ImageImage

Signed By Boston - The Kemba Free Agency Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Most likely scenario:

Kemba re-signs with us the moment free agency opens.
13%
Kemba signs with someone else the moment free agency opens.
45%
Kemba re-signs with us within 1-3 days of free agency opening.
13%
Kemba signs with someone else within 1-3 days of free agency opening.
23%
Kemba re-signs with us within 3-7 days of free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba signs with someone else within 3-7 days of free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba re-signs with us a week+ after free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba signs with someone else a week+ after free agency opening.
6%

Total votes: 47

stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Re: Signed By Boston - The Kemba Free Agency Thread 

Post#981 » by stinger14 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:23 am

I'm not necessarily upset about not resigning Kemba as this team was going nowherre...

What I am upset about:

1. You know you can't resign him, so trade him for assets for a rebuild...**** the all star game BS, it's an exhibition game where real basketball isnt even played.

2. Lowballing him on an offer looks bad across the league to peers who admire Kemba, we were bad enough at attracting free agents before this, it will be worse now.

3. Lowball Kemba, then overpay Terry Rozier? This adds the cherry on top and makes this organization the laughing stock of the league, and maybe all of pro sports. Terry Rozier is not leading us anywhere, such a waste of that kind of money. Terry Rozier will make more money in 3 years than you paid Kemba his entire time in Charlotte, WOW just WOW!!

I'm not sure what they are thinking. As a fan I would rather see and would support a rebuild effort before what is currently happening. Watching a terrible isn't fun, but I would rather watch a terrible team with a clear direction on rebuilding over a team that actually still thinks they have a shot to compete with this roster. A true rebuild gives hope for the future. What is going on now makes us hope there is even a future for basketball in Charlotte.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#982 » by catch20two » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:08 pm

stinger14 wrote:I would rather watch a terrible team with a clear direction on rebuilding over a team that actually still thinks they have a shot to compete with this roster. A true rebuild gives hope for the future. What is going on now makes us hope there is even a future for basketball in Charlotte.

Hornets are the worst team in the league now and if not then they’re arguably within the worst 3. I don’t think they expect to compete lol. However I do understand the doubt of future for basketball in Charlotte.

A full tank (whether intentional or unintentional) and rebuild is upon you. Scouting next year’s draft prospects will be the team’s priority right next to trying to develop the young players currently on the roster.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#983 » by LofJ » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:03 pm

I actually trust Mitch to draft well, the team just has to hope that the lottery doesn't crush our dreams again.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#984 » by Robot Rock » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:20 pm

If the 49ers become regular tournament fodder, there's a future for Charlotte basketball. That's the only pathway to success around here.
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#985 » by Robot Rock » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:22 pm

Honest to God I look at this roster and I can't see more than nine wins. It's not even awful to me anymore. it's hilarious.

I'm gonna go to a few regular-season games expecting the same level of entertainment I'd receive at a good comedy club.
stinger14
Starter

Post#986 » by stinger14 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:26 pm

catch20two wrote:
stinger14 wrote:I would rather watch a terrible team with a clear direction on rebuilding over a team that actually still thinks they have a shot to compete with this roster. A true rebuild gives hope for the future. What is going on now makes us hope there is even a future for basketball in Charlotte.

Hornets are the worst team in the league now and if not then they’re arguably within the worst 3. I don’t think they expect to compete lol. However I do understand the doubt of future for basketball in Charlotte.

A full tank (whether intentional or unintentional) and rebuild is upon you. Scouting next year’s draft prospects will be the team’s priority right next to trying to develop the young players currently on the roster.

I agree that a rebuild is upon us whether management wants to admit it or not. That's my problem, management want publicly commit to the proper direction. They signed Rozier and want to sell the fans on trying to still be competitive. As a fan I want to hear a clear direction from management and not get the run around BS.

As for next years draft, I wish we could find a way to land a 2nd lottery pick. The 2020 draft looks to have some talent with a lot of potential in areas this team could use it
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#987 » by Robot Rock » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:42 pm

stinger14 wrote:
catch20two wrote:

I agree that a rebuild is upon us whether management wants to admit it or not. That's my problem, management want publicly commit to the proper direction. They signed Rozier and want to sell the fans on trying to still be competitive.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And who is buying in on that "trying to still be competitive" narrative? Every Twitter mention they get is "poverty franchise" and "0-82," so if there are people who expect 30-40 wins this season, they should be locked up and thrown in a psych ward.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#988 » by LofJ » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:51 pm

The young players are buying that the team will be competitive. Bacon and Miles in particular seem ticked off that everyone is doubting them. And that is a good thing because regardless of what the team's record ends up being you want your young guys to be hungry and motivated.
stinger14
Starter

Post#989 » by stinger14 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:12 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
stinger14 wrote:
catch20two wrote:Hornets are the worst team in the league now and if not then they’re arguably within the worst 3. I don’t think they expect to compete lol. However I do understand the doubt of future for basketball in Charlotte.

I agree that a rebuild is upon us whether management wants to admit it or not. That's my problem, management want publicly commit to the proper direction. They signed Rozier and want to sell the fans on trying to still be competitive.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And who is buying in on that "trying to still be competitive" narrative? Every Twitter mention they get is "poverty franchise" and "0-82," so if there are people who expect 30-40 wins this season, they should be locked up and thrown in a psych ward.

Never said anyone is buying in on it, I said management needs to stop TRYING to get people to buy in on being competitive. I said they need to commit and admit to a full rebuild.
Robot Rock
Starter

Post#990 » by Robot Rock » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:56 pm

LofJ wrote:The young players are buying that the team will be competitive. Bacon and Miles in particular seem ticked off that everyone is doubting them. And that is a good thing because regardless of what the team's record ends up being you want your young guys to be hungry and motivated.

Completely agree. Want them to come out and play their asses off. Just saying there's not enough talent to win more than a handful of NBA games.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#991 » by 316Hornets » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:20 pm

Now that Kemba is a Celtic, it's amazing to me all the press coverage he has already received. It's like night and day.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#992 » by BigRedDog » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:52 pm

316Hornets wrote:Now that Kemba is a Celtic, it's amazing to me all the press coverage he has already received. It's like night and day.

He's gonna catch a lot of blame when the Celtics aren't contenders in the East.

They simply aren't that good without Al Horford spacing the floor and anchoring them defensively.

Beyond that Rozier and Baynes are both elite defenders at their position and their depth goes froma sstrength to a weakness.

Now they have Kanter who is immobile in the PNR so he likes to set up on the low block and clog driving lanes for Brown/Tatum... and is gonna take away the spacing Horford provided with his DHO game and Pick & Pops.

And Kanter is a disaster defensively.

I think this team is in for a rude awakening. They are nowhere near as good as PHI or MIL. And I wouldnt be shocked at all if other teams like Miami/Indy are better than them.

I think Kemba made a huge mistake not going to LAL... He could have studded out with Lebron/Davis. Kemba is good both on and/off the ball so he's a great fit rotating on his alpha dog possessions or just spotting up or coming off screens for open 3 point looks.

He would have been on an instant contender with plenty of attention on his skills. I mean People actually believed Kyrie was a top 10 player in this league when he played with Lebron.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#993 » by catch20two » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:21 am

BigRedDog wrote:
316Hornets wrote:Now that Kemba is a Celtic, it's amazing to me all the press coverage he has already received. It's like night and day.

They simply aren't that good without Al Horford spacing the floor and anchoring them defensively.

Beyond that Rozier and Baynes are both elite defenders at their position and their depth goes froma sstrength to a weakness.

Now they have Kanter who is immobile in the PNR so he likes to set up on the low block and clog driving lanes for Brown/Tatum... and is gonna take away the spacing Horford provided with his DHO game and Pick & Pops.

I think this team is in for a rude awakening. They are nowhere near as good as PHI or MIL. And I wouldnt be shocked at all if other teams like Miami/Indy are better than them.

I think Kemba made a huge mistake not going to LAL... He could have studded out with Lebron/Davis. Kemba is good both on and/off the ball so he's a great fit rotating on his alpha dog possessions or just spotting up or coming off screens for open 3 point looks.

He would have been on an instant contender with plenty of attention on his skills. I mean People actually believed Kyrie was a top 10 player in this league when he played with Lebron.

I think you’re wrong about Kemba catching a lot of blame if the Celtics aren’t contenders and you just did a rundown of all the reasons he won’t.

The Celtics don’t even have the same expectations as they did last year. I think most people only expectations of them is to make the playoffs as a top 3-5 seed and to be a 2nd round exit. Anything more than that Kemba will get a lot of credit for.

I’m under the impression that if the Celtics disappoint then Tatum and Brown will get most of the flack for their lack of development and Hayward will receive a lot of disdain for his contract being bad.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#994 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:53 am

catch20two wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

I think you’re wrong about Kemba catching a lot of blame if the Celtics aren’t contenders and you just did a rundown of all the reasons he won’t.

The Celtics don’t even have the same expectations as they did last year. I think most people only expectations of them is to make the playoffs as a top 3-5 seed and to be a 2nd round exit. Anything more than that Kemba will get a lot of credit for.

I’m under the impression that if the Celtics disappoint then Tatum and Brown will get most of the flack for their lack of development and Hayward will receive a lot of disdain for his contract being bad.

Trust me the media and fans in general will ignore my rundown and just go with the lazy Kyrie > Kemba narrative.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#995 » by catch20two » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:24 am

BigRedDog wrote:
catch20two wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

Trust me the media and fans in general will ignore my rundown and just go with the lazy Kyrie > Kemba narrative.

I can see it happening but I doubt it would be a widely spread narrative on a lot of platforms unless they are almost out of the playoff picture as a 6-10 seed.

Most pundits already say that Kemba is a similar but lesser version of Kyrie. If anything I expect it from lesser respected sports critics like Cris Carter or Nick Wright. They seem to do lazy hot takes.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#996 » by catch20two » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:27 am

Really looking forward to seeing Kemba play for and within Brad Stevens system probably more than anything else when I think about him on the Celtics. A year ago I was almost ready to jump off the ledge and call Stevens the best coach in the NBA currently, Popovich’s legacy aside.

Return to Charlotte Hornets