ImageImageImage

The Jaylen Nowell Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,699

Re: The Jaylen Nowell Thread 

Post#181 » by minimus » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:00 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:What a gross thread....so little about Nowell's skill set and the actual contract that he signed (I still don't know what the actual deal is) and flooded with personal agendas that should be done on private PM's because they add NOTHING to the quality of this site. It's time to clean this up IMO.

Read on Twitter
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#182 » by Slim Tubby » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:09 pm

Read on Twitter
[/quote]

Thanks for posting that minimus. That looks like a win-win deal for everyone. Nowell makes some really nice coin for a SRP and the team maintains control for the extra three (3) years. Nicely done, Rosas!
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,793

Post#183 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:12 pm

Did we still lowball him since someone drafted after him got more money?

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#184 » by Jedzz » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:53 pm

Klomp wrote:Did we still lowball him since someone drafted after him got more money?

Read on Twitter

Well I'll tell you what, it's about time some of the huge cap money starts trickling down instead of just ballooning the deals of 3 to 5 players of a team. I say it all the time. Imagine going to work as a starter in the NBA for 82 games and two of your fellow starters each make 19 Million more than you per season. It's an absolute joke, and paying second round picks who may be part of the future nothing in comparison and tossing them around like worthless assets is another example.

When you look at the league as all 30 teams, the product as a whole is down right trash and thick with financial lopsided mistakes. With roster spots and playing time clearly decided by and large on how large contracts are, it's no mystery why this league can't seem to pull over half of their teams out of the gutter.

Nowell's deal, now signed is what it is. It's still taking advantage of these players by orders of magnitude.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#185 » by Jedzz » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:02 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:What a gross thread....so little about Nowell's skill set and the actual contract that he signed (I still don't know what the actual deal is) and flooded with personal agendas that should be done on private PM's because they add NOTHING to the quality of this site. It's time to clean this up IMO.

Oh there was plenty being posted about his skillset. But a few people didn't want that, didn't want to discuss that. They don't want us to discuss second rounders period. If you came to the table late you are seeing the end product of what someone like minimus created here.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#186 » by Klomp » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:17 pm

Jedzz wrote:

Oh there was plenty being posted about his skillset. But a few people didn't want that, didn't want to discuss that. They don't want us to discuss second rounders period. If you came to the table late you are seeing the end product of what someone like minimus created here.

minimus didn't create anything here...
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#187 » by Jedzz » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:48 pm

Klomp wrote:minimus didn't create anything here...

That's your opinion—I beg to differ. Not only did he do plenty to aggravate a few people, but then jumped on his own sword and claimed someone cut him. He's pretty much allowed to do anything here. Not the least of which was pulling passive aggressive "there could be blood" threats towards KGbdabom due to minimus' "russian" heritage. It's all one big fantasy soap opera playing out in real time for our benefit. Probably because we had nothing else to think about while Rosas played his power leverage games against his own second round pick.

Now can we get back to hoping Nowell gets more minutes with this team than Patton ever did? Between Nowell and Layman, without these two this team is probably nothing.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#188 » by KGdaBom » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:55 pm

Slim I acknowledge that a lot of what I had to say here would have been slightly more appropriate on the Rosas thread, but it was started here due to Rosas negotiating tactics with Nowell. It wasn't too out of place was it really?
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#189 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:42 am

KGdaBom wrote:

Slim I acknowledge that a lot of what I had to say here would have been slightly more appropriate on the Rosas thread, but it was started here due to Rosas negotiating tactics with Nowell. It wasn't too out of place was it really?

I don’t pick sides, brother...just thought the opinions expressed were well documented long ago and the topic needed a fresh start. And I never underestimate the Armenian Mafia...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#190 » by King Malta » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:58 am

This forum's been becoming increasingly toxic and an overall pretty crappy read lately tbh, which is a shame considering there's still a lot of quality and friendly posters here.

The ignore function helps a little but there's unfortunately a couple of people here who consistently defer to personal attacks and do their best to derail threads into little ridiculous arguments
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#191 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:44 am

Slim Tubby wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I don’t pick sides, brother...just thought the opinions expressed were well documented long ago and the topic needed a fresh start. And I never underestimate the Armenian Mafia...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL :lol:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#192 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:46 am

King Malta wrote:

This forum's been becoming increasingly toxic and an overall pretty crappy read lately tbh, which is a shame considering there's still a lot of quality and friendly posters here.

The ignore function helps a little but there's unfortunately a couple of people here who consistently defer to personal attacks and do their best to derail threads into little ridiculous arguments

I hope you don't think that I'm one of them. I try to never make personal attacks, but discuss points based on merit. I acknowledge I take aggressive stances.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:57 am

KGdaBom wrote:I acknowledge I take aggressive stances.

I think that's what can rub people the wrong way.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,699

The Jaylen Nowell Thread 

Post#194 » by minimus » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:21 am

I definitely could write many things about both KGdaboom and Jedzz, but I don't think I should do it. I could defend my position, but I don't think I should do it neither. I will try to low ball such meaningless conversations in future, sorry for inconvenience.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#195 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:42 am

minimus wrote:I expect Nowell to be our less erratic version of Scary Terry.

I think it's interesting you made that comparison a few times in this thread. One thing Jaylen Nowell has in common with Jason Terry: both Seattle kids.

The Seattle hoops market seems to churn out a specific, productive brand of player. Especially in its guards. Jason Terry, Zach LaVine, Brandon Roy, Dejounte Murray, Aaron Brooks, Nate Robinson, Doug Christie, Jamal Crawford. All from the Seattle metro area, all carved out very productive NBA careers.

Don't get me wrong, Seattle has its share of busts like any other city. Marvin Williams, Spencer Hawes and Martell Webster come to mind. But the ratio of good to bust is pretty favorable among Seattle guards and it's nice to have Nowell in our back pocket on a minimal deal.

Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#196 » by Battletrigger » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:46 am

King Malta wrote:

Totally agree. I usually read and no post, I have little time to watch NBA these days. But lately there are too many empty post from flooder posters.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#197 » by Macwolf527 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:49 pm

Battletrigger wrote:Totally agree. I usually read and no post, I have little time to watch NBA these days. But lately there are too many empty post from flooder posters.

Ditto! With some of the other boards (Rubechat(KFAN), Twolvescentral), shutting down in recent years, I really look to this board to share quality discussions with Timberwolves fans abroad. But it's obvious that specific people have another agenda that goes beyond sharing new information and valued opinions on our favorite team. I can deal with people disagreeing with me, and in all honesty, I look forward to hearing differing opinions that challenge my thinking. But because I'm up there in age, I don't care too much for behavior I consider childish and immature. Its too easy to just say, "I DISAGREE", and offer up your analysis. And it can be done without making personal or demeaning comments on another person's thought process. Let's clean it up and make it FUN again, the season will be upon us real soon.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#198 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:26 pm

Klomp wrote:

I don't care to be political regarding what I see. I prefer honesty. If that rubs some wrong so be it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:39 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I don't care to be political regarding what I see. I prefer honesty. If that rubs some wrong so be it.

Not saying you have to change your opinions. Just think the aggressive tone behind your posts can be toned down a little. I appreciate your passion, but sometimes it gets turned towards a certain poster rather than just arguing basketball and that's where things derail.

GI_Slow
Pro Prospect
And1: 381

Post#200 » by GI_Slow » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:25 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:I expect Nowell to be our less erratic version of Scary Terry.

I think it's interesting you made that comparison a few times in this thread. One thing Jaylen Nowell has in common with Jason Terry: both Seattle kids.

The Seattle hoops market seems to churn out a specific, productive brand of player. Especially in its guards. Jason Terry, Zach LaVine, Brandon Roy, Dejounte Murray, Aaron Brooks, Nate Robinson, Doug Christie, Jamal Crawford. All from the Seattle metro area, all carved out very productive NBA careers.

Don't get me wrong, Seattle has its share of busts like any other city. Marvin Williams, Spencer Hawes and Martell Webster come to mind. But the ratio of good to bust is pretty favorable among Seattle guards and it's nice to have Nowell in our back pocket on a minimal deal.

Most of those guards you listed are well defined combo guards, so if Nowell is that, I'd tend to believe he should fit like a glove beside Culver. The one question I've got (because I don't watch college) is if Jaylen is a good or above average defender for his position, as Rosas is trying to build an intriguing model of versatile players, it'd be a problem if we had a traffic cone at the 1 defensively.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves