ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the Offseason, Take 2

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,914

Re: Around the Offseason, Take 2 

Post#261 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:44 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:All you you who got all hyped up and then bamboozled for KD and Kyrie are too funny. Then you all were going to trade half the roster for AD. Wow. And now we found out KD never even gave a shyt about us. We weren’t even a blip on his radar. Ever.

-“The Knicks must have inside info that KD is coming. It’s gonna be great.”

-“Did you see the report about KD, even the Warriors players are saying he’s coming to the Knicks. My only thing is I’d rather have Kawhi than Kyrie. And then we trade Mitch, Knox, Trier, the two Dallas picks and our ‘20 number 1 pick and we fly.”

I dub you all “Charlie Brown” for one year.

Don’t keep falling for this stuff. We are the bridesmaid, never the bride. Would you want to walk down the aisle with James Dolan? LOL. We’re on our own, folks.

...or KD is lying since he had no other choice

He can't say "Yeah, I thought about them and then I chose the Nets." :lol: Or does that violate "the code."

He can't say "The Knicks have a nice young team but they're not ready yet"?

Well, he might be not happy that we dropped him like a bag of trash after he got injured.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#262 » by Ray Williams » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:46 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:All you you who got all hyped up and then bamboozled for KD and Kyrie are too funny. Then you all were going to trade half the roster for AD. Wow. And now we found out KD never even gave a shyt about us. We weren’t even a blip on his radar. Ever.

-“Did you see the report about KD, even the Warriors players are saying he’s coming to the Knicks. My only thing is I’d rather have Kawhi than Kyrie. And then we trade Mitch, Knox, Trier, the two Dallas picks and our ‘20 number 1 pick and we fly.”

Don’t keep falling for this stuff. We are the bridesmaid, never the bride. Would you want to walk down the aisle with James Dolan? LOL. We’re on our own, folks.

a possibility. but i never forgot KD's "never" about the knicks. i felt that. :lol:

“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
-Dalai Lama
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#263 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:52 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
I would not be surprised if Fiz sorts out which of the vet signings he wants to emphasize first and then the youth minutes climb the rest of the season.

That way they may determine if they have any interest in exercising the options for any of the 1 + 1 contracts.

In a sense, everyone is auditioning for minutes. And Fiz may be auditioning to continue in his job based on how he handles that task.

One thing that worries me is that this was kind of what we were doing last year -- auditioning guys like Mudiay, Burke, Mario, and Vonleh to see if they were worth keeping, and then getting some mins for Knox, Mitch, Trier, Dotson, Frank, and Smith (after we acquired him). Fiz never really installed a system, under the justification that he was seeing what we had first and letting guys show their stuff.

Granted, last season was a tank year, so I'm willing to give Fiz a fresh start. And I'm not against building slowly and taking some time to figure out which players are keepers for the future. But I hope this year we'll see more than just "go get yours" and maybe start to develop some identity/culture, particularly on the defensive end. In that sense, I agree it could be an audition for Fiz as well.
YMMV
Ballboy
And1: 44

Post#264 » by YMMV » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:53 pm

God I wished JVG was our HC again instead of flat soda with the hot wife.

HerSports85 wrote:Image
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,872

Post#265 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:04 pm

Ray Williams wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
GONYK wrote:

a possibility. but i never forgot KD's "never" about the knicks. i felt that. :lol:

“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
-Dalai Lama

yeah. the good side is i don't have to stay awake at night worrying about the many concerns i had about KD's recovery and mental makeup. i would have gladly taken him, but those concerns never would have left me.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#266 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:07 pm

YMMV wrote:God I wished JVG was our HC again instead of flat soda with the hot wife.

as you can probably tell by my screen name, i love me some JVG.

but fans were frustrated with his offensive schemes in 2000. :lol: i couldn't see him adjusting to coaching today's game at the HC level. i think his role with team USA is perfect because they can get the most out of him as a teacher and identity guy. and you listen to the way he commentates. he is such a curmudgeon about the current state of the game. :lol:

oh, man. i'd drink cyanide if i had to watch a JVG offense in 2019.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#267 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:10 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
I would not be surprised if Fiz sorts out which of the vet signings he wants to emphasize first and then the youth minutes climb the rest of the season.

That way they may determine if they have any interest in exercising the options for any of the 1 + 1 contracts.

In a sense, everyone is auditioning for minutes. And Fiz may be auditioning to continue in his job based on how he handles that task.

One thing that worries me is that this was kind of what we were doing last year -- auditioning guys like Mudiay, Burke, Mario, and Vonleh to see if they were worth keeping, and then getting some mins for Knox, Mitch, Trier, Dotson, Frank, and Smith (after we acquired him). Fiz never really installed a system, under the justification that he was seeing what we had first and letting guys show their stuff.

Granted, last season was a tank year, so I'm willing to give Fiz a fresh start. And I'm not against building slowly and taking some time to figure out which players are keepers for the future. But I hope this year we'll see more than just "go get yours" and maybe start to develop some identity/culture, particularly on the defensive end. In that sense, I agree it could be an audition for Fiz as well.

yeah. fiz has to balance that a LOT better this season.

i think the difference is the vets we signed have reason to be more bought in. they don't have to go for theirs because if the team likes them, they stay and their slightly inflated rates. their contracts really kind of incentivize them to be good soldiers, whatever that means to fiz.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#268 » by taj2133 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,603

Post#269 » by Capn'O » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:12 pm

If he had been healthy I think we should have gone all in trying to get him. Players that good don't come around very often. He isn't healthy so no reason to mortgage the farm. If he's not a top 5 player anymore we end up SOL because we'd have so little left after acquiring him and the necessary pieces that would make him want to come here.

As far as whatever he's talking about now? Who cares.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,914

Post#270 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:14 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
YMMV wrote:God I wished JVG was our HC again instead of flat soda with the hot wife.

but fans were frustrated with his offensive schemes in 2000. :lol: i couldn't see him adjusting to coaching today's game at the HC level. i think his role with team USA is perfect because they can get the most out of him as a teacher and identity guy. and you listen to the way he commentates. he is such a curmudgeon about the current state of the game. :lol:

It was either a Ewing post up or a Houston post up. That was basically it :lol:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#271 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:22 pm

GONYK wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: i'm crying

why in the picture he look like he's either telling mitch how to defend the post-up, or how to catch the entry pass for a post-up? :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,261

Post#272 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:23 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Perry and Fiz have a clean slate now. Only 2 Knicks we didnt draft were Frank and Dot which I aint even mad at. I feel like this the first time in my life we actually are rebuilding properly and its honestly a great feeling to have. People can knock us all we want but having some stability is not normal for Knicks fans.

we?

i agree about the stability. rather... i'll agree if we actually stick with these guys and see their plan through, whatever it may be. but it feels like we're digging in for once. not another transient administration.

*he
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#273 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:24 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Perry and Fiz have a clean slate now. Only 2 Knicks we didnt draft were Frank and Dot which I aint even mad at. I feel like this the first time in my life we actually are rebuilding properly and its honestly a great feeling to have. People can knock us all we want but having some stability is not normal for Knicks fans.

we?

i agree about the stability. rather... i'll agree if we actually stick with these guys and see their plan through, whatever it may be. but it feels like we're digging in for once. not another transient administration.

*he

:lol: ahhhhh. roger that.

i was like, "oh sh*t. we wasn't knicks before this?" :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#274 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:33 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

i think the difference is the vets we signed have reason to be more bought in. they don't have to go for theirs because if the team likes them, they stay and their slightly inflated rates. their contracts really kind of incentivize them to be good soldiers, whatever that means to fiz.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I'll also add that a few of those guys -- namely Morris and Gibson -- can hopefully help establish our identity. They remind me of the types of clever additions we used to make during the 90s, adding players like Buck Williams, Chris Mills, Kurt Thomas, and Rick Brunson who fit the culture we wanted.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#275 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:38 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:

Yeah, that's a fair point. I'll also add that a few of those guys -- namely Morris and Gibson -- can hopefully help establish our identity.

i'll add ellington to that list. we don't really need him as much, but he's a vet pro who has given two-way energy since UNC. he can help the young guards and wings a lot.

i'm happy taj is here in a lance thomas kind of way. :lol: love dude, but don't see where he fits or gets PT. but nice to see a local guy like him on the roster. taj is underrated when healthy, but i can't see him playing ahead of all the other guys who i expect to get minutes at his position.

i wonder if bullock will be in the locker room as he recovers.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,979

Post#276 » by Besart19 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:43 pm

Greg Popovich - Head Coach
Rick Adelman - Offensive coach
Jeff Van Gundy - Defensice coach
Hakeem Olajuwon - Big men coach
One analytics guy assitant, another for player development assistan and a world class fitness trainer.

Thats the best coaching staff you could ever had
Strength and Honour!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#277 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:10 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

I done said none a dat. Keep yer club to yerself!

I know you weren’t. That’s why it didn’t concern you. Hint hint.
Free Palestine
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#278 » by King of Canada » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:19 pm

Capn'O wrote:If he had been healthy I think we should have gone all in trying to get him. Players that good don't come around very often. He isn't healthy so no reason to mortgage the farm. If he's not a top 5 player anymore we end up SOL because we'd have so little left after acquiring him and the necessary pieces that would make him want to come here.

As far as whatever he's talking about now? Who cares.

KD can and will say whatever he wants to make himself look as good as possible. In fact, he's paying people hundreds of thousands of dollars to tell him what and when to say those things.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#279 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:23 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: i'm crying

why in the picture he look like he's either telling mitch how to defend the post-up, or how to catch the entry pass for a post-up? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Y’all stoooopid for that.....but so right!
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#280 » by King of Canada » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:29 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill