ImageImageImage

Iowa Wolves/G League talk

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Re: Iowa Wolves/G League talk 

Post#281 » by TheDominator273 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:47 am

old school 34 wrote:Battle should probably be on that list because of the contract he signed with us...I believe locks him into the G-league team even if he doesn't upgrade to the other 2-way deal out there.
[

What type of contract is that? As far as I'm aware a player either needs to be in their first 3 years in the league, consent to being on the G League team, or on a 2 way contract. All other players on the G League team are drafted in the dispersal draft to fill out all rosters.

The last point there is something that absolutely needs to change, the parent club needs to be in full control over the G League roster and have multi year deals for players. If they want the league to be used as a developmental league it has to be treated as such and not in the manner they currently use.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#282 » by minimus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:10 am

Klomp wrote:
Klomp wrote:"The big focus for us is playing. Guys only improve when they're playing. So our young guys, they know what's being expected of them.....and they're either going to be playing in the NBA or playing in the G League. That's how you get better. The reality is, we'd love to have young guys surprise us and be here on this stage helping our team win, but it's up to them...and then it's up to us in how we support them and how we develop them. That could be in the G League or in Minnesota...in games, in practices, in individual workouts. It's a major part of who we are here." -Gersson Rosas

With the G League being such a big part of the roster development here, I thought it'd be wise to post a list of players who could possibly spend time in Iowa (most of these obviously won't because they'll be fixtures in Minnesota).

Jarrett Culver
Jaylen Nowell
Josh Okogie
Keita Bates-Diop
Naz Reid
Tyrone Wallace
Jordan Bell

Players in their first, second and third seasons can be on a G League assignment at any time. Players in their fourth season or later can still be assigned to the G League with the player's consent.

KAT/Bell/Vonleh/Dieng
KBD/Vonleh/Layman
RoCo/Layman/Culver
Wiggins/Okogie/Nowell
Teague/Culver/Wallace

That is 14 players. One two-way contract Reid. It is way too early, but after SL games I would add these guys:

1) Kelan Martin on second two-way contract. I am surprised by his shooting in SL.
2) Cristian Woods multiyear min deals with non guaranteed 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.
Read on Twitter

+ Barry Brown Jr as gleague starting PG
+ Jordan Murphy as gleague starting PF
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#283 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:07 pm

minimus wrote:KAT/Bell/Vonleh/Dieng
KBD/Vonleh/Layman
RoCo/Layman/Culver
Wiggins/Okogie/Nowell
Teague/Culver/Wallace

That is 14 players. One two-way contract Reid.

We have Treveon Graham too.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#284 » by minimus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:KAT/Bell/Vonleh/Dieng
KBD/Vonleh/Layman
RoCo/Layman/Culver
Wiggins/Okogie/Nowell
Teague/Culver/Wallace

That is 14 players. One two-way contract Reid.

We have Treveon Graham too.

Napier and Graham... We don't have a free spot...
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#285 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:20 am

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#286 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:22 am

Bold prediction: McLaughlin / Okogie / Martin / Bates-Diop / Reid will be the starting lineup for at least one Iowa game this year.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#287 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:37 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Bold prediction, but I don't believe Okogie will spend one minute there.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#288 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:41 am

KGdaBom wrote:Bold prediction, but I don't believe Okogie will spend one minute there.

Very possible. I think it depends on the development he's made over the summer. Personally, I didn't see enough improvement from him in Vegas for me to be 100% confident that he'll be a regular rotation player.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,652

Post#289 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:44 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Bold prediction, but I don't believe Okogie will spend one minute there.

Very possible. I think it depends on the development he's made over the summer. Personally, I didn't see enough improvement from him in Vegas for me to be 100% confident that he'll be a regular rotation player.

I think Okogie is the type of player who will look better playing with the actual NBA talent than playing with the scrubs. We will see how he looks when the season rolls around.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#290 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:47 am

KGdaBom wrote:I think Okogie is the type of player who will look better playing with the actual NBA talent than playing with the scrubs.

Good point I hadn't considered.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#291 » by Jedzz » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:35 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

This was a good choice given what he was showing in SL. Of course it's SL, but he was solid the whole time.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#292 » by Killboard » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:53 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

This was a good choice given what he was showing in SL. Of course it's SL, but he was solid the whole time.

6'7 with a 7'3 wingpsan (was the best rebounder in the summer league roster) and has a quick and high release (over 640 3pt attemtps in college while being .348 from there. Solid pick up and would not be surprised if leapfrogs KBD (Martin is just 5 months older).
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#293 » by old school 34 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:15 pm

Killboard wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

6'7 with a 7'3 wingpsan (was the best rebounder in the summer league roster) and has a quick and high release (over 640 3pt attemtps in college while being .348 from there. Solid pick up and would not be surprised if leapfrogs KBD (Martin is just 5 months older).
I like the signing and like said... just SL, but he played consistently well & glad that he was rewarded for it.

While Okogie & KBD were both good draft picks & showed something last year....it's not bad @ having guys like Martin & Nowell (similar sized guys) coming in a year behind them that may both be better shooters than each of them....the more competition you can create will pay dividends down the road.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#294 » by old school 34 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:22 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think Okogie is the type of player who will look better playing with the actual NBA talent than playing with the scrubs.

Good point I hadn't considered.
If this bold prediction were to happen....it may mean that Nowell exceeded expectations sooner than later as well?

Okogie does look better with better players around him, but now that we have a significant amount of wings actually on roster....I do think there's scenarios that Okogie loses significant PT if the shot doesn't come around & those stretches come back where he plays a little Shabazz-like where he starts to force to much & kind pre-determines some of his dribble drive stuff? I'm curious to see how the wing rotation stuff really plays out and how each individual player responds?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#295 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 9:30 pm

old school 34 wrote:If this bold prediction were to happen....it may mean that Nowell exceeded expectations sooner than later as well?

I wasn't factoring Nowell into the NBA rotation in this prediction. He'd be in Iowa too.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#296 » by Jedzz » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:21 pm

Klomp wrote:
old school 34 wrote:If this bold prediction were to happen....it may mean that Nowell exceeded expectations sooner than later as well?

I wasn't factoring Nowell into the NBA rotation in this prediction. He'd be in Iowa too.

Boo. Needs to play soon. Adding Culver to Iowa as well?
Washington's Jaylen Nowell prepares for the upcoming NBA draft after a strong career with the Huskies. As the 2019 Men's Basketball Player of the Year, Nowell led Washington to its first NCAA Tournament berth since 2011 and finished at 15th in assists with 3.1 per game and 18th in rebounding with 5.4 per game. Nowell also shot better than 50 percent from the field, finishing at 11th in Pac-12 at .504 and 40 percent behind the arc. He became just the ninth underclassman to earn the Player of the Year award.

[url][/url]
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#297 » by Klomp » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:36 pm

Jedzz wrote:Boo. Needs to play soon. Adding Culver to Iowa as well?

It's just simple math. Saunders has said we'll probably use a 9 or 10-man rotation. Rosas has said young guys will be playing, whether in the NBA or in Iowa. They won't be rotting on the bench.

Primary: Teague, Napier / McLaughlin
Wings: Wiggins, Covington, Layman, Culver, Okogie, Graham / Nowell, Bates-Diop, Martin
Bigs: Towns, Bell, Vonleh, Dieng / Reid
(italics in Iowa)

That's already an easy 10 without the Iowa guys with two primary ballhanders, five wings and three bigs. Okogie is on the fringe imo as the fifth wing, but we have a vet in Graham for emergencies too. If we use 9 guys, Josh might be out of the rotation.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#298 » by Jedzz » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:26 am

Klomp wrote:

It's just simple math. Saunders has said we'll probably use a 9 or 10-man rotation. Rosas has said young guys will be playing, whether in the NBA or in Iowa. They won't be rotting on the bench.

Wings: Wiggins, Covington, Layman, Culver, Okogie, Graham / Nowell, Bates-Diop, Martin
(italics in Iowa)

That's already an easy 10 without the Iowa guys with two primary ballhanders, five wings and three bigs. Okogie is on the fringe imo as the fifth wing, but we have a vet in Graham for emergencies too. If we use 9 guys, Josh might be out of the rotation.

I think they need to find Graham a new team before the season starts. There is definitely a slight overload and that's positive for Iowa, and also means competition for roles now if they let everyone compete. I am a proponent of vets. I'm guessing he's got a backer in one of the new coaches or assistants that like him. But i wasn't enthusiastic about what I saw in Graham's stats from last year. I just think if we are going to give Culver minutes they need to give everyone a shot at a chance, all these youngsters. The Wiggins lesson must be learned by this franchise. Play the players that are ready. The players that really need to develop skills yet should be developed under less pressure. Math I'm fine with. Money math ruling playing decisions not so much.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#299 » by Klomp » Fri Aug 9, 2019 5:30 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:

(italics in Iowa)

I think they need to find Graham a new team before the season starts. There is definitely a slight overload and that's positive for Iowa, and also means competition for roles now if they let everyone compete. I am a proponent of vets. I'm guessing he's got a backer in one of the new coaches or assistants that like him. But i wasn't enthusiastic about what I saw in Graham's stats from last year. I just think if we are going to give Culver minutes they need to give everyone a shot at a chance, all these youngsters. The Wiggins lesson must be learned by this franchise. Play the players that are ready. The players that really need to develop skills yet should be developed under less pressure. Math I'm fine with. Money math ruling playing decisions not so much.

Of course young guys will be given a chance, I've never argued otherwise. But I don't think Nowell will be ready to contribute out of the gate, and that has nothing to do with Graham. Developing under less pressure, that's what Iowa will be used for.

The reason I brought up Graham (or you could insert Wallace or someone else here if you wish) is for emergency purposes, say there was a rash of injuries or foul trouble in a game. Those circumstances might cause another coach to keep young guys like Nowell with the NBA club at the end of the bench for depth purposes in case that scenario was to play out. But in my scenario, Graham (or whoever) would just be needed to get through the current game. Reinforcements could be called in from Iowa after the game if needed.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#300 » by Jedzz » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I think they need to find Graham a new team before the season starts. There is definitely a slight overload and that's positive for Iowa, and also means competition for roles now if they let everyone compete. I am a proponent of vets. I'm guessing he's got a backer in one of the new coaches or assistants that like him. But i wasn't enthusiastic about what I saw in Graham's stats from last year. I just think if we are going to give Culver minutes they need to give everyone a shot at a chance, all these youngsters. The Wiggins lesson must be learned by this franchise. Play the players that are ready. The players that really need to develop skills yet should be developed under less pressure. Math I'm fine with. Money math ruling playing decisions not so much.

Of course young guys will be given a chance, I've never argued otherwise. But I don't think Nowell will be ready to contribute out of the gate, and that has nothing to do with Graham. Developing under less pressure, that's what Iowa will be used for.

The reason I brought up Graham (or you could insert Wallace or someone else here if you wish) is for emergency purposes, say there was a rash of injuries or foul trouble in a game. Those circumstances might cause another coach to keep young guys like Nowell with the NBA club at the end of the bench for depth purposes in case that scenario was to play out. But in my scenario, Graham (or whoever) would just be needed to get through the current game. Reinforcements could be called in from Iowa after the game if needed.

Let's be honest about Graham's proven stats so far. He barely played much at first but had interesting numbers when he did. However last season when he got more minutes all of his numbers plummeted to a level I'm not comfortable with. When I think about veteran players and being positive about their additions, I'm also attributing Pro level skills to be expected from them and that includes shooting at least in NBA average zones. The examples we had last two seasons were what I'm happy with from Veteran rotation guys. Graham/Wallace aren't at that level that I can see by the numbers. I don't know what more we can expect. Maybe the coaches see more. How is there much hope in how they "fill in"?

Just as you are automatically assuming Culver can be in the rotation, and some claim even start, so too do I believe Nowell is near the same level. They both bring a wide range of skills they can already play with. These are things Wiggins and Okogie for example may still not have down and ready. Having the skills lets them fit in better with anything. So maybe you could elaborate on what it is you think Nowell is missing that someone like Culver isn't missing to deserve a shot in the games now? What in your mind makes Nowell a weakness if he should have an opportunity to just fill in, or even be part of a deep rotation? Is there something specific? Or are you just saying there are bodies in his way? If we actually have much better players, then Culver and Nowell should both go to Iowa for a while as the balance proves they are that good.

If Sounders locks this roster down to 9 guys all season I'm going to be starting the chants for his successor. I don't care who's idea it is. If we end up having to watch 3 players who can't shoot at NBA starting levels for 35-38 minutes per game again all season the team's leadership should be dragged out in the street and stomped on. Layman, Nowell and possibly Culver have a chance to be better than what we've had.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves