ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston Enes Kanter!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Re: Welcome to Boston Enes Kanter! 

Post#441 » by Asian Celtic » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:15 am

Did anybody mention that Kanter played with Hayward in Utah for a couple of years? Should help with some established chemisty.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#442 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:45 pm

Asian Celtic wrote:Did anybody mention that Kanter played with Hayward in Utah for a couple of years? Should help with some established chemisty.

A while back I found and posted a highlight video of Kanter from one of those years. Unfortunately, I didn't see much evidence of the chemistry.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#443 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 10:22 pm

Read on Twitter
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#444 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:25 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Asian Celtic wrote:Did anybody mention that Kanter played with Hayward in Utah for a couple of years? Should help with some established chemisty.

A while back I found and posted a highlight video of Kanter from one of those years. Unfortunately, I didn't see much evidence of the chemistry.

Presumably at least some teammate chemistry since they already played 2 on 2 with JB and TF.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#445 » by GuyClinch » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:58 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
kivancb wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:This sucks. This absolutely sucks.

Read on Twitter

It does. I would like to share a direct link written by me - an introduction about Enes Kanter. As I am Turkish, I do happen to know a lot about his history and his ties to the Islamic clerk and Turkish government of a mess pretty well:

http://celticshomecourt.freeforums.net/post/74757/thread

tldr: I hope he gets his sh*t straight but I do not trust Enes Kanter.

I respect your opinion but just because you are Turkish it doesn't make your opinion of him any more valid than his account of the situation or himself.

Take America for instance, I would hope no one sees/hears a Trump supporter and think that that represents the truth of America, I would hope people would look at more perspectives and then decide. Being American doesn't just make an opinion, especially on these things, right. As a supporter of Sanders I still feel the same, even though I fully believe in my opinion that he is a vastly superior representation, I would still hope people would listen to Trump/his supporters side and decide for themselves.

What I'm saying is, you may be right, Kanter needs to get his shat straight, but I offer that MAYBE he does have it together and you and/or your government needs to get it together.

There are many sides to a story. I can put together an entire article on why Trump is the greatest president of all time, especially if I gather all my info from conservative sources or arrange facts in a way that would fit my narrative. It doesn't make it true.
Spoiler:
excuse me while I throw-up

Protip - don't bring Trump into everything. If you want to say hey you can still be wrong about Turkey even if your Turkish just say that. It's not a very difficult concept. Instead you slip into this weird digression.

FWIW I agree with you - its likely the Turkish Dictator that's at fault - and Kanter is probably alright. But its fascinating that Gulen - who Kanter was working with was also an Islamist. As Kanter kinda makes it seem that he is more secular. Looking Gulen's wiki seems that he was kinda pretending to be more secular..
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,555

Post#446 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:56 am

GuyClinch wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
kivancb wrote:
It does. I would like to share a direct link written by me - an introduction about Enes Kanter. As I am Turkish, I do happen to know a lot about his history and his ties to the Islamic clerk and Turkish government of a mess pretty well:

http://celticshomecourt.freeforums.net/post/74757/thread

tldr: I hope he gets his sh*t straight but I do not trust Enes Kanter.

I respect your opinion but just because you are Turkish it doesn't make your opinion of him any more valid than his account of the situation or himself.

Take America for instance, I would hope no one sees/hears a Trump supporter and think that that represents the truth of America, I would hope people would look at more perspectives and then decide. Being American doesn't just make an opinion, especially on these things, right. As a supporter of Sanders I still feel the same, even though I fully believe in my opinion that he is a vastly superior representation, I would still hope people would listen to Trump/his supporters side and decide for themselves.

What I'm saying is, you may be right, Kanter needs to get his shat straight, but I offer that MAYBE he does have it together and you and/or your government needs to get it together.

There are many sides to a story. I can put together an entire article on why Trump is the greatest president of all time, especially if I gather all my info from conservative sources or arrange facts in a way that would fit my narrative. It doesn't make it true.
Spoiler:

Protip - don't bring Trump into everything. If you want to say hey you can still be wrong about Turkey even if your Turkish just say that. It's not a very difficult concept. Instead you slip into this weird digression.

FWIW I agree with you - its likely the Turkish Dictator that's at fault - and Kanter is probably alright. But its fascinating that Gulen - who Kanter was working with was also an Islamist. As Kanter kinda makes it seem that he is more secular. Looking Gulen's wiki seems that he was kinda pretending to be more secular..

I was about to lay in and decided, it's not worth it. Just keep your tip and good luck to you! :thumbsup:
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#447 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Aug 4, 2019 5:59 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
kid moment: :rofl: he said "anus" :D
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#448 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:23 am

If you want to stay at the level of generality in which we say things like:
-- Erdogan is a modern Putinesque dictator.
-- He has had classic fallings out with allies, most famously Gulen.
-- Erdogan's supporters are typical more pious, poorer, less educated, etc. than his opponents.

then it's not important to note the various unique factors at play in Turkey. If you want to drill down to more detail, however, then Turkey is pretty unique.

For example:
-- Kemal "Ataturk" forced the Westernization of what had previously been a major power in a way that's rare enough in history for each case to be unique. It's certainly happened before, e.g. under Peter the Great in Russia, Japan under Emporer Meiji, Japan again after WW2, China once or twice ... but I'm already running low on examples that are remotely comparable in status to the Ottoman Empire.
-- The military exercised control in Turkey in a way that was pretty unusual. They allowed civilian parliamentary governments to do their thing, within a few constraints, but periodically stepped in to clean things up, then stepped back again and let the (commonly incompetent) civilians proceed again. They even executed prime ministers from time to time, not necessarily deservedly.
-- The military was, for many decades, HIGHLY respected in Turkey. If nothing else, that was where a large fraction of the males in Turkey learned to read, due to terrible schools and universal male conscription.
-- Turkey was overwhelmingly Muslim like the US is overwhelmingly Christian. But pious believers felt looked down on and oppressed, most famously in the prohibitions against headscarfs.
-- Erdogan came to fame by being an effective mayor of the huge city of Istanbul. He also figured out how to have a religion-based political party that was not SO religious that the army banned it, liked it did predecessor parties.
-- He came to national power in fair elections. He overturned some of the anti-religious discrimination. He governed generally inoffensively and well for some years.
-- Then came the purges, corruption, greater oppression and general megalomania.
-- The first dubious purge was of the secular army leadership, in a supposed corruption scandal called Ergenekon. Gulen and Erdogan were still on the same side then.
-- Then came corruption scandals in Erdogan's ranks. Erdogan and Gulen were on very different sides for those.
-- It is generally believed that the coup attempt was real. But it is not generally believed that Erdogan's list of scapegoat villains is accurate.

As for how I know all this -- well, both my wife and later my stepdaughter lived there, I visited there myself, and I started the highly regarded blog Kamil Pasha as a gift to my friend the author. :) http://kamilpasha.com/?p=4607
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#449 » by GuyClinch » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:33 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:If you want to stay at the level of generality in which we say things like:
-- Erdogan is a modern Putinesque dictator.
-- He has had classic fallings out with allies, most famously Gulen.
-- Erdogan's supporters are typical more pious, poorer, less educated, etc. than his opponents.

then it's not important to note the various unique factors at play in Turkey. If you want to drill down to more detail, however, then Turkey is pretty unique.

For example:
-- Kemal "Ataturk" forced the Westernization of what had previously been a major power in a way that's rare enough in history for each case to be unique. It's certainly happened before, e.g. under Peter the Great in Russia, Japan under Emporer Meiji, Japan again after WW2, China once or twice ... but I'm already running low on examples that are remotely comparable in status to the Ottoman Empire.
-- The military exercised control in Turkey in a way that was pretty unusual. They allowed civilian parliamentary governments to do their thing, within a few constraints, but periodically stepped in to clean things up, then stepped back again and let the (commonly incompetent) civilians proceed again. They even executed prime ministers from time to time, not necessarily deservedly.
-- They military was, for many decades, HIGHLY respected in Turkey. If nothing else, that was where a large fraction of the males in Turkey learned to read, due to terrible schools and universal male conscription.
-- Turkey was overwhelmingly Muslim like the US is overwhelmingly Christian. But pious believers felt looked down on and oppressed, most famously in the prohibitions against headscarfs.
-- Erdogan came to fame by being an effective mayor of the huge city of Istanbul. He also figured out how to have a religion-based political party that was not SO religious that the army banned it, liked it did predecessor parties.
-- He came to national power in fair elections. He overturned some of the anti-religious discrimination. He governed generally inoffensively and well for some years.
-- Then came the purges, corruption, greater oppression and general megalomania.
-- The first dubious purge was of the secular army leadership, in a supposed corruption scandal called Ergenekon. Gulen and Erdogan were still on the same side then.
-- Then came corruption scandals in Erdogan's ranks. Erdogan and Gulen were on very different sides for those.
-- It is generally believed that the coup attempt was real. But it is not generally believed that Erdogan's list of scapegoat villains is accurate.

As for how I know all this -- well, both my wife and later my stepdaughter lived there, I visited there myself, and I started the highly regarded blog Kamil Pasha as a gift to my friend the author. :) http://kamilpasha.com/?p=4607

Wow.. Impressive post. I knew Turkey has been moving more towards a less secular and more Islamic state - but it's like we got the inside scoop now. Kanter does seem to be in a strange spot. I don't think he is US citizen yet right? Seems like a guy who should apply for asylum - if he has not. Erdogan is out to get all his enemies right? It's not really ideological - its probably more political.
I wonder is Kanter has become more secular now after being in the States for an extended period..
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#450 » by Floody100 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:15 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:

Spoiler:

I was about to lay in and decided, it's not worth it. Just keep your tip and good luck to you! :thumbsup:

Stop being ignorant, Trumps doing more for America than Sanders would’ve ever done. All I hear from Bernie is a whole lot of dribble without any solutions.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#451 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:45 am

Floody100 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:

Stop being ignorant, Trumps doing more for America than Sanders would’ve ever done. All I hear from Bernie is a whole lot of dribble without any solutions.

:thumbsup:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#452 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:31 pm

Floody100 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:

If by "more" you mean something like "more catastrophic damage", you're both correct and among the majority of people who actually pay attention to facts. If, as I fear, you mean the opposite ... well, this isn't a political subforum, so I won't express myself fully.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#453 » by ParticleMan » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:24 pm

Enough politics guys. Take it elsewhere.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#454 » by Floody100 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:30 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Floody100 wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:

If by "more" you mean something like "more catastrophic damage", you're both correct and among the majority of people who actually pay attention to facts. If, as I fear, you mean the opposite ... well, this isn't a political subforum, so I won't express myself fully.

This is not a political forum. Last warning.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#455 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Amusing little comparison between Moses Malone and Enes Kanter.

http://www.backpicks.com/2018/01/08/backpicks-goat-24-moses-malone/

(Just search the page on Kanter's name.)
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 9,990

Post#456 » by Dogen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Amusing little comparison between Moses Malone and Enes Kanter.

http://www.backpicks.com/2018/01/08/backpicks-goat-24-moses-malone/

(Just search the page on Kanter's name.)

We got the Modern Moses!
Hey you! Can we come together?
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#457 » by ballup » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:33 pm

So I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Brad may already have a way to build a defense with Kanter in mind. Use the scheme they ran when Sully was on the team.

If you don't remember or know what I'm talking about, what you do is you put strong pressure on the perimeter and funnel all drives into the middle. Kanter will roam the paint and box out for the board since rebounding is one of his strengths. Now of course there is a clear weakness where the team will give up rim protection and Kanter isn't as nimble/smart as Sully was. Plus 1/5 PnRs would still be an issue, which would be the case regardless.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,215

Post#458 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 5:26 am

Read on Twitter

This Guy seems pretty decent.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#459 » by cloverleaf » Sun Sep 8, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm not so sure his support for Gulen is a good idea, but yeah, his heart is definitely in the right place with the camps--both in price and quantity. I'm sure he's making a real difference in a lot of kids' summers.

I also like his seeming openness to hanging with the rooks and all. Definitely a good team influence in that sense. Plus of course he has some big-man skills the team lacks otherwise. I am hoping that by the year's end Rob will have taken the starting spot from him, but he and Rob are both playing 20-25 minutes a game -- and Tacko is getting 5-6 situational minutes as well! (Theis to me is more of a backup 4 and injury-replacement/tiny-ball 5 this year.)
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,673

Post#460 » by Celtic Esquire » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:32 am

Kanter just won the WWE 24/7 title and and then promptly lost the title when he ripped off his warm up jacket to show his Celtics jersey and got pinned by the former champion. :lol:

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics