Thunder Offseason Thread Part Deux: Rebuild

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Re: Thunder Offseason Thread Part Deux: Rebuild 

Post#501 » by Old Man Game » Sat Aug 3, 2019 6:46 pm

Currently watching Perry Jones in the Big 3.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#502 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Aug 3, 2019 8:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#503 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:33 pm

I’m not mad about George and love him as a player but if someone attacked him for being a complete scumbag of a person, I wouldn’t disagree. That sentiment is based on more than just the following comments.
After George requested his trade from the Thunder — and pushed to have it consummated within 48 hours — Oklahoma City Thunder general manager Sam Presti lamented the ability of players under contract to talk with and recruit one another without penalty. It is one of many factors the league office is considering.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#504 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Aug 4, 2019 10:36 pm

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#505 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:10 am

This time of year is so boring.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#506 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:15 am

ThunderBolt wrote:I’m not mad about George and love him as a player but if someone attacked him for being a complete scumbag of a person, I wouldn’t disagree. That sentiment is based on more than just the following comments.
After George requested his trade from the Thunder — and pushed to have it consummated within 48 hours — Oklahoma City Thunder general manager Sam Presti lamented the ability of players under contract to talk with and recruit one another without penalty. It is one of many factors the league office is considering.
Something to consider is what should be the penalty. I'm thinking massive suspension. Half the season should do it.

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,126

Post#507 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:34 am

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m not mad about George and love him as a player but if someone attacked him for being a complete scumbag of a person, I wouldn’t disagree. That sentiment is based on more than just the following comments.
Something to consider is what should be the penalty. I'm thinking massive suspension. Half the season should do it.

load management 2.0 :lol:

2 game suspension for each playoff series sounds good to prevent any player to make something stupid. Thing is that it's very difficult to judge when a player is forcing a team to trade him or not. I mean, nothing wrong about PG13 asking to get traded. It all depends on how he did it, what he said etc (threats etc).

I really believe Presti knew things weren't so good with PG13 and Westbrook so I don't blame PG13 at all (maybe if I knew some other details but whatever)
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#508 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:35 am

spearsy23 wrote:This time of year is so boring.

I miss getting draft picks.

Nah, I really want a second good prospect to develop with SGA. Putting all my chips on SGA development is scary.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#509 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 5, 2019 12:48 am

Old Man Game wrote:

To be honest I’m so sick of the player empowerment stuff. I hear this argument of “what other job can you just be traded and have to move your family without warning?” Well if they don’t like it then they should have joined the workforce and tried to get a job where they could make 60k a year and have a cute 3bedroom 2 bath ranch house in the suburbs. Then they could have all the security they want.

It’s in the best interest of the league to get control of this. The only way I can see it changing is if there are changes to the salary cap that prevent more than two max players. Even that is far from perfect.
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#510 » by thor19 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:25 am

when our new players will be introduced? Now that we dont have Patterson, do we sign another player?
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#511 » by Balkman32 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:19 pm

I cant believe Patterson gave back that much money. I guess he wants to play for a winner.

The Thunder are finally under the tax.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#512 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:25 pm

thor19 wrote:when our new players will be introduced? Now that we dont have Patterson, do we sign another player?

I'm guessing not until right before the season. It would be strange to have a press conference for Gallo and CP3 and then they mange to get traded before the season starts.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#513 » by BigRedDog » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:08 am

Would you guys be interested in this deal?

Charlotte gets: Chris Paul(3/$124m), Steven Adams (2/$53m), Danilo Gallinari (1/$22.6m)

OKC gets: Nic Batum (2/$52m), Cody Zeller (2/$30m), Bismayck Biyombo (1/$17m), Marvin Williams (1/$15m) MKG (1/$13m), 1st round pick in 2020

Charlotte benefits: Becomes better team...

OKC benefits: First Round pick, Saves $2m in Year 1, Saves $26m in Year 2, Saves $44m in Year 3. Also improves their own draft pick this year.

Beyond that these are also some pretty useful contracts to try to flip in trades of your own. Marv is still a good defender/shooter and should be a trade deadline target for a contender or quasi-contender. Zeller perphaps could fetch something in a trade a year from now. The Biyombo/MKG deals are expiring this year and the Batum deal is a monster expiring next year.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#514 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:02 am

BigRedDog wrote:Would you guys be interested in this deal?

Charlotte gets: Chris Paul(3/$124m), Steven Adams (2/$53m), Danilo Gallinari (1/$22.6m)

OKC gets: Nic Batum (2/$52m), Cody Zeller (2/$30m), Bismayck Biyombo (1/$17m), Marvin Williams (1/$15m) MKG (1/$13m), 1st round pick in 2020

OKC benefits: First Round pick, Saves $2m in Year 1, Saves $26m in Year 2, Saves $44m in Year 3. Also improves their own draft pick this year.

Beyond that these are also some pretty useful contracts to try to flip in trades of your own. Marv is still a good defender/shooter and should be a trade deadline target for a contender or quasi-contender. Zeller perphaps could fetch something in a trade a year from now. The Biyombo/MKG deals are expiring this year and the Batum deal is a monster expiring next year.

Don't get why we would do that. While CP3 contract has negative value, Gallo could be worth a first if he's healthy and Adams maybe as well in a year. If we trade those 3 players to you guys, your team will be good enough for the 2020 pick to be extremely low, so not really worth it (even if it will cost us a lot to get rid of CP3)

Don't think CP3/Rozier is a nice fit for you guys :)
RalphSampsonJr
Pro Prospect
And1: 584

Post#515 » by RalphSampsonJr » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:13 am

Nice of a Hornets fan to come in and remind us that things could be worse...
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#516 » by Balkman32 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:02 pm

Probably not. But, this is not an awful deal. To get Gallo from the Thunder its gonna cost a 2022 first and a prospect (this is at lease the initial ask). There will be plenty of teams trying to acquire the stretch 4. I wouldn't hate the idea of keeping him as well.

I don't think the Thunder have interest at this time in dealing Adams, unless its a godfather offer.

I don't think CP3 finishes this season on the Thunder. But, I also don't see the Thunder attaching an asset to move him. A team will become desperate to make the playoffs. If that team is in the West they could knock the Thunder out of the playoffs by just trading for CP3.

I do think the Thunder would have interest in taking back Zeller's contract. A deal of Zeller, Biyombo, Williams and Kidd-Gilchrest for CP3 and Gallo works money wise, but the Thunder would still probably want a pick. Plus having $60 tied up at the PG spot between Rozier and Paul is weird.

A Rozier and Zeller for CP3 could also work. The Thunder break up CP3's contract, but the only think scary about Terry these days is that contract.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#517 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:33 pm

That is not near enough compensation for that much bad money. And if you have to put "improves their draft pick" as a selling point, the value's usually not there.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#518 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:32 pm

Balkman32 wrote:

Probably not. But, this is not an awful deal. To get Gallo from the Thunder its gonna cost a 2022 first and a prospect (this is at lease the initial ask). There will be plenty of teams trying to acquire the stretch 4. I wouldn't hate the idea of keeping him as well.

I don't think the Thunder have interest at this time in dealing Adams, unless its a godfather offer.

I don't think CP3 finishes this season on the Thunder. But, I also don't see the Thunder attaching an asset to move him. A team will become desperate to make the playoffs. If that team is in the West they could knock the Thunder out of the playoffs by just trading for CP3.

I do think the Thunder would have interest in taking back Zeller's contract. A deal of Zeller, Biyombo, Williams and Kidd-Gilchrest for CP3 and Gallo works money wise, but the Thunder would still probably want a pick. Plus having $60 tied up at the PG spot between Rozier and Paul is weird.

A Rozier and Zeller for CP3 could also work. The Thunder break up CP3's contract, but the only think scary about Terry these days is that contract.

Gallo has value but not that much. A low first pick is the most we could get in my opinion
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#519 » by BigRedDog » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:34 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:

That is not near enough compensation for that much bad money. And if you have to put "improves their draft pick" as a selling point, the value's usually not there.

I don't really see it that way ... The Hornets are the one taking on the money in this scenario...

Gallo is on a $22m expiring deal and He's still a very good player but he's aging and injury prone. A 2020 CHA mid 1st round pick (with potential to be a lot higher if CP3 gets hurt) is fair value for him... no one is giving up a lotto pick for Gallo on an expiring deal... some teams may be willing to give up a late 1st round pick for sure as he could help a contender...anyway... Gallinari $22.6m (expiring) for Biyombo $17m (expiring) + 2020 CHA First rRound pick is relatively fair, if not advantage OKC (if you are not going to try to compete this year).

Then there's Steven Adams 2/$53m deal that you're essentially trading for 2/$52m Nic Batum... obviously that's a big edge to Charlotte... no question. Batum's only value is as an expiring deal next year... he could be a low end playoff rotation piece but realistically he can't really help anyone.

So all that's left is... Chris Paul who was still a good player last year, albeit a far lesser one than in his prime... who realistically career could fall off a cliff at any minute.. would you rather have his deal (3/$124m) or would you rather have a still semi-useful and tradeable Cody Zeller for (2/$30m), a barely useful Michael Kidd Gilchrist (1/$13, expiring), and a still useful and clearly tradeable Marvin Williams (1/$15m)?

You'd be able to get something for Marvin most likely... prob a 2nd rounder... or perhaps a late 1st rounder if youre willing to eat a little 2020 salary....the same perhaps with zeller a year from now (maybe) when he's expiring... and possibly for MKG this year (but i doubt it).

And get out from under an albatross deal while you're absolutely loaded with draft picks and in good shape to rebuild.

THere's really no point in Charlotte trying to rebuild IMO because they dont have enough assets. They're prob better off swapping their expirings for guys and trying to shoot for 45 wins.

Honestly, that trade is probably about as fair as it gets for both sides. Charlotte fans don't want that deal either. They prefer to rebuild. CP3 won't be easy to move if his play declines, and nearly impossible to move if he gets injured again. You guys are in much better shape to rebuild than we are, why not just commit to it?

I posted i thought you guys were going to be much better than most think this year and people here seemed lukewarm about wanting to win games lol..
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,056

Post#520 » by slick_watts » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:15 am

i'd just try and move gallo for a 1st this year sometime attached to a crap player (bazemore?) and adams for a 1st next year sometime attached to a crap player (batum?) and have two 1sts instead of one 1st and then chris paul has one more year left or is already gone in a trade and i don't have to look at cody zeller's face in a thunder uniform thank you very much.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder