Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Wizards sign Phil Booth to an Exhibit 10 Contract 

Post#1 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Phil Booth is from Baltimore, Maryland. After winning a national championship in his sophomore season, where he scored 20 points in the NCAA championship off the bench in 2016, he missed his junior season whereupon Villanova was unable to repeat. In 2018, Phil Booth return in more of supportive role, while he started, he was pretty much the 3rd guard on a team that included two NBA players Donte DiVincenzo and Jalen Brunson.

Last season, Phil Booth carried a large offensive burden averaging 18.6 ppg, 3.9 RPG, 3.8 APG with a 56.7 TS% as a 5th year senior. Villanova struggled out of the gate with a blowout loss to Michigan, Ivy Leage Penn who they hadn't loss to since the early 2000s, and Furman. Villanova salvaged their season largely thanks to Booth by winning the Big East regular season and Big East Tournament. Booth raised his fta per 40 by 3.3 to 5.8. He doesn't have exceptional quickness but is a very crafty player. While his assists were not significantly higher, it can be pointed out that Villanova was in a re-tooling year that lost 4 players to the NBA, and didn't feature any players that were 40% 3 point shooters (Villanova had 4 the previous season).

That being said, it was a down season for the Big East as Villanova was the only team to make it past the round of 64 whereupon they ended up getting blown out by Purdue thanks a prolific shooting by Edwards that perhaps cause his draft stock as well Paschall(who was drafted by the Warriors) to plummet. Booth signed with the Cavs summer league team whose head coach by John Beilein, who lost to Villanova in the NCAA champion when he was coaching at Michigan.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Re: Wizards sign Phil Booth to an Exhibit 10 Contract 

Post#2 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:13 pm

From the highlights, he plays under control.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#3 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:56 pm

Not for us yet, but for the GoGo he looks like a tough scrappy player who will make some moves that incite the crowd. I like that we add local flavor in Robinson and Booth to build a loud proud home crowd for the minor league team, but more, to give a heads up to local players that there is a way in to pro ball if you keep at ti and work your tail off. I've seen players back when Gil was running in Barry Farms who you wondered why they never found work doing the thing they do, but instead were like driving a truck somewhere. Even if they never made it to the next level still its a thing to have in your resume and memory bank when you look back at the end of it all and say I fought and gave it my shot. Got that close.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#4 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 am

Booth will be a good add to the Go Go, along with Robinson and Matthews, they should be fun to watch. I wonder if JT III was a player in this with his insight into the Big East.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#5 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:13 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Booth will be a good add to the Go Go, along with Robinson and Matthews, they should be fun to watch. I wonder if JT III was a player in this with his insight into the Big East.

Georgetown offered a scholarship to Phil Booth when JTIII was the coach. http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/126311/phil-booth
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#6 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:17 am

So like now we have another young guard.... ?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#7 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Booth will be a good add to the Go Go, along with Robinson and Matthews, they should be fun to watch. I wonder if JT III was a player in this with his insight into the Big East.

Georgetown offered a scholarship to Phil Booth when JTIII was the coach. http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/126311/phil-booth

I guess this could explain how they settled on Booth for the offer; I was real curious.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#8 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:07 pm

Booth has zero chance of being an NBA player. Somebody doing somebody a favor by giving a kid a chance to earn a living playing basketball. No more.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#9 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:37 pm

payitforward wrote:Booth has zero chance of being an NBA player. Somebody doing somebody a favor by giving a kid a chance to earn a living playing basketball. No more.

Probably so - though there's something to be said about playing the last 5 years with Nova. They may be trying to set an environment at Cap City to go along with what they're doing at CapitalOne Arena.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards