Image ImageImage Image

Do people want the Reinsdorf’s to sell the Bulls?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

1). Yes
83%
2). No
17%

Total votes: 103

Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#1 » by Am2626 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:31 pm

Same poll for Bulls Ownership.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Re: Do people want the Reinsdorf’s to sell the Bulls? 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:48 pm

It depends who buys them and how they pay. If the team is financed heavily in purchase, then the new owner will be far more profit sensitive than Reinsdorf and you are likely to have an even cheaper owner. If the team is purchased outright by someone who just has laughably large amounts of billions and can use it as their toy then I'll probably take that owner.

The other question is how much does that person interfere. Reinsdorf doesn't seem to interfere a whole lot and maybe even so little it is to the Bulls detriment, but getting an owner that thinks they're a basketball savant or is incredibly impatient can run you into a huge host of different other problems that are much bigger and worse.

All in all, I think the likely outcome is that you'd end up with a worse owner if you got a new owner, but it really could go either way.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,223

Post#3 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:55 pm

Of course. This ownership group’s priorities are clearly profit driven, not putting a winning product on the court.

If not being gifted the greatest player of all time, the 80s and 90s look a lot like the 2000s and 2010s, which is complete mediocrity and uninspiring front office and coaching hires.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#4 » by Indomitable » Fri Aug 2, 2019 8:56 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Of course. This ownership group’s priorities are clearly profit driven, not putting a winning product on the court.

If not being gifted the greatest player of all time, the 80s and 90s look a lot like the 2000s and 2010s, which is complete mediocrity and uninspiring front office and coaching hires.

Who will buy them?
:banghead:
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#5 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:01 pm

Indomitable wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Of course. This ownership group’s priorities are clearly profit driven, not putting a winning product on the court.

Who will buy them?

JR to me is clearly a bottom 5 owner in the league. When he interferes, it’s to ensure the FO doesn’t spend more money or nepotism, giving his friends jobs when they clearly aren’t to task.

To that point, it doesn’t really matter. There is a very small chance new ownership is worse.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#6 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:04 pm

I think the better question is, would Reinsdorf actually sell the Bulls?
Despite the struggles on the court, from a value standpoint, from a profit standpoint, this is a very lucrative investment for him.

I would love to see the team sold to a owner who has deep pockets and wants to hire the best people to set a championship culture.
Indomitable
RealGM

Post#7 » by Indomitable » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:10 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Indomitable wrote:

Who will buy them?

JR to me is clearly a bottom 5 owner in the league. When he interferes, it’s to ensure the FO doesn’t spend more money or nepotism, giving his friends jobs when they clearly aren’t to task.

To that point, it doesn’t really matter. There is a very small chance new ownership is worse.

Okay you really are just reacting. I thought so.

Tell me the other 26 owners better. Most other fans hate the ownership. You acquire an owner worth 50 billion like the Clippers. I vote yes. If you get one in a finance group. I vote no.

In any ownership group. Profit is king. Most of your hope is pure fantasy.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#8 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:22 pm

Indomitable wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Indomitable wrote:Who will buy them?

Tell me the other 26 owners better. Most other fans hate the ownership. You acquire an owner worth 50 billion like the Clippers. I vote yes. If you get one in a finance group. I vote no.

ESPN did an owner ranking in 2017. JR was 23, so not far off from where I have him.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19039250/ownership-ratings-1-30

3 owners ranked lower than him in that, the Lakers owner (who got Lebron and AD), Pelicans owner who hired David Griffin and set up that team for incredible success, and Prokerov for the Nets now has Irving and Durant. So I’d have those 3 well ahead of him.

So there you go, bottom 5. Pretty easy to put him here. Since 2017, he hired another coach with no head coaching experience, didn’t resolve any front office issues despite heavy fan reaction, and the team has lost significant interest since then. At this point I find it strange that anyone doesn’t have him in the bottom 5.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,303

Post#9 » by Kurt Heimlich » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:32 pm

I think the Bulls franchise would get a boost from an engaged, energetic new ownership and not one with such a poor, well established cheap reputation. I'd definitely be willing to roll the dice on the unknown here.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#10 » by Proven_Winner » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:38 pm

I’d only be interested in them leaving if we for sure got a buyer lined up who actually likes basketball.
Indomitable
RealGM

Post#11 » by Indomitable » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:45 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

ESPN did an owner ranking in 2017. JR was 23, so not far off from where I have him.

3 owners ranked lower than him in that, the Lakers owner (who got Lebron and AD), Pelicans owner who hired David Griffin and set up that team for incredible success, and Prokerov for the Nets now has Irving and Durant. So I’d have those 3 well ahead of him.

So there you go, bottom 5. Pretty easy to put him here. Since 2017, he hired another coach with no head coaching experience, didn’t resolve any front office issues despite heavy fan reaction, and the team has lost significant interest since then. At this point I find it strange that anyone doesn’t have him in the bottom 5.

So the Piston and Wizard owner were ranked pretty high in my opinion.

The Lakers have Davis and a bunch of player entering their twilight. If they had manage too get Leonard. Maybe.

Bulls management is 10 thru 20. There is nothing special but they do not do anything that cannot be explained.

The Pelicans also got the number 1 pick. Luck matters
chi4lyfe
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#12 » by chi4lyfe » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:45 pm

Indomitable wrote:

Who will buy them?

Chris Hansen would.
No more rhymes now, I mean it!
Anybody want a peanut?
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:50 pm

Indomitable wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Indomitable wrote:Okay you really are just reacting. I thought so.

So the Piston and Wizard owner were ranked pretty high in my opinion.

The Lakers have Davis and a bunch of player entering their twilight. If they had manage too get Leonard. Maybe.

Bulls management is 10 thru 20. There is nothing special but they do not do anything that cannot be explained.

The Pelicans also got the number 1 pick. Luck matters

The Pelicans hired one of the better basketball minds as their gm. It was a pure basketball move, and they got an incredible package for a disgruntled star. Those two make them easily better than the Bulls, not even talking about Zion.

The Lakers are one of the favorites to win the championship and just signed a top 5 player of all time who clearly has a ton left in the tank. That also isn’t even a contest.

What accomplishments has JR done that puts him in 10-20?

ESPN had it right, although he’s lower now for obvious reasons.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#14 » by transplant » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:58 pm

I voted no, but it obviously depends on who the buyer would be. Reinsdorf has been a good owner IMO, but he's always wanted to be an example to other owners with regard to responsible spending...he genuinely cares about the health of the league, not just the health of his team. He's been this way with the White Sox as well. While I respect him for this, I don't really give a **** about other teams and if you're the only owner worrying about the health of the league, you risk being a respected sucker. In his defense though, he's occasionally jumped outside the box setting records with contracts for Jordan and Albert Bell.

Overall, he's been a very good owner.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,899

Post#15 » by weneeda2guard » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:02 pm

I'm not sure

I would like to see a new front office, gm president 1st, and see what our results would be in recruiting stars. They brought Doug Collins in and I swear he doesn't exist. I dont see much of a difference between Michael reinsdorf vs jerry reinsdorf feels like the same results and I dont see much of a change with paxson taking over more duties than gar foreman. Seems like the same conservative slow and steady without the huge risk moves we always seen since Krause left.

What I do know, is I'm not buying what the front office is selling anymore. They kept the fan base expectations low on the improvements of the roster based on not having the cap space, building through the draft etc but team after team have built a better team than ours already being over the salary cap, no lottery picks , and they can still find a way to get a star on their rosters. We need a front office than can make big things happen and remain on the competitive level of the other top team. This build through the draft template is dead and over with. Time to move on to a new plan.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 737

Post#16 » by Hold That » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:34 pm

Indomitable wrote:

Who will buy them?

Amazon owner was looking into getting into the NBA. I’m sure he’d be interested in a team that’s globally recognized.. especially if he had interest in buying the Knicks
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#17 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:39 pm

Anybody who buys Bulls today will be better owner because he needs to make profit from huge investement, which means investing himself fully into a basketball team and basketball side of operations. Means surrounding himself with smart, ambitious, bright, young succesful people which will lead to success on the floor.

Bulls are already global brand I mean half a work is already done for him.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#18 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:04 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:So there you go, bottom 5. Pretty easy to put him here. Since 2017, he hired another coach with no head coaching experience, didn’t resolve any front office issues despite heavy fan reaction, and the team has lost significant interest since then. At this point I find it strange that anyone doesn’t have him in the bottom 5.

I think there's a bottom four that is basically untouchable: Dolan, Sarver, Taylor, Ranadive. Those four are just a bunch of complete and utter buffoons. They're like the '60s Celtics of bad ownership.

Ironically, I think the 5th-worst is a shootout between Jerry and…Michael Jordan. Their complete lack of vision and general small-timeness in how they operate is incredibly similar.

If the Bulls are ever on the market, billionaires will be fighting each other for the chance. Like the Cubs once were, they are a sleeping giant of a franchise.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#19 » by Mech Engineer » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:32 pm

Yes.. more than the money aspects which has been beaten to death, you need a visionary and a modern 21st century owner. It has to be someone who can grow the franchise and is not risk-averse.

It is not about age but the ability to improvise, implement modern processes and have the pulse of the players and market. It is not like the old times where the owner was a king type.

Every owner meddles. There are plenty of examples of Reinsdorf meddling and so does Ballmer. Both of them are not basketball experts but it is not rocket science for them not to intervene. I don't think that's a big deal as long as they know when to take a step back.

And, this nonsense argument from Bulls fans spouting fear whenever there is talk of replacing GarPax or Reinsdorf because the new guys might be worse is a ridiculous argument. This organizstion has been on a average/below average path for 20 + years when they had all kinds of advantages. Even if the new guys are bad, they will be bad trying new things and will improve which is not the case with the current situation.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#20 » by ChettheJet » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:49 pm

So you know, you look childish believing that some new owner would magically create more revenue and spend more money even if the team didn't win. The imaginary savior would come in and turn everything around because he was rich and had no sense just threw money at the team.

Return to Chicago Bulls