Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Green Back 4yr/100 extension 

Post#61 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:45 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
BW32 wrote:They better pay him some extra money when he's old and washed up because he did them a solid just now.

I can't believe he hired Rich Paul just to take the extension like man that was unexpected, not complaining tho let the big 3 finish their careers here.

He can have a deal with Lacob for venture capital deals, and coaches contracts are not on the cap.

Not sure what you mean. Player-coaches are not allowed anymore.

He can get a huge coaching contract once he retires to make up for any "lost" money.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#62 » by Samurai » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:43 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
He can have a deal with Lacob for venture capital deals, and coaches contracts are not on the cap.

He can get a huge coaching contract once he retires to make up for any "lost" money.

It depends on your perspective as to whether a coaching contract is "huge" or not. The average NBA assistant coach salary seems to be between $300K and $1M, depending on how much experience and success they have. For a retired guy like me, that's "huge". For a guy who just signed a $100M contract.....
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#63 » by xdrta+ » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:11 am

It's official.

Read on Twitter
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:48 am

Samurai wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

It depends on your perspective as to whether a coaching contract is "huge" or not. The average NBA assistant coach salary seems to be between $300K and $1M, depending on how much experience and success they have. For a retired guy like me, that's "huge". For a guy who just signed a $100M contract.....

Lacob could pay him $3M a year for 15 years to be an ambassador for the Warriors. They could pay him $15M for 3 years. The money for coaches is not public.
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#65 » by iliyanvs » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:59 am

I'd say he got his deserved money. He wasn't a super-max star, but he was a player who didn't want to be more than he is for the Warriors. You don't need to average 20 points to be a championship player, and he proved it throughout his career. Even if he isn't worth 25 mil. In the last few seasons of the contract he deserves to get that money as much as some drama queen "superstars" do for their superior "talent".
I'm content for this contract, also cuddos for Draymond for not being greedy for more money next off-season as he may have gotten a lot less than what he's got now.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using RealGM mobile app
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#66 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:08 am

Nice deal. Really puts into perspective how bad that CJ McCollum extension was a few days ago.

On Draymond's end I don't know... California state taxes alone eat $10m of that. I'd probably have held out for the max next year if i was gonna stay with the Warriors... or just taken the best deal I could get in Florida/Texas or wherever and most likely easily surpassed this net of taxes.

But on the other hand he's older with a lot of mileage. He had a chance to stay on a competitive team and add to his legacy while taking the sure thing "no whammies" money... Cant fault that at all.

Had he signed a max deal a few years ago instead of giving them a hometown discount his max extension couldve been much larger though.

He had a little bit of bad timing. He signed a non-max deal right before the cap leapt and it left him eligible for a small max extension... far, far, far lesser players like Booker, McCollum, Wiggins, Batum, etc are making a good bit more than this...
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,585

Post#67 » by HiRez » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:15 am

This is fantastic news!

I was really dreading this offseason but it’s turned out way better than I ever dreamed it would. Getting Russell for KD walking, resigning Looney at a great price, picking up WCS at a huge bargain, Draymond extended, and a whole bunch of interesting young guys. Super solid moves by the FO especially considering the restraints they had.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:29 am

BigRedDog wrote:Nice deal. Really puts into perspective how bad that CJ McCollum extension was a few days ago.

On Draymond's end I don't know... California state taxes alone eat $10m of that. I'd probably have held out for the max next year if i was gonna stay with the Warriors... or just taken the best deal I could get in Florida/Texas or wherever and most likely easily surpassed this net of taxes.

But on the other hand he's older with a lot of mileage. He had a chance to stay on a competitive team and add to his legacy while taking the sure thing "no whammies" money... Cant fault that at all.

Had he signed a max deal a few years ago instead of giving them a hometown discount his max extension couldve been much larger though.

He had a little bit of bad timing. He signed a non-max deal right before the cap leapt and it left him eligible for a small max extension... far, far, far lesser players like Booker, McCollum, Wiggins, Batum, etc are making a good bit more than this...

I don't understand why people talk about Draymond's contracts like he's getting screwed. He knows full well what he's doing. He WANTS to be a Warrior, and he wants them to be great. Everybody who has worked or played with him say the same thing. He knowingly took less money than he knew he could make ... he had to convince his agents that it's what he wanted. He wants to be wanted, he gets that with the Warriors, he doesn't need every dollar.
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#69 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:33 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:Nice deal. Really puts into perspective how bad that CJ McCollum extension was a few days ago.

I don't understand why people talk about Draymond's contracts like he's getting screwed.

Do you really feel like "Draymond is getting screwed" is an accurate summarization of my post?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:50 am

BigRedDog wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I don't understand why people talk about Draymond's contracts like he's getting screwed.

Do you really feel like "Draymond is getting screwed" is an accurate summarization of my post?

No, which is why I said "people" not you, but you did talk about the negatives to Draymond in this and past decisions.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#71 » by Bayside » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:57 am

Best case scenario. So glad this wont be weight over the team all year. Great news!
BigRedDog
Junior

Post#72 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:18 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

No, which is why I said "people" not you, but you did talk about the negatives to Draymond in this and past decisions.

Well i just think it's pretty clear at his peak he was a top ~10 NBA player... and it's a little harder to accurately gauge where he's at now because Durant forced him to take a backseat and lose some of his playmaking responsibility.

I also get the feeling he relaxed and coasted quite a bit over the last few regular seasons.... i think his step up in performance during the postseason is pretty clear.

I'd be comfortable assuming he's still a top ~30-40 player in this league and could have commanded his absolute max in the off-season.

Normally, I'd be all for taking the guaranteed money. But the 10% CA state tax and the fairly wide discrepancy between this salary and his max next year.... i think he's taking a lot of upside off the table without really eliminating THAT much downside... even with like a torn ACL he's still getting 4/$80 from someone (achilles, perhaps not but who knows)

Again can't fault anyone taking the "Sure thing" when it's life changing money.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,335

Post#73 » by migya » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:22 am

wco81 wrote:As long as he doesn’t get fat again.

Now no incentive to try for DPOY again.

Maybe a good tradable contract for bigger fish in a year or two?

That contact works well whether he is kept or traded. A great signing and good value for a player who is the best at what he does and means more than stats.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#74 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:44 am

Bayside wrote:Best case scenario. So glad this wont be weight over the team all year. Great news!

And this is one of the reasons why Draymond signed the deal. He didn't want the media and team going through next season with the uncertainty.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#75 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:35 am

xdrta+ wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:I wonder if Draymond did this deal because he's already been promised a role in the organization after retirement?

By the time this contract runs out, Green will have banked about $200M in salaries alone. I don't think he's too worried about what he'll do after retirement.

But at the same time, Curry, Klay and Dray all can have the Dirk treatment with the org if they want it any type of role within the org they want is theirs.
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#76 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:36 am

migya wrote:
wco81 wrote:As long as he doesn’t get fat again.

Now no incentive to try for DPOY again.

Maybe a good tradable contract for bigger fish in a year or two?

That contact works well whether he is kept or traded. A great signing and good value for a player who is the best at what he does and means more than stats.

Don't think we'll have to worry about motivation or him being in shape for this season. He coasted last RS because he knew he could coast. He knows he can't this year. I don't think its any issue.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#77 » by superunknown » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:26 am

great signing for both sides.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#78 » by michaelm » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:41 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Bayside wrote:Best case scenario. So glad this wont be weight over the team all year. Great news!

And this is one of the reasons why Draymond signed the deal. He didn't want the media and team going through next season with the uncertainty.

Exactly. Whatever foibles some may consider him to have, no hypocrisy from Dray after he was peeved with Durant’s should I stay or should I go thing in the most recent previous season

Not impugning Durant, he contributed greatly to 2 titles and may well have similarly contributed to a third sans injury, and was entitled to whatever choice he wished to make, but Dray himself is being internally consistent which i find laudable.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,329

Post#79 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:08 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
likemycurryhot wrote:Dubs front office with the low key fantastic offseason. Not only locking up the core but doing it long- term. There’s a lot to be said for stability. We also got a real asset that gives us trade potential and some nice young guys in the draft. Bob Myers really knows how to find that silver lining!

NBA media giving them a C for their offseason. Just keep under-rating the Warriors.

And somehow giving 180 mill to Khris Middleton, 50 mill to Brook Lopez and 30 mill to George Hill, while losing your best free agent (Brogdon) is a B.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
likemycurryhot
Senior
And1: 688

Post#80 » by likemycurryhot » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:44 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
likemycurryhot wrote:Dubs front office with the low key fantastic offseason. Not only locking up the core but doing it long- term. There’s a lot to be said for stability. We also got a real asset that gives us trade potential and some nice young guys in the draft. Bob Myers really knows how to find that silver lining!

NBA media giving them a C for their offseason. Just keep under-rating the Warriors.

And somehow giving 180 mill to Khris Middleton, 50 mill to Brook Lopez and 30 mill to George Hill, while losing your best free agent (Brogdon) is a B.

There's not much more the Warriors could have done right, short of signing the Greek Freak, this offseason. The media trend right now is to underrate them if not outright dismiss them from contention this year. That's fine by me, exceeding expectations is always sweeter.

Return to Golden State Warriors