Political Roundtable Part XXVI

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVI 

Post#781 » by daoneandonly » Fri Aug 2, 2019 12:24 pm

dobrojim wrote:
A fetus is morally the same, you believe what you want to believe, and I'll do the same. At least on my island, i stand with both an unborn baby and the kids being treated as less than at the detention centers. Both are wrong, one doesn't have some superiority over the other.

I don't object to your believing what you believe even though I completely disagree.

I do strongly object to your imposing that belief me, my family and on everyone else.

Plus I don't actually believe that in actual practice you truly think a fetus is the same
as a baby. I have repeatedly provided hypotheticals which demonstrate this. You dismiss
them as mere hypotheticals rather than address the rationale.

payitforward wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:It hasn't been explained in any way that proves the progressive tax system is better. Everyone should pay the same rate, I am not better than you, you are not better than point, point is not better than dck, dck is not better than ruz, ruz is not better than monte. We're all the same, we all make what we make, and we should all pay the same % of what we make for the services we share. Despite the fact that some of us will never use many of those very services. You can argue with it any which way, same % is fair no matter how you slice it.

A fetus is morally the same, you believe what you want to believe, and I'll do the same. At least on my island, i stand with both an unborn baby and the kids being treated as less than at the detention centers. Both are wrong, one doesn't have some superiority over the other.

You make two unrelated points here -- or, rather, you take two unrelated stands. I don't agree with either of them, but I don't have an argument to make in respect of the second one. Your idea of what's a moral issue is entirely up to you; as long as you don't seek to impose it (though of course you are free to militate for it as much as you please), no problem.

The problem though my fellow posters is you and the government are essentially imposing your belief that people who earn more are responsible and obligated to pay more taxes than ppl who earn less to help them, to make their life easier. That too is a moral issue, one that is no more or less important than that of abortion.

If we're going to operate under the premise that the government and others should not be able to impose moral beliefs on others, than we also need to rid ourselves of the progressive tax system, funding PP, and other programs where people who earn more have to disproportionately pay more because someone deemed it the moral thing to do
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,002

Post#782 » by dckingsfan » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:34 pm

Premise: A party believes in equal taxation/flat tax

Fact: Federal deficits are a regressive tax on the lowest earners

Therefore a party believes in flat tax taxation would not carry federal deficits

That has not been the case for any of the administrations since Reagan. QED: the party currently in the oval office doesn't believe in a flat tax but rather a regressive tax
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#783 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:56 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dobrojim wrote:

I don't object to your believing what you believe even though I completely disagree.

I do strongly object to your imposing that belief me, my family and on everyone else.

Plus I don't actually believe that in actual practice you truly think a fetus is the same
as a baby. I have repeatedly provided hypotheticals which demonstrate this. You dismiss
them as mere hypotheticals rather than address the rationale.

payitforward wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:It hasn't been explained in any way that proves the progressive tax system is better. Everyone should pay the same rate, I am not better than you, you are not better than point, point is not better than dck, dck is not better than ruz, ruz is not better than monte. We're all the same, we all make what we make, and we should all pay the same % of what we make for the services we share. Despite the fact that some of us will never use many of those very services. You can argue with it any which way, same % is fair no matter how you slice it.

You make two unrelated points here -- or, rather, you take two unrelated stands. I don't agree with either of them, but I don't have an argument to make in respect of the second one. Your idea of what's a moral issue is entirely up to you; as long as you don't seek to impose it (though of course you are free to militate for it as much as you please), no problem.

The problem though my fellow posters is you and the government are essentially imposing your belief that people who earn more are responsible and obligated to pay more taxes than ppl who earn less to help them, to make their life easier. That too is a moral issue, one that is no more or less important than that of abortion.

If we're going to operate under the premise that the government and others should not be able to impose moral beliefs on others, than we also need to rid ourselves of the progressive tax system, funding PP, and other programs where people who earn more have to disproportionately pay more because someone deemed it the moral thing to do

I'd call it a logical choice first, an ethical choice second, and a moral choice 3rd. An equitable choice also figures in there somewhere - not sure if that fits under logic or ethics.

And when Warren Buffet states that his secretary pays a higher rate of tax on income than he does, there's a problem. :nod:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#784 » by dobrojim » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:16 pm

daoneandonly wrote:

Taken to it's logical extreme, people who earn the most should pay nothing (of what they have) and people
who earn the least should pay everything (of what they have).

Actually, that is closer to where we are then the reverse.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#785 » by TGW » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#786 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#787 » by FAH1223 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
TGW
RealGM

Post#788 » by TGW » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:21 pm

Wow...another blow to the Russiagate conspiracy. Judge strikes down DNC lawsuit with prejudice. Yikes.

The ruling terminated the DNC’s claims against the Trump campaign, individual members of the campaign, including the president’s son Donald Trump Jr. and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and the document disclosure group WikiLeaks and its leader Julian Assange for releasing material stolen by the Russian hackers.

Good god, how many times is the DNC going to get owned. Talk about incompetent leadership.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/31/judge-tosses-democratic-case-against-trump-campaign-russia-wikileaks.html
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#789 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:35 pm

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#790 » by Wizardspride » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:39 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

FAH1223,

I assume you share this opinion?
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#791 » by Kanyewest » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:30 pm

First major poll out has Biden at 32, Sanders at 18, Warren at 8, and Harris at 6. Note it was an online survey.

https://harvardharrispoll.com/

Now I wouldn't draw major conclusions from one poll much like a summer league game.
Although, it looks like Biden won, Warren/Harris lost, and Sanders held pat. I do think that Biden looked pretty vulnerable calling TPP as TTP, bumbling his website. But negative attacks didn't seem to land on Biden. Sanders also appeared to have done better than Warren. I suspect most of her supporters will switch to Bernie if this trend continues. Still, Sanders ideally would probably someone like Harris, Booker, Castro to take a bite out of Biden's numbers as Biden will also probably see some incremental increase with moderates dropping.

Like making a conclusions from one summer league game by Rui, it looks like it will be a Biden vs Sanders run with an uphill battle for Sanders as Biden is seen as the most electable. I don't really think Biden is at this stage of his life although it appears people won't be convinced of that even with poor debate showings or people haven't been paying attention to the debates.

Although still more polls to come out, I am a bit surprised how well someone like Biden is doing and how poorly Warren is.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#792 » by dobrojim » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:21 pm

My millennial very pro-feminist daughter (23) has a very uncomplimentary opinion of why Biden
is doing so well in the polls (thus far) while Warren is not. I'm not sure she is at all wrong.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
TGW
RealGM

Post#793 » by TGW » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:35 pm

Kanyewest wrote:First major poll out has Biden at 32, Sanders at 18, Warren at 8, and Harris at 6. Note it was an online survey.

That's a strange poll. 1/3 of the respondents were self-identified Republicans. Unless the DNC is opening up the primaries to Republican voters, I don't see why their responses in a democratic primary poll is weighted as evenly as Democrats. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in polling can school me, but in a closed primary, a poll like this doesn't make sense IMO.
TGW
RealGM

Post#794 » by TGW » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:01 pm

Holy crap. :o

dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#795 » by dckingsfan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:02 pm

Kanyewest wrote:First major poll out has Biden at 32, Sanders at 18, Warren at 8, and Harris at 6. Note it was an online survey.

Now I wouldn't draw major conclusions from one poll much like a summer league game.
Although, it looks like Biden won, Warren/Harris lost, and Sanders held pat. I do think that Biden looked pretty vulnerable calling TPP as TTP, bumbling his website. But negative attacks didn't seem to land on Biden. Sanders also appeared to have done better than Warren. I suspect most of her supporters will switch to Bernie if this trend continues. Still, Sanders ideally would probably someone like Harris, Booker, Castro to take a bite out of Biden's numbers as Biden will also probably see some incremental increase with moderates dropping.

Like making a conclusions from one summer league game by Rui, it looks like it will be a Biden vs Sanders run with an uphill battle for Sanders as Biden is seen as the most electable. I don't really think Biden is at this stage of his life although it appears people won't be convinced of that even with poor debate showings or people haven't been paying attention to the debates.

Although still more polls to come out, I am a bit surprised how well someone like Biden is doing and how poorly Warren is.

Eh - I wouldn't take one poll - and you want to watch the trending as well - there is a pretty long way to go.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/democratic_nomination_polls/

And the Economist poll has it:
Biden 26
Warren 20
Sanders 13
Harris 11
Buttigieg 6
dobrojim wrote:

Tell your daughter to get out and work for Warren if she wants to make a change. She clearly won the last set of debates - but it will take time for her to trend up. And there is an awfully long way to go...
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#796 » by FAH1223 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:52 pm

Wizardspride wrote:FAH1223,

I assume you share this opinion?

Yes, I think Stoller has a big point. None of the candidates are going to attack Obama. But Dems refuse to acknowledge his inactions on the prosecution of the Wall Street raiders who destroyed the economy, the Bush administration war criminals who were never brought to justice, his timidity in pushing for truly foundational economic change in the wake of the financial crisis, the rampant market concentration that has strangled the socio-economic life out of most communities across the nation, the expansion of morally derelict and increasingly ungovernable national/border security apparatus, and ultimately, as we're seeing right now, a sizeable cult of personality that stands in opposition to progressive improvements to his administration's work.

Trump is bad, we know it. But we also can't repeat the mistakes of the past whenever the Dems come back into power with the WH, House, and over 55 seats in the US Senate.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#797 » by dckingsfan » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:02 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:FAH1223, I assume you share this opinion?

Yes, I think Stoller has a big point. None of the candidates are going to attack Obama. But Dems refuse to acknowledge his inactions on the prosecution of the Wall Street raiders who destroyed the economy, the Bush administration war criminals who were never brought to justice, his timidity in pushing for truly foundational economic change in the wake of the financial crisis, the rampant market concentration that has strangled the socio-economic life out of most communities across the nation, the expansion of morally derelict and increasingly ungovernable national/border security apparatus, and ultimately, as we're seeing right now, a sizeable cult of personality that stands in opposition to progressive improvements to his administration's work.

Trump is bad, we know it. But we also can't repeat the mistakes of the past whenever the Dems come back into power with the WH, House, and over 55 seats in the US Senate.

Cosign.

But we also can't swing wildly with progressive ideas that have huge unintended consequences. Remember, our healthcare crisis has deep roots in the Ds making. Employer-paid premiums for health insurance are exempt from federal income and payroll taxes and that was one of the big cost drivers (maybe THE driver).

If we were to implement the GND (as is) the consequences would be worse than climate change itself.

And Warren's wealth tax would be a disaster that would eventually just be rolled back (like France and Sweden).

And remember, we want to end the stupid war on drugs and tough on crime, right? But we want to prosecute the Bush administration?

What we need is intelligent progressive policies that get rolled out - not just "big ideas", IMO.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#798 » by FAH1223 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:31 am

dckingsfan wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:FAH1223, I assume you share this opinion?

Cosign.

But we also can't swing wildly with progressive ideas that have huge unintended consequences. Remember, our healthcare crisis has deep roots in the Ds making. Employer-paid premiums for health insurance are exempt from federal income and payroll taxes and that was one of the big cost drivers (maybe THE driver).

If we were to implement the GND (as is) the consequences would be worse than climate change itself.

And Warren's wealth tax would be a disaster that would eventually just be rolled back (like France and Sweden).

And remember, we want to end the stupid war on drugs and tough on crime, right? But we want to prosecute the Bush administration?

What we need is intelligent progressive policies that get rolled out - not just "big ideas", IMO.

Yes. Torture and the lies of invading Iraq. Ample evidence was there. People like Bolton and Haspel shouldn't be back in government in a normal country. They'd have been prosecuted.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#799 » by Kanyewest » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:16 am

dckingsfan wrote:

Eh - I wouldn't take one poll - and you want to watch the trending as well - there is a pretty long way to go.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/democratic_nomination_polls/

And the Economist poll has it:
Biden 26
Warren 20
Sanders 13
Harris 11
Buttigieg 6
dobrojim wrote:

Tell your daughter to get out and work for Warren if she wants to make a change. She clearly won the last set of debates - but it will take time for her to trend up. And there is an awfully long way to go...

Hey I love overanalyzing summer league games.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#800 » by JWizmentality » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:14 pm

Another insecure, young white male conservative kills a lot of people.

Return to Washington Wizards