OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Youtube, Vine, Music, Books, Gaming 

Post#741 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:48 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Not a big fan of superhero/scifi TV series (only ever watched the Marvel Punisher on Netflix)

But OK, it was a pretty impressive first episode. Had all the blood and and violence (and crudeness) I was after in a TV series

Well done

What kind of tv series do you like? I'm not really into superhero stuff that much either, though I did really like The Punisher and the last couple seasons of Daredevil.

The Boys is definitely original and different though.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#742 » by Qwigglez » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:17 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Not a big fan of superhero/scifi TV series (only ever watched the Marvel Punisher on Netflix)

But OK, it was a pretty impressive first episode. Had all the blood and and violence (and crudeness) I was after in a TV series

Well done

What kind of tv series do you like? I'm not really into superhero stuff that much either, though I did really like The Punisher and the last couple seasons of Daredevil.

I couldn’t even finish season 2 of The Punisher. First season was great though. I watched the first season of West World, that was pretty good but got somewhat lost not paying attention to the 2nd season.

I’m sure I recommended it before but if you haven’t watched Banshee yet on Amazon Prime I’d recommend that if you are into blood and violence.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#743 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Well done

I couldn’t even finish season 2 of The Punisher. First season was great though. I watched the first season of West World, that was pretty good but got somewhat lost not paying attention to the 2nd season.

I’m sure I recommended it before but if you haven’t watched Banshee yet on Amazon Prime I’d recommend that if you are into blood and violence.

I've watched Banshee and really liked it. The lead in that (Antony Starr) plays one of the super heroes in The Boys.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#744 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:31 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Well done

I like gritty shows which tend to be crime related. The Wire, Punisher, True Detective, even Game of Thrones. I'm generally not big on fantasy or sci-fi TV shows because it's always difficult to match the quality of effects as movies with TV budget.

The Boys definitely looks high budget
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#745 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Well done

The 1st season of West World wass really good. But I'm fully entranched in the Netflix generation now where if it's not all available, it's just becoming harder to get into. Watching a show over 6-10 weeks just isn't as exciting as it used to be. That's primarily the reason why I haven't watched S2 of Westworld yet
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#746 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:53 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Well done

I like gritty shows which tend to be crime related. The Wire, Punisher, True Detective, even Game of Thrones. I'm generally not big on fantasy or sci-fi TV shows because it's always difficult to match the quality of effects as movies with TV budget.

You might like Banshee...though season one isn't nearly one of the best seasons...2 and 3 are the best.

Fargo season 2 sounds like exactly the type of show you'd like though if you haven't seen it. It is probably one of my favorite seasons of tv. It's an anthology series too so you don't have to watch the first season to watch it.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#747 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:00 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

You might like Banshee...though season one isn't nearly one of the best seasons...2 and 3 are the best.

Fargo season 2 sounds like exactly the type of show you'd like though if you haven't seen it. It is probably one of my favorite seasons of tv. It's an anthology series too so you don't have to watch the first season to watch it.

I actually watched a fair bit of season 1 of Fargo but I think I got pretty busy at the time and couldn't finish it and never picked it up again. It was pretty exciting though in spite of the setting. But I'll definitely give it a go again once I'm done with the Boys.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#748 » by wheezy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:30 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I like gritty shows which tend to be crime related. The Wire, Punisher, True Detective, even Game of Thrones. I'm generally not big on fantasy or sci-fi TV shows because it's always difficult to match the quality of effects as movies with TV budget.

I actually watched a fair bit of season 1 of Fargo but I think I got pretty busy at the time and couldn't finish it and never picked it up again. It was pretty exciting though in spite of the setting. But I'll definitely give it a go again once I'm done with the Boys.

Fargo season 2 was up there with the best single seasons of tv ever. Check it out. That period was amazing with that, Leftovers season 2, and Mr Robot all on right around the same time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#749 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:52 am

wheezy wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Fargo season 2 was up there with the best single seasons of tv ever. Check it out. That period was amazing with that, Leftovers season 2, and Mr Robot all on right around the same time.

Is Leftovers season 3 good?
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#750 » by wheezy » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:47 am

bwgood77 wrote:
wheezy wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I actually watched a fair bit of season 1 of Fargo but I think I got pretty busy at the time and couldn't finish it and never picked it up again. It was pretty exciting though in spite of the setting. But I'll definitely give it a go again once I'm done with the Boys.

Is Leftovers season 3 good?

I loved it. Honestly I hated the first season so I really didn't expect to like the last two as much as I did... but damn it was so well written and acted.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#751 » by Damkac » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:23 pm

I don't like watching brutal scenes. The only truly brutal show I ever watched was the Phoenix Suns geting violently raped and murdered by other teams.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#752 » by MathiasPW » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:25 pm

lilfishi22 wrote: But I'll definitely give it a go again once I'm done with the Boys.

Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Post#753 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:58 pm

If people don't mind reading subtitles, I'll definitely add a recommendation for Dark (both seasons are great) on Netflix. Just be warned, this isn't a show where you can be on your phone while you're watching. You need to pay attention.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#754 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 pm

Jarlaxle0204 wrote:If people don't mind reading subtitles, I'll definitely add a recommendation for Dark (both seasons are great) on Netflix. Just be warned, this isn't a show where you can be on your phone while you're watching. You need to pay attention.

Yes, that's been among my favorites, if not my overall favorite, the last few years. But I agree. I rarely have trouble following anything, but I have to have an imdb page open to keep track of the characters
Spoiler:
throughout the different years they jumped between.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,662

Post#755 » by Jadoogar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:21 pm

How did people feel about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'm admittedly a QT fanboy and while i enjoyed a bunch of the scenes, i would rank it on the lower end of his filmography, around Django, above Hateful Eight but below everything else. I definitely want to rewatch it but the dialogue isn't as "flashy" and most of the film is pretty slow.

However this was an outstanding showcase for movie stars. Both Pitt and Dicaprio are incredible in this film, among their best performances for both guys.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#756 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:27 pm

Jadoogar wrote:How did people feel about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'm admittedly a QT fanboy and while i enjoyed a bunch of the scenes, i would rank it on the lower end of his filmography, around Django, above Hateful Eight but below everything else. I definitely want to rewatch it but the dialogue isn't as "flashy" and most of the film is pretty slow.

However this was an outstanding showcase for movie stars. Both Pitt and Dicaprio are incredible in this film, among their best performances for both guys.

I liked it, but I wouldn't rank it in my top 4 or 5 QT movies. It's probably in the running for 5-7 with Hateful 8 and Django Unchained..probably need to see those again viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1866771&p=77947362#p77947362
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#757 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:25 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote: But I'll definitely give it a go again once I'm done with the Boys.

MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#758 » by MathiasPW » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:20 pm

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,800

Post#759 » by Saberestar » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:55 pm

Not sure if this has been commented already, but I think that Wild Wild Country from Netflix is REALLY interesting.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#760 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:32 pm

Loved The Boys, just finished last night. It's definitely dark and messed up but really well made and entertaining.

Underrated good Amazon show is Patriot. Its a dry funny, weird spy show. I loved it but it might not be everyones cup of tea.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns