Obvs bro! I am r2d2 up in this piece.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Re: The Shapiro & Rogers Megathread 

Post#703 » by Schad » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:20 am

ratul wrote:
Schad wrote:Sanchez threw six good innings. That's perhaps not enough to declare him to have ceased to be the awful starter that he'd been for three years.

Lol, he threw a no hitter! Fire Shitkins!

He threw 6 IP of a no-hitter, absolutely. That's perhaps not a perfect measure of greatness. In 2012, Philip Humber threw a no-hitter in the midst of an absolutely atrocious season...despite the no-no, he ended the year with a 6.44 ERA/5.77 FIP. This earned him the distinction of probably becoming the first player to be waived in the same year that they no-hit a team.

In 2015, Chris Heston pitched a no-hitter, and then carried another one into the sixth inning a month later. He spent most of the next season in the minors, was traded for cash, and basically never heard from since.

Just three weeks ago, Felix Pena threw 7 IP to close out a shared no-hitter (with Taylor Cole throwing the first two). That earned Pena his first start in three months, and he promptly gave up 8 ER in 4.2 IP.

Throwing 6 good innings does not cancel out everything that came before it, and 6 IP of no-hit ball isn't actually all that rare...it happens a dozen or more times a year. Marco Estrada reached the eighth inning without surrendering a hit three times in 2015/2016.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#704 » by vaff87 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 5:52 am

Aaron Sanchez has been one of the absolute worst starters in baseball for 2.5 years. I can’t believe people are complaining we traded that guy.
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#705 » by ratul » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:59 pm

Maybe we are complaining because we sold low on a beast of a player. Same with Donaldson. It’s just another in the endless sign that we have awful management. You dance with the girl that brung you. If we used shitkins strategy for the raps, fred van fleet would have been a member of the Milwaukee bucks
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#706 » by Schad » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:22 pm

Aaron Sanchez...a beast of a player? That's really where we're at? Look, there are myriad pitchers who had a good season. There's generally only so long that one waits while they are awful before moving on, and we'd waited through three years on the promise of a guy who cannot throw strikes with any regularity. Guys who throw 93 with little command and below-average secondary stuff (and that's when he can throw his curveball at all without getting blisters) are not highly-prized assets, because why would they be?

I don't like the trade because I don't like Fisher, but moving Sanchez isn't going to cost me any sleep. Neither is somehow getting 6 no-hit innings out of an appearance where he missed the strike zone with more than two-thirds of his pitches.
**** your asterisk.
ratul
General Manager

Post#707 » by ratul » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:12 pm

Schad wrote:Aaron Sanchez...a beast of a player? That's really where we're at? Look, there are myriad pitchers who had a good season. There's generally only so long that one waits while they are awful before moving on, and we'd waited through three years on the promise of a guy who cannot throw strikes with any regularity. Guys who throw 93 with little command and below-average secondary stuff (and that's when he can throw his curveball at all without getting blisters) are not highly-prized assets, because why would they be?

I don't like the trade because I don't like Fisher, but moving Sanchez isn't going to cost me any sleep. Neither is somehow getting 6 no-hit innings out of an appearance where he missed the strike zone with more than two-thirds of his pitches.

Lol, delusion is grandeur.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#708 » by Schad » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:19 pm

ratul wrote:[Lol, delusion is grandeur.

That's most definitely not what the phrase is.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#709 » by vaff87 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:19 pm

There's no chance ratul actually watches the Jays, or baseball in general. This is a troll shtick.
ratul
General Manager

Post#710 » by ratul » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:23 pm

vaff87 wrote:There's no chance ratul actually watches the Jays, or baseball in general. This is a troll shtick.

I am pretty sure I have been watching longer than you - albeit I am boycotting currently - so maybe you have caught up to me.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#711 » by BigLeagueChew » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:38 pm

polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#712 » by polo007 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#713 » by dagger » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:15 pm

It's ironic that the management team is perceived - perhaps correctly - with mismanaging big trade chips but they seem to do reasonably well with a couple of the minor chips. Diaz for Thornton, Loup for Waguespack are a couple of deals that at least have turned up good value. The Liriano trades got them Reese McGuire and Teoscar Hernandez, and J.B. Woodman begat Grichuk. Now, none of the players acquired a likely long-term holds once better talent comes along, and all of them were players that their former teams might have lost anyway in a Rule 5 draft. But the value exchange was decent, and considering that such trades rarely return much if anything, just making a couple of them work is an achievement.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,577

Post#714 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Aug 6, 2019 6:08 pm

dagger wrote:It's ironic that the management team is perceived - perhaps correctly - with mismanaging big trade chips but they seem to do reasonably well with a couple of the minor chips. Diaz for Thornton, Loup for Waguespack are a couple of deals that at least have turned up good value. The Liriano trades got them Reese McGuire and Teoscar Hernandez, and J.B. Woodman begat Grichuk. Now, none of the players acquired a likely long-term holds once better talent comes along, and all of them were players that their former teams might have lost anyway in a Rule 5 draft. But the value exchange was decent, and considering that such trades rarely return much if anything, just making a couple of them work is an achievement.

Gonna red paper clip our way to another banner.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#716 » by fbalmeida » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:29 am

Honest questions: Much is often said about how Alex Anthopoulos recklessly dismantled the farm system for an unsuccessful title run, but besides Noah Syndergaard, which of these prospects has made a significant impact in the majors?

Who exactly are these baseballing luminaries that we coughed up for the Derek Fishers of the day?
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Post#717 » by wamco » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:35 am

Agreed. It’s overstated. Boyd is the other one but that took years
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#718 » by Skin Blues » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:31 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Honest questions: Much is often said about how Alex Anthopoulos recklessly dismantled the farm system for an unsuccessful title run, but besides Noah Syndergaard, which of these prospects has made a significant impact in the majors?

Who exactly are these baseballing luminaries that we coughed up for the Derek Fishers of the day?

It's mostly people complaining that we didn't cash in on our veterans. There were a couple other pitchers that we dealt away though, like Boyd, DeSclafani, in addition to Syndergaard. And d'Arnaud, while somewhat of a disappointment, has still put up 10+ WAR since we traded him. I was in favour of going for it in 2015/2016 though because those two years were amazing as a Jays fan. But it did come at a pretty big cost which is why we're going through 3+ years of being a bad team. But again - that's worth it. I'm more interested in seeing the ALCS twice than by being a top rated farm system for 3 extra years.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,577

Post#719 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:36 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Honest questions: Much is often said about how Alex Anthopoulos recklessly dismantled the farm system for an unsuccessful title run, but besides Noah Syndergaard, which of these prospects has made a significant impact in the majors?

I want to preface this with the fact that unlike Schad, I was onboard with the Marlins and Dickey trades to try and get Jose and EE some help, and definitely the 2015 trades that provided us with so much memorable fun. That said, there are a couple issues with this line of thinking. It seems, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you're saying the guys AA drafted or picked up as prospects and then moved have turned into trash. That isn't really a great look for AA's draft record. It's good that he traded them when he did/sold high, but the question then becomes if those guys were worth more at the time than Reyes/Johnson/Dickey/Tulowitzki, and if we should have targeted other players instead.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
gei
Sixth Man
And1: 394

Post#720 » by gei » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:51 pm

Seriously? Who says this?

As I mentioned earlier, AA gave us literally the only 2 years of baseball worth watching from the Jays in the last 26 years.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays