Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Re: General 76ers Thread and Forum Orientation 

Post#201 » by youngcrev » Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:09 pm

Lou_23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let's see how long they take to fill that one...
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,521

Post#202 » by 76ciology » Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:19 am

So Butler plays that roco role. He starts for us and plays with Jj and Biid on the 2nd unit.

That said, i think its best for him to play PG on the second unit to give him more responsibilities. Then have Butler or Ben to play the PG for us.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,521

Post#203 » by 76ciology » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:04 pm

We have a fun bunch.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,860

Post#204 » by Stanford » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:30 am

New Zealand's PM has a real Molly Sullivan thing going on
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,728

Post#205 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#206 » by kriss73 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 pm

One of these guys is a big part of the past (maybe present and future too) of our franchise.

Guess who?
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,811

Post#207 » by kriss73 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am

A little help: TTP :-)
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#208 » by smittybanton » Sat Jun 1, 2019 3:25 pm

The Perfect Draft for Running it Back
(#24 + OKC2020) 6'5 Nickeil Walker-Alexander, PG-SG
(#33) 6'11 208 Nicolas Claxton, SF-PF-C
(#34) 6'11 235 Daniel Gafford, C
(#42) 6'9 Dedric Lawson, PF
($54) 6'4 Jaylen Nowell, SG
The Perfect Free Agents for Running it Back
(MLE) 6'6 Tomas Satoransky, PG-SG-SF
(BAE) 6'11 Thomas Bryant Jr., C
2019-2020 NBA Champions
Ben Simmons, JJ Redick, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Joel Embiid
Tomas Satoransky (MLE), Zhaire Smith, Mike Scott, Jonah Bolden, Thomas Bryant Jr. (BAE)
Vasilije Micic, N. Walker Alexander (24), Shake Milton, Nicolas Claxton (34), Daniel Gafford (33)
(Dedric Lawson (42), Jaylen Nowell (54))

1. I believe we should run it back. Butler, Harris, Redick and Scott. I’m not so hot about Boban and James Ennis, although I wouldnt be mad at them returning. Between Scott, Zhaire Smith, and Shake Milton, we have a good amount of talent on the wings. I think we could even bring back Korkmaz if we wanted too. We could not use TJ or Jonathan Simmons against the best teams, and need to improve there. Boban and Amir and Monroe embarrassed themselves trying to defend pick and rolls. Jonah Bolden proved he is not a five, but a four who could be quite effective there if he can shoot consistently.
2. I think we should use the MLE and BAE on borderline starting level players at point guard and center. I have a strong affinity for Tomas Satoransky and Thomas Bryant Jr. Our defense against good teams without Joel Embiid on the floor is atrocious. I’m afraid Dewayne Dedmon will be pricey. There’s also Nerlens Noel. Brook Lopez. Robin. Beyond the top tiered point guards, Ricky Rubio and Darren Collison will be on the market. Patrick Beverley would be fantastic. Prying him from southern California may be a hefty task, though, especially if they get Kawhi Leonard. Scrubs with ambition will be available for cheap, Elfrid Payton, Emmanuel Mudiay. If the Knicks have given up on him, I’ve long believed a chucker like Dennis Smith Jr fits well next to and/or behind Ben Simmons.
3. Therefore, the perfect draft for the Sixers would be if Nickeil Walker Alexander fell to #24, then take Daniel Gafford and Nicolas Claxton back to back with #33 and #34, Dedric Lawson with #42, and Jaylen Nowell at #54. Trading up for NWA with some of our abundance of 2021 draft capital is plausible, I think. While he may not be the shooter Landry Shamet was, he offers similar size at point guard with better ballhandling and defense. We don’t run pick and rolls because we don’t have a guard who has the skills to do it. NWA fixes that. Similarly, Jaylen Nowell could be a huge asset in half court sets. Imagine 6’5 Nickeil and 6’4 Nowell as our starting backcourt in Vegas with 6’11 235 Gafford at the five catching setting vicious screens with his 5.9% fat body beautiful and diving to the rim for thunderous dunks. On the wings, we would have 6’11 208 Nicolas Claxton as our ballhandling, weakside shotblocking four--in the nouveau mode of draymond, giannis, siakam. Just like Ben Simmons is a point guard in a power forwards body, Claxton runs the floor and plays like a wing even if he has the size of a center. He can be a taller Jerami Grant, which would suit us nicely after two years of development on his shooting, weight training and other skills. He could also resemble Nerlens Noel or Mitchell Robinson as a five. Huge wildcard. We have enough picks to roll the dice. The GLeague will be perfect for him. Meanwhile Dedric Lawson is the more polished, albeit slower and less athletic wing. In Lawson, we’re hoping for a contributor like one of the Morris brothers. Bobby Portis was also knocked because of his lack of athleticism. The guy with the highest upside--Claxton--is also the one least able to contribute immediately. So Zhaire Smith would start in his place in Vegas. Nickeil Walker Alexander, Jaylen Nowell, Zhaire Smith, Dedric Lawson, Daniel Gafford (w/ Nicolas Claxton).
4. If we were to collect this type of haul in June, we’d be sitting in the driver’s seat come free agency in July. Ostensibly, NWA and Nowell replace TJ and JSimmons, while Gafford and Claxton take Monroe and Amir’s spots, and then Dedric Lawson is a threat to both James Ennis and Korkmaz. Beating the Raptors and Celtics and Warriors requires having big and strong players with guard-like skills. That is what I think is meant by “small ball”.
5. Joel will incorporate a jump hook. Ben Simmons will shoot 70%+ free throws, and being unafraid will attack more and draw fouls significantly more often. Tobias and Butler’s skills will be better incorporated into our offense. Zhaire “John Starks” Smith should be someone off the bench who defends the point better than anyone we had last year. Thomas Bryant Jr and Daniel Gafford will drastically improve our bench defense. While Tomas Satoransky as our backup point guard adds a pick and roll option to our offense, is long and athletic enough at 6’6’ to switch a little bit defensively, and shoots well enough to substitute for JJ Redick in the starting lineup should JJ’s age start to get the better of him. There’s also a chance Vasilije Micic is ready to contribute in the NBA. The Sixers have so many ways to improve, while other teams figure out how to stay together.
6. With arguably the best starting five in the NBA, these free agent signings and draft picks give us a bench to be proud of, that can rest Joel Embiid for significant stretches during the regular season without losing playoff seeding, that is well-stocked for the future with dynamic young players whose development will hopefully allow us to trade the players ahead of them for 1st round picks and capspace or luxury tax relief. But focusing on this upcoming year, the Sixers would have 13 players under contract who fit between Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid, and two good insurance policies on JoJo in the persons of Bryant and Gafford. Unbeatable!
Ben Simmons, JJ Redick, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Joel Embiid
Tomas Satoransky (MLE), Zhaire Smith, Mike Scott, Jonah Bolden, Thomas Bryant Jr. (BAE)
Vasilije Micic, N. Walker Alexander (24), Shake Milton, Nicolas Claxton (34), Daniel Gafford (33)
(Dedric Lawson (42), Jaylen Nowell (54))
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#209 » by smittybanton » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:58 pm

NBA Comps for Recent Sixers Draftees
[Robert Covington, Luol Deng, John Starks, Kevin Martin, Jimmy Butler]

Elton Brand's job has been to put pieces that fit inbetween cornerstones Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons. Having acquired Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris and having taken Toronto to the brink of Game 7 and then presumably re-signing them to max or near-max five year contracts, Elton's job last night was not just to find players who can contribute next year, but just as importantly players who can replace those high priced veterans in the starting lineup. I believe Elton had these things in mind when he chose 6'5 Matisse Thybulle and 6'7 Marial Shayock.

Matisse Thybulle's job will be to replicate the defensive presence Robert Covington provided. While its unreasonable to expect Thybulle to become an All-NBA defender like Lord RoCo, it would be magnificent if he could guard the point and assassinate point guards like Covington used to do.

Like Covington, Thybulle has played a ton of college basketball, close to 4000minutes as a 4year starter. He's a 36% 3pt shooter despite hitting on only 30% this past year. Take that away and he's upwards of 38%.

I don't think its unfair to either to say Matisse Thybulle was basically Mikal Bridges with worse teammates. The Huskies have never been known for an efficient offensive system. Thybulle, Bridges and Covington are all similarly challenged when it comes to dribbling the basketball. Thybulle, the shortest of the three, is probably the best with the bounce, which isn't saying a whole lot.

While the analogy between Covington and Thybulle may be a little loose, Marial Shayock's floor game mirrors recent retiree Luol Deng, who followed Elton Brand at Duke.

Long and lanky like Deng, Shayock has a pretty shot and just enough of a handle to beat closeouts to either side. Like a former #50s pick for the Sixers Jordan McRae, when Shayock beats his man he going all the way to the cup. The Sixers like that.

Shayock is no newcomer to the game, having played on the Canadian under 16 and under 17 squads, he played well in significant minutes in the 2014 Jordan Brand Classic before spending 3 years on a hugely successful UVA, then sitting out for a year and completing his 5 year journey at Iowa State where they let him unfurl his full offensive arsenal.

In Portsmouth Invitational, he made the all-tournament team among the NBA hopefuls by shooting .437 from the bean, as well as 3.3 assists to 1.7to/gm.

Covington and Deng are classic 3&D guys who wait on the perimeter for their name to be called after our primary initiators collapse the defense. They were seldom asked to create their own offense, although Deng was half-way decent at it when asked to do it. That's exactly what we're hoping for in Thybulle and Shayock.

And while Elton Brand was not the head man in charge during last year's draft, he was in the cipher, and I have comps for those guys too.

Zhaire Smith is the spitting image of John Starks, the former New York Knick with the iconic baseline dunk on Jordan's Chicago Bulls. Similar hops, it remains to be seen whether Zhaire has Starks' floor game--which it should be mentioned developed over considerable time as he spent time in the old minor league CBA before making to MSG.

Landry Shamet will have an NBA career quite similar to the former Sacramento King consistent 18pt scorer, Kevin Martin. Defensively challenged, they bear a slight physical resemblence, although Martin was a tad bit taller.

Lastly, the physical resemblence between Jimmy Butler and Shake Milton is weak, although they are both around 6'5-6'6 200. However, both were four year college players, and while Jimmy was taken at the end of the 1st round, Shake lasted until the end of the 2nd.

The two are jacks of all trades, but masters of none. Neither is overwhelmingly athletic, yet have enough to get it done.

When asked whether Shake was a "one" or a "two", Elton Brand said that Shake would get a chance to run the second string offense in Vegas Summer League.

That sounds a lot like the way we use Jimmy, no?
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#210 » by agiaco » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:20 pm

kriss73 wrote:Image

One of these guys is a big part of the past (maybe present and future too) of our franchise.

Guess who?

Sam looks a lot better now
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#211 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:36 pm

agiaco wrote:

Guess who?

Didn't even recognize him. Quite the transformation.
agiaco
Analyst

Post#212 » by agiaco » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:06 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
agiaco wrote:

Guess who?

Didn't even recognize him. Quite the transformation.

Looks like a mini Aaron Baynes in 25 years
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#213 » by Foshan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:31 am

So, what about this says part of our future? Aside from our desire :)
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#214 » by smittybanton » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:16 pm

My Contribution to the Elton Brand Appreciation Thread

Elton Brand pays premium prices because he is successfully acquiring players who fit precisely inbetween and around Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid.

Tobias Harris was signed to replace JJ Redick. Follow me on this. He is our best shooter and weakest defender. But think about it, Harris is actually just as quick and agile (neither slower nor slewfooted) as JJ Redick. Harris isn’t a great defender, but he’s better than JJ. I also think Tobias Harris’ scoring average is going to go up significantly. Many of the plays we designed for Redick will now feature Tobias Harris. And just like with Redick, Harris will flourish because of the attention the other plays draw and because he will be featured--especially so considering Jimmy Butler’s one on one game is gone. Consider also that Tobias Harris creates for himself and rebounds better than JJ Redick, while also able to finish above the rim on the break. Yes, JJ could hit wild shots. But he has to, in order to be effective. Harris is perfectly adequate as snipers go, while also contributing in other ways.

Al Horford was signed to replace Tobias Harris. Harris has the shot and is enough of a rebounder to be a good stretch four. But he was not a plus defensively there. Harris could not guard Kawhi or Siakam or Giannis… Al Horford can. Word is he left Boston because he’s never wanted to be a straight up five. Just because he’s good at it doesn’t mean he wants to be overmatched physically night after night. He’s a big four who can also play the five. And that’s how we’ll use him. I don’t know what’s going to happen three years down the road. But I know right now that Horford is one fantastic defender who can guard people up and down the line.

I don’t care what nobody says, the Sixers’ biggest flaw, the reason why the Raptors series was even close, was because Boban and Monroe and Bolden got destroyed by pick and rolls, something like -90 for the series. -90! I was hoping we’d find a five who can at least defend pnrs well enough to keep us even. Kyle O’Quinn is that guy, I believe. But check this out--according to the numbers, freaking Al Horford is even better at it than Joel Embiid!

“[Horford] was 2nd among among the 15 bigs that defended 2,000+ pick and rolls. Opponents scored only 0.93 points per direct pick. For comparison sake, Embiid allowed 0.94 points.”

OMG!!!

With Al Horford, the Sixers have a great chance to get the #1 seed because we can limit Joel Embiid’s minutes during the regular season, we have a former all-star as a spot starter and Kyle Oquinn as his backup when Joel rests for load management, and a bit of an insurance policy in case the unmentionable happens. Remember, the Raptors still have Marc Gasol (25m) and Serge Ibaka (21m). Combined, Joel and Horford are younger, better, and cheaper. Oh, and as far as Jimmy Butler as veteran presence, I’m sure Brett Brown prefers having by all reports the classiest dude in the NBA. Al Horford even enhances Joel Embiid’s development, being one of the few people in the league who can actually guard him successfully--there practice battles should be legendary and Joel should learn a lot (hopefully incorporating a deadly yet simple right hand jump hook, if i had anything to say about it).

Bbbbut wait, there’s more. The Sixers were wildly deficient as a pick and roll offense, primarily because we don’t have the players to run it effectively. Now? Just as Al Horford fixes the second string defense, staggering him and Joel drastically improves the second string offense, because Tobias Harris and Al Horford together can be a tremendous pick and roll, pick and pop combination. Both broad shouldered, each can shoot, dribble and pass. Al Horford averaged over 4 asts/gm. Jimmy Butler could shake and bake, he could also initiate the pick and roll somewhat. But in the guts of game 7, Toronto double teamed him, which unfortunately resulted in catastrophe--three straight turnovers. Given a full year to practice and play together, given his greater role in the offense, I expect Tobias to extend the same giving relationship he has with Boban to Joel Embiid and Al Horford.

Speaking of Jimmy, who I adored, who brought the dog out of everyone, Josh Richardson is simply not a downgrade as far as fitting in and around Ben and Joel. Offensively, he assumes the role Jimmy had, as our best one on one scorer and also potential backup point guard--which a lot of folks do not know about Josh Richardson. Richardson also averaged over 4 assists a game. Let’s concede however that Jimmy Butler is better at those things than Josh Richardson. I counter that Richardson’s advantage over Butler as a shooter off the catch exceeds Butler’s advantage over Butler. Jimmy refused to take shots off the catch more times than most fans care to remember. With Josh, Ben and Joel will rack up even more assists. And with regard to Jimmy being a closer, the Sixers now have a team where all five guys can beat their man off the dribble to the cup if that guy is weak. We also have five guys who pass well enough to abuse double teams. Against this multi-skilled team, there’s absolutely nowhere to hide a bull defender.

Even if you think Josh’s shooting advantage does not exceed Jimmy’s advantage as a scorer, I argue next that Josh is a much better defender for what the Sixers need than Jimmy was. I expected to Jimmy to guard the point. But that didn’t happen. Regardless whether it was age, knees, capacity or willingness, point guards torched us mercilessly after we traded Robert Covington--who assassinated point guards all the way to a 1st team defense award. Check Kemba Walker’s stats in games Robert Covington played in for the last couple years. It’s not pretty for KW, one of the best ballhandlers in the league. We now have Josh Richardson for that. In Miami, not only did the Heat try to run its offense through Josh, he was also assigned to either the other team’s point guard or their best scorer. At 6’6, we have a point guard defender who can also guard up. We can either fight through picks or keep on switching. Some people might be afraid of point guards getting switched onto our bigs jacking up wild-ass three point attempts over Al Horford or Joel Embiid’s outstretched hands. But I’m not.

Remember when we lost to the Celtics in the playoffs back in 2018, and we bemoaned their having a #1 defense along with a squad of guys with complete skills. In 2019, we take a backseat to no one in terms of skills. Ben can’t shoot and Tobias isnt a great wing defender. But, fingers crossed, we might have some young players who can do both. If we get just one legit or even surprisingly good player out of Zhaire, Thybulle, Bolden, Shake or Shayock, the Sixers season will be phenomenal. I for one am not upset at having a thin bench, because the center/defensive anchor spot is well staffed while we give our kids enough minutes to be prepared for the playoffs.

If after this you are still infuriated by the cost of acquiring Tobias in trade or free agency, Al Horford’s age, or choosing to go with minimum salaried veterans on the bench instead of 2nd round draft picks, you have every right. I think Tobias’ numbers will improve significantly (22-23pts/gm), Al Horford would’ve cost 35m instead of 20m if he were younger, and this draft was so weak that some guys like Terence Davis or Dedric Lawson or Shamorie Ponds who went undrafted were rated by some draftniks as mid first or early second round picks. The Sixers could’ve gotten any one of those guys without a 2nd round pick at all. So I think it’s clear that Elton Brand felt we had enough rookies, and that we should only take the two players I argue have better chance than anyone taken in the 30s or 40s to actually contribute this year because they’re each four year guys. [Well, besides Daniel Gafford, but we got Kyle Oquinn, anyway.]

Bottom line is, I’m not letting Negadelphians steal my joy. I am super-excited about these Sixers. Without caveats! 2020 NBA Champions.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#215 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:08 am

Embiid
Horford
Simmons
Richardson
???

Which PG's make this team a favorite?
Which other NBA teams bench with a league average PG 4(Jeff Teauge)) could win the title with this top 4?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
smittybanton
Sixth Man

Post#216 » by smittybanton » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:07 pm

Instead of hunting big fish, the 2020 Sixers will probably only have the Mid-Level Exception and Biannual Exception to acquire new players, and they may not even want to use those if they are scared of paying luxury taxes. Gonna assume the MLE is $10m and the BAE is $5m.
So, on one hand, I’ve excluded all the top tiered free agents. On the other, I’ve included guys who might totally flame out and be available for the minimum. Thirdly, I tend to look for players 25 or younger with upside, hoping that a 5m contract might turn into a 15m player.
Ultimately, this is just something of a ‘watch list’ for players who might be underrated next summer. During the season, I’ll be watching them not just for their statistics, but to see if they actually play a similar style to ours.
A quick note about restricted free agents: NBA teams have come to their senses and have started giving incumbent teams a 2nd round draft pick to relinquish their rights to RFAs. So I’ll be paying more attention to them this year than I previously have.
Dejounte Murray, Cedi Osman, Caris Levert, Taurean Prince (RFAs) - Full MLE (4yrs/50m) All restricted free agents highly likely to be retained by their incumbent squads. My prayer is that one of them is adamant about getting out of their current situation on to the reigning NBA Champions. Cedi Osman was drafted like one slot in front of Richaun Holmes. I have always wondered what if…?
Jerami Grant (PO) - Has a player option for $9m. If he opted out, we could give him 4yrs of security. Highly unlikely even before we get to his relationship with Brett Brown. Similarly, I’ve excluded Nerlens Noel.
DeAndre Bembry, Dario Saric (RFAs) - Bembry’s defense is superior to his offense. Dario’s offense is superior to his defense. BAE level players, maybe.
Dillon Brooks (RFA) - I like his overall game. But I dont think he plays at the speed we’d want.
Kris Dunn (RFA) - I would love a backup point guard who is an exceptional defender. The John Wall comparisons were wildly unfair. With some improvement in his shooting, more like a younger Mario Chalmers. I got a couple dollars for that. For dumb cheap, I’d be interested in DeAnthony Melton also.
Derrick Jones Jr and Bruno Caboclo (UFA) - These are two wildly athletic bench players who are transforming from athlete to basketball player. Caboclo was taken in the draft too soon, Derrick Jones was wrongly ignored. I think both have a long future as bench players who defend extremely well, while not being totally useless on offense. Would love to have either or both on a cheap deal. Caboclo for one has the size Zhaire and Matisse do not. I'll be comparing him to Jonah Bolden all season long.
Conclusion: The pickings are slim. I would continue our recent trend of acquiring the best defenders we can possibly find, so long as they have some passable offensive skill. I think the MLE and BAE will be more than enough to add Kris Dunn, Derrick Jones Jr., and Bruno Caboclo. If I could only have one, it’d be Derrick Jones Jr. for sure. I think he’s going to put on a show this season.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#217 » by BullyKing » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:28 pm

The Sixers will only have access to the tax payer midlevel exception. And you're continuing to underestimate the cost of a lot of these guys.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,442

Post#218 » by Eyeamok » Thu Aug 1, 2019 3:13 pm

agiaco wrote:

Guess who?

Wait Sam Hinkie? The guy with the beard is Sam Hinkie?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,193

Post#219 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:20 pm

Marco Belinelli is a free agent next summer. Just sayin.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
agiaco
Analyst

Post#220 » by agiaco » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:12 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
agiaco wrote:

Guess who?

Wait Sam Hinkie? The guy with the beard is Sam Hinkie?

yeah man

Return to Philadelphia 76ers