ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#641 » by crkone » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:58 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:My mom worked at Midwest for a long time and we took many free trips. It'll always have a place in my heart.

Also, damn a fish fry sounds good right about now.

You can probably get a fish fry at your local Kwik Trip.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#642 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:00 pm

I've had maybe 30 different fish fries in my life and only three were worth returning for. Despite their ubiquitous nature, a really excellent fish fry is **** rare.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,861

Post#643 » by jschligs » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I've had maybe 30 different fish fries in my life and only three were worth returning for. Despite their ubiquitous nature, a really excellent fish fry is **** rare.

I'm not a huge fish guy and haven't found many fish fries I like, but the fish & chips in London was unreal and I ate it daily while I was studying there.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#644 » by crkone » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:29 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I've had maybe 30 different fish fries in my life and only three were worth returning for. Despite their ubiquitous nature, a really excellent fish fry is **** rare.

Ehh there are great fish fries in MKE on every side of town, no more than 10 minutes in any direction. Bavaria itself had an awesome homemade coleslaw with the fish fry.

https://onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/milwaukeefishfryguide.html

I think they could've done so much more with the restaurant. The area right there is missing a non-theme based small plate restaurant, other than the tiny Lucky Joes down the block. There's also no Middle Eastern, Indian, Brazilian, or Asian Fusion in the area. Now we get craft casseroles.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#645 » by jute2003 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:34 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'll wait until it opens and I eat there to decide whether it's good or not. :)

basically, the condensed and more succinct version of my thoughts....

Without seeing the menu or trying the food...who **** knows
only a fan, only an opinion
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#646 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:48 pm

Agreed, but I've had very few "bad" fish fries. Or maybe I've just wiped them from memory. But usually it seems like they're at least passable. The best I've had is Johnny Manhattan's in Germantown.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#647 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:21 pm

It's hard for a restaurant to screw up fried food - including fish - unless they're really **** negligent - i.e. using disgusting ingredients or rancid oil.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#648 » by jute2003 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:24 pm

humanrefutation wrote:It's hard for a restaurant to screw up fried food - including fish - unless they're really **** negligent - i.e. using disgusting ingredients or rancid oil.

You mean you don't like it when your cheesecurds taste like fish because they didn't replace the oil after friday night?
only a fan, only an opinion
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#649 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:32 pm

jute2003 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:It's hard for a restaurant to screw up fried food - including fish - unless they're really **** negligent - i.e. using disgusting ingredients or rancid oil.

You mean you don't like it when your cheesecurds taste like fish because they didn't replace the oil after friday night?

That's the kind of place you shouldn't go back to because you never know what other shortcuts they're taking in the kitchen.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#650 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:29 pm

I don't think I agree with that. I've had loads of bad fries, poppers, wontons, fish, curds, chicken, etc. I'd say the majority of the time the bad outweighs the good, which I why once I find a great spot I usually stick to it for certain items.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#651 » by emunney » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:34 pm

I agree with RS here, most places fry the living **** out of everything.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,085

Post#652 » by DingleJerry » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:45 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Yeah, I think John Mayer is quite a bit different/in a different genre than some think or remember.

Yup. I went too. He's not just a love songs for chicks as the stereotype might be. Guy is probably legit one of the best guitar players in the world. Plays a wide variety of styles of music. Harder/faster rock, country, reggae, folksy, he reallys covers all areas and then have to give him credit for writing it all and being able to play guitar incredibly.

For the sit up stand up. Yea sometimes you just have that person who refuses to sit. Generally, I think you should abide by what everyone around you does. For example, from what I saw the floor seats were all standing. I was first row of second deck. Everyone in my section was sitting. Except a couple maybe 6 seats to my right, who insisted on standing the whole time. Which led to the people immediately behind them move, then everyone behind that stand up. So two columns in the middle of section. That couple in the first row should've just sat down after a bit.

I was at a UW at Iowa game 5ish years ago sitting in the UW section. It's a thing for the Iowa fans to stand the whole game. So, of course there is one Iowa fan in this section and he's a taller and fatter guy as well, big dude in general. Insists on standing the whole time. Initially people let it go as it's early in the game. Eventually he's politely asked to sit and he just smugly says to everyone that "I prefer to stand". Eventually it just keeps getting more and more hostile. He gets shouted at, he shouts back, etc. Basically they're inches away from a brawl over it before security steps in. He continues to stand for awhile because he doesn't want to back down and be told what to do. By late in the game we had a comfortable lead but not a blow out or anything and then he sits down and leaves shortly after. Just sit down man, you're just trying to create a fight.

Fish fries: it's possible to be bad. Ones that are way overbreaded and overfried are just not good.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#653 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

I don't think I agree with that. I've had loads of bad fries, poppers, wontons, fish, curds, chicken, etc. I'd say the majority of the time the bad outweighs the good, which I why once I find a great spot I usually stick to it for certain items.

That's because they're using **** ingredients, **** oil, and/or a really **** cook (and even a **** cook can fry things reasonably well if they know how to read a thermometer and follow a timer).

Frying food is the easiest, simplest thing to do, especially for a restaurant with a restaurant-grade deep fryer. A place that can't do that well isn't worth eating at, IMO. It's such a low bar for a restaurant that if they're not doing that at least decently, then I shudder to think how they'd handle anything more complicated.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,587

Post#654 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:35 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

That's because they're using **** ingredients, **** oil, and/or a really **** cook (and even a **** cook can fry things reasonably well if they know how to read a thermometer and follow a timer).

Frying food is the easiest, simplest thing to do, especially for a restaurant with a restaurant-grade deep fryer. A place that can't do that well isn't worth eating at, IMO. It's such a low bar for a restaurant that if they're not doing that at least decently, then I shudder to think how they'd handle anything more complicated.

I kind of agree with you both. I think the difference is this: you may be able to baseline fry a cut piece of potato to make a fry. Cool. It's probably good or at least decent. Good ingredient, clean oil, you didn't screw it up.

But that doesn't make the fry great. And fries are maybe a bad example because of how mindnumbingly easy they are (you literally just fry potatoes without batter). But maybe you're adding something to the batter, maybe you're tenderizing, use the right amount of batter and fry the appropriate time and at the right temp.

Literally dropping something into the fryer is simple, and you can do that with cod and a simple batter. But maybe a great fish fry for RS is when a place really takes it to the next level with a super-secret lighter batter and a quick fry that results in something really light, or double-fried for crunch. Or for fries, maybe par boiling them before frying. Etc.
emunney
RealGM

Post#655 » by emunney » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:39 pm

I think the common ground here is that frying food is easy to do if you're paying attention, and many fry cooks are not. I wouldn't say you have to be *really* negligent, just the normal amount of negligent that most people naturally are.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#656 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:07 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I kind of agree with you both. I think the difference is this: you may be able to baseline fry a cut piece of potato to make a fry. Cool. It's probably good or at least decent. Good ingredient, clean oil, you didn't screw it up.

But that doesn't make the fry great. And fries are maybe a bad example because of how mindnumbingly easy they are (you literally just fry potatoes without batter). But maybe you're adding something to the batter, maybe you're tenderizing, use the right amount of batter and fry the appropriate time and at the right temp.

Literally dropping something into the fryer is simple, and you can do that with cod and a simple batter. But maybe a great fish fry for RS is when a place really takes it to the next level with a super-secret lighter batter and a quick fry that results in something really light, or double-fried for crunch. Or for fries, maybe par boiling them before frying. Etc.

Definitely agree that there are people who can take frying food to a higher level by using quality ingredients and good recipes. A place that does that is worth identifying and returning to. I guess my point is that the bar is low for "decent" fried food. If you can't cross that bar, you should close up shop, IMO.

Many pubs/restaurants rely heavily on frozen/precut foods that they're simply dumping into the fryer, including all of the fast food places. They'll buy these gigantic bags of frozen fries, frozen onion rings, frozen mozza sticks, frozen mushrooms, frozen chicken tenders, etc, and that'll be their entire appetizer menu (you can tell by the uniformity you'll see in the items as they're delivered to the table). There's nothing especially challenging about cooking that food as long as you're competent. It doesn't require a good recipe, quality prep work, or thorough training.

Obviously, isn't going to meet the standard of someone looking for an outstanding, freshly-battered fried food (especially people who want freshly-battered chicken/fish), but it isn't necessarily terrible as long as they're using quality frozen foods instead of the cheapest you can find; changing the oil and cleaning the fryer on with some level of regularity; and hiring basically competent staff.

When I go to a place that **** that up, I'm not going back. It'll make me wonder what kind of other issues are in the kitchen.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,587

Post#657 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:51 pm

I really appreciate the level of detail and conversation we can get into over fried food. This is peak offseason.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#658 » by RiotPunch » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:31 pm

I generally don't care for pickles, but I love deep-fried pickles. That's all I got.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,821

Post#659 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:52 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Midwest Express is back.

Are they bringing back comfy seats, decent leg room, and freshly baked cookies? Otherwise GTFO.

I get irrationally angry when someone brings this up.
1.) You are an adult. You don't need cookies on a 2-hr flight
2.) If you are fortunate enough to be paying hundreds of dollars to fly on a chair through the air. A.) Congrats. B.) You are more than capable to buy cookies or whatever snack you want from the shops before you board for a couple bucks.

Seats? I get. But cookies? It's like going to a Hamilton and being like "I love Hamilton. They have the best programs" It's not even in the top 25 things I would care about on a plane.
emunney
RealGM

Post#660 » by emunney » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:53 pm

This guy hates cookies! Get him!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks