ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Enes Kanter!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

eris
Veteran
And1: 136

Re: Welcome to Boston Enes Kanter! 

Post#421 » by eris » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:50 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
And yet they made zero effort to retain his services. Kanter is a horrible defender and probably always will be.

I don't think that's fair, they just went in a different direction for whatever reason, opting for a contract-year Whiteside.

Them and everyone else. 4th team in 4 years

I don't know if Kanter is going to be good, but I don't think he's going to be bad...especially for the price the C's are paying. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves he can't/won't play defense in whatever scheme Steven's comes up with this year.
kivancb
Junior
And1: 360

Post#422 » by kivancb » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:29 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:This sucks. This absolutely sucks.

Read on Twitter

It does. I would like to share a direct link written by me - an introduction about Enes Kanter. As I am Turkish, I do happen to know a lot about his history and his ties to the Islamic clerk and Turkish government of a mess pretty well:

http://celticshomecourt.freeforums.net/post/74757/thread

tldr: I hope he gets his sh*t straight but I do not trust Enes Kanter.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,910

Post#423 » by Parliament10 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:37 am

kivancb wrote:

Read on Twitter

It does. I would like to share a direct link written by me - an introduction about Enes Kanter. As I am Turkish, I do happen to know a lot about his history and his ties to the Islamic clerk and Turkish government of a mess pretty well:

Let's not get too political about this.
But Freedom of Speech is pretty important.

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,705

Post#424 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:19 am

Read on Twitter

He looks the part of a guy who can stop Embiid and/or star as a villain in the next Bond movie.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,681

Post#425 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:44 am

Parliament10 wrote:
kivancb wrote:

Read on Twitter

Let's not get too political about this.
But Freedom of Speech is pretty important.

That article criticizing Gulen is fair. It may or may not actually be accurate, but it's a perfectly reasonable guess or interpretation based on available facts. And so accusing Kanter of being a foolish cult member is also fair, again with the caveat that we can't be sure it's accurate.

But please, please, please refrain from taking the leap to saying that therefore Kanter is a bad person, or has a sinister agenda, or anything like that. He seems like a religious believer who follows the good part of what his religion says, but may or may not be blind to bad things his particular sect is doing under the cover of their apparent goodness.

To pick a Western example: The Roman Catholic church has done horrible things, has intervened greatly in politics, and keeps a huge number of secrets. But there still are many, many, many Catholic believers who are good people and indeed are inspired to goodness by their faith.

Edit: For clarity, I should have spelled this analogy out further. Some think the good the Catholic Church does vastly outweighs the harm. Some, including me, have the opposite view. This is not the forum for arguing one side of that or the other. But even those who are very negative on Catholicism shouldn't be down on a player simply because he's a devout Catholic, any more than we should blame devout Muslims such as Hakeem Olajuwon, Tacko Fall or Enes Kanter for the failings of other Islamic believers.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#426 » by BillTheGOAT » Fri Aug 2, 2019 12:11 pm

Disclaimer: dont want to talk politics but this needs to be said.

I hope Kanter could stop with the political/religious stuff. He is allowed to have his own beliefs but you don’t have to share it with everyone dude.

Imagine him hanging out with a Celtic teammate or several teammates, then some lunatic that is pro-turkish gvt attacks him and someone on the Celtics?

Hope he can be lowkey from now on...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#427 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:57 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:Disclaimer: dont want to talk politics but this needs to be said.

I hope Kanter could stop with the political/religious stuff. He is allowed to have his own beliefs but you don’t have to share it with everyone dude.

Imagine him hanging out with a Celtic teammate or several teammates, then some lunatic that is pro-turkish gvt attacks him and someone on the Celtics?

I hope the opposite. I'd like to see Russian players feuding with Putin too.

If you're suggesting it's too dangerous for Kanter, who makes a good living outside Turkey, to argue with Erdogan, you're conceding that Erdogan can get away (again) with violence on US soil.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#428 » by 3D Chess » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:28 pm

Yeah, the "stick to sports" narrative helps nobody except those who wish to carry on getting away with bad actions.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#429 » by Dogen » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:52 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

He looks the part of a guy who can stop Embiid and/or star as a villain in the next Bond movie.

Better shot at the Bond role, honestly, but even if he can't stop Embiid he's a big body and has got some attitude, so I expect Kanter and Embiid to have their share of chippy scenes on the court. Should be fun for the whole family!
Hey you! Can we come together?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,867

Post#430 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Aug 2, 2019 6:28 pm

3D Chess wrote:Yeah, the "stick to sports" narrative helps nobody except those who wish to carry on getting away with bad actions.

I was in Turkey for 5 weeks in 2015: three weeks sailing out of Marmaris and a week in Istanbul at each end.
Ergodan is a pig. The Kurds (15% of the population) and the young people can't stand him. He's an autocrat who has ruthlessly jailed and in some cases murdered educated Turks after the failed coup in 2016. He tries to blame all of Turkey's ills on some obscure cleric living in Pennsylvania.

Turkey has not been a theocracy since Mustapha Kemal. There is no state religion and no persecution of non-Muslims. There are hundreds of active christian churches and 20 active synagogs in Istanbul. But Ergodan wants to turn it into a theocracy, because conservative muslims are his political base.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#431 » by Elrod is Back » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanks for the report, Curm. Sounds right to me.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#432 » by GuyClinch » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:54 pm

Wait so Ergodan is mad at Kanter for being the wrong kind of Muslim? Is that the gist of it? I knew that Ergodan guy is a piece of work.. but imagined that he didn't like Kanter for sticking up for the Kurds or something like that..

Either way this guys defense is legendarily bad - so lets hope Robert Williams can shoot a little and we see more of Theis or he gets coached up. Watching some of his lowlights we have to hope he can be coached up a bit on defense. Looks to me like he just stands there - instead of knowing where to go on the court in X situation..

Like - guy driving - move there and stop. Guy open out on wing - move out and contest. Basically you need to know where to go and then hustle to get to that spot and/or contest the shot. There could be some serious friction here. You rarely see those kind of mental mistakes out of guys like Hayward, Theis, Williams, Brown, Tatum etc.

Stevens will need to coach him up - otherwise he will see less minutes then he imagines. If he gets the feet stuck in mud syndrome - he is done for. Coaches will understand when a guy isn't that physically talented at defense - Hayward for example. But they need to bust. Kanter is just like - "Oh yeah maybe I should have slid over when that guy was driving down the middle - no big maybe I can get teh rebound".
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#433 » by theman » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:56 pm

3D Chess wrote:Yeah, the "stick to sports" narrative helps nobody except those who wish to carry on getting away with bad actions.

Kanter is standing up to an authoritarian dictator. That is something that is more important than sport.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#434 » by theman » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:05 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Wait so Ergodan is mad at Kanter for being the wrong kind of Muslim? Is that the gist of it? I knew that Ergodan guy is a piece of work.. but imagined that he didn't like Kanter for sticking up for the Kurds or something like that..

Either way this guys defense is legendarily bad - so lets hope Robert Williams can shoot a little and we see more of Theis or he gets coached up. Watching some of his lowlights ...

Try watching his highlights.

"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#435 » by GuyClinch » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:44 pm

theman wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:Wait so Ergodan is mad at Kanter for being the wrong kind of Muslim? Is that the gist of it? I knew that Ergodan guy is a piece of work.. but imagined that he didn't like Kanter for sticking up for the Kurds or something like that..

Either way this guys defense is legendarily bad - so lets hope Robert Williams can shoot a little and we see more of Theis or he gets coached up. Watching some of his lowlights ...

Cool man - that gets me less depressed. Ainge always says that the skills that make a guy good on offense can be used to be respectable at least on defense. And I believe that. If we can get him hustling to the right spot and trying to do the right thing he can be a big minutes guy. Guys like Baynes when they first came out - no one thought they could defend. Now he made his name as a defender..

Not saying Kanter will go that way but maybe Stevens can get him player better defense. Defense seems to be a stevens strength as we have had great defensive teams having only decent defenders at the 4/5.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#436 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:12 pm

Here’s Kanter speaking for himself, and sounding entirely credible: https://time.com/5389792/enes-kanter-erdogan-gulen/
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#437 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:42 pm

The problem is straight out of Orwell. Erdogan and Gulen worked together on a great change in Turkish politics. But once Erdogan had been in power for some years, he and Gulen had a falling out, and now Gulen is Public Enemy #1, so much so that Gulen's followers are also labeled as enemies of the state.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#438 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:45 pm

theman wrote:

Steven Adams looked completely flummoxed, except on the last play of that video, where he induced Kanter to take an extra step (not whistled about).
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,072

Post#439 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:49 am

kivancb wrote:

Read on Twitter

I respect your opinion but just because you are Turkish it doesn't make your opinion of him any more valid than his account of the situation or himself.

Take America for instance, I would hope no one sees/hears a Trump supporter and think that that represents the truth of America, I would hope people would look at more perspectives and then decide. Being American doesn't just make an opinion, especially on these things, right. As a supporter of Sanders I still feel the same, even though I fully believe in my opinion that he is a vastly superior representation, I would still hope people would listen to Trump/his supporters side and decide for themselves.

What I'm saying is, you may be right, Kanter needs to get his shat straight, but I offer that MAYBE he does have it together and you and/or your government needs to get it together.

There are many sides to a story. I can put together an entire article on why Trump is the greatest president of all time, especially if I gather all my info from conservative sources or arrange facts in a way that would fit my narrative. It doesn't make it true.
Spoiler:
excuse me while I throw-up
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,276

Post#440 » by brackdan70 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:14 am

BillTheGOAT wrote:Disclaimer: dont want to talk politics but this needs to be said.

Some things are bigger than basketball dude.
Sign here

Return to Boston Celtics