Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2020 Draft 

Post#41 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:40 pm

dangermouse wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I feel comfortable saying LaMelo Ball is a really good prospect. Based on the early mock drafts I think he's underrated. He's got a lot of skill for guy that's now 6-8?

Speaking of LaMelo, he signed with my local team
https://www.hawks.com.au/news/article/illawarra-hawks-sign-lamelo-ball

So I will be getting to as many games to see him in person as possible, and considering Wiz will likely have a shot at grabbing him in our draft range, perhaps ill even give a regular scouting update with box scores etc.

Question I would ask - can he play in a team concept, or will he be air-balling 30 footers at the beginning of shot clocks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:33 pm

Scouting Biggest Weakness of Every Top 2020 Prospect

LaMelo Ball (Australia, PG/SG, 2001)

Weakness to monitor: Inefficiency/shot selection

Scouts should be thrilled that LaMelo Ball chose Australia over training away from competition.

He won't have the freedom to launch logo pull-ups for the Illawarra Hawks, playing alongside and against grown men and pros with more on the line.

Known for his skill level but also over-the-top flash in terms of shot selection and decision-making, Ball should be eager to show NBA teams he can efficiently score and pass in a structured offense.

His body and versatility have developed nicely throughout high school. Now, teams will focus on assessing whether Ball's maturity and professionalism have similarly improved.
Bleacher Report
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Scouting Biggest Weakness of Every Top 2020 Prospect

LaMelo Ball (Australia, PG/SG, 2001)

Weakness to monitor: Inefficiency/shot selection

Scouts should be thrilled that LaMelo Ball chose Australia over training away from competition.

He won't have the freedom to launch logo pull-ups for the Illawarra Hawks, playing alongside and against grown men and pros with more on the line.

Known for his skill level but also over-the-top flash in terms of shot selection and decision-making, Ball should be eager to show NBA teams he can efficiently score and pass in a structured offense.

His body and versatility have developed nicely throughout high school. Now, teams will focus on assessing whether Ball's maturity and professionalism have similarly improved.
Bleacher Report

From that video, it looks like LaMelo wants to be a PG, and he shows some nice passing ability. His shooting needs a lot of work - particularly with his poor shot selection. He doesn't have anywhere near the quick release that Curry has. I wonder if he's done growing - maybe he'll get up to 6'9. He seems like a classi boom or bust guy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#44 » by Dat2U » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dangermouse wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I feel comfortable saying LaMelo Ball is a really good prospect. Based on the early mock drafts I think he's underrated. He's got a lot of skill for guy that's now 6-8?

So I will be getting to as many games to see him in person as possible, and considering Wiz will likely have a shot at grabbing him in our draft range, perhaps ill even give a regular scouting update with box scores etc.

Question I would ask - can he play in a team concept, or will he be air-balling 30 footers at the beginning of shot clocks.

It appears that's been coached out of his game based on recent feedback.

His game from his first stint in high school to his second stint has made an 180 degree turn. At Chino Hills he was known as a shoot first, shot chucker with minuscule flashes of ball handling and playmaking packed into a 5’8’ frame. At Chino Hills his scoring prowess was on full display, but now at Spire Academy he is a team player that looks to get his teammates shots rather than himself. Not only has he reigned in his shot selection but he has been able to truly show off his passing acumen, creating for his teammate Isaiah Jackson much like his older brother, Lonzo, did at UCLA for TJ Leaf getting the most out of their respective play-styles.

https://basketballsocietyonline.com/is-lamelo-ball-a-legitimate-nba-prospect
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#45 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 11:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
dangermouse wrote:

Everyone says this, but we haven’t seen him play on a serious team yet to really show that side of his game.

LaMelo’s brother is a pro , who has a great IQ and will be able to expose him to the challenges/nuances of the pro game and what teams will be looking for. He’s going to spend a year playing with and against grown men in the Australian league, and I actually think he will he more prepared by the time he gets to the league than a lot of other prospects.

As long as he isn’t some punk a-hole (which I don’t believe he is, despite outward appearances it’s clear that Lavar raised his boys with a strong upbringing) and no red flags pop up, I see no reason why LaMelo can’t translate his talent to the next level. He mainly just needs to add strength , for right now.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:12 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
dangermouse wrote:

Everyone says this, but we haven’t seen him play on a serious team yet to really show that side of his game.

LaMelo’s brother is a pro , who has a great IQ and will be able to expose him to the challenges/nuances of the pro game and what teams will be looking for. He’s going to spend a year playing with and against grown men in the Australian league, and I actually think he will he more prepared by the time he gets to the league than a lot of other prospects.

As long as he isn’t some punk a-hole (which I don’t believe he is, despite outward appearances it’s clear that Lavar raised his boys with a strong upbringing) and no red flags pop up, I see no reason why LaMelo can’t translate his talent to the next level. He mainly just needs to add strength , for right now.

I said "Question I would ask". I'm not assuming anything - con or pro - including anything based on his brothers.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:16 pm

Ranking the Top 50 NBA Draft Prospects in 2020

5. LaMelo Ball (Illawarra Hawks, PG/SG, 2001)

One of the biggest questions of the 2020 draft asks whether there is substance behind LaMelo Ball's flash and name recognition.

Scouts will be camped out in Australia to find out. This year represents a major test for Ball, as well as a rare scouting opportunity for evaluators, since the 17-year-old has no FIBA experience and didn't play in any of the high school All-Star showcases. Teams will be eager to assess Ball's professionalism and ability to play in a structured offense with and against men and former NBA players.

I'm expecting his physical tools and skill versatility to ultimately outshine the bad shots, turnovers and lack of strength.

The 6'6" ball-handler has gotten taller and bouncier over the years. He's added coordinated finishes to his layup package. He's an advanced and willing passer despite a tendency to attempt hero jump shots. Ball isn't a consistent shooter, and some of his misses can be way off, but he's a high-level shot-maker out to NBA range.

His style isn't for everyone, but as a scoring playmaker, he is suited for the point guard spot in today's NBA.

I'm also putting more stock in what he can do at this age versus correctable weaknesses that need improvement, like shot selection, decision-making and on-ball defense. As long as no red flags pop up about character or work ethic overseas, Ball should be a good bet to work his way into 2020's top 10.
Bleacher Report
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,320

Post#48 » by nate33 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:39 am

Well, if Beal ends up departing in free agency in 2021, leaving us with a lousy team for the 2021-22 season, we've got our backup plan already in place:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/13/emoni-bates-is-basketballs-next-teenage-phenom-better-than-lebron/

“He has a chance to be ahead of LeBron. I’ve never seen a better freshman,” a longtime scout told the website. “He’s a prospect that’s dominant as a ninth-grader. That’s rare. Normally prospects are guys with high upside or potential that you haven’t fulfilled. His potential is high, but he’s doing it now.”

Bates, a native of Ypsilanti, Mich., is a 6-foot-8 forward ranked as the top prospect in the class of 2022. As another youth basketball observer explained to ESPN, Bates has “size, skill, killer mentality, shooting ability,” a combination the person has never seen out of a player Bates’ age.

The rising sophomore led Lincoln High School in Michigan to its first state title last season and dazzled at the Nike Peach Jam amateur showcase last month, averaging 32.3 points, 10 rebounds and four assists per game.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:58 am

nate33 wrote:Well, if Beal ends up departing in free agency in 2021, leaving us with a lousy team for the 2021-22 season, we've got our backup plan already in place:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/13/emoni-bates-is-basketballs-next-teenage-phenom-better-than-lebron/

“He has a chance to be ahead of LeBron. I’ve never seen a better freshman,” a longtime scout told the website. “He’s a prospect that’s dominant as a ninth-grader. That’s rare. Normally prospects are guys with high upside or potential that you haven’t fulfilled. His potential is high, but he’s doing it now.”

Bates, a native of Ypsilanti, Mich., is a 6-foot-8 forward ranked as the top prospect in the class of 2022. As another youth basketball observer explained to ESPN, Bates has “size, skill, killer mentality, shooting ability,” a combination the person has never seen out of a player Bates’ age.

The rising sophomore led Lincoln High School in Michigan to its first state title last season and dazzled at the Nike Peach Jam amateur showcase last month, averaging 32.3 points, 10 rebounds and four assists per game.

Ok, let's start collecting 2022 1st rounders. :wink:

Looking at 2020, maybe the most intriguing player is Scottie Lewis - even though he's rated about 20th in the mocks I've seen. Right now, he's a great athlete and great defender, and his offense is behind, but he seems to have some offensive skills that just need to be developed. Otoh, he's small to play the 3. Deni Avdija is the obvious target for the Wiz - depending on how his 3 point shot looks. And Jalen Smith is someone to follow - also depending on how his 3 point shot develops. But can Stix play with Rui? Right now -no, but I don't want to say that can't change. I see Smith becoming one of the most dynamic players in college next season.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:14 pm

Here's a player to keep an eye on - Amar Sylla. http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/amar-sylla.html I know nothing about him, but when the comp for him is Pascal Siakam, he's probably worth looking into at some point.
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#51 » by youngWizzy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:49 am

What about Precious Achiuwa? Great size and length for his position.

Im not sure I can see the Wiz trying to get a player from a smaller school like Memphis. Still, cool name :lol:
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#52 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:17 pm

youngWizzy wrote:What about Precious Achiuwa? Great size and length for his position.

Im not sure I can see the Wiz trying to get a player from a smaller school like Memphis. Still, cool name :lol:

Achiuwa is an energy forward at his core, he was hyped up as having high offensive upside but I think those notions were dispelled as he went through the elite HS circuit.

IF the Wiz are anticipating landing a lottery pick (top 10) then imo he’s not someone who should be on our radar too much. He’s more of a mid-first type guy

Btw Memphis is expected to be a high-profile team this season under HC Penny Hardaway (yes that one), they also have James Wiseman who is projected as a 2020 lottery pick.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#53 » by pancakes3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 pm

i'm usually a "draft talent, not need" guy but with so much money tied up in the backcourt, it seems pretty obvious that we have to draft forwards, and if the opportunity presents itself - a rim protector. Not just a tall guy with long arms, but someone who's can be a legitimate deterrent.
Bullets -> Wizards
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:39 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am

This kid seems like the ideal centerpiece for your rebuild efforts.

Read on Twitter

Edwards possesses a unique blend of strength, speed and body control that give him tremendous upside. He’s an extremely physically gifted get for Georgia, with decent length, a strong build and good overall size. He’s most effective with the ball in his hands in a James Harden-esque way and is an incredibly versatile asset, which is why the McDonald’s All-American could also be handed the keys to run point, where he creates an immediate matchup problem for most opponents. Nicknamed ‘AntMan,’ Edwards boasts an explosive athleticism, above average handles and a nimbleness that helps him navigate seemingly effortlessly in traffic. He’s a good passer with great vision and an aggressive scorer. He can break down defenders and is a terrific finisher at the rim, has developed into a solid threat from three and is also well-equipped to wreak havoc in the mid-range and make shots off the catch or on the move. As a senior, Edwards averaged 25.7 points, 9.6 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.1 steals and 1.1 blocks per game, doing damage across a slew of stats. He’s a capable playmaker but his decision-making could use some polish and he needs to work on his shot selection. His potential is sky-high. The McDonald’s All-American also brings a defensive boost to Crean’s young squad thanks to his sheer physical ability. Edwards should be expected to shoulder a heavy load this season.
SI.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#56 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:54 am

This kid is going to be a beast:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 am

But this is the kid you guys are most likely looking forward to:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:08 am

Jamaaliver wrote:But this is the kid you guys are most likely looking forward to:

Read on Twitter

Edwards should definitely go ahead of Wiseman. Edwards is a pure scorer, a great athlete with strength and length, and... can create for his teammates. That's a rare combo. And he looks taller than his listed height of 6'4.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#60 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 am

Ruzious wrote:Edwards should definitely go ahead of Wiseman. Edwards is a pure scorer, a great athlete with strength and length, and... can create for his teammates. That's a rare combo. And he looks taller than his listed height of 6'4.

I wholeheartedly agree. But I get the feeling many Wizards fans are still stuck on their backcourt of Wall and Beal and are looking to build around their current iteration instead of rebuilding for the long haul...

Case in point:

pancakes3 wrote:i'm usually a "draft talent, not need" guy but with so much money tied up in the backcourt, it seems pretty obvious that we have to draft forwards, and if the opportunity presents itself - a rim protector. Not just a tall guy with long arms, but someone who's can be a legitimate deterrent.

Return to Washington Wizards