ImageImageImage

Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league.

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#2 » by tmorgan » Mon Aug 5, 2019 7:56 pm

Pretty awesome. Very impressive.

I've never called Gores cheap. I've called him plenty of other things, but not cheap.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#3 » by The_Irony » Mon Aug 5, 2019 8:26 pm

I wonder if this means more players will live closer to Detroit now
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#4 » by Manocad » Tue Aug 6, 2019 12:46 am

The_Irony wrote:I wonder if this means more players will live closer to Detroit now

The Palace and the new facility are only 30 minutes apart. And being that Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham are in between the two, I doubt anyone with a house already in the area is going to be moving on account of the location of the new practice facility alone.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#5 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:12 am

It's kinda funny when Gores appears to actually give a ****.

"Best in the NBA"? Maybe that pays dividends down the road

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by The_Irony » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:16 am

Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:I wonder if this means more players will live closer to Detroit now

The Palace and the new facility are only 30 minutes apart. And being that Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham are in between the two, I doubt anyone with a house already in the area is going to be moving on account of the location of the new practice facility alone.

do you think every player owns a house? alot of the players .. especially the young guys and 1yr 2yr contract players live in apartments.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,927

Post#7 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Aug 6, 2019 12:02 pm

Manocad wrote:

30 miles away, not 30 minutes, especially not lately. I-75. Ugh.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#8 » by Billl » Tue Aug 6, 2019 12:46 pm

We all like to give Gores crap, but this is the type of thing you hope ownership keeps up with. Practice facilities aren't glamorous. They are the sort of behind the scenes investment that fans will never see or care about, but a state of the art facility with shorter commute times is certainly a plus for the players.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#9 » by 440BB » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:38 pm

Although I think having Arnie Kander guiding health issues may be more beneficial to players, having both Arnie and the new facility should be an advantage. The one thing we can offer over sexier destinations is keeping players healthy, which might just give us a chance on a few more free agents.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Manocad
RealGM

Post#10 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:37 am

The_Irony wrote:
Manocad wrote:

do you think every player owns a house? alot of the players .. especially the young guys and 1yr 2yr contract players live in apartments.

That has no bearing on my point in any way. Regardless of what type of home they live in or whether they own or rent it, how many people are moving due to a 30 mile change in their work location?
Manocad
RealGM

Post#11 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:39 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:
Manocad wrote:

Hair splitting
The_Irony
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by The_Irony » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:30 am

Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:
Manocad wrote:The Palace and the new facility are only 30 minutes apart. And being that Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham are in between the two, I doubt anyone with a house already in the area is going to be moving on account of the location of the new practice facility alone.

That has no bearing on my point in any way. Regardless of what type of home they live in or whether they own or rent it, how many people are moving due to a 30 mile change in their work location?

30 miles is quite the difference
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,927

Post#13 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:42 am

Manocad wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:
Manocad wrote:The Palace and the new facility are only 30 minutes apart. And being that Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham are in between the two, I doubt anyone with a house already in the area is going to be moving on account of the location of the new practice facility alone.

Hair splitting

I mostly agree with your overall point. :)

But, I'd just on I-75 in that general direction when I wrote that. It took me closer to an hour to get from about where the Palace is to LCA (though those weren't my exact start/end points). For those readers from out of town, the Palace and LCA are at exit 81 and exit 52 off of I-75, a mostly-straight north-south expressway, the shortest path for a vehicle. There's lots of construction and reduced/narrow lanes along a significant stretch at the moment. I could MAYBE do that drive in 30 minutes in the dead of night with no traffic/cops, but not during daylight on a weekday.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#14 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:22 am

The_Irony wrote:
Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:

30 miles is quite the difference

LOL...no, it’s not. Not when that 30 miles is a stretch between two locations on the same major freeway, and the places most athletes choose to live is already between the two. Where do think the Pistons players generally live? And did you have a pertinent point to make anyway?
Manocad
RealGM

Post#15 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:32 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:30 miles away, not 30 minutes, especially not lately. I-75. Ugh.

Hair splitting

I mostly agree with your overall point. :)

But, I'd just on I-75 in that general direction when I wrote that. It took me closer to an hour to get from about where the Palace is to LCA (though those weren't my exact start/end points). For those readers from out of town, the Palace and LCA are at exit 81 and exit 52 off of I-75, a mostly-straight north-south expressway, the shortest path for a vehicle. There's lots of construction and reduced/narrow lanes along a significant stretch at the moment. I could MAYBE do that drive in 30 minutes in the dead of night with no traffic/cops, but not during daylight on a weekday.

I get what you’re saying, believe me. I work in Troy so I get to deal with the I-75 construction every day. But that does end, and when it does that’s a 30 minute difference between the two locations; it’s not like these guys are stuck with making rush hour commutes only.

Regardless, it’s not like A) all the players live next door to the Palace and now have to deal with a commute that may even touch AN ENTIRE HOUR, B) people move even from a rented place because their commute distance increased by 30 miles (especially not those with the time and money pro athletes have), and C) there’s even a worthwhile point in any of this anyway.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#16 » by Billl » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:53 pm

Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:

95%+ of non-poor people. About 100% of any non-poor people in a major metro.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#17 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:15 pm

Billl wrote:
Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:

95%+ of non-poor people. About 100% of any non-poor people in a major metro.

You honestly believe that 100% of people who live and work in Auburn Hills, for example, change their residence when their job moves to Detroit? That is an utterly ridiculous claim. My guess is you’ve got it completely backwards. People with money own a house, maybe spouse has a career a little bit of a distance away in the opposite direction, kids in schools they like, have a dependable car, etc. are FAR less likely to move over 30 additional miles of commute. Shoot, my job got moved TWO HOURS and 120 miles away and I didn’t move; I got an apartment by my office and came home on the weekends. People without money are more likely to be renting, car not as dependable, and can pick up and move more easily.

Not to mention, the players are ALREADY GOING TO LCA FOR GAMES. What logic supports the notion ANY of them would move because of the location of the new practice facility? That’s completely illogical.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#18 » by Invictus88 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm too lazy to scroll up to figure out why people are yelling at each other regarding a distance of 30 miles.

I would have figured that a thread announcing a performance center / team headquarters would have been one of the least controversial that there could be.

Foolish me :) Yep. It's the Pistons board and the off-season :)
Manocad
RealGM

Post#19 » by Manocad » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:00 am

Invictus88 wrote:I'm too lazy to scroll up to figure out why people are yelling at each other regarding a distance of 30 miles.

I would have figured that a thread announcing a performance center / team headquarters would have been one of the least controversial that there could be.

Foolish me :) Yep. It's the Pistons board and the off-season :)

If there is anything that can be argued—anything at all—I’m on it.
_Und3r][D4wg_
Pro Prospect
And1: 560

Post#20 » by _Und3r][D4wg_ » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:34 am

The biggest & best performance center in the league. Sooo... No more excuses for under-performing?

Return to Detroit Pistons