ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#421 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:11 pm

Doumbouya's not a sure thing either. But if he hits his upside you have a player who is considerably more valuable than Langford unless Langford becomes a borderline all star. Doumbouya is also a year younger than Langford.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,276

Post#422 » by brackdan70 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:26 pm

celtxman wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:
Bar Fight wrote:Draft projections before the college season mean almost nothing.

It seems to be right around where he was projected. It's not like Langford was a huge reach at 14.

ESPN - 16
Ringer - 15
Athletic - 15
SI - 21
BR - 13
CBS - 15
Basketball Insiders - 9
Yahoo - 13
Sporting News - 26
Agreed he was not a huge reach, but certainly a curious choice as currently he doesn't fill a need. So I guess we assume Ainge felt he was so much of a value as the best player available that he couldn't pass him up. My fear is drafting Yabu, James Young, and KO (over Giannis) in this range doesn't give me extreme confidence here

The fill a need argument really doesn’t make sense for rookies. Will he fill a need in 2 years? Maybe.
I assume the Cs thought he was BPA. I would have really liked Sekou but I don’t mind Langford.
Sign here
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#423 » by Elrod is Back » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:58 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Doumbouya's not a sure thing either. But if he hits his upside you have a player who is considerably more valuable than Langford unless Langford becomes a borderline all star. Doumbouya is also a year younger than Langford.

I would have picked Langford over Doumbouya, so I am glad the Cs did. My friends who watch Big 10 basketball closely were all high on him, say he is a complete player and a plus athlete, and think his shot will come around. Everyone predicted he'd eventually be an all-star. Also, you have to think they have researched him so they know everything they can about his make-up. No James Young red flags. I doubt Romeo gets much court time this season, but I expect him to play big minutes in Maine.

Speaking of which, that Maine team is going to be a hot ticket with Waters, Langford and possibly/hopefully Tacko.
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#424 » by Bluewhale » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:03 am

I trusted the Celtics front office in Romeo case.

I really don't see another Giannis case.

When the Celtics front office pick up one from a group with similar talents, they hit more than miss.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#425 » by sam_I_am » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Doumbouya's not a sure thing either. But if he hits his upside you have a player who is considerably more valuable than Langford unless Langford becomes a borderline all star. Doumbouya is also a year younger than Langford.

If both Langford and Dombouya turn out to be home run picks who max out there ability, we would be better off with Dombouya. In my opinion, there are many more skills Sekou has to acquire to get there.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#426 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:01 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

If both Langford and Dombouya turn out to be home run picks who max out there ability, we would be better off with Dombouya. In my opinion, there are many more skills Sekou has to acquire to get there.

Yet, with the number of rooks the C's have this year anyway, a little patience with Dombouya might have made more sense. I am afraid Langford was a Brad Stevens, Indiana pick. My guess would be that at least some of the C's brain trust might have gone another way. (I am rooting for Tacko to force his way onto the main roster, but even with that he's likely to see some time in Maine.)
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#427 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:03 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:

I would have picked Langford over Doumbouya, so I am glad the Cs did. My friends who watch Big 10 basketball closely were all high on him, say he is a complete player and a plus athlete, and think his shot will come around. Everyone predicted he'd eventually be an all-star. Also, you have to think they have researched him so they know everything they can about his make-up. No James Young red flags. I doubt Romeo gets much court time this season, but I expect him to play big minutes in Maine.

Speaking of which, that Maine team is going to be a hot ticket with Waters, Langford and possibly/hopefully Tacko.

I hope your friends are proven right. And yes, that lineup -- including Strus -- could have been enough to lure Erman to in a sense take the demotion to coach them (and get the head coaching experience and resume).
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Post#428 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:36 pm

cloverleaf wrote: I am afraid Langford was a Brad Stevens, Indiana pick. My guess would be that at least some of the C's brain trust might have gone another way.

If Langford was a Brad Stevens pick I feel better about it than if it was an Ainge pick. To paraphrase Bill Parcells, the guy who has to do the cooking will usually do a better job of buying the groceries.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Elrod is Back
Starter

Post#429 » by Elrod is Back » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
cloverleaf wrote: I am afraid Langford was a Brad Stevens, Indiana pick. My guess would be that at least some of the C's brain trust might have gone another way.

If Langford was a Brad Stevens pick I feel better about it than if it was an Ainge pick. To paraphrase Bill Parcells, the guy who has to do the cooking will usually do a better job of buying the groceries.

The reason why coaches don't always make good drafters/GMs is that, unless they are Bill Belichick or Bill Walsh or Bill Parcels--what is with all these Bills?-- they do not have long-term job security so they will br inclined to sacrifice the future for the present.

Or sometimes coaches just lack the talent assessment skills to be a good GM: Worst example of crappy GM work by a coach: Rick Pitino with the Cs. Trading away lottery picks and wildly overpaying for mediocrities that got you nowhere near contention was his stock in trade. (Bye Bye Chauncey Billups and Shawn Marion; Hello Kenny Anderson and Vitaly Potapenko, anyone?

Brad has tremendous job security, too, so let's hope he can take the longer view. Nobody available at 14 was going to play much of a role on the 19-20 team, so it was a pick for the future.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#430 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Coaches also generally don't have the time to comb through and analyze, on a current basis, the available prospects to the depth of the GM, draft and scouting staff.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,374

Post#431 » by Homerclease » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

The reason why coaches don't always make good drafters/GMs is that, unless they are Bill Belichick or Bill Walsh or Bill Parcels--what is with all these Bills?-- they do not have long-term job security so they will br inclined to sacrifice the future for the present.

Or sometimes coaches just lack the talent assessment skills to be a good GM: Worst example of crappy GM work by a coach: Rick Pitino with the Cs. Trading away lottery picks and wildly overpaying for mediocrities that got you nowhere near contention was his stock in trade. (Bye Bye Chauncey Billups and Shawn Marion; Hello Kenny Anderson and Vitaly Potapenko, anyone?

Brad has tremendous job security, too, so let's hope he can take the longer view. Nobody available at 14 was going to play much of a role on the 19-20 team, so it was a pick for the future.

Seems like a silly take when the two guys selected after Romeo are likely rotation players for the Celtics this season
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#432 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:

I think Langford was an Ainge pick. Brad, like most coaches, likes high motor guys. Danny likes the high upside guys.

From the interviews he gave after the pick though, Brad seems to have used his Indiana connections to vet Romeo's mindset and came away satisfied.
GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,681

Post#433 » by GotDaSauce » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm

So is Langford part ninja?? How has there not been any workout footage of him in the last few weeks? No stories.. nothing.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,929

Post#434 » by CelticsPride18 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:51 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

I think Langford was an Ainge pick. Brad, like most coaches, likes high motor guys. Danny likes the high upside guys.

From the interviews he gave after the pick though, Brad seems to have used his Indiana connections to vet Romeo's mindset and came away satisfied.

Jonathan Givony said Brad was enamored with Langford.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#435 » by sam_I_am » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:03 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

Yet, with the number of rooks the C's have this year anyway, a little patience with Dombouya might have made more sense. I am afraid Langford was a Brad Stevens, Indiana pick. My guess would be that at least some of the C's brain trust might have gone another way. (I am rooting for Tacko to force his way onto the main roster, but even with that he's likely to see some time in Maine.)

I disagree if you think Langford is a better prospect. Should always pick better player over need with lottery picks. Just because Sekou is 6-9 and reminds of Siakam and we would love and need to have the next Siakam.....doesn’t mean he is going to be good. When I watch highlights of Dombouya I see a fast, athletic really tall and long guy who doesn’t know how to play basketball. When I see Langford I see a guy with perfect size and length for his position who is already a complete 2 way player who just needs to fix his shot. Obviously, we have seen neither play against NBA competition .... so who knows what to think until after we do. Nobody talked about Siakam before the draft or even immediately after it and look what he has become.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#436 » by Leprechaun18 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:09 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

I disagree if you think Langford is better. Just because Sekou is 6-9 and reminds of Siakam doesn’t mean he is anywhere as good as Siakam was when he was drafted. When I watch highlights of Dombouya I see a fast, athletic really tall and long guy who doesn’t know how to play basketball. When I see Langford I see a guy with perfect size and length for his position who is already a complete 2 way player who just needs to fix his shot. Obviously, we have seen neither play against NBA competition .... so who knows what to think until after we do. Nobody talked about Siakam before the draft or even immediately after it and look what he has become.

Good post! Peeps need to see this guy actually play before calling him a bad pick. I think he was a great pick. He got SKILLS and is athletic! Peeps need to go get a drink and calm down til training camp.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#437 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:19 pm

Leprechaun18 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I disagree if you think Langford is better. Just because Sekou is 6-9 and reminds of Siakam doesn’t mean he is anywhere as good as Siakam was when he was drafted. When I watch highlights of Dombouya I see a fast, athletic really tall and long guy who doesn’t know how to play basketball. When I see Langford I see a guy with perfect size and length for his position who is already a complete 2 way player who just needs to fix his shot. Obviously, we have seen neither play against NBA competition .... so who knows what to think until after we do. Nobody talked about Siakam before the draft or even immediately after it and look what he has become.

Good post! Peeps need to see this guy actually play before calling him a bad pick. I think he was a great pick. He got SKILLS and is athletic! Peeps need to go get a drink and calm down til training camp.

Calling Langford a complete two-way player is a stretch. A complete offensive player with a broken shot and the tools to become a good defensive player if he commits to it is IMO a more apt description.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#438 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:03 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

I don't know much about Doumbouya - a 3/D combo forward with transition scoring in the Aminu mold? With the hope perhaps to develop a Paskal Siakam style offensive game?

Langford's upside is comparable to that. A volume scoring PNR SG. That archetype is rich with all-stars. Romeo's lack of elite athleticism takes away the Kobe/Wade tier, and his lack of elite skill takes away the Harden/Manu tier, but there are still plenty of pretty appealing examples of good athletes with good skill - DeRozan (an elite vertical but otherwise more of a body control/strength guy), Beal, Hayward, Butler and Jrue Holiday. A pretty good range of shooting ability, passing ability and defensive ability in that group.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#439 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:18 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Leprechaun18 wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

Calling Langford a complete two-way player is a stretch. A complete offensive player with a broken shot and the tools to become a good defensive player if he commits to it is IMO a more apt description.

True on the D, but his shot isn't broken either. Shot well in high school. Has a good mid-range. Has a pull-up and stepback. Shot a decent percentage at the line. Sketchy is what I'd call it, same as Barrett and Culver.

Broken I'd reserve for guys like Simmons and MKG - guys who can't and don't shoot - or guys like TA and Rondo - guys who shoot only when wide open and even then poorly.
Elrod is Back
Starter

Post#440 » by Elrod is Back » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:20 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Elrod is Back wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

Seems like a silly take when the two guys selected after Romeo are likely rotation players for the Celtics this season

Welcome back, Homer. You still have all your charm. Back to ignore for you.

Return to Boston Celtics