ImageImageImageImage

A case to recruit Melo to the Magic

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Magic4champ
Junior
And1: 237

A case to recruit Melo to the Magic 

Post#1 » by Magic4champ » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:58 am

Usually for a former all star on the downturn of his career in Magic's short experiences with former all stars like Dominique Wilkins and Richardson it has not been good. With our line up already set up for the next season there is no room and salary to even slot in Melo. But if we are a team on a hunt to advance further in the playoffs. I think Melo can still provide the firepower we need from the bench. I know we are already deep in the forward position but he can be our 6th man giving offensive options only T Ross is providing. Okeke will be redshirted gor this year. How about replacing Okeke with Melo this season and see how it goes.

I still remember the strong development of Oladipo when he got the chance to play with Westbrook. He learned how to finish at the rim and increase his freethrow attempts. With our teams weakness being getting to the line. Melo might be our guy to provide mentoring for our toung guns in AG and JI.

I was thinking of giving up on Frasier and give the slot to Melo just in case we needed a slot. I know he is not a Weham type of player. But he surely solves our freethrow attempts problem. He may team up wit Fultz and T Ross to make a solid bench. Accompanied by defensive anchors of Bamba And JI in the 2nd unit.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Re: A case to recruit Melo to the Magic 

Post#2 » by shadrock » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:04 am

Magic4champ wrote:Usually for a former all star on the downturn of his career in Magic's short experiences with former all stars like Dominique Wilkins and Richardson it has not been good. With our line up already set up for the next season there is no room and salary to even slot in Melo. But if we are a team on a hunt to advance further in the playoffs. I think Melo can still provide the firepower we need from the bench. I know we are already deep in the forward position but he can be our 6th man giving offensive options only T Ross is providing. Okeke will be redshirted gor this year. How about replacing Okeke with Melo this season and see how it goes.

I still remember the strong development of Oladipo when he got the chance to play with Westbrook. He learned how to finish at the rim and increase his freethrow attempts. With our teams weakness being getting to the line. Melo might be our guy to provide mentoring for our toung guns in AG and JI.

I was thinking of giving up on Frasier and give the slot to Melo just in case we needed a slot. I know he is not a Weham type of player. But he surely solves our freethrow attempts problem. He may team up wit Fultz and T Ross to make a solid bench. Accompanied by defensive anchors of Bamba And JI in the 2nd unit.

What evidence is there that Melo is willing to try and fit in with a team and just play a role? Is there any evidence that he is even willing to consider a bench role? I feel like you are looking at him purely from a skills and statistical perspective, and totally ignoring the fact that he is arrogant and unwilling to compromise any part of his game at all. He would destroy every part of the team first culture we have created. Terrible terrible idea.

I mean, he wouldnt even consider sacrificing for a team like the Rockets, so what chance is there that he comes here and is willing to do so? Hes another example of NBA players being spoon fed their whole lives and then having their own ego get in the way of their growth.

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#3 » by fendilim » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:27 am

shadrock wrote:
Magic4champ wrote:Usually for a former all star on the downturn of his career in Magic's short experiences with former all stars like Dominique Wilkins and Richardson it has not been good. With our line up already set up for the next season there is no room and salary to even slot in Melo. But if we are a team on a hunt to advance further in the playoffs. I think Melo can still provide the firepower we need from the bench. I know we are already deep in the forward position but he can be our 6th man giving offensive options only T Ross is providing. Okeke will be redshirted gor this year. How about replacing Okeke with Melo this season and see how it goes.

What evidence is there that Melo is willing to try and fit in with a team and just play a role? Is there any evidence that he is even willing to consider a bench role? I feel like you are looking at him purely from a skills and statistical perspective, and totally ignoring the fact that he is arrogant and unwilling to compromise any part of his game at all. He would destroy every part of the team first culture we have created. Terrible terrible idea.

I mean, he wouldnt even consider sacrificing for a team like the Rockets, so what chance is there that he comes here and is willing to do so? Hes another example of NBA players being spoon fed their whole lives and then having their own ego get in the way of their growth.

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#4 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:00 am

He's not even a good player anymore and there's no more minutes to go around at SF/PF. I say hell no.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,179

Post#5 » by cedric76 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:55 am

Hell noooo

We need winners and team players
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#6 » by Furinkazan » Sat Aug 3, 2019 8:11 am

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#7 » by basketballRob » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:03 am

They aren't going to sign him and it looks like he may not get another chance in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Magic4champ
Junior

Post#8 » by Magic4champ » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:10 pm

[/quote]

He deserves a 2nd chance. The Rocket's coach D Antoni had a past history with him when they where in Knicks together. I think with coach Cliff he can be effective with Fultz in the 2nd unit.

The risks is too low with high rewards if it clicks our offense. The narratives of Fultz and Carmelo coming back and making a statement would be huge for us. Imagine the coverage of mainstream media. And comeback kids proving everyone wrong. Just that would make us relevant again in the east.
Magic4champ
Junior

Post#9 » by Magic4champ » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:12 pm

[/quote]

He deserves a 2nd chance. The Rocket's coach D Antoni had a past history with him when they where in Knicks together. I think with coach Cliff he can be effective with Fultz in the 2nd unit.

The risks is too low with high rewards if it clicks our offense. The narratives of Fultz and Carmelo coming back and making a statement would be huge for us. Imagine the coverage of mainstream media. And comeback kids proving everyone wrong. Just that would make us relevant again in the east.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#10 » by shadrock » Sat Aug 3, 2019 12:13 pm

Magic4champ wrote:

A SECOND chance? SECOND? Are you insane? Hes had chances to change his attitude every season for his career, has never once shown any sign that he was willing to sacrifice until he literally cannot even get a vet min deal, now out of desperation he says he will sacrifice. Too late Melo. You had your chance, your ego was too large, you lose. Enjoy China. Off ya go.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#11 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:55 pm

Magic4champ wrote:
He deserves a 2nd chance.

He had that. With OKC then the Rockets. It's obvious he doesn't want to play a small role. Every summer someone says the same thing about Melo, "if he just buys in then...." but that's always the problem. He never does.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#12 » by paperboymafia » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:27 pm

No thanks.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Post#13 » by dsg2021 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:50 pm

Melo gets a lot of undue hate, and he had an underrated, amazing HOF game in his earlier career.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#14 » by Knightro » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:54 pm

dsg2021 wrote:Melo gets a lot of undue hate, and he had an underrated, amazing HOF game in his earlier career.

I don’t even disagree with you, but here key phrase here is “earlier in his career”.

Melo is 35 years old now and has been really bad each of the last two seasons.

No one should sign him. He’s simply not an effective NBA player anymore.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#15 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:49 pm

Melo was a beast scorer and clutch player in his prime. He should come and ball out in Australia or something.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#16 » by OrlandO » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:12 pm

Melo is still in denial that he's washed up... he should either retire or actually buy into playing a limited role off the bench. All he's doing now is killing his legacy due to pride. Reminds me of Iverson's fall from grace. I'd take 42 year old vince carter over melo at this point...
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#17 » by basketballRob » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:39 pm

OrlandO wrote:Melo is still in denial that he's washed up... he should either retire or actually buy into playing a limited role off the bench. All he's doing now is killing his legacy due to pride. Reminds me of Iverson's fall from grace. I'd take 42 year old vince carter over melo at this point...
I thought he was washed up two years ago when AG dropped 40 pts 15 rebs 4 steals on him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,971

Post#18 » by p0peye » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:54 pm

OrlandO wrote:Melo is still in denial that he's washed up... he should either retire or actually buy into playing a limited role off the bench. All he's doing now is killing his legacy due to pride. Reminds me of Iverson's fall from grace. I'd take 42 year old vince carter over melo at this point...

I'd welcome Vince with open arms, but Melo?! Man...

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#19 » by Bensational » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:37 pm

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#20 » by MoMM » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:08 pm

I wouldn't sign him right now, but maybe during the season I wouldn't be totally against it if we notice that our problem is 2nd unit scoring. In addition, it would be better for both sides as he wouldn't need to play a full season.

However, at this point, I'd say I'd try to sign Vince before going after Melo. Carter has already embraced a mentor/bench role and he has an Orlando connection.

Return to Orlando Magic