Re: Jeremy Castleberry with Clippers Now 

Post#1682 » by NippySudz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:20 am

Oakville_Raptor wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

fully expected that castleberry would follow leonard around.

Still don't like that either him or fvv cursed out pop in the championship parade.

I’m convinced all Castleberry does is cheer the team on the bench during games and passes the players the ball during practice. He’s only part of the Clippers coaching staff because he’s a close friend of Kawhi and makes money wherever he goes :lol:

I can't help but to get bad vibes. Though, its probably not the case, it looks like he's following him around like a lap dog. I mean, he even went to the nickoledeon kids awards. Like come on dude. :lol:
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1683 » by esqtvd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 am

NippySudz wrote:
Oakville_Raptor wrote:
NippySudz wrote:fully expected that castleberry would follow leonard around.

Still don't like that either him or fvv cursed out pop in the championship parade.

I’m convinced all Castleberry does is cheer the team on the bench during games and passes the players the ball during practice. He’s only part of the Clippers coaching staff because he’s a close friend of Kawhi and makes money wherever he goes :lol:

I can't help but to get bad vibes. Though, its probably not the case, it looks like he's following him around like a lap dog. I mean, he even went to the nickoledeon kids awards. Like come on dude. :lol:

I hearya but Raptors won a championship with Castleberry as a Kawhi hanger-on.

A difference that makes no difference is no difference.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#1684 » by NippySudz » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 am

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Oakville_Raptor wrote:

I agree with you, but he just rubs me the wrong way. This guy got hired with NO job experience because of Kawhi to be a Spurs Video Coordinator.

Erik Spoelstra - Who's dad was in the Golden State front office - was hired to be a video coordinator for the miami heat. Erik Spoelstra paid his dues.

Castleberry on the other hand? Elects that he's above that. Hired to be a video coordinator, follows kawhi than says F pop during the raptors parade. A guy that had more than him growing up [Erik] Paid dues where this guy felt like he didn't need to do it.

Popovich probably has the deepest coaching tree in the NBA. It's not wise to throw him under the bus. He probably would have achieved his dream of being a head coach in the nba through pop if he'd just be willing to pay his dues.

Mil - Budenholzer
GS- Steve Kerr/Budenholzer/Ron Adams
New Orleans -James Barrego
Nets -(GM)- Sean Marks
Phi - Brett Brown

Notable Former Spurs assistant coaches - PJ carlismo, Tom Thimbadeau

This castleberry guy just shot himself in the foot.

I hear ya, a hanger-on that doesn't make a difference isn't a difference, but it just rubs me the wrong way. I really hope the perception of him isn't the actual guy.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1685 » by esqtvd » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:47 am

NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

I agree with you, but he just rubs me the wrong way. This guy got hired with NO job experience because of Kawhi to be a Spurs Video Coordinator.

Erik Spoelstra - Who's dad was in the Golden State front office - was hired to be a video coordinator for the miami heat. Erik Spoelstra paid his dues.

Castleberry on the other hand? Elects that he's above that. Hired to be a video coordinator, follows kawhi than says F pop during the raptors parade. A guy that had more than him growing up [Erik] Paid dues where this guy felt like he didn't need to do it.

Popovich probably has the deepest coaching tree in the NBA. It's not wise to throw him under the bus. He probably would have achieved his dream of being a head coach in the nba through pop if he'd just be willing to pay his dues.

Mil - Budenholzer
Nets -(GM)- Sean Marks
Phi - Brett Brown

I hear ya, a hanger-on that doesn't make a difference isn't a difference, but it just rubs me the wrong way. I really hope the perception of him isn't the actual guy.

Austin Rivers Part Deux LOL. But I'd say there was no way Castleberry could have stayed in Toronto after Kawhi broke their hearts. Kawhi had to take care of his boy here @LAC.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-jeremy-castleberry-toronto-coaching-nba-20181228-story.html

Castleberry shrugs. He knows what people think, that it was (take your pick) a shameless ploy to keep Leonard in free agency next summer or the latest example of hanging onto his famous friend’s coattails – at SDSU, then San Antonio, now Toronto.

It hasn’t been quite that linear. Castleberry, now 27, remained at SDSU for two years after Leonard left early for the NBA Draft, running the Aztecs’ scout team and finishing his degree in sociology. He then spent two seasons with the G League’s Austin Spurs before moving to San Antonio.

“For the last five years, I woke up at 6 in the morning,” Castleberry says. “And for five years, I left at the earliest at 6:30 p.m. I worked long hours. I know my work will speak for itself. You can only go so far sitting around, doing nothing. People know I’m going to work hard, I’m going to do my job, I’m going to excel at what I’m doing.”

Leonard’s take: “Having a familiar face helps out a lot, in the down and up times for me. But he does a great job. He’s not one of those guys just hanging around. He never asks me for anything. He’s his own man. He wants to be a head coach one day, so he’s working just as hard as I am (as a player) in the gym, watching film, creating his own plays, watching schemes.

“It’s going to work out for him, I feel like.”

Perhaps the biggest compliment is that the Spurs, after trading Leonard, told Castleberry he was welcome to stay. The Raptors’ opportunity amounted to a promotion because he no longer is in the video room cutting tape and exclusively works with players.

“When we hired him, I did it like it would with anyone else,” Raptors head coach Nick Nurse says. “I talked to people who knew him, talked to a lot of coaches who he worked for, met him several times, had several long phone calls with him, and he graded out 100 percent on it all. Everybody was positive on him.

“The first thing they say is: ‘It’s not that coattail thing. He works. He’s paying his dues, he loves the game, he’ll work around the clock.’ And he does. He hustles, he works, he’s very smart, he’s very enjoyable to be around. It hasn’t been an extra hire, it’s been a great hire.”
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: The Board Man Cometh!! Kawhi Leonard Signs 3 Year (2+1), $103 Million Deal 

Post#1686 » by QRich3 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:34 pm

I don't know the dude or what he does exactly, but I wouldn't jump into conclusions just because he follows Kawhi around or cause he cursed Pop when drunk and celebrating. He could still be great at his job, or the complete opposite. People love to fake outrage over stuff like this without knowing if there's an actual reason to be outraged or not.

At least with Austin we could all watch him play, with this guy we're just assuming.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#1687 » by NippySudz » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:22 pm

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Mil - Budenholzer
Nets -(GM)- Sean Marks
Phi - Brett Brown

Austin Rivers Part Deux LOL. But I'd say there was no way Castleberry could have stayed in Toronto after Kawhi broke their hearts. Kawhi had to take care of his boy here @LAC.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-jeremy-castleberry-toronto-coaching-nba-20181228-story.html

Castleberry shrugs. He knows what people think, that it was (take your pick) a shameless ploy to keep Leonard in free agency next summer or the latest example of hanging onto his famous friend’s coattails – at SDSU, then San Antonio, now Toronto.

It hasn’t been quite that linear. Castleberry, now 27, remained at SDSU for two years after Leonard left early for the NBA Draft, running the Aztecs’ scout team and finishing his degree in sociology. He then spent two seasons with the G League’s Austin Spurs before moving to San Antonio.

“For the last five years, I woke up at 6 in the morning,” Castleberry says. “And for five years, I left at the earliest at 6:30 p.m. I worked long hours. I know my work will speak for itself. You can only go so far sitting around, doing nothing. People know I’m going to work hard, I’m going to do my job, I’m going to excel at what I’m doing.”

Leonard’s take: “Having a familiar face helps out a lot, in the down and up times for me. But he does a great job. He’s not one of those guys just hanging around. He never asks me for anything. He’s his own man. He wants to be a head coach one day, so he’s working just as hard as I am (as a player) in the gym, watching film, creating his own plays, watching schemes.

Perhaps the biggest compliment is that the Spurs, after trading Leonard, told Castleberry he was welcome to stay. The Raptors’ opportunity amounted to a promotion because he no longer is in the video room cutting tape and exclusively works with players.

“When we hired him, I did it like it would with anyone else,” Raptors head coach Nick Nurse says. “I talked to people who knew him, talked to a lot of coaches who he worked for, met him several times, had several long phone calls with him, and he graded out 100 percent on it all. Everybody was positive on him.

“The first thing they say is: ‘It’s not that coattail thing. He works. He’s paying his dues, he loves the game, he’ll work around the clock.’ And he does. He hustles, he works, he’s very smart, he’s very enjoyable to be around. It hasn’t been an extra hire, it’s been a great hire.”

I don't expect him to say, Yeah, I cut the line! He hasn't paid his dues to be considered an NBA coach. I have no doubt he's working, but when you look at coaches like nick nurse and coaches like spoelstra, some people been paying dues for a lot longer than this dude. So he's just talking noise.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#1688 » by NippySudz » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 pm

QRich3 wrote:I don't know the dude or what he does exactly, but I wouldn't jump into conclusions just because he follows Kawhi around or cause he cursed Pop when drunk and celebrating. He could still be great at his job, or the complete opposite. People love to fake outrage over stuff like this without knowing if there's an actual reason to be outraged or not.

At least with Austin we could all watch him play, with this guy we're just assuming.

There's no outrage here. It's just a personal opinion and I said I hope the perception isn't the reality.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1689 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:54 am

NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I agree with you, but he just rubs me the wrong way. This guy got hired with NO job experience because of Kawhi to be a Spurs Video Coordinator.

Mil - Budenholzer
Nets -(GM)- Sean Marks
Phi - Brett Brown

I don't expect him to say, Yeah, I cut the line! He hasn't paid his dues to be considered an NBA coach. I have no doubt he's working, but when you look at coaches like nick nurse and coaches like spoelstra, some people been paying dues for a lot longer than this dude. So he's just talking noise.

I'm just gonna say that in my experience, just about all of us get a break somewhere because we know somebody. Or our father did. Or a friend did. Or I went to school with a guy who opened a door for me.

Hell, that's why they say you should go to Harvard or Yale. Not for the education, but to get into the club. And look who runs the country.

That said, you gotta do something with the opportunity. If Castleberry comes in and dogs it, he's out. Somebody can open doors for you but in the end you gotta walk through it and pull up your own chair. At least he's making a show of it--and like Baby Doc, IMO a go of it as well.

Hangers-on don't get up at 6 in the morning. Maybe Castleberry's never going to amount to much but he's not embarrassing himself or Kawhi either.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/f-k-pop-who-was-cursing-out-spurs-coach-during-raptors-parade/

well, Pop never promoted Castleberry past video work. The Raptors let Castleberry actually work with the players. So it would have been as much props for Nick Nurse as a dis of Popovich.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#1690 » by QRich3 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:34 am

NippySudz wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I don't know the dude or what he does exactly, but I wouldn't jump into conclusions just because he follows Kawhi around or cause he cursed Pop when drunk and celebrating. He could still be great at his job, or the complete opposite. People love to fake outrage over stuff like this without knowing if there's an actual reason to be outraged or not.

There's no outrage here. It's just a personal opinion and I said I hope the perception isn't the reality.

Yeah, didn't mean to point fingers at you there, my bad if it came across that way. More of a general comment about outrage culture, since esqtvd mentioned Austin and there was more than enough fake outrage about all the nepotism there.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#1691 » by NippySudz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 am

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I'm just gonna say that in my experience, just about all of us get a break somewhere because we know somebody. Or our father did. Or a friend did. Or I went to school with a guy who opened a door for me.

Hell, that's why they say you should go to Harvard or Yale. Not for the education, but to get into the club. And look who runs the country.

That said, you gotta do something with the opportunity. If Castleberry comes in and dogs it, he's out. Somebody can open doors for you but in the end you gotta walk through it and pull up your own chair. At least he's making a show of it--and like Baby Doc, IMO a go of it as well.

Hangers-on don't get up at 6 in the morning. Maybe Castleberry's never going to amount to much but he's not embarrassing himself or Kawhi either.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/f-k-pop-who-was-cursing-out-spurs-coach-during-raptors-parade/

well, Pop never promoted Castleberry past video work. The Raptors let Castleberry actually work with the players. So it would have been as much props for Nick Nurse as a dis of Popovich.

I get that. Networking is extremely important. It opens up doors. However, not being grateful for the opportunity and saying eff you to a elite coach will probably close some doors for you. Honestly, when's the last time you heard a coach speak bad about a coach in that manner? really never. So you just hope that it was a mistake, he apologized behind close doors and people don't hold that against him.

But pop is very connected to a 3rd of the league if not more. San antonio coaches get poached more than any other team coaches. It seems like every year someone is leaving out of san antonio to get a head coaching job.

I would understand why pop wouldn't promote him. He didn't feel like he paid his dues. Like I said, there have been people in this league way longer than Jeremy Castleberry that are still waiting to get their shot. He gave him his first opportunity via kawhi to get a job in this league.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#1692 » by illastrate » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:21 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Clippers' Pitch and Show of Faith 

Post#1693 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 1, 2019 11:10 am

Jovan Buha & Sam Amick (with Shams Charania contributing), TheAthletic.com (7/23/19)

‘We Have a Deal Ready. Are You In?’ Inside the Clippers’ Pursuit of Kawhi Leonard and Paul George
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1694 » by esqtvd » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#1695 » by NippySudz » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:32 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Read on Twitter

I bet there are a lot of fans that think the clippers have to do with barbers because of the colors and the name, when really it has to do with boats lol
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#1696 » by TheNewEra » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:58 pm

illastrate wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol:
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#1697 » by mttwlsn16 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ranma
RealGM

Late to News or Official Announcement Coming? 

Post#1698 » by Ranma » Fri Aug 9, 2019 7:47 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Board Man Got Paid, Now Giving Back to Hometown Community 

Post#1699 » by Ranma » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:18 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Ranma
RealGM

Kawhi, Community & the Kids 

Post#1700 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:33 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers