ImageImage

Potential Offseason Moves

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#461 » by Whole Truth » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:56 am

Minnesota trade - (Wiggins, Dieng) for (Wall, Howard, Houston FRP 2022 1-8, Memphis FRP 2022 1-4)

Washington trade - (Wall, Beal) for (Iggy, Dieng, Plumlee, Anderson, Shumpert, cash, GS FRP 2024 1-4/2026 unprotected)

Houston trade - (Shumpert 8m, 2022 FRP 1-8) for (Crowder 7.8m) - with under table agreement for Iggy buyout for vet min.

Memphis trade - (Iggy, Plumlee, Anderson, Howard, Crowder, Memphis 2022 1-4, GS 2024 1-4) for (Beal, Wiggins)

- Minnesota buyout Howard, net 2 2022 picks in swapping 2 bad contracts for Wall.

- Washington get cash considerations from Memphis to buyout Iggy with agreement he would sign with Houston for vet min.
- Washington receive 20m expiring, a young wing in Anderson, GS 2024 1-4/2026 unprotected pick in dumping Wall with Beal.

- Houston net Crowder & Iggy for less than 10m for their 2022 pick to bridge their cap/contending concerns

- Memphis give up 2 picks & take on Wiggins to land Beal. Consolidate roster with a 5-2 trade.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#462 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Read on Twitter
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#463 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:25 am

Whole Truth wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sounds like CP3 is going to be stuck in OKC for a while. People are talking about this guy and his contract like the bubonic plague.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#464 » by remi_222 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:55 pm

any updates on Jo Noah ??
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#465 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:26 pm

SD2042 wrote:Sounds like CP3 is going to be stuck in OKC for a while. People are talking about this guy and his contract like the bubonic plague.

There's people that think Houston lost the deal for Westbrook … I don't know why. OKC is having a hard time moving CP3 as a rebuilding team that can exercise patience, where Houston was in a pressure situation to revamp their roster around a 30yo Harden, after a known & or believed conflict between the 2, lowering the leverage further for Houston beyond his injuries & contract.

Actions speak louder than words & all the denial of bad blood was confirmed when Morey made everyone but Harden publicly available for trade.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#466 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:29 pm

remi_222 wrote:any updates on Jo Noah ??

None so far, I don't know why more teams haven't expressed interest. Noah looked like his old self last half season where at the least he'd be a good pickup for a contending team off the bench.

Personally, I'm hoping he returns to Memphis & they buyout Plumlee. I want his competitive nature & leadership to rub off on this young roster.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#467 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:36 pm

This article - https://www.econotimes.com/Bradley-Beal-Trade-Rumors-Should-the-Wizards-trade-shooting-guard-if-he-doesnt-sign-a-three-year-extension-1558915 & others question whether Beal not taking an extension would convince Wizards into moving him.

I think Washington stands only to lose value regardless if they can't field a team around the 26yo in the next couple season with Wall expected to miss all of next season tying up most of their cap.

I think Washington needs to be proactive because if Beal's value dips...

The reason why I think Memphis could be a potential suitor besides having the expiring's & assets, is that they have everything they need to be a good team but that wing scorer. They have a team ready made to put around Beal in development with a good mix of potential youth & young veterans 26/7 & under.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#468 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:Sounds like CP3 is going to be stuck in OKC for a while. People are talking about this guy and his contract like the bubonic plague.

There's people that think Houston lost the deal for Westbrook … I don't know why. OKC is having a hard time moving CP3 as a rebuilding team that can exercise patience, where Houston was in a pressure situation to revamp their roster around a 30yo Harden, after a known & or believed conflict between the 2, lowering the leverage further for Houston beyond his injuries & contract.

Actions speak louder than words & all the denial of bad blood was confirmed when Morey made everyone but Harden publicly available for trade.

Both guys are well known players for what they do. I can't help but be concern about the potential possibility that their egos will clash as they both are ball dominant players and need the ball a lot to define what they do on the hardwood. This in turn can affect their chemistry, friendship and the locker room if these events are to happen in the future.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#469 » by killmongrel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:06 am

Dream scenario:

After 1 season with Miami and realizing they're a perennial fringe playoff team, Butler wants out. Miami, wanting to develop all their young players and rebuild trade Jimmy Butler to the Warriors for DLo+fillers.

Steph/Klay/Butler/Green/Looney
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#470 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:20 pm

Lakers have kept a roster spot open in the event Iggy is bought out.

Houston has picked up Ben McLemore & have him pegged as their newest (cheap) 6rh man.

https://houseofhouston.com/2019/07/24/houston-rockets-rumors-ben-mclemore-team-sixth-man/

I'm thinking this move is related to the idea of trading Gordon.

(Capela, Gordon, Shumpert S&T, small filler or 2) for (Adams/Iggy)

Adams / Chandler
Tucker
Iggy / House
Harden / McLemore
Russ
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#471 » by Whole Truth » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:50 pm

ESPN's Zach Lowe and The Ringer's Bill Simmons recently discussed the likelihood of an Iguodala trade on Simmons' podcast, with all signs pointing to the Clippers as the most likely landing spot.

Clippers can't trade any pick, Harkless is expiring & will be a FA. So the only possible incentive, is one of their young players.

Robinson or Kabengele.

If either are a possibility, take Kabengele, waive Plumlee, sign Noah. Explore options for trading Crowder.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#472 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:26 pm

According to Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle, the Houston Rockets were actually targeting Iguodala before they acquired Russell Westbrook from the Oklahoma City Thunder.
"[GM Daryl Morey] was in talks throughout that week with the Grizzlies about a deal for Andre Iguodala, according to two individuals with knowledge of the Rockets' thinking, but Morey would not confirm any other trade talks," Feigen wrote.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2847541-nba-rumors-latest-on-andre-iguodala-trade-buzz-ryan-wests-lakers-departure

I find it odd that Memphis has yet to waive any of Hill, Plumlee or Howard … with their active roster overcrowded. Only Howard might have some trade value outside of an expiring or filler.

The fact Houston is claimed to have had interest in Iggy just before acquiring Westbrook & still have interest. I'm thinking the teams potentially involved are waiting for the 2 month trade restriction to be lifted on the mentioned players & Iggy for a potential consolidation trade.

Iggy's trade restriction is lifted sept 4th.

Houston picked up McLemore who could potentially fill Gordon's role off the bench as they claim to envision him in that role, where I doubt it was meant with intent to start Gordon with Russ & Harden.

I'm thinking Russ wants Adams in tow.

Iggy 17.1
Plumlee 12.5
Hill 12.7

Total - 42.3

Adams 25
Iggy 17.1

Total - 42.1

Capela 14.9
Gordon 14.1
Shumpert 12

Total - 41

It's interesting that Memphis buyout options that haven't been bought out, total the salary of Iggy & Adams for Houston.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#473 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Whole Truth wrote:ESPN's Zach Lowe and The Ringer's Bill Simmons recently discussed the likelihood of an Iguodala trade on Simmons' podcast, with all signs pointing to the Clippers as the most likely landing spot.

Clippers can't trade any pick, Harkless is expiring & will be a FA. So the only possible incentive, is one of their young players.

Robinson or Kabengele.

If either are a possibility, take Kabengele, waive Plumlee, sign Noah. Explore options for trading Crowder.

Whole Truth wrote:ESPN's Zach Lowe and The Ringer's Bill Simmons recently discussed the likelihood of an Iguodala trade on Simmons' podcast, with all signs pointing to the Clippers as the most likely landing spot.

Robinson or Kabengele.

It's likely this scenario would call for Harkless and Kabengele for Iggy here. With Kabengele, I would suggest he develops in G League while he makes his adjustments to the NBA.

As for Noah, I'm starting to have my doubts he will return to the franchise. Is Noah willing to participate in this? I'm thinking he's going to a contender here.

I would make a recommendation here: If I'm the Grizzlies, I would look into former Creighton center Justin Patton and sign him to a two way deal to see what he has. He's only 21 yrs old. Very athletic, shot blocker, fair perimeter shooter(needs to improvements) slasher to the basket. I do have concerns as his career didn't take off as plan due to have two surgeries to his foot. So health is a concern for him. That's why I suggest G League to see where does he stand in terms of development.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#474 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:10 pm

killmongrel wrote:Dream scenario:

After 1 season with Miami and realizing they're a perennial fringe playoff team, Butler wants out. Miami, wanting to develop all their young players and rebuild trade Jimmy Butler to the Warriors for DLo+fillers.

Outside of wanting his own team, I can't picture the thought that this newfound relationship between Butler and the Heat will go over well. The Heat are still full of mismatch pieces plus Butler in tow. The move for Chris Paul is in a coma for now, perhaps, dead for good. The whole thing with Bradley Beal is still in the air. I don't favor the Heat in the Beal sweepstakes. Butler's lack of patience and very demanding personality is likely to come to conflict as it did with the T'Wolves last season. If or when it does, the Heat will have no choice but to move on from Butler and place him with a solid squad as the T'Wolves had to when he was traded to Philly back in December of 2018.

We will see what happens.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#475 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:45 pm

SD2042 wrote:It's likely this scenario would call for Harkless and Kabengele for Iggy here. With Kabengele, I would suggest he develops in G League while he makes his adjustments to the NBA.

As for Noah, I'm starting to have my doubts he will return to the franchise. Is Noah willing to participate in this? I'm thinking he's going to a contender here.

I would make a recommendation here: If I'm the Grizzlies, I would look into former Creighton center Justin Patton and sign him to a two way deal to see what he has. He's only 21 yrs old. Very athletic, shot blocker, fair perimeter shooter(needs to improvements) slasher to the basket. I do have concerns as his career didn't take off as plan due to have two surgeries to his foot. So health is a concern for him. That's why I suggest G League to see where does he stand in terms of development.

A lot of people underestimate how situation can dictate player value. Rebuilding Memphis would do well to get Kabengele for an expiring Iggy & in turn contending Clippers would be very tough to beat with 3 of the best wing defenders in the league while they block/prevent a key piece going to their direct competition in Houston or LA.

Drafted 27th, I would have taken Kabengele top 15.

Problem is finding playing time for all the forwards on roster, especially if Memphis take back Harkless/Kabengele where they were going to waive Iggy in an already crowded situation, still have Plumlee/Howard. Memphis need a consolidation trade.

I find it odd that Noah hasn't signed with anyone yet considering how he played to end the season. Think it's possible he & Memphis are on the same page for a potential return, he was working out with 3J recently. It's possible IMO that Memphis have a consolidation trade in the works, finding it odd, they haven't waved any of Hill, Plumlee or Howard from an overcrowded roster.

They'd have to wait till sept 4th for the trade restriction to be lifted on these players.

I don't know much about Patton but I remember a few Raptor fans being high on him. That said, it would depend on whether or not Memphis land Kabengele in trade or not. In Jonas rookie season, Casey had Colangelo pass on Drummond for Ross because he didn't want to develop 2 centres at the same time. If Memphis manage to land Kabengele for Iggy, they would be developing 3 bigs, not considering Bruno getting mins potentially at PF. Good suggestion though.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#476 » by killmongrel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:42 pm

SD2042 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Dream scenario:

Outside of wanting his own team, I can't picture the thought that this newfound relationship between Butler and the Heat will go over well. The Heat are still full of mismatch pieces plus Butler in tow. The move for Chris Paul is in a coma for now, perhaps, dead for good. The whole thing with Bradley Beal is still in the air. I don't favor the Heat in the Beal sweepstakes. Butler's lack on patience and very demanding personality is likely to come to conflict as it did with the T'Wolves last season. If or when it does, the Heat will have no choice, but to move on from Butler and place him with a solid squad as the T'Wolves had to when he was traded to Philly back in December of 2018.

We will see what happens.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Biscayne Beast
Senior
And1: 594

Post#477 » by Biscayne Beast » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Do you guys plan to waive Dwight Howard anytime soon?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#478 » by SD2042 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Biscayne Beast wrote:Do you guys plan to waive Dwight Howard anytime soon?

Right now, it's unknown. Howard's is under a trade restriction until early September. It's possible that the Grizzlies are working on a trade to get something back for him. If they can't find a suitable trade for Howard, then he becomes a buyout candidate around that time.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#479 » by Whole Truth » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:40 pm

SD2042 wrote:

Right now, it's unknown. Howard's is under a trade restriction until early September. It's possible that the Grizzlies are working on a trade to get something back for him. If they can't find a suitable trade for Howard, then he becomes a buyout candidate around that time.

SD that 2 month restriction is for combining players that were recently traded, all of the buyout options (Iggy, Hill, Plumlee, Howard) can all be re-traded individually.

Memphis have 17 active players & just signed Guduric to make it 18. If they trade Iggy 1-1 they would have to buyout all of Hill, Plumlee & Howard which leads to the question, why they haven't already? or the question, if they have to buyout both Plumlee & Howard to cut the roster, who'd backup Jonas?. These questions, actions & non actions, point to a potential consolidation trade.

If Memphis are waiting for the 2 month restriction to expire. It will be for a multiplayer deal that will most likely consolidate into a big contract for at minimal a pick in return with OKC still looking to dump Adams & CP3, Minnesota Wiggins.. I believe this is why Houston was involved in talks with Memphis before trading Westbrook 1 for 1. Memphis can't yet combine players with Iggy ...

Houston has now recently signed McLemore to potentially fill Gordon's 6th man role cheaply. I doubt that pickup was with designs to start Gordon between Harden & Russ. Memphis potentially swapping Iggy for Gordon's lesser salary, still leaves them needing to cut 3 players, as mentioned & with the signing of Guduric to Brooks & Allen, I doubt it would be a direct swap. 3rd of 4th team involved.

Dave DuFour

@DaveDuFourNBA

Marko Gudurić is currently traveling to Memphis where he will sign his two year deal, pending a physical, per a source.

With this Guduric signing, if Memphis were to deal with Clippers, it would probably rule out Robinson.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#480 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

SD that 2 month restriction is for combining players that were recently traded, all of the buyout options (Iggy, Hill, Plumlee, Howard) can all be re-traded individually.

Memphis have 17 active players & just signed Guduric to make it 18. If they trade Iggy 1-1 they would have to buyout all of Hill, Plumlee & Howard which leads to the question, why they haven't already? or the question, if they have to buyout both Plumlee & Howard to cut the roster, who'd backup Jonas?. These questions, actions & non actions, point to a potential consolidation trade.

If Memphis are waiting for the 2 month restriction to expire. It will be for a multiplayer deal that will most likely consolidate into a big contract for at minimal a pick in return with OKC still looking to dump Adams & CP3, Minnesota Wiggins.. I believe this is why Houston was involved in talks with Memphis before trading Westbrook 1 for 1. Memphis can't yet combine players with Iggy ...

Houston has now recently signed McLemore to potentially fill Gordon's 6th man role cheaply. I doubt that pickup was with designs to start Gordon between Harden & Russ. Memphis potentially swapping Iggy for Gordon's lesser salary, still leaves them needing to cut 3 players, as mentioned & with the signing of Guduric to Brooks & Allen, I doubt it would be a direct swap. 3rd of 4th team involved.

Dave DuFour

@DaveDuFourNBA

Marko Gudurić is currently traveling to Memphis where he will sign his two year deal, pending a physical, per a source.

With this Guduric signing, if Memphis were to deal with Clippers, it would probably rule out Robinson.

I am with you on the rest except the Ben McLemore part. If Houston expects to replace Gordon's shooting prowess with BMac, then it's a terrible decision. BMac has issues of consistency. Plus he continues to go through the revolving door when it comes to coaches. I think 8 coaches in his six year career? That alone goes to instability towards his development and self-confidence. If a player goes through too many turnovers in coaches in their early years, you can imagine the instability that results from such cases like BMac. I can't call him an Eric Gordon replacement. If anything, I can't imagine the Rox needing to replace Gordon in the first place unless a better player than Gordon comes into the situation.

As for this Guduric kid they signed, he definitely slipped under the radar here. I guess with all the fury oof the NBA free agency and trades, the kid was missed on the news ticker. Never seem him play and outside of scouting reports, who to say what he really is capable of as he adjusts to the NBA style of play.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2019/07/01/nba-free-agency-marko-guduric-signs-memphis-grizzlies/1619053001/

Return to Memphis Grizzlies