OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,631

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1361 » by StickeeFingaz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:08 am

jschligs wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:Played a ton of Overwatch on Xbox for the first ~4 months or so when it came out but then never really went back. Just bought it was PC, forgot how much fun it is.

If you're ever looking to play I do pretty much every night. Name is jschligs on Battle.net. I'm a Moira main but I can fill anything. One of my favorite games of all time.

Just started playing Doomfist in competitive, holy hell he is fun. All you do is cause mayhem. I can't wait to get some time behind Sigma too.

Cool, I'll add ya. For reference, I haven't played since Ana was the newest character so I'm really rusty.
#FreeChuckDiesel
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1362 » by StickeeFingaz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:
jschligs wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:Played a ton of Overwatch on Xbox for the first ~4 months or so when it came out but then never really went back. Just bought it was PC, forgot how much fun it is.

If you're ever looking to play I do pretty much every night. Name is jschligs on Battle.net. I'm a Moira main but I can fill anything. One of my favorite games of all time.

Just started playing Doomfist in competitive, holy hell he is fun. All you do is cause mayhem. I can't wait to get some time behind Sigma too.

Cool, I'll add ya. For reference, I haven't played since Ana was the newest character so I'm really rusty.

Yo, for some reason can't add you as a friend. Am I supposed to search for you're username with the string of numbers at the end?
#FreeChuckDiesel
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#1363 » by jschligs » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:
jschligs wrote:

Yo, for some reason can't add you as a friend. Am I supposed to search for you're username with the string of numbers at the end?

Add #1166 I think? I'm not entirely sure either but I think that'll work.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1364 » by StickeeFingaz » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:05 am

jschligs wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:

Add #1166 I think? I'm not entirely sure either but I think that'll work.

Just sent you a friend request. Prolly not going to play tonight but I'll be on this week.
#FreeChuckDiesel
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,750

Post#1365 » by tydett » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:32 am

Been playing a lot of TFT and Fire Emblem alternatively, with some Apex for the season pass sprinkled in. I'm in a weird place with games right now despite having a huge backlog I still want to get through.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,653

Post#1366 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:51 am

With the benefit of vacation (though also travel) today, I’ve played 12h of FE the past two days and it’s been beautiful. Well worth the wait. Three chapters in, I don’t think it’s nearly as Persona as it was sold to be by some sites. Influenced - no doubt. But it doesn’t dominate the game IMO.

It’s like Fire Emblem, Persona, and Harry Potter (THERE’RE THREE HOUSES AND AN OWL) had a baby. It’s lovely to me.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1367 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:58 pm

The Outer Worlds will be headed to Switch. I'm for sure getting it on PC, but still pretty cool to see a title like that headed to Switch. Not sure if it's day-one or will port later.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1368 » by jschligs » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:The Outer Worlds will be headed to Switch. I'm for sure getting it on PC, but still pretty cool to see a title like that headed to Switch. Not sure if it's day-one or will port later.

Color me surprised. I'm hoping to see more third-party AAA games come out on Switch. Call me crazy, but a CoD or something like that on Switch would be awesome IMO.

Like you though, I'll be getting these bigger games on PC. Btw, did you ever upgrade your PC? I'm gearing up to buy a new mobo+ryzen + video card here.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1369 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:34 pm

jschligs wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:The Outer Worlds will be headed to Switch. I'm for sure getting it on PC, but still pretty cool to see a title like that headed to Switch. Not sure if it's day-one or will port later.

Color me surprised. I'm hoping to see more third-party AAA games come out on Switch. Call me crazy, but a CoD or something like that on Switch would be awesome IMO.

Like you though, I'll be getting these bigger games on PC. Btw, did you ever upgrade your PC? I'm gearing up to buy a new mobo+ryzen + video card here.

I did not yet. It's not super high on my list, but is on my mind and ready to pull the trigger when it makes sense. You suggested waiting for the Sapphire 5700 XT to come out, which might be the best bang for the buck for GPU. Haven't checked-in on it recently.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1370 » by jschligs » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:18 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
jschligs wrote:

I did not yet. It's not super high on my list, but is on my mind and ready to pull the trigger when it makes sense. You suggested waiting for the Sapphire 5700 XT to come out, which might be the best bang for the buck for GPU. Haven't checked-in on it recently.

I'm glad you mentioned that card as further research shows they are having a good deal of issues on launch across the board. Not just Sapphire. As I said I'm looking to upgrade from my 1070 so I'll keep doing some research and let you know what I find. Definitely wait on that.

You're a good person to ask my next question. I have never played a Persona/Fire Emblem or many JRPGs in generally (except for Skies of Arcadia which I ****ing loved), would I be able to pick either Persona 5 or Fire Emblem up and get into it? I love RPGs in general, but I was watching FE reviews and it looked super technical/detail driven.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1371 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:56 pm

jschligs wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
jschligs wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned that card as further research shows they are having a good deal of issues on launch across the board. Not just Sapphire. As I said I'm looking to upgrade from my 1070 so I'll keep doing some research and let you know what I find. Definitely wait on that.

You're a good person to ask my next question. I have never played a Persona/Fire Emblem or many JRPGs in generally (except for Skies of Arcadia which I ****ing loved), would I be able to pick either Persona 5 or Fire Emblem up and get into it? I love RPGs in general, but I was watching FE reviews and it looked super technical/detail driven.

Cool, would definitely be interested in your feedback given your help on my original build :) I came across the negative feedback too when I searched on the card right after my post - it also made me stumble upon the RTX 2060 Super, which could be a good fit, but it also just came out and there isn't a lot of feedback yet.

Persona 5 and FE: Three Houses are both good entries in the sense that the franchises are completely stand alone - you don't need to have any prior knowledge to jump in. Persona 5 is a true JRPG, but has mechanics (social life/relationship building) which are not standard in RPGs of any kind. It's kind of a thing because of Persona.

Now, mind you that P5 was also my entry point into the series, so I've picked up on all of this as a result of P5. I think it's either something you like or don't. If it doesn't appeal to you, I'd avoid as it's a heavy amount of the game. If it does appeal to you, jump in, because it's literally one of the greatest RPGs of all time IMO. Some Lets Plays on YT might help you get a feel for the mechanics. It's in-depth to the point it would be hard to explain in text, but at the same time comes naturally when playing.

FE: Three Houses is not my first FE, and it's also not the first with some relationship building as part of the game. Outside of battle, it's a main tenet of the game. But for the first time (to my knowledge) it's done in a school setting, and some of the enhancements they've made make it feel similar to Persona. I see it as a cross between Persona and the Harry Potter universe. But the story isn't childish (neither is Persona's), regardless of the mechanics. I don't think there's anything so in-depth about FE that it would be hard to grasp. It's a tactics-based RPG, and it can be forgiving if you want it to be - you can play with permadeath off, and you can also rewind time in battles even with permadeath on.

I recommend both, though do recommend P5 more because of how highly I place it in my gaming pantheon. It's just...so good.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#1372 » by neiLz » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:24 pm

Anyone see that Ninja left twitch for 25 million to go to mixer? That is a **** ton of money. Gamers making as much as pro athletes now. Cool to see.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1373 » by crkone » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:34 pm

neiLz wrote:Anyone see that Ninja left twitch for 25 million to go to mixer? That is a **** ton of money. Gamers making as much as pro athletes now. Cool to see.
I can't see him holding an audience over there.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,459

Post#1374 » by Matches Malone » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:54 pm

crkone wrote:
neiLz wrote:Anyone see that Ninja left twitch for 25 million to go to mixer? That is a **** ton of money. Gamers making as much as pro athletes now. Cool to see.

It was a smart move. There's a ton of impressionable kids that still watch him and will move over to Mixer to watch him. On top of all his sponsorships, clothing, events and now this, he's more than set for life and won't have to worry about keeping a massive audience for major revenue. I also think more streamers are heading over to Mixer now because of how saturated Twitch has become. And in 5 years Mixer will have the same issues lol.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1375 » by crkone » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:05 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
crkone wrote:

It was a smart move. There's a ton of impressionable kids that still watch him and will move over to Mixer to watch him. On top of all his sponsorships, clothing, events and now this, he's more than set for life and won't have to worry about keeping a massive audience for major revenue. I also think more streamers are heading over to Mixer now because of how saturated Twitch has become. And in 5 years Mixer will have the same issues lol.

I'm still leary. I've seen enough people branch off to try to do their own thing somewhere else and it fails. Especially when you have to rely on your parents to whitelist a new app on your phone. :D Maybe Mixer will grow but right now the top stream has like 5K viewers while Twitch has over 50 streams with at least 5K.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,459

Post#1376 » by Matches Malone » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:17 pm

crkone wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
crkone wrote:I can't see him holding an audience over there.

I'm still leary. I've seen enough people branch off to try to do their own thing somewhere else and it fails. Especially when you have to rely on your parents to whitelist a new app on your phone. :D Maybe Mixer will grow but right now the top stream has like 5K viewers while Twitch has over 50 streams with at least 5K.

Twitch has only recently blown up in the last few years. I remember in it's infancy, streams were much like Mixer is now. Ninja has enough pull to get more people on the platform, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go after a few more big streamers like Shroud, TimTheTatMan, Dr. Disrespect etc etc.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,065

Post#1377 » by FrieAaron » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:26 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
crkone wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Twitch has only recently blown up in the last few years. I remember in it's infancy, streams were much like Mixer is now. Ninja has enough pull to get more people on the platform, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go after a few more big streamers like Shroud, TimTheTatMan, Dr. Disrespect etc etc.

It's common for competitors to offer huge money to switch platforms. I was watching MoonMoon yesterday and he was actually talking about this very thing. Before he became bigger he was still offered like $1M to go to some other platform, but he declined because they end up paying you far less afterwards when your number inevitably drop. Ninja is a bit of a unique situation. It will be interesting how many of his viewerbase will move with him and stay there.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1378 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:48 am

I basically suck at fighting games but I do enjoy watching some of these Evo matches.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#1379 » by Siefer » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:23 am

Just got back from Gen Con, and had a great time, as always. Ishtar, Everdell: Pearlbrook, Blood on the Clocktower, Quirky Circuits, and Men and Work were the standouts for my group. There was a ton of hype for Black Angel, but it looked a bit like a bunch of Euro mechanics stacked on top of each other just to add complexity.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1380 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:09 pm

I’ve been consumed by Fire Emblem. Send help.

I’m on chapter 7, not sure where other people are at. I feel like I’m super over leveled from doing battles and don’t have advanced seals to move along my kiddos.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."

Return to Milwaukee Bucks