting more money.

Robert Williams was a raw, late first round rookie. How much do those guys play generally on teams that have championship aspirations?

Baynes was injured all of last year, and when he was healthy he played 20% of his minutes (163 out of 821) with Horford. Seems good to me, I don't want two bigs on the court unless against specific matchups, or if you have two elite bigs. And Baynes wasn't elite, played a nice role as a stout defender, though.

You're right, he really failed to get bigs at Butler. Probably why was he was successful because bigs are useless in college. He failed to get anyone besides Hayward and Shelvin Mack into the NBA even. Terrible coach.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#453 » by FakeScreenName123 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:12 pm

lmbo
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#454 » by Half-Full » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:32 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Ya, but no. No.

He abused Horford? Horford played 69 games a year. Horford flourished under Stevens. Whether he left because he was playing Center, who knows, I'd imagine it was a combo of yeah, playing next to Joel Embiid, playing for a potentially better team, and also getting more money.

Robert Williams was a raw, late first round rookie. How much do those guys play generally on teams that have championship aspirations?

Baynes was injured all of last year, and when he was healthy he played 20% of his minutes (163 out of 821) with Horford. Seems good to me, I don't want two bigs on the court unless against specific matchups, or if you have two elite bigs. And Baynes wasn't elite, played a nice role as a stout defender, though.

You're right, he really failed to get bigs at Butler. Probably why was he was successful because bigs are useless in college. He failed to get anyone besides Hayward and Shelvin Mack into the NBA even. Terrible coach.

Terrible coach? Come on. He was acknowledged to be one of the best coaches at the college level, taking a small program deep into the NCAA tournament. His W-L record with the Celtics over the past four years is 205-123 (a W-L % of .625). That is a very respectable percentage, and not an indicator of a terrible coach. His peers and NBA players all acknowledge that he is a leading coach in the league.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#455 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Half-Full wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Terrible coach? Come on. He was acknowledged to be one of the best coaches at the college level, taking a small program deep into the NCAA tournament. His W-L record with the Celtics over the past four years is 205-123 (a W-L % of .625). That is a very respectable percentage, and not an indicator of a terrible coach. His peers and NBA players all acknowledge that he is a leading coach in the league.

Sarcasm is so much better when its not in green font.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#456 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:41 pm

This board is struggling horribly with the sarcasm and jokes lately.

Blow it up, fire Danny.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#457 » by Half-Full » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:47 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Half-Full wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:He abused Horford? Horford played 69 games a year. Horford flourished under Stevens. Whether he left because he was playing Center, who knows, I'd imagine it was a combo of yeah, playing next to Joel Embiid, playing for a potentially better team, and also getting more money.

Sarcasm is so much better when its not in green font.

Is it?
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#458 » by BigTrade92 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:51 pm

Our guy is making the team, no doubt about it.

Read on Twitter
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#459 » by Tiny ball » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:55 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Ya, but no. No.

Horford did not want to play center. The Celtics played their best basketball then Baynes and Horford were on the floor even if was with three young pups.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#460 » by Tiny ball » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:57 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:Our guy is making the team, no doubt about it.

Read on Twitter

I heard Tackos was kicking him some Kanter ass?

Return to Boston Celtics