ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Enes Kanter!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Welcome to Boston Enes Kanter! 

Post#401 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:41 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Cherry-Picked Stat of the Day: Only two players had an offensive rebounding rate of at least 14% and a defensive rebounding rate of at least 20% in each of the last five seasons -- Andre Drummond and Enes Kanter. Al Horford and Aron Baynes never had one such season in their 19 seasons combined.

But a good one. Listening to his interviews, it sounds as if Enes is up for working on more D and the 3 for Brad this year, which could add a lot if it doesn't take from his current scoring efficiency and rebounding.
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#402 » by Smog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:27 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Elrod is Back wrote:Worth noting that in traditional analysis, great defensive rebounding was considered the sign of a useful defensive player, since the who idea of defense is to get the other team to miss shots and then get possession of the ball.

It has been painful for years now to see the Cs play great D and then not gain possession as the other team corralled an offensive rebound and got another chance to score. That will happen less next season we can hope. It will help our defense.

Kanter will either get the defensive rebound or let guys score unmolested - either way opponents crushing the offensive glass won't be a problem.

I thought Kanter looked a lot better on defense last year - do statistics bear that out? Went to a few games in NY where he looked pretty good.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#403 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 am

Smog wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Elrod is Back wrote:Worth noting that in traditional analysis, great defensive rebounding was considered the sign of a useful defensive player, since the who idea of defense is to get the other team to miss shots and then get possession of the ball.

It has been painful for years now to see the Cs play great D and then not gain possession as the other team corralled an offensive rebound and got another chance to score. That will happen less next season we can hope. It will help our defense.

Kanter will either get the defensive rebound or let guys score unmolested - either way opponents crushing the offensive glass won't be a problem.

I thought Kanter looked a lot better on defense last year - do statistics bear that out? Went to a few games in NY where he looked pretty good.

2nd worst center in DRPM. Has been bottom 3 every year (including 2 dead last) except for the previous year in NY when he was 8th worst.

A very comprehensive look at his defensive problems in NY: https://thefrontofficeeye.com/2018/04/02/enes-kanters-actual-impact/
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#404 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:32 am

No worries. No need for rim protection from Kanter. Celtics will just turn their opponents over even before they can take a shot. Every time down.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#405 » by threrf23 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:32 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Smog wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

2nd worst center in DRPM. Has been bottom 3 every year (including 2 dead last) except for the previous year in NY when he was 8th worst.

A very comprehensive look at his defensive problems in NY: https://thefrontofficeeye.com/2018/04/02/enes-kanters-actual-impact/

Once traded to Portland, the Blazers defense was better with Kanter on the court than it was with Kanter on the bench (or on the Knicks). In the postseason he had the best defensive +/- amongst Blazer starters. He also had the best overall plus/minus amongst Blazers starters in the postseason.

That is taken with a grain of salt, because plus minus, small sample sizes, etc.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#406 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:15 am

Read on Twitter
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#407 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:22 am

This sucks. This absolutely sucks.

Read on Twitter
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,664

Post#408 » by Green89 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:03 pm

https://hoopshype.com/2019/07/28/enes-kanter-qa-im-trying-to-be-the-voice-for-all-of-those-innocent-people-who-dont-have-one/

Big article. Enes talks about a ton of stuff including season expectations and playing two on two: Jaylen and Kanter vs. Tacko and Hayward.

People are just so focused on the Clippers and Lakers, like you said, and sometimes Milwaukee and Philly. But I definitely think we can shock the world.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#409 » by JHTruth » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:00 am

threrf23 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Smog wrote:

Once traded to Portland, the Blazers defense was better with Kanter on the court than it was with Kanter on the bench (or on the Knicks). In the postseason he had the best defensive +/- amongst Blazer starters. He also had the best overall plus/minus amongst Blazers starters in the postseason.

That is taken with a grain of salt, because plus minus, small sample sizes, etc.

And yet they made zero effort to retain his services. Kanter is a horrible defender and probably always will be.

Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#410 » by Smog » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:30 am

JHTruth wrote:
threrf23 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

And yet they made zero effort to retain his services. Kanter is a horrible defender and probably always will be.

I’m not sure plus/minus stats make sense with the Knicks of last year, especially since they usually had him as one of 1-2 legit NBA players on the floor. The Knicks’ second unit was a clown show.

My impression of Enes when he got to NY was he was a stat-chaser, who hated being away from the basket and didn’t try much on the defensive end. But last year his effort level was up and had some really excellent games against good players, including Embiid.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#411 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:44 am

JHTruth wrote:
threrf23 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

I don't think that's fair, they just went in a different direction for whatever reason, opting for a contract-year Whiteside.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#412 » by JHTruth » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:10 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
threrf23 wrote:

I don't think that's fair, they just went in a different direction for whatever reason, opting for a contract-year Whiteside.

Them and everyone else. 4th team in 4 years
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,664

Post#413 » by Green89 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:37 am

JHTruth wrote:
threrf23 wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Wrong. They were negotiating with him. Kanter said he was pressured and they needed a quick decision from him, so the talks broke down and he walked. It may not have been their intention to keep him, but saying they made zero effort is false.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#414 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:56 am

Smog wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
threrf23 wrote:

I’m not sure plus/minus stats make sense with the Knicks of last year, especially since they usually had him as one of 1-2 legit NBA players on the floor. The Knicks’ second unit was a clown show.

My impression of Enes when he got to NY was he was a stat-chaser, who hated being away from the basket and didn’t try much on the defensive end. But last year his effort level was up and had some really excellent games against good players, including Embiid.

The problem with Kanter is that he loves to rebound more than he likes to defend.

That's why so often he fails leave the paint or even contest lay-ups.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#415 » by JHTruth » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Smog wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

The problem with Kanter is that he loves to rebound more than he likes to defend.

That's why so often he fails leave the paint or even contest lay-ups.

In other words he just wants to pad his stats
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#416 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 pm

Kanter has mentioned that the C's have talked to him about his defense and presumed ability to defend better than he might have to date. It sounded as if he was prepared to do that. I suspect at this point Kanter has come to a couple of realizations: 1) if he wants to play on a winning team, he is at best a fringe starter who will ultimately likely come off the bench, and 2) if he wants time on a winning team, he probably has to become more of a two-way player.

Rebounds are valuable, but yeah, he's also got to defend better in the C's style and system.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#417 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 pm

Kanter "I’ve already met Jaylen; he’s an amazing guy. We were actually playing two-on-two; it was me and Jaylen Brown against Gordon Hayward and Tacko Fall. It was amazing! I’m definitely very excited to play with those guys."

This can't be right, Prokorov said Jaylen was a cancer and must be shipped out.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#418 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:22 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:Kanter "I’ve already met Jaylen; he’s an amazing guy. We were actually playing two-on-two; it was me and Jaylen Brown against Gordon Hayward and Tacko Fall. It was amazing! I’m definitely very excited to play with those guys."

This can't be right, Prokorov said Jaylen was a cancer and must be shipped out.

It's pretty clear Brown did some growing up as a team player last year. And this is great to hear. I like all of it: Jaylen and Gordon and Enes and Tacko all in on it.

Tacko is one smart dude and playing with this caliber of teammate is going to up his game in a hurry. Enes's easy-going, but all-in, personality IMO is going to help this made-over team gel in a good way.

Oh, and also a good sign for Gordon's play that he was teamed with Tacko.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#419 » by 24istheLAW » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:48 pm

From this Q&A: https://hoopshype.com/2019/07/28/enes-kanter-qa-im-trying-to-be-the-voice-for-all-of-those-innocent-people-who-dont-have-one/

What aspects of your game are you working on this offseason?

EK: Now, the league has changed a lot. There’s not much back-to-the-basket play anymore – that left – and that’s my game. Of course, with the league changing, everybody has to be able to make three-point shots now. That’s why my focus this summer is my three-point shooting. When I talked to Brad Stevens, he told me he wanted me to shoot threes. In the press conference, I was sitting next to Danny Ainge and he told me, “You know, that three-point line isn’t for decoration.” I was like, “Got it! Okay!”
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#420 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:53 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Them and everyone else. 4th team in 4 years

I guess, Kawhi has been on three teams in three years. PG, too. Jimmy Butler is on his fourth team in four years. Four for DeAndre Jordan. Players move around constantly. What's your point?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Celtics