ImageImageImageImage

Timofey Mozgov Signs With Khimki Moscow

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Timofey Mozgov Signs With Khimki Moscow 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Thu Aug 1, 2019 2:45 am

Timofey Mozgov

has signed overseas.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255072/Timofey-Mozgov-Signs-With-Khimki-Moscow

Given how The Magic could very well carry 14 on the main roster next season, it will be like last season as Mozzi sat out the whole season.

It's a shame that he did not play that one game for The Magic but he will be on the cap for three more years via the stretch provision.

I wish him the best in Russia.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Re: Timofey Mozgov Signs With Khimki Moscow 

Post#2 » by Xatticus » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:00 am

That had to have been one of the worst contracts in the history of the NBA.

He was professional and enthusiastic on our bench though. I wish him well.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#3 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:32 pm

Will miss the funny t-shirts.
aka: prorl
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,454

Post#4 » by jezzerinho » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:16 pm

ORL will get some small amount of cap setoff from the fact he signed with someone, but given its equal to half the difference between his deal and the vet min for experienced players ($1.6m), I can't see it being much. He only signed a one year deal and he's injured. Be surprised if he's getting more than a couple of million, incentive heavy.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#5 » by j-ragg » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:25 pm

jezzerinho wrote:ORL will get some small amount of cap setoff from the fact he signed with someone, but given its equal to half the difference between his deal and the vet min for experienced players ($1.6m), I can't see it being much. He only signed a one year deal and he's injured. Be surprised if he's getting more than a couple of million, incentive heavy.

I didn’t know that, interesting. Thought it was only if you sign with another NBA club.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:41 pm

j-ragg wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:ORL will get some small amount of cap setoff from the fact he signed with someone, but given its equal to half the difference between his deal and the vet min for experienced players ($1.6m), I can't see it being much. He only signed a one year deal and he's injured. Be surprised if he's getting more than a couple of million, incentive heavy.

I didn’t know that, interesting. Thought it was only if you sign with another NBA club.

yeah, i dont think they get any money back. plus, he was stretched, so that is different. This isnt like a coach that is fired and gets a new job, so the money owed is reduced.
Nightman
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,056

Post#7 » by Nightman » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:26 pm

Not sure how many people have seen it, but he occasionally writes blog posts about what's going on with his life (though it's been a while). They're pretty insightful and you can tell he's a genuinely good guy: https://scorum.com/en-us/profile/@timofey.mozgov
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#8 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:55 pm

Still a great trade. Mozgov was way better for team morale than Biyombo would’ve been.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#9 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:46 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Still a great trade. Mozgov was way better for team morale than Biyombo would’ve been.

2 2nds for Grant? That trade stunk for Orlando.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#10 » by fklt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm

j-ragg wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:Still a great trade. Mozgov was way better for team morale than Biyombo would’ve been.

I loved it when weltman said how valuable 2nds are in todays league after trading payton.
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#11 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:05 pm

fklt wrote:
j-ragg wrote:

I loved it when weltman said how valuable 2nds are in todays league after trading payton.

He loves them so much he punts them every year lol.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#12 » by drsd » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 am

Mozgov is "the gift" that keeps giving.

Orlando will pay him $5.6M this year, next year, and the year after (2021/22).

To be fair, last year Byombo went 4.4/0.6/4.6 in 14.5 mpg. At a payroll line of $17M. So Orlando actually did save money by trading and stretching Mozgov. That hurts to accents.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#13 » by drsd » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:23 pm

I cannot understand Oralndo's logic in asking for a cap-waiver for Mozgov. He is healthy this year. He is suited up for the EuroLeague.
I guess it never hurts to ask.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#14 » by basketballRob » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:54 pm

The Magic must have some Intel on him not playing again. We probably need a big man coach.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#15 » by ezzzp » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 pm

j-ragg wrote:

The trade removed Biyombo out of the coaching decision. The FO ensured that their first round pick (Bamba) and their promising Euro discovery (Khem Birch) would get opportunity. That alone was worth it in my opinion.

Its also important to note that at the time of the trade, the Magic had six 2nd round picks over the following two drafts + the OKC pick which was likely going to turn into two more 2nds.

They took a low risk flier on a young PG who had been a rotation PG (on bad team) in prior 3 seasons. Grant ended up being terrible in combination with Bamba/Simmons, but it was a cheap way to take a look at him.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#16 » by ezzzp » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:30 pm

drsd wrote:I cannot understand Oralndo's logic in asking for a cap-waiver for Mozgov. He is healthy this year. He is suited up for the EuroLeague.
I guess it never hurts to ask.

He's not on Khimki's roster or listed in the Euroleague's player list

https://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteam?clubcode=KHI&seasoncode=E2019

https://www.euroleague.net/competition/players?letter=M
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#17 » by j-ragg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 pm

ezzzp wrote:
j-ragg wrote:

The trade removed Biyombo out of the coaching decision. The FO ensured that their first round pick (Bamba) and their promising Euro discovery (Khem Birch) would get opportunity. That alone was worth it in my opinion.

Its also important to note that at the time of the trade, the Magic had six 2nd round picks over the following two drafts + the OKC pick which was likely going to turn into two more 2nds.

They took a low risk flier on a young PG who had been a rotation PG (on bad team) in prior 3 seasons. Grant ended up being terrible in combination with Bamba/Simmons, but it was a cheap way to take a look at him.

That's one (unsurprising) way to look at it!
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#18 » by ezzzp » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:24 pm

j-ragg wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
j-ragg wrote:2 2nds for Grant? That trade stunk for Orlando.

Reality isn't that surprising when its not distorted by a defeatist lens that abstracts everything.
j-ragg
RealGM

Post#19 » by j-ragg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:41 pm

ezzzp wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
ezzzp wrote:

Reality isn't that surprising when its not distorted by a defeatist lens that abstracts everything.

Your vision must be super clear when it comes to all things Magic related! No bias whatsoever. Very cool! 8-)
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#20 » by ezzzp » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:58 pm

j-ragg wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
j-ragg wrote:That's one (unsurprising) way to look at it!

Your vision must be super clear when it comes to all things Magic related! No bias whatsoever. Very cool! 8-)

That’s the clarity you get from looking through a lens that doesn’t have trash smeared all over it. :nod:

Return to Orlando Magic