Read on Twitter
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,146

Re: Stroman to Mets for Kay, Woods Richardson 

Post#382 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:29 am

Read on Twitter

Hoopstarr wrote:
guvernator wrote:Stroman calling Shatkins racist... And people wonder why Atkins didn't want this loudmouth around the young guys.

Read on Twitter

Keith Law is an idiot

Wow I can't believe he played the race card.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#383 » by BigLeagueChew » Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:32 am

Saw that yesterday, how is he employed.
Myth11111
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#384 » by Myth11111 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:01 am

Terrible start again tonight. I have to admit that I think Kay was a waste of a pick up. Hopefully Richardson is as good as management thinks he is.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#385 » by vaff87 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:05 am

Myth11111 wrote:Terrible start again tonight. I have to admit that I think Kay was a waste of a pick up. Hopefully Richardson is as good as management thinks he is.

I think a lot of it is related to the new ball. Hopefully he can figure things out.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#386 » by SharoneWright » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:13 am

Well, the new ball portends to be the future ball. Let’s hope he can get it together.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#387 » by polo007 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:23 am

Read on Twitter
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#388 » by ratul » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:27 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hoopstarr wrote:
guvernator wrote:Stroman calling Shatkins racist... And people wonder why Atkins didn't want this loudmouth around the young guys.

Read on Twitter

Keith Law is an idiot

What the eff is this? Def sounds like a dog whistle tactic. Incredible we have these tone deaf execs in our front office. What a huge piece of trash
ratul
General Manager

Post#389 » by ratul » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:28 am

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well this clustereff is going well.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,421

Post#390 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:32 am

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Any GM who publicly starts trying to back their own moves is a tool and doing it wrong.

In management of sports, as leiweke says, you always under deliver in the pressers and over deliver in the games.

Atkins ur a rook
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#391 » by Brinbe » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:17 am

i think they def have a type and it's clear they didn't value stroman's personality. maybe that stupid ish works in cleveland, but not really here in toronto. it's pretty clear as day most people would take stroman over these two morons any day. i don't even know how people are getting at keith law when stroman himself backs him up. maybe it's more noticeable when you're a POC and you're seeing stuff like them shed stroman while giving a mediocre loser grichuk a stupid extension and desperately trying to make him a face of the franchise. that ish isn't hard to see y'all...

and real talk, the only people complaining about the race card or race baiting or politicizing are usually easily offended privileged white people. so don't be those people. or maybe we have more don cherry's on this board then i thought.

but it's clear that shatkins are not a fit for this market at all and all they've done is alienate a large section of the fanbase. i know they have their supporters, because even an idiot like trump and ford have supporters too, but i think most people nowsee what some of us have seen for years now. these guys stink. we know a colangelo/jfj when we they're in our midst, we've lived through it.

maybe rogers just wants some fall guys as they drastically shed payroll and control costs and they've found their guys. but if the goal is to win and build contenders against the yanks/sox/rays, these guys ain't it..
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#392 » by Schad » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:34 am

I wouldn't place a great deal of stock in Stroman liking it. Stroman has always had a permanent chip on his shoulder. Seriously, here's his high school coach:

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/07/30/new-york-mets-rhp-marcus-stromans-hs-coach-he-always-had-a-chip-on-his-shoulder/

“He always had a chip on his shoulder,” Frascogna said. “He definitely used whatever negativity there was out there to his advantage, whether it was actual negativity or imagined negativity, he would use it.

It's how Stroman motivates himself. However, I'd imagine that it could also make him a fairly exhausting person to deal with. He feuded with the media. He got into heated arguments on the mound with multiple managers. He threw shots at management over Twitter because they didn't inform him that Ryan Goins was being traded (teams basically never tell other players first; one member of the Reds found out about the Bauer trade last night because fans in the stands told him). He suggested that losing an arbitration case would affect whether he wanted to stay with the team.

Stroman's a great pitcher, and in the main seems to be a good dude, but he's also just a bit extra. That's part of how he has propelled himself to where he is, but I don't think it's shocking that there are some sighs of relief given that he has spent months now clicking the like button on tweets about him being traded.

Regarding Grichuk/Stroman, it's pure economics. Stroman's going to cost a lot more than Grichuk, and over a longer period of time, which means more risk. And, I mean, he should! He's a better player. But an extension for Stroman would take you deeper into his 30s than Grichuk's, and pay at full market value, because Stroman's likely at peak, whereas Grichuk was a risk/reward deal where if he translated his power into consistent results, we'd get a bargain (with the risk that he'd have a year-long slump as he is now, because he's the single most inconsistent player in baseball).

No one's making Grichuk the face of anything, though. $10m a year is "we hope you can be a little better than average" money, not "you're going to lead us to glory" cash. The face of our franchise is a Canadian-born, Dominican-raised kid who doesn't feel comfortable speaking English in public. Minus the Canadian-born part, the best players on a great many franchises have similar backgrounds. You aren't going anywhere in the year 2019 by fixating on only 60% of the talent pool (the same applied in the 1950s, for that matter; being the last team to integrate really didn't help the Red Sox).

One other thing: the prospect that they wanted so badly in the Stroman trade, and may have taken a seemingly-light package because they had targeted him going back to the 2018 draft? Simeon Woods-Richardson is African-American, and known for being ultra-competitive (and often downright demonstrative) on the mound.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#393 » by vaff87 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:43 am

Lmao, “trying to make Grichuk the face of the franchise” :lol:
ratul
General Manager

Post#394 » by ratul » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:44 am

If they traded stroman because he wouldn’t fall in line partly because he is black, then shatkins are in the wrong city. This may fly in alameda county but Toronto is freaking diverse, that ish is just very disappointing. These effers really need to go. I hope the end of season brings us this present.
Brinbe
RealGM

Post#395 » by Brinbe » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:29 am

vaff87 wrote:Lmao, “trying to make Grichuk the face of the franchise” :lol:

:noway: :nonono:

definitely couldn't break the bank for marcus though!

oh right...
Brinbe
RealGM

Post#396 » by Brinbe » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:38 am

Read on Twitter

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#397 » by Schad » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:55 am

Brinbe wrote:
vaff87 wrote:Lmao, “trying to make Grichuk the face of the franchise” :lol:

They have also had Gurriel, Stroman and Sanchez giveaways.

C'mon, man. There's a difference between giving Stroman 5 years and probably $120m covering his ages 30-34 seasons versus giving Grichuk 5 years, $54m covering his ages 28-32 years. Grichuk's AAV is nothing in the modern day; it's less than we were paying Marco Estrada or Kendrys Morales or JA Happ. It just looks like a sizable wedge because we've blown up the roster and Grichuk has had a bad season.

And yeah: years of team control are crazy-important. Cleveland just traded one of their best players, in a pennant race, because they were able to get controllable players in return. It's how you build long-term competitive teams, whether you're the Jays or Rays or Dodgers.
**** your asterisk.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#398 » by fbalmeida » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:56 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hoopstarr wrote:

Read on Twitter

Keith Law is an idiot

Chalk up another one in the race to find ever more obscure forms of identity-based transgression. This one is actually original.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#399 » by fbalmeida » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:58 am

Myth11111 wrote:Terrible start again tonight. I have to admit that I think Kay was a waste of a pick up. Hopefully Richardson is as good as management thinks he is.

Shatkins "loves" Richardson and Fisher. If they don't make it, they should be held accountable. But somehow, at this rate, I don't believe they'll be employed in Toronto long enough for that.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#400 » by fbalmeida » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:03 am

Brinbe wrote:
Read on Twitter

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Control... control... you MUST learn control!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays