ImageImageImage

Can Brown/Tatum make leap to all-star level this year?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Can Brown/Tatum make leap to all-star level this year? 

Post#1 » by OldCeltics » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter

There has been plenty of articles about Tatum's off season.
1. Practicing driving to the rim, fighting through contact.
2. Ultra focused this off season about making next step and averaging 20ppg.
3. He mentioned he recruited Kemba Walker to Celtics, so good vibes for team chemistry.
4. He shows up with Stevens at Patriots practice.

https://sports.yahoo.com/skills-coach-provides-encouraging-jayson-201939273.html

Smart sounds like he wants to go back to volume shooting. We haven't heard much from Brown in off season about improvements or parts of his game he's working on.

What do you see for Brown, Tatum, and you can throw Smart in there as well?

Hayward/Kemba will be some level of all-star and border line all-star. How far this team goes in playoffs will depend on Brown/Tatum/Smart making a strong leap, and the bigs situation.

Meanwhile Tacko Fall worked out with the enemy, Joel Embiid. What did people think of that? I'm happy he's getting to work out with an all-star but Embiid despises the Celtics.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,997

Re: Can Brown/Tatum make leap to all-star level? 

Post#2 » by 31to6 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:34 am

What does Hayward ‘being himself’ mean to you?

Where does Smart saying he wants to ‘return to volume shooting’ come from?

Why wouldn’t an undrafted rookie who may or may not make the league play some ball with arguably the best center in the game (and fellow African-born) while on a basketball without borders trip?

To answer your question I think JB and JT could both be all stars within 2 or 3 years but probably neither does, here, until at least Hayward is gone. Had we not brought in Kemba they’d have a chance to make that usage leap much much earlier— now, for this year, I don’t really see it, but I also don’t care about anything but the team doing well and it might.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Re: Can Brown/Tatum make leap to all-star level this year? 

Post#3 » by return2glory » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:22 pm

If Tatum improves in getting to the line, meaning about 6-7 times a game and improves his rebounding and defense, he can be an all star next season.

Brown has to many wholes in his game to be an all-star next season IMO. He needs to get his FT shooting to around 75%, improve on his ball handling, court awareness, and passing.

I’m hoping both Tatum and Hayward get close to all star levels next season and continued improvement from Brown.
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#4 » by mwhis21 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:00 pm

return2glory wrote:If Tatum improves in getting to the line, meaning about 6-7 times a game and improves his rebounding and defense, he can be an all star next season.

Brown has to many wholes in his game to be an all-star next season IMO. He needs to get his FT shooting to around 75%, improve on his ball handling, court awareness, and passing.

I’m hoping both Tatum and Hayward get close to all star levels next season and continued improvement from Brown.

Agreed. If he can't get to the line 6-8 times per game he's not scoring 20 per. He'd have to take 18-20 shots per game without the FT attempts. That means he has to lay off the officials EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

I can actually see Brown having a bigger season than Tatum if I'm being totally honest.

At this point, I could careless about if they make the ASG or not. They have the talent. I want to see them take much larger leaps in development this year. If that means an ASG cool, if not, positive growth.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#5 » by Tiny ball » Sat Aug 3, 2019 7:12 pm

mwhis21 wrote:
return2glory wrote:If Tatum improves in getting to the line, meaning about 6-7 times a game and improves his rebounding and defense, he can be an all star next season.

Agreed. If he can't get to the line 6-8 times per game he's not scoring 20 per. He'd have to take 18-20 shots per game without the FT attempts. That means he has to lay off the officials EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

I can actually see Brown having a bigger season than Tatum if I'm being totally honest.

At this point, I could careless about if they make the ASG or not. They have the talent. I want to see them take much larger leaps in development this year. If that means an ASG cool, if not, positive growth.
I think Brown should have a good year also. I also agree about all star. To me it is just ego thing.. Team basketball.
Roland2000
Sophomore
And1: 359

Post#6 » by Roland2000 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 9:13 pm

31to6 wrote:

Yes. Exactly. WTF is this crap?
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#7 » by ParticleMan » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:58 am

I just want to see the team get back to sharing the ball and taking good shots in the rhythm of the offense. That is Celtics basketball, not the kind of bs we saw last year a lot of the time.

I honestly could give a crap about tatum scoring 20 ppg. I'd rather him score 17-18 on high efficiency. We are not short on guys who can put the ball in the basket. Share the damn ball. I'd much rather see Jaylen and Smart taking open 3's than JT forcing a 20-ft fadeaway.

I actually would rather Brown and Tatum NOT be allstars. That selection is a friggin joke, it's about empty stats and popularity. I want them to focus on team success. That was what was missing last year.
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,615

Post#8 » by Asian Celtic » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:52 am

I actually want at least 1 of Brown or Tatum to be an allstar this year. Kinda instill some alpha mentality in the team which makes it an internal competition to help become better than the other.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#9 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:30 am

Don’t know if Tatum can be an all star this year, but strength, shooting consistency, finishing through contact and knowing when not to settle for a pull up are all big boxes for him to check.

Jaylen, no idea. What’s the best case for this group, that Kemba, Jaylen, Hayward and Tatum all average 16-22 a night? Kemba can play more off the ball and he’s going to try to bring out the best in Brown and Tatum, but.. I think Jaylen probably comes off the bench again, gives an efficient 14-16 a night, shows a little more offensive versatility and creativity but doesn’t make a huge leap to being an all-star scorer. Hope I’m wrong.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#10 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:47 pm

Here’s a Brown workout clip:

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#11 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:11 pm

One will but not both and I’d bet on Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#12 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:16 pm

Both Brown and Tatum have a chance to make it to the Chinese Basketball Association All-Star Weekend in 2021. -- The General Board, probably.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#13 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:23 pm

There's separate questions. Can they make the leap to all star level, and can they make the all star game.

Jaylen's fit on the team isn't conducive to putting up big numbers. Kemba, Tatum, and Kanter are score-first. Hayward is willing to shoot less (as we've seen), but he's at his best when he's scoring. If Jaylen has a good offseason, and improves in key areas (FT%, 3P%, team D)... that'll make a difference in the team's play more than the numbers. So maybe you'd call his contributions all-star level. But the only way he gets the nod for the ASG is if the team is really good and balanced, to the point that the voters choose our guys (like the Hawks a few years ago).

Jayson has a better shot at the ASG. Nationally he's seen as the cornerstone of the team, so if they play well, he'll get the credit. And if they don't play well, he's going to shoot more and have the ball in late-clock situations, so he'll have gaudier numbers. But if he's giving us empty scoring, he could be in the ASG but not playing at an all star level.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#14 » by SichtingLives » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:23 pm

"all star level" doesn't mean much to me but Id like to see Jaylen grow into a reliable scorer who calls his own number and breaks the 15ppg/3rd option threshold this year, assuming he is in a starting role.

Jayson will be as good as his IQ lets him be right now. He is still young only 3rd year so there is no telling when he "gets it" (certainly didn't last year) but he will start making his leaps in growth when that happens. For all we want him to grow into a man body and get to the rim at will, he already has plenty of tools to be a very good/great player he just needs to get a better feel for when to use them. I think a system that features him more will do a lot ot speed up his maturation process. imo kid is ready to be the man he just needs on-job "the man" training now.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#15 » by Soulcatcher33 » Sun Aug 4, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm not really high up on Jaylen Brown as others are. I just don't think he he has the talent to develop the skills to be an all star player. I just don't see it. As an offensive player if he's not scoring he's not doing anything else as he has zero playmaking ability, so considering he will be the 4th option behind Kemba, Hayward, and Tatum it's hard to see him putting up anything near all star numbers. I'd much rather have him just care about playing defense and trying to be what Kawhi Leonard was a few years ago before he started taking breathers on that end because he was doing more offensively. This team doesn't need him to shoot a lot.

I also didn't particularly care about how Tatum was talking about putting up 20ppg. He should just be looking to be a better player and not worrying about some number like that. He's 21 years old and has a long career ahead of him so he needs to just be patient and just continue to work on his game right now and not worry about putting up so and so stat number. If Hayward is back or near to the level he was in 2017 then he should obviously be higher on the ladder as far as shots goes as he's just a much more skilled player than Tatum at this point. It's pretty obvious the Celtics are looking to do something and not just develop Tatum and Brown considering they signed Kemba. If all they wanted to do was just develop them they would never have signed Kemba there. Both these guys need to just relax and continue working on their games and learn from guys like Kemba and Hayward.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#16 » by Ed Pinkney » Sun Aug 4, 2019 9:03 pm

Can they? Definitely.

Will they? It's possible, and I think they both could definitely make that jump towards being considered. The East is not exactly overflowing with All Star level wings so in terms of actually being selected I think there is also a good chance if they play up to potential and the Celtics are winning games.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#17 » by OldCeltics » Sun Aug 4, 2019 11:19 pm

Roland2000 wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Don't get me wrong. Love Smart as a player. He got more efficient last year because he took less, and better shots.

He did a few interviews where he said paraphrased "I took a step back last year. I didn't help the team enough. When we struggled I didn't step up."

Now to me his defense was on par, so it seems he wants to go back to being more of a scorer, have more control of the game.

Which is fine. As long as the efficiency and defense don't dip back down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#18 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:53 am

The last thing Tatum and Brown should be thinking about is making the all star game. There was way too much selfishness on last year;s team: no ball movement, too many ISO's, i.e. guys trying to "create their own shot" instead of running the offense.

I'll take a 55 or 60 win team without a single all star. Carmello Anthony was a 10-time all star and got past the first round of the playoffs exactly once.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#19 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:48 am

OldCeltics wrote:
Roland2000 wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Don't get me wrong. Love Smart as a player. He got more efficient last year because he took less, and better shots.

He did a few interviews where he said paraphrased "I took a step back last year. I didn't help the team enough. When we struggled I didn't step up."

Now to me his defense was on par, so it seems he wants to go back to being more of a scorer, have more control of the game.

Which is fine. As long as the efficiency and defense don't dip back down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

It's also possible he's one of those people who takes team underachievement and personal underachievement as one and the same.

As in, the Celts took a step back and struggled, so by definition Smart didnt step up and do enough. In that context, 'do enough' is just a catch-all tied to winning. I like that attitude, and it's one I try to have in my work life. Other people can say I'm doing well, or stepped up, but any self assessment always includes how the projects I was on performed, and how I could have done more in certain ways.

Continual improvement, baby.

If that attitude leads to him forcing things, and trying to go hero, it won't end well, though, I agree with that.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#20 » by thomas1897 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:33 am

2020 will be a year for the Celtics and Brad Stevens to just do it. Brown has the total tool box of skills on both sides of the ball. Tatum skills are on the offensive side of the ball but can he become a better rebounder and defender only time will tell. The mental aspect of their play will be very important to each player as they develop this year. Can Brad Stevens instill a high achievement level similar players such as Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder. Can Brown and Tatum bring a strong work and mental ethic to training camp and throughout the entire season for 2019-2020. Brown is the sleeper who I believe can be a difference maker. If he applies himself and is mature to handle the tough defensive assignments,rebound and take high percentage shots. He will become the difference maker in games. Weaknesses for Brown can be directed to his mental skills to keep focused and not get lost defending or taking bad shots. Another area is his passing skills should be improved when his shot is not available. Tatum has a different set of skills that are on the offensive side of the ball that can be related to having the ball to create offense. His weaknesses are shot selection, mediocre defense, rebounding and ego.

Return to Boston Celtics