Post#41 » by mkwest » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Best of the Best Per the Logo 

Post#42 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:43 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Re: Jerry “That’s Cute” West??? 

Post#43 » by mkwest » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:13 am

Full interview is 17 mins.

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#44 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:05 pm

He can play the "aw shucks" role all he wants.

Whether he said a lot or whether he said a nothing at all, Jerry West being in an organization [more than likely] makes a world of difference. It would have significant influence on me even if Trent, Mike, and Lawrence were doing the talking.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#45 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Jerry is too classy to hog all the credit, but we all know the deal.
Ranma
RealGM

Mannix Talks of West's Contributions 

Post#46 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Chris Mannix says that, based on what he's heard, Lawrence Frank, Michael Winger and Trent Redden were doing the nitty-gritty legwork but Jerry West voiced strong support for making the deal as the front office was debating the cost of making such a trade. Winger's previous association with the Thunder helped the lines of communication with Sam Presti.

Based on his conversations around the league, Mannix thinks the Thunder eventually were going to have to trade Paul George as the team had plateaued and not going anywhere. I've also heard elsewhere (Ryen Russillo?) that the Thunder's owner was already looking to deal Russell Westbrook given RW's adversarial handling of the media on top of the team's struggles to get over the hump, which is confirmed by Cowherd. It was just surprising that OKC actually found a taker for Westbrook even if they did have to take back CP3.

I'm sure the Clippers tried to convince Kawhi Leonard to trust them to get him another star partner under more ideal circumstances, but given his trust issues and sense of urgency to win, he forced their hand in not wanting to call his bluff.

Edit: Added Cowherd-Broussard video to support assertion of Westbrook's forceful handling of media in OKC.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

More Praise from Shaq 

Post#47 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:52 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Mr. Right Place at Right Time 

Post#48 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:05 am

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,126

Post#49 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:27 am

Read on Twitter

I wouldn't be surprised if the Clippers hire him.
Ranma
RealGM

Like the Lakers Prioritize the Draft 

Post#50 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:31 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#51 » by nickhx2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:55 am

i wonder if the clips are going to go after him
Ranma
RealGM

Ryan West with Late Realization That Lakers Don't Reward Loyalty Anymore 

Post#52 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:12 am

nickhx2 wrote:i wonder if the clips are going to go after him

I think that's the likely possibility. Not only would he be working with his father again, but it would also boost his appeal to other prospective employers down the line. Ryan West probably stayed on with the Lakers in part due to thinking he was in line for the general manager position. The fact that Pelinka is the favored figure among the hydra-like leadership composed of Jeanie, the Rambi and others probably showed the junior West that it was unlikely that he'd ever get the position. Ramona's tweet basically confirms as much.

Meanwhile, Ryan saw how both Michael Winger and Trent Redden were hot commodities for leadership positions with other teams by being a part of the first-rate Clippers organization, so I'm guessing he'll jump aboard now with such aspirations as he's very unlikely to get a GM job with what's left of this summer or even during the upcoming regular season.

R. West would be a welcomed addition to our talent evaluation staff, which I've been calling for. He would have been perfect for the Assistant GM role Mark Hughes currently occupies, but he'll probably have to settle for a role beneath that post and title.
Ranma
RealGM

Jordan Clarkson Appreciative of Ryan West Finding Him 

Post#53 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:00 am

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,802

Re: Jordan Clarkson Appreciative of Ryan West Finding Him 

Post#54 » by esqtvd » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:25 am

West is of course credited for finding Jordan Clarkson at #46

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Ranma
RealGM

Paving the Way for Son of the Logo? 

Post#55 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#56 » by NippySudz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:33 am

QRich3 wrote:I'm gonna leave this tweet here, cause I fully agree with it:
Read on Twitter

Jerry West is an important voice in the room everyone respects and listens to, but it irks me that everyone assumes everything good the Clippers do is his decision alone, just because he's the bigger name, when he's just a consultant that probably doesn't get too deep into day-to-day operations. The way we operate mostly resembles the way OKC's been doing stuff for years, and when you hear Winger speak about our future and stuff, you get a more clear sense on how they work than when Jerry speaks.

I'm sure Winger is the first to love being in the shadows and giving all the credit to Jerry, but it bothers me that everyone does that.

I love how this tweet and this argument is on the first page, but once they signed kawhi leonard, everyone was thanking jerry including balmer and frank lawrence. It's no doubt he deserves the credit even though he's not day to day. He's that 'piece' to a bridge to the championship. A guy that players respect as a player and as an executive.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#57 » by QRich3 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:15 pm

The argument in the first page is not that he hasn't done anything or doesn't deserve to be thanked though, it's that nothing that happens there is his decision alone, and probably not many things originate as an idea of his, so we shouldn't assume he deserves ALL the credit.

The same way he said he barely did anything when he was asked about bringing those guys in, it's the same way Frank brushes away the credit given to him and says Jerry, Ballmer, Winger and them deserve all the credit, that's the extra-humble unselfish culture they have there, publicly at least. But it's been reported it was strictly Frank and Winger who were talking to OKC about George, so Jerry's role in getting George was probably just saying 'aye' in the meeting where they decided to move forward. He was however in the meeting with Kawhi at Doc's house, so I guess you can credit him with that allure to get big FA's.

But the point is none of this is just one person's merit. Screaming LOGO! after every Clippers transaction is a bit out of place imo.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#58 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:00 pm

NippySudz wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I'm gonna leave this tweet here, cause I fully agree with it:
Read on Twitter

Jerry West is an important voice in the room everyone respects and listens to, but it irks me that everyone assumes everything good the Clippers do is his decision alone, just because he's the bigger name, when he's just a consultant that probably doesn't get too deep into day-to-day operations. The way we operate mostly resembles the way OKC's been doing stuff for years, and when you hear Winger speak about our future and stuff, you get a more clear sense on how they work than when Jerry speaks.

I'm sure Winger is the first to love being in the shadows and giving all the credit to Jerry, but it bothers me that everyone does that.

I love how this tweet and this argument is on the first page, but once they signed kawhi leonard, everyone was thanking jerry including balmer and frank lawrence. It's no doubt he deserves the credit even though he's not day to day. He's that 'piece' to a bridge to the championship. A guy that players respect as a player and as an executive.

I've been calling Jerry the backstop. A co-pilot, a navigator, a wingman. What a great relief to be able to double-check every proposed move with The Logo. It keeps you in gear rather than always hitting the brakes.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#59 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:01 pm

yep. that's one of my pet peeves as well. the entire front office contributes and seems to be doing so optimally, or at least pretty close to it. everyone has contributing value. i forget where it was mentioned but it was brought up that lawrence frank seems out of place. but his promotion to president might have been the most important exec move this team's ever made: it took away doc's immediate power over personnel and set up a front office structure for winger/redden/west to come in and fulfill their roles.

everyone matters in this FO. and even when west is completely retired, they'll keep going simply because they are structured for success.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#60 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:21 pm

nickhx2 wrote:yep. that's one of my pet peeves as well. the entire front office contributes and seems to be doing so optimally, or at least pretty close to it. everyone has contributing value. i forget where it was mentioned but it was brought up that lawrence frank seems out of place. but his promotion to president might have been the most important exec move this team's ever made: it took away doc's immediate power over personnel and set up a front office structure for winger/redden/west to come in and fulfill their roles.

everyone matters in this FO. and even when west is completely retired, they'll keep going simply because they are structured for success.

Lawrence Frank was already in charge of personnel. Ballmer observed the chain of command and would always approach Doc first when it was really Frank he wanted to talk to. Ballmer says he merely eliminated a superfluous level of management. Doc's feelings were hurt about losing the title and ostensibly getting the final word, but on a practical level not much changed. He had already replaced himself with Frank.

As PoBO, Doc SHOULD be credited for leading the total restructuring of the org from scouting to sports medicine to even hiring a team chef starting in mid-2016 but I don't feel like looking the articles up again. He was a good president [CEO] although not a GM [COO], where his only success was in convincing retreads to come and play for us for cheap.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers