ImageImage

NBA Luxury Tax Tiers and the Bucks

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

fan230
Analyst
And1: 1,295

Re: NBA Luxury Tax Tiers and the Bucks 

Post#61 » by fan230 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Due to the cap and bird’s right situation, we could not get a better player than Khris this year.

To get Khris, we had to pay high money.

Once we paid Khris, keeping Brogdon for whom we had Bird’s right also, would have led to luxury and later repeater tax etc.

We clearly needed the unique skills of Lopez. Bledsoe was signed much earlier.

So not signing Brogdon was almost inevitable. The loss is there of course, but it has been lessened by all the other signings that Horst did.

I think Horst did a great job of maximizing talent under a cost constraint scenario.

Hill, RoLo, Korver, Wes are very good signings. Plus getting picks from Indiana.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,915

Post#62 » by Brewhoopfan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:11 pm

My understanding is that at least part of the luxury taxes collected are redistributed to teams NOT paying the tax. From a financial standpoint, the tax is then a double whammy. I don't think it end up being more than a few million per team, so I'm not sure it really matters.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,293

Post#63 » by KidA24 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:07 pm

emunney wrote:And let me know when somebody pays a quarter billion just in tax.

If KD resigned with GSW, they would've been at a 180 Million tax payment.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#64 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:01 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:My understanding is that at least part of the luxury taxes collected are redistributed to teams NOT paying the tax. From a financial standpoint, the tax is then a double whammy. I don't think it end up being more than a few million per team, so I'm not sure it really matters.
This is correct. It has been 8-11m per tram in recent years.

Lol at folks saying "billionaires" should be paying 100m a year for Brogs in years 3 and 4 when there is a really good chance his feet stop working by then.

Sent from my VS995 using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#65 » by Chapter29 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:23 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
vegaspacker wrote:Wes Matthews, Korver, a 1st, 2 seconds, and Rolo kinda makes up for Malcolm.

Need to add George Hill to your list above. The Albert Nahmad tweet about keeping Brogdon, specifically didn't include Hill and his $9mm, hence George would have been pitched over the side.

So I'd view it as Brogdon dealt for Hill, 2020 Indy first, two Indy second rounders. Add in them signing Korver, Wes Matthews and Rolo, and you can argue that they actually now have a better and deeper team than last year.

Yep. Easily. Letting Brogdon go and doing what we did was very much the correct decision. We are a better team because of it.
Giannis
is
UponUs
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#66 » by 4xBuck » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:52 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
vegaspacker wrote:Wes Matthews, Korver, a 1st, 2 seconds, and Rolo kinda makes up for Malcolm.

Need to add George Hill to your list above.

:nod:
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#67 » by PANDEMONEUM » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:22 pm

was there not a way to stay out of LuxTax and keep Brogdon?

instead of extending Leuer,
trade him for someone with less $/worth,
then trade that person for a heavily protected future 2nd,
probably never to convey.
and wer out of 9$m owed.

Ersans 7$m, traded for future 2nds.

dont sign Robin.

G 26 Midds 32
brog 20 bled 16
brolo 12 hill 10
dj 3 divi 3
kk 2.5 wes 2.5
pat 2 brown 2
bender
mason league min 1.5
cam
hawes 2 (still counts right?)
sanders ?

would have been close.

could have gone after a big instead of both kk and wes.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#68 » by M-C-G » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:35 pm

This roster is better overall than last year and under the tax. Not too mention we seemed okay without Brogdon. Is this off season what I would have done? No, but I am pretty happy with how the net result turned out.

Kick that tax can down the road for Giannis next contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,949

Post#69 » by soxperry » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:50 pm

PANDEMONEUM wrote:was there not a way to stay out of LuxTax and keep Brogdon?

instead of extending Leuer,
trade him for someone with less $/worth,

I'm going to stop you right there.. I'm assuming they went to great length to try and make something like that happen with Leuer or they would have just waived and stretched him outright. I think moving him to alleviate cap space would have cost another asset and we were left with what we were left with.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#70 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:50 am

I would feel better if Horst didn't talk a big game about paying the luxury tax and explained this away about positioning away from the repeater tax. I recognize this board is ... Well ... Unique.... And probably wouldn't be good or with the general public.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#71 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:10 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
emunney wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:Will the owners still be cheap when they are paying the repeater tax while Giannis is making nearly $60 million per year?

You mean like in 10 years?

Specifically, in 2025.

My point being the owners have set themselves up to pay one of the highest payrolls in the league once Giannis' supermax kicks in. All this talk about them being cheap will seem silly at that time.

I'd bet a good sum that by then they will have sold off and moved on with a few hundred $M of capital gains + a healthy real estate portfolio in MKE CBD.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#72 » by MAC1987 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 11:57 am

What's the situation with Ersan? Is he still a consideration going forward?

We added a ton of depth at bargain barrel prices. Plus we have more mobility to make the right potential move for a quasi star. The post all star game transactions is where the most ridiculous moves happen.

If Rolo, Korver or Matthews prove to be reliable options at the 3pt line nice. That's gravy. If Hill has an epiphany or one of the three young cats... DDV, Wilson, or Brown surprises us we got bait.

Also, I think Midds salary although bloviating could be a matching piece for a geeky good potential move. So many options are here, Giannis has the keys to the vehicle. And.... now we have a few picks to tender this thing out.

Horst... you can wait and see the opportunity that befalls you. The more I think about it, the more I want this level 74 mage do his magi stuff.

You summed it up really well. We have flexibility going forward.

If I remember correctly not many people here wanted to give Malcolm 20+ million dollars throughout the season. Brogdon was to risky to give 20+ AND go into the tax.

I think we are in a better position when everything is considered, cap, flexibility, depth, veterans, Giannis's future contract, etc.

Is Brogdon really worth all that? I do not think so.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks