John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: John Wall OUT for 12 months; Ruptured Achilles 

Post#261 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:43 pm

pancakes3 wrote:shoot jumpers

John touches on that towards the end of this interview.

Says he expects to adjust his game and will practice his shooting and taking more floaters

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#262 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Aug 5, 2019 1:34 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255103/John-Wall-On-Wizards-Future-I-Want-To-Play-For-One-Organization

Sounds like John isn't planning to be back until 20/21 season. When do we get a decision on that roster exemption? Time is a tickin!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#263 » by queridiculo » Mon Aug 5, 2019 9:31 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255103/John-Wall-On-Wizards-Future-I-Want-To-Play-For-One-Organization

Sounds like John isn't planning to be back until 20/21 season. When do we get a decision on that roster exemption? Time is a tickin!

I don't think the Wizards will get a favorable decision anytime soon.

There's a chance Wall gets medically cleared before the magical 41st game.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#264 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 9:19 pm

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#265 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 11:28 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

I still can't believe how often the idea of packaging Beal with Wall in a trade comes up. For God's sake people! It makes no sense to do this! It's incomprehensibly stupid. Why do even the smarter analysts like Kevin Pelton and Bill Simmons contemplate this?

And this was one more instance of Thomas Bryant being totally ignored. From the perspective of the media, the Wizards have Bradley Beal and a bunch of guys from the YMCA. Umm, Thomas Bryant was one of the five best 21-and-under players in the league last year. He was better than the top 2 picks of the draft: Aayton and Bagley.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#266 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:00 am

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

I still can't believe how often the idea of packaging Beal with Wall in a trade comes up. For God's sake people! It makes no sense to do this! It's incomprehensibly stupid. Why do even the smarter analysts like Kevin Pelton and Bill Simmons contemplate this?

And this was one more instance of Thomas Bryant being totally ignored. From the perspective of the media, the Wizards have Bradley Beal and a bunch of guys from the YMCA. Umm, Thomas Bryant was one of the five best 21-and-under players in the league last year. He was better than the top 2 picks of the draft: Aayton and Bagley.

Sedano is a Miami homer - I believe he used to be a beat reporter down there or something . He’s the one usually bringing that nonsense up , another desperate Heat fan not willing to accept the team isn’t relevant anymore since Lebron left
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#267 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:15 am

Actually, the only R1 pick in 2018 who you could argue had as good a season as Thomas Bryant was Luka Doncic. That's it. & even in that case it would be easy to argue that Bryant had the better year. Look at the numbers before reacting.

Only 1 player taken in the 2018 draft was decisively better than Bryant -- Mitchell Robinson. &, as you've pointed out, nate, Robinson put up his best numbers playing against backups. Bryant started.

Not bad for a guy I_Like_Dirt called "a tenth man at best" -- a judgement he hasn't yet recanted.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#268 » by keynote » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:54 pm

From this BF article:
John Wall wrote:“I think the difference for me is that I didn’t really rupture my Achilles all the way through, I only had a partial tear. So it’s different from what most people had in the past. I don’t have that long scar on the back of my leg; I have a baby scar.”

I wonder if Wall's surgeon used the minimally-invasive technique pioneered by Dr. Martin O'Malley's colleague, Dr. Andrew Elliott, of New York's Hospital for Special Surgery. I've torn both Achilles: my right tendon has the traditional 3-inch vertical zipper; my left tendon, repaired by Dr. Elliott, has a much smaller 1-inch horizontal scar.

When I visited Dr. Elliott's office in 2017, I was dazzled by all of the signed basketball and football jerseys (Durant, Kyrie, Dez Bryant, Kyle Korver, Rudy Gay) -- only to be disappointed that they were all addressed to his officemate, Dr. O'Malley, who doubles as the Nets' in-house surgeon.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#269 » by FAH1223 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#270 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:19 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

LOL!

That's pretty much how I see it.

John Wall will be capable of playing this season. The Wizards may choose not to play him, but the league knows that Wall could play. That's why there's no injury exception. Heck, Wall could probably play right now if this was the playoffs.

I think the Wizards will play Wall the last 10-15 games of the season just to work off the rust and try to grow confident with his leg. Get through all of that stuff this year so he can hit the ground running next year.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#271 » by Wizardspride » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:29 pm

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

LOL!

John Wall will be capable of playing this season. The Wizards may choose not to play him, but the league knows that Wall could play. That's why there's no injury exception. Heck, Wall could probably play right now if this was the playoffs.

I think the Wizards will play Wall the last 10-15 games of the season just to work off the rust and try to grow confident with his leg. Get through all of that stuff this year so he can hit the ground running next year.

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#272 » by Mojo Amok » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:57 pm

nate33 wrote:LOL!

Yeah, the confidence and comfort he'd gain by playing those last 10+ games would easily be worth the 80% of his salary for momentum going into 2021.

You really don't want him to be away from actual games for 20 months if you can avoid it. Just getting some positive reinforcement, seeing the work pay off and then also identifying what he needs to work on would have to be a big plus. We've already got a huge investment going the next three years after this one, so the cost of the insurance payments this year are pretty minor by comparison.

Hopefully Ted will see it that way.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#273 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:

Yeah, the confidence and comfort he'd gain by playing those last 10+ games would easily be worth the 80% of his salary for momentum going into 2021.

You really don't want him to be away from actual games for 20 months if you can avoid it. Just getting some positive reinforcement, seeing the work pay off and then also identifying what he needs to work on would have to be a big plus. We've already got a huge investment going the next three years after this one, so the cost of the insurance payments this year are pretty minor by comparison.

That 80% check gets paid as long as he misses half the season or more. Ted obviously won't get paid insurance money for the actual games that Wall does play, but he'll get 80% of the salary for the 70 games that Wall misses.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#274 » by Mojo Amok » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
Mojo Amok wrote:

That 80% check gets paid as long as he misses half the season or more. Ted obviously won't get paid insurance money for the actual games that Wall does play, but he'll get 80% of the salary for the 70 games that Wall misses.

Yeah, I understand.

Hypothetically, if the rule was that it a matter of losing the entire $29 million just for Wall playing a little at the end, I don't know that I could fault Ted for wanting him to sit out the whole year. That's a lot of bread right there. But, with how things actually are, $4 million or so for 10+ games? Money well spent when weighed against the $130 million from 2021 through 2023.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#275 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

LOL!

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Wow, I didn't expect to see him look that nimble this fast. Whatever he's doing, keep doin it. It's giving me hope he really could come back close to 100%. But he's donesky for this season. There's no reason to take a chance. Hit the $6 million dollar man music.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#276 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
nate33 wrote:
LOL!

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Wow, I didn't expect to see him look that nimble this fast. Whatever he's doing, keep doin it. It's giving me hope he really could come back close to 100%. But he's donesky for this season. There's no reason to take a chance. Hit the $6 million dollar man music.

If he's looking this good in October, he's going to be as close to 100% as he's going to get by March.

But really, this boils down to John and his doctors. I'm guessing that Wall is going to be itching to play, and his doctors will okay it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#277 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:55 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

If he's looking this good in October, he's going to be as close to 100% as he's going to get by March.

But really, this boils down to John and his doctors. I'm guessing that Wall is going to be itching to play, and his doctors will okay it.

Ok, but they really better keep his minutes down and not give in to temptation in close games. If he gets injured at the end of the season, that would be a PR disaster. But things could work out conveniently. If IT bumps up his value, and the Wiz are able to trade him for something, the trade deadline is Feb 7th, and Wall could be ready to play shortly after that - not that we'd get much for IT - but maybe package him with the 2nd rounder we got in the Sato trade - for a 1st rounder or a young promising player.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#278 » by Wizardspride » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:03 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#279 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:15 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Uh. I think he might be ready.
In Rizzo we trust
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#280 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:26 am

Wall really needs to cut down on those out of control drives when he frequently ends up on the ground. I have felt for years that he should watch tape of Tony Parker. Parker would use his speed to get into the lane but he was a master at keeping his pivot foot down inside.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards