ImageImageImage

Will Barton Thread

Moderator: THE J0KER

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Re: Will Barton Thread 

Post#21 » by Powder Blue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:04 pm

Barton is on the books for nearly $13/$14/$15 the next 3 years, last year a player option, that's going to be a tough contract to move, he'll need to up his value playing better off the bench.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#22 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:02 pm

Powder Blue wrote:Barton is on the books for nearly $13/$14/$15 the next 3 years, last year a player option, that's going to be a tough contract to move, he'll need to up his value playing better off the bench.

Yeah, tough contract to move but to the right team, add Craig or Hernangomez and it should be doable. Add one of our guards or Plumlee or Millsap and we could get a decent player back. Either way, it has to be the right team.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:52 pm

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/08/10-best-contracts-in-the-nba-today/

When on the T&T board, and other fans deride Barton as having no value; just quote this article.
Will Barton, guard, Denver Nuggets (four-year, $53 million)

Despite an injury-plagued 2018-19 campaign that saw him miss 39 games, Barton remains one of the best values in the Association. Remember, he averaged a career-high 15.7 points while shooting 37 percent from distance in 2017-18. Barton is also a tremendous two-way player in that he can match up against three different positions on defense. This makes his four-year, $53 million deal an absolute bargain.
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#24 » by U hova » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:57 pm

That snippet says Barton is a two-way player and not as in a G Leaguer on a fringe deal...
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#25 » by skywalker33 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Kinda pathetic how NUGGETS Fans ( I’ll tske my share of the blame here) have decimated Barton’s value on these boards when realistically he just doesn’t fit our scheme. Barton is not bad player IMO he has decent iso skills but that’s not conducive to the Joker offense . He’d probably be a boon to several different offenses yet we continue to destroy his trade value because he disrupts our offense
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:55 pm

Will Barton, regardless of Malone's "Open Competition" statement, is the odds on favorite to be our starting SF. With that said, I'd love to see him coming off the bench. Let him come in about 8 minutes into each half and if he's hot, play him till he drops. If he's not hot, pull him after about 4-5 minutes.

Although he occasionally makes a spectacular block, his outside defense usually ends up with him looking at the back of the man as he heads to the basket. Plus, many (most?) of the NBA SFs outweigh Barton by 30 lbs or more. That makes it difficult for him to guard them down low.

His 3pt shooting is 34%, which isn't terrible but 3pt shooting when Jokic is on the floor will open things up for cutters. So he isn't the best fit there. Let's face it, his on the team to score - usually in an ISO situation or on a fastbreak.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#27 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 2, 2019 10:07 pm

I will probably sound cruel, but I want to see Barton traded ASAP!

That is actually the best scenario for both sides, for Denver, and for Barton. He is bad fit for Denver offensive system, and every minute of Barton on the court is stolen minute from the development of Porter and Juancho (and even Beasley). And there is 10+ teams around the league where Barton will be a good fit with full playing time.
skywalker33

Post#28 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 10:23 pm

THE J0KER wrote:I will probably sound cruel, but I want to see Barton traded ASAP!

That is actually the best scenario for both sides, for Denver, and for Barton. He is bad fit for Denver offensive system, and every minute of Barton on the court is stolen minute from the development of Porter and Juancho (and even Beasley). And there is 10+ teams around the league where Barton will be a good fit with full playing time.

Your sentiments aren't alone, but what kind of return to you expect to get for Barton ? Many posters expect the Nuggets to give up draft picks, take on a bad/worse contract or give away a prospect like Beasley or MPJ (which ISN'T happening !!! )

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 2, 2019 10:37 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:I will probably sound cruel, but I want to see Barton traded ASAP!

Your sentiments aren't alone, but what kind of return to you expect to get for Barton ? Many posters expect the Nuggets to give up draft picks, take on a bad/worse contract or give away a prospect like Beasley or MPJ (which ISN'T happening !!! )

Many posters have unrealistic expectations. Realistically? I'm not sure what happens. I believe Atlanta's the only team with cap space (is that an issue? it seems crazy that 29 of 30 teams are over the cap - not much of a cap :wink: ). It seems unlikely that they'd trade anything for a 28 year old even if they like him.

I seriously doubt Denver will trade Porter and Beasley is only slightly more likely to be traded. Most of our team is not likely to be traded or unlikely to draw much interest. Our best bet for a trade is for an expiring but most teams want to keep expirings.

The most likely outcome is that Barton starts the season with Denver and if a team ends up with an injury that makes an opening at a wing slot, they might want to make a trade. The good news is that Barton might be the most likely wing to be traded in that type of situation since Denver has plenty of forwards and guards.

But hey, that's just my opinion and we all know I've been wrong more than once or twice. :lol: :cowboy:
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,777

Post#30 » by TunaFish » Wed Oct 2, 2019 11:23 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Many posters have unrealistic expectations. Realistically? I'm not sure what happens. I believe Atlanta's the only team with cap space (is that an issue? it seems crazy that 29 of 30 teams are over the cap - not much of a cap :wink: ). It seems unlikely that they'd trade anything for a 28 year old even if they like him.

I seriously doubt Denver will trade Porter and Beasley is only slightly more likely to be traded. Most of our team is not likely to be traded or unlikely to draw much interest. Our best bet for a trade is for an expiring but most teams want to keep expirings.

The most likely outcome is that Barton starts the season with Denver and if a team ends up with an injury that makes an opening at a wing slot, they might want to make a trade. The good news is that Barton might be the most likely wing to be traded in that type of situation since Denver has plenty of forwards and guards.

But hey, that's just my opinion and we all know I've been wrong more than once or twice. :lol: :cowboy:

I think it is important to remember that Denver is close enough to the tax threshold that they can stay out of the tax at the end of the year and not have to dump any of their top 13 contract. Injuries are always a factor and having plenty of depth is good. I like Barton out too but I don't want to give up an asset to do it. I think Porter is medically fine and will be in the rotation. That leaves little court time for 3 veterans at sf, so something might have to give.

They don't have to make any trade but they might if someone wants to be moved.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#31 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:55 am

It is kind of funny to me how many view Barton as an offense only guy, when he broke into the rotation and for the 1st couple of seasons he was here all anybody ever talked about was his defense. His defense has suffered the last couple of years, but I think some of that is him trying to be more of an offensive threat when it really is not where his talent level should place him. He should be a 4th option/defender that can iso in the right matchups.

That being said Barton is not going to have much value until he can show that he is healthy and his game was not affected long term from his injury. He reportedly was never healthy and with his refusal to play in the system it was very easy to see. If he plays like he did in 17/18 than he will have value, if he plays as he did early in 17/18 than we need to move him, if he plays like he did at the end than he needs to stay.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#32 » by TunaFish » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Maybe I'm mistaken but Barton doesn't look any different from the end of last season. They must be expecting him to get back to his 2018 self.
Canned in Denver.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#33 » by TunaFish » Thu Nov 7, 2019 10:19 pm

And it looks like Nugget's management was right about Barton, at least for now.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-player-ratings/

Under this formula, Barton is the best player in the NBA. I can't believe I said that.
Canned in Denver.
SkillzFromThe6
Junior
And1: 355

Post#34 » by SkillzFromThe6 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 8:08 pm

Fans fail to realize dude is playing pretty much the same as last year but for some reason they believe he's been balling:

2018-19: 43 GP, 27.7 MPG, 10.7 FGA, .402 FG%, 4.6 3PA, .342 3P%, .770 FT%, 4.6 RPG, 2.9 APG, 0.4 SPG, 0.5 BPG, 1.5 TO, 11.5 PPG

2019-20: 33 GP, 33.0 MPG, 12.4 FGA, .449FG%, 4.3 3PA, .355 3P%, .750 FT%, 6.9 RPG, 3.6 APG, 1.2 SPG, 0.4 BPG, 1.4 TO, 14.4 PPG

Sure, he's put more effort on defense but there's still numerous times I've seen him get blown by, bodied, or shot over the top.

His defensive rebounding is up because Denver asked him to get the defensive board so he can push the pace. That's an empty stat for me.

Nothing has really changed except him getting more shots and minutes.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#35 » by THE J0KER » Mon Jan 6, 2020 2:43 am

SkillzFromThe6 wrote:Fans fail to realize dude is playing pretty much the same as last year but for some reason they believe he's been balling:

2018-19: 43 GP, 27.7 MPG, 10.7 FGA, .402 FG%, 4.6 3PA, .342 3P%, .770 FT%, 4.6 RPG, 2.9 APG, 0.4 SPG, 0.5 BPG, 1.5 TO, 11.5 PPG

2019-20: 33 GP, 33.0 MPG, 12.4 FGA, .449FG%, 4.3 3PA, .355 3P%, .750 FT%, 6.9 RPG, 3.6 APG, 1.2 SPG, 0.4 BPG, 1.4 TO, 14.4 PPG

Sure, he's put more effort on defense but there's still numerous times I've seen him get blown by, bodied, or shot over the top.

His defensive rebounding is up because Denver asked him to get the defensive board so he can push the pace. That's an empty stat for me.

You can't be serious that 12-5-3(ts%50%) and 15-7-4(ts%54%) is "The Same Player", improvement is huge. The problem is that Barton played the best basketball of his life in October and November, but since December he is not that good at all, so we should trade him until his trade value and price is decent. Before December 15.5ppg 57%ts%, since December 13.5ppg 52%ts%, which is a very notable drop, which includes a significant drop in his most impressive offensive stat at the time 3p% which dropped to 28% from a great 43%.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jan 6, 2020 4:26 am

SkillzFromThe6 wrote:Fans fail to realize dude is playing pretty much the same as last year but for some reason they believe he's been balling:

Most of those stats show improvement and add in more effort on defense --- and he has improved!

I still don't think he's a good fit in Denver but he's more than adequate this year. You are correct; too many blow-bys and too many hero-ball moments; but ...
SkillzFromThe6
Junior
And1: 355

Post#37 » by SkillzFromThe6 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:23 am

Read on Twitter

Man, I hate this dude. This is something Dion Waiters or Swaggy P would say.
skywalker33

Post#38 » by skywalker33 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:00 am

SkillzFromThe6 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe they should BS his game day paycheck....why Malone puts faith in this guy is beyond me.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#39 » by THE J0KER » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:52 am

skywalker33 wrote:
SkillzFromThe6 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe they should BS his game day paycheck....why Malone puts faith in this guy is beyond me.

But when it comes to young Michael Porter jr, a rookie with sensational 60+ TS%, even 5 minutes of wild play is a big problem!?
:banghead:
Read on Twitter
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#40 » by Coeur » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:48 pm

I love Thrill Barton but want him off the bench. Right now is the right time to give MPJ the chance as a starter for 20 games and see if it works. Just focus the beginning of games a little more on Jamal Murray getting going

Murray
Craig
MPJ
Grant
Jokic

Harris, Barton, millsap, Plumlee off the bench

Barton gets minutes Murray is off =

Return to Denver Nuggets